365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stalking 50

+31
Jim Lentz
Nick Morris
Schuey
wendy_miller
Dave P
nkrichards
amyjoann
Natalie63
healdgator
ounce
fostever
Ben Z
KBFitz
Chris M
JohnP
Seth Harrison
Alex Kubacki
Dave Wolfe
KathyK
T Miller
Kenny B.
mul21
Glenn
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
dot520
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
Michael Enright
Mark B
35 posters

Page 25 of 41 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 33 ... 41  Next

Go down

Stalking 50 - Page 25 Empty Re: Stalking 50

Post  charles.moman Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:35 am

At the ultras I have been at this summer 2 out of 3 had finisher medals.
And they had custom ones made as well.
Bummer because it is expected by most runners and they are not that expensive.

But the rock is cool and no one else has one!
And it is way more meaningful.
Still having "shock" waves in your legs?
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:07 am

Maybe dead frickin' last, but over the finish line and not dead!

Like the rock.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:37 am

Other than that last split (which I didn't even calculate correctly until seeing that chart you posted), I thought you were running the thing really consistently, so it at least didn't SEEM like you were facing major difficulties.  

50mi is a huge accomplishment, no matter which way you spin it.  Hope you're enjoying those burgers.  But really, DQ instead of something more amazing like, say, In-N-Out?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:05 am

charles.moman wrote:At the ultras I have been at this summer 2 out of 3 had finisher medals.
And they had custom ones made as well.
Bummer because it is expected by most runners and they are not that expensive.

But the rock is cool and no one else has one!
And it is way more meaningful.
Still having "shock" waves in your legs?

I don't know of an ultra on the West Coast that gives out medals (buckles for 100-milers, but that's about it). Some will give you a souvenir, like the glass I got, or a water bottle, like they give out at White River 50. At some ultras, they don't even give you a T-shirt, though you can usually buy one separately.

I'm okay with it. The glass will get a lot more regular use (for all sorts of beverages). I've got a bunch of marathon and half marathon medals, but all they do is sit on the top of my dresser, gathering dust, when I don't use 'em as Christmas tree ornaments.

The rock is awesome.

Shock waves? Do you mean the jumping, twitching muscles? Actually, other than right after the race, I never had them.

Michael Enright wrote:Maybe dead frickin' last, but over the finish line and not dead!

Like the rock.

Thanks, Michael! I figure there are only two positions in a race that really count: first and last. Well, I've got one end covered now!

Dead? The rock? Didn't you see those googly eyes? Wink

Mike MacLellan wrote:Other than that last split (which I didn't even calculate correctly until seeing that chart you posted), I thought you were running the thing really consistently, so it at least didn't SEEM like you were facing major difficulties.  

50mi is a huge accomplishment, no matter which way you spin it.  Hope you're enjoying those burgers.  But really, DQ instead of something more amazing like, say, In-N-Out?

Thanks, Mike. The first 28.4 went pretty much on plan, despite some pretty bad GI problems, and I think I could have kept it up a lot longer had my ankles not been so battered. The temperature climbed pretty rapidly in the second half, too, (it was around 40 when we started at 5:30 a.m., but 77 by shortly alter noon) which probably played a role, as did issues with fueling, hydration, etc. A lot of things went wrong.

That said, I keep having to stop and ask myself, "Did I really do that? Really? That far? Really?"

I think I've got the burger craving out of my system now, but yes: DQ has amazing burgers. They're simple and clean, like In-N-Out, with all the toppings you need in the right proportions. They're not over-charred, over-sized, over-greasy, overpriced messes that come apart in your hands. That was the first half-pound, mega-bacon cheeseburger I tried post-race, and it was kind of disgusting to me. So this beautiful second, simple, single cheeseburger tasted like your first meal in heaven. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:49 am

That rock is the best reward for a race that I have ever see - cherish that one!!!!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Do I need to go into the usual crap I hear about finishing a _________ (LFA race) being in the bottom 0.5%?  "You finsihed"..uh.."Most people don't even TRY to run a ___________ (LFA race)"..etc, etc, etc.

Somebody has to finish last, just like somebody has to finish first.  You finished ahead of 28 people that didn't finish or didn't start. 

So, which would you rather be saying, "I tried to run a 50 mile race, but I didn't finish." with the usual reply, "Gosh, but you tried, man.  You've got more guts than me, just by trying it."

OR

"I finished my first 50 mile race!"  with the usual reply from a non-runner...."Did you win?" or "Why would you do such a stupid thing.  Oh, and congrats by the way!"
Your reply, "Thanks, and no I didn't win, but I finished ahead of 28 other people."
Spin.

And may I remind you that last October at the Odessa Marathon that I finished in the TOP 50!!!!

I was 49th out of 51, BUT I FINISHED IN THE TOP 50!!
spin it

You trained for it, hell, you even ran barefoot for it.  You paid your money, you toed the line, you thought your race and raced your thought.  You finished.  You don't need to spin it.  You finished.  Take your victory lap...with a beer in that nice glass.

And if people think you have rocks in your head...show them the rock!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:12 pm

ounce wrote:Do I need to go into the usual crap I hear about finishing a _________ (LFA race) being in the bottom 0.5%?  "You finsihed"..uh.."Most people don't even TRY to run a ___________ (LFA race)"..etc, etc, etc.

Somebody has to finish last, just like somebody has to finish first.  You finished ahead of 28 people that didn't finish or didn't start. 

So, which would you rather be saying, "I tried to run a 50 mile race, but I didn't finish." with the usual reply, "Gosh, but you tried, man.  You've got more guts than me, just by trying it."

OR

"I finished my first 50 mile race!"  with the usual reply from a non-runner...."Did you win?" or "Why would you do such a stupid thing.  Oh, and congrats by the way!"
Your reply, "Thanks, and no I didn't win, but I finished ahead of 28 other people."
Spin.

And may I remind you that last October at the Odessa Marathon that I finished in the TOP 50!!!!

spin it

You trained for it, hell, you even ran barefoot for it.  You paid your money, you toed the line, you thought your race and raced your thought.  You finished.  You don't need to spin it.  You finished.  Take your victory lap...with a beer in that nice glass.

Exactly!!!!  Like I said earlier, I wouldn't even attempt to run 50 miles - in one day - I barely run that in one week!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:21 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
ounce wrote:Do I need to go into the usual crap I hear about finishing a _________ (LFA race) being in the bottom 0.5%?  "You finsihed"..uh.."Most people don't even TRY to run a ___________ (LFA race)"..etc, etc, etc.

OR

Spin.

spin it

Exactly!!!!  Like I said earlier, I wouldn't even attempt to run 50 miles - in one day - I barely run that in one week!

You guys crack me up. The response I've been getting when people find out the distance is Shocked

Not once has anyone asked my finishing time or finishing position. If "DFL" ever comes up, it's because I bring it up: "And the coolest thing? I came in dead f-ing last! Isn't that cool??"

No sympathy needed. No spin, either. I don't feel bad about spending every possible second (and then some) out there on the trails on Saturday. It was a gorgeous day, with great people all around. And I got it done, in spite of many challenges along the way. That's enough awesomeness for one day.

(And in case I've been giving the wrong impression, I'm not procrastinating on my race report out of some psychic trauma or something. It was a significant experience, and I want to do it justice; but I haven't had much time to sit down and organize my thoughts. Besides, I wanted to find out if this ankle issue was just short-term trauma or something more significant before writing, because that will color some of the report.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:That rock is the best reward for a race that I have ever seen - cherish that one!!!!!

You can count on it. Just thinking about it makes me smile.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Another photo!

Stalking 50 - Page 25 28144_10

Alita snapped this one shortly after the finish. Alec was happy that I made it back alive. (Me, too!)

Forgot to note before, despite all the other problems I had no chafing problems and only one teensy blister on the side of my heel from gunk in my shoe. When I tried to find the blister later, it was already reabsorbed. Nifty.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:00 pm

OR

Spin.

spin it

Completely cracks me up!  All this talk about running 50 miles has me all thinking about how cool that would be to train for and accomplish.  I read Michele's post and realized I don't think I have EVER totaled 50 miles in a week - lots of low 40's but 50?  I don't think so.

Kind of puts the distance in perspective...  well done Mark
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Tim C wrote:

OR

Spin.

spin it

Completely cracks me up!  All this talk about running 50 miles has me all thinking about how cool that would be to train for and accomplish.  I read Michele's post and realized I don't think I have EVER totaled 50 miles in a week - lots of low 40's but 50?  I don't think so.

Kind of puts the distance in perspective...  well done Mark

Thanks, Tim! Fact is, I don't even like to *drive* that far! Wink

And to tell the truth, I'm still in a state of disbelief that I actually did it. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 am

As I work on my race report, I find bits of information that need a little more fleshing out.

One is the weather. It was an absolutely beautiful day up in the mountains on Saturday, but there was a big swing in temperature and humidity that definitely complicated the effort. I found some weather stations in the race area, and was able to compile the following:

It was about 39 degrees when the race started at 5:30 a.m., with 95% humidity and fog on Timothy Lake. Luckily, I'd pulled on a long-sleeved tech T just in case and wore it for a couple of hours before it started to warm up. Even so, I couldn't feel my fingers for several miles. Smile

I was back at the start/finish (28.4 miles) around noon. It was already about 70, with about 30% humidity. They wet me down and put ice in my bottles -- it felt heavenly -- and my hat -- which was refreshing torture. Unfortunately, it was the only aid station with a sprayer, though I did get ice in my bottles during the second half.

By mid-afternoon, it was 77 degrees on the southern leg of the course, with 19% humidity. No wonder my hydration needs increased so rapidly (even with two bottles, I ran dry with miles to go before the next aid station). Unlike the morning run in heavy forest, the southern leg of the course had much more direct sun exposure. Good thing I had the hat!

Alita swears it felt hotter, and I can understand why. The sun was intense. I found a department of transportation site that showed the pavement temperature on the highway nearest the course rose from 48 at 5:30 a.m. to 115 by 2:30 p.m., when it was presumably under direct sunlight. That clearly wasn't the air temperature, but it at least suggests why it felt hotter.

Those guys who crushed the course record finished before it heated up (okay, so there's at least one advantage to running fast...), but at the ultimate back end of the race, at least I benefitted from the increasing shade as the sun began to sink in the west. (Hey, how's that for a positive outlook?)

Again, this wasn't the main thing that gave me trouble, but it was still a factor in how the afternoon progressed.

Now, back to report writing.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:41 pm

I had missed this discussion in Mark's blog and was waiting for the report itself.   What an accomplishment.   I can't believe that I'm a "non-runner" as described by Ounce above but this is exactly what my reponse is...

Mark: "I finished my first 50 mile race!" 

with the usual reply from a non-runner (ME!).... "Why would you do such a stupid thing.  Oh, and congrats by the way!"

I don't get it but I admire the guts and determination it takes to run a distance like that.  Boggles my mind to be working that hard for that long.  If someone told me that they wanted to me to watch TV for 13 hours and 13 minutes straight, I think I could pull it off but man that would be a tough slog.  RUNNING for that long?  INSANE. 

Cherish that rock you earned but you would have to hit me in the head many times with it before I'd ever run a race like that.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Mark B wrote:As I work on my race report, I find bits of information that need a little more fleshing out.

One is the weather. It was an absolutely beautiful day up in the mountains on Saturday, but there was a big swing in temperature and humidity that definitely complicated the effort. I found some weather stations in the race area, and was able to compile the following:

It was about 39 degrees when the race started at 5:30 a.m., with 95% humidity and fog on Timothy Lake. Luckily, I'd pulled on a long-sleeved tech T just in case and wore it for a couple of hours before it started to warm up. Even so, I couldn't feel my fingers for several miles. Smile

I was back at the start/finish (28.4 miles) around noon. It was already about 70, with about 30% humidity. They wet me down and put ice in my bottles -- it felt heavenly -- and my hat -- which was refreshing torture. Unfortunately, it was the only aid station with a sprayer, though I did get ice in my bottles during the second half.

By mid-afternoon, it was 77 degrees on the southern leg of the course, with 19% humidity. No wonder my hydration needs increased so rapidly (even with two bottles, I ran dry with miles to go before the next aid station). Unlike the morning run in heavy forest, the southern leg of the course had much more direct sun exposure. Good thing I had the hat!

Alita swears it felt hotter, and I can understand why. The sun was intense. I found a department of transportation site that showed the pavement temperature on the highway nearest the course rose from 48 at 5:30 a.m. to 115 by 2:30 p.m., when it was presumably under direct sunlight. That clearly wasn't the air temperature, but it at least suggests why it felt hotter.

Those guys who crushed the course record finished before it heated up (okay, so there's at least one advantage to running fast...), but at the ultimate back end of the race, at least I benefitted from the increasing shade as the sun began to sink in the west. (Hey, how's that for a positive outlook?)

Again, this wasn't the main thing that gave me trouble, but it was still a factor in how the afternoon progressed.

Interesting, Mark, and I, for one, believe that those conditions had some impact.  The weather did something similar at Steamboat as it was 40F at the start (no real humidity to me) and rose to 80F (again no real humidity) over the course of only 26.2 miles.  It affected me in the last few miles of the race (along with the altitude) as the 2nd half of the course was open and under direct sunlight as well.  I had arm sleeves on until half way when I was able to ditch them and give them to a race timer friend.  Others had ditched long sleeve shirts, but others still had capri length and longer tights on due to the cool start.  I know I mentioned how good the iced Gatorade pop felt at mile 21 - so, yes, it definitely had an affect.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:49 pm

Chris M wrote:I had missed this discussion in Mark's blog and was waiting for the report itself.   What an accomplishment.   I can't believe that I'm a "non-runner" as described by Ounce above but this is exactly what my reponse is...

Mark: "I finished my first 50 mile race!" 

with the usual reply from a non-runner (ME!).... "Why would you do such a stupid thing.  Oh, and congrats by the way!"

I don't get it but I admire the guts and determination it takes to run a distance like that.  Boggles my mind to be working that hard for that long.  If someone told me that they wanted to me to watch TV for 13 hours and 13 minutes straight, I think I could pull it off but man that would be a tough slog.  RUNNING for that long?  INSANE. 

Cherish that rock you earned but you would have to hit me in the head many times with it before I'd ever run a race like that.

You're almost on to my secret motivation, Chris! I have no special talent for running fast, so I needed to find something extreme and crazy to even the playing field with speed demons like you. (I'm conveniently ignoring that the winner of this race finished, oh, seven hours faster than I did...) Clearly, it reflects deep insecurity on my part. Really, it's a cry for help. Wink

Oh, and thanks for the congratulations! It was a long, challenging day, but it is an achievable distance for those who want to attempt it.

Mark B wrote:As I work on my race report, I find bits of information that need a little more fleshing out.

Interesting, Mark, and I, for one, believe that those conditions had some impact.  The weather did something similar at Steamboat as it was 40F at the start (no real humidity to me) and rose to 80F (again no real humidity) over the course of only 26.2 miles.  It affected me in the last few miles of the race (along with the altitude) as the 2nd half of the course was open and under direct sunlight as well.  I had arm sleeves on until half way when I was able to ditch them and give them to a race timer friend.  Others had ditched long sleeve shirts, but others still had capri length and longer tights on due to the cool start.  I know I mentioned how good the iced Gatorade pop felt at mile 21 - so, yes, it definitely had an affect.

An iced Gatorade pop would have been heaven. They'd had Otter Pops at the next-to-last aid station, but they were out of them by the time I got there. Sad

I tend to wilt in the heat - and especially in direct hot sun - so I guess I should be pleased with how well I held up. 

---

Body update: I'm off ibuprofen now, and I can walk almost naturally. Whew! I wasn't sure about my right ankle there for a day or so. It's a relief to not be damaged, after all.

Report update: I got it started today, and I hope to make headway on it tomorrow. Unlike my normal off-the-cuff blogging, I'm actually writing this report. I hope you all find it to be worth the effort.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:44 pm

So, should I be resting up for this report?Very Happy 

77 degrees is warm with or without any humidity, and after all, you PAID for that shade.

I'm curious about your 127th finish.  When the race officials saw you coming across the finish line, did they know you were the last person on the course?  Or was it later that you found out you were DFL?

Ready to run barefoot for a couple of miles around the neighborhood?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:01 pm

ounce wrote:So, should I be resting up for this report?Very Happy 

77 degrees is warm with or without any humidity, and after all, you PAID for that shade.

I'm curious about your 127th finish.  When the race officials saw you coming across the finish line, did they know you were the last person on the course?  Or was it later that you found out you were DFL?

Ready to run barefoot for a couple of miles around the neighborhood?

I strongly recommend tapering before diving into my report, yes. And stretching.

That 77 with extremely low humidity was its own challenge. For a good chunk of time, I was pretty much sweat-free, it evaporated so fast. I could still spit a little, which was good, but I went totally cotton mouth when I tried to eat a pretzel stick. My mouth was so dry I couldn't use my nifty new water bottle's kicker valve. Very distressing. Luckily, my other bottle's old-school valve worked just fine.

I knew I was going to be DFL at least a dozen miles before the finish. That's because the sweeper was right behind me. In the last 5.38 miles, he and two other volunteers were on my tail, pausing to remove course markings as they went, then pitter-patting up behind me again. It was an odd sort of motivation, but that's all part of the larger story.

Most of my body would be happy for a few barefoot laps, but I'm going to play it safe with my ankle. It's recovering pretty quickly now, and I don't want to short-circuit that healing process.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:13 am

I'm personally so glad that you ran the 50 miles  because I'm going to have an awesome read this (weekend??).  Wink
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:07 am

So, am I going to have to block off a couple hours of my day to read this thing?? It still mystifies me that people want to run 50 or 100 mile races.  I think that running 26.2 is hard enough.  I can't even imagine how hard doing 50 must be.  You are a much bigger man than me... 

Anxiously awaiting your report.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:20 am

For those of us who have gone any ultra distance, we have found it does involve training and conditioning - but most of all - mental toughness (marathons require it too, I know). You just have to be stubborn, beyond belief, because your body and mind WILL give you a million reasons to stop. And you have to ignore them - overcome them - unless it is physical reason/injury that requires you to stop. Just a very interesting challenge that I "enjoy".
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:29 am

dot520 wrote:I'm personally so glad that you ran the 50 miles  because I'm going to have an awesome read this (weekend??).  Wink

Heh. Yes, Dot. Definitely by this weekend.

Nick Morris wrote:So, am I going to have to block off a couple hours of my day to read this thing?? It still mystifies me that people want to run 50 or 100 mile races.  I think that running 26.2 is hard enough.  I can't even imagine how hard doing 50 must be.  You are a much bigger man than me... 

Anxiously awaiting your report.

Oh yeah, I'm a real he-man. Total stud. Riiggghhht. Rolling Eyes 

Kidding aside, running ultras is different than racing marathons. You're working at a much lower intensity, so aspects like VOMax and LT don't really come into play. I wouldn't say it's necessarily harder, though it does take a heck of a lot longer.

charles.moman wrote:For those of us who have gone any ultra distance, we have found it does involve training and conditioning - but most of all - mental toughness (marathons require it too, I know). You just have to be stubborn, beyond belief, because your body and mind WILL give you a million reasons to stop. And you have to ignore them - overcome them - unless it is physical reason/injury that requires you to stop. Just a very interesting challenge that I "enjoy".

Well said, Charles. I'd only add one thing: Your body and mind will give you a million VERY GOOD AND REASONABLE reasons to stop. This is a fundamentally irrational act that goes well beyond any benefit for fitness, mankind, etc. It's not that trying to run 26.2 as fast as you possibly can is all that sane, either. Oh well. At least we're not out there jacking cars. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:56 am

Thought at times during an ultra you DO want to commit a crime - kill yourself!
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:12 am

charles.moman wrote:Thought at times during an ultra you DO want to commit a crime - kill yourself!

Nah. It'd be redundant.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:24 am

True.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular