365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ice Trail Truck'n (Tour de Trails 7 miler)

3 posters

Go down

Ice Trail Truck'n (Tour de Trails 7 miler) Empty Ice Trail Truck'n (Tour de Trails 7 miler)

Post  fostever Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:02 pm

Picture 7 miles of hilly meandering heavily trod trails that had partially melted a 2-3 inch snow base then refroze with footprint impressions and temps in the low 20F with a stiff biting wind. This is in the Rock Cut State Forest in Rockford, IL. Formerly known as the "Winter Survivor Series," now temporarily sequestered due to long time race director improprieties. Anyhoo, the local running club there decided to continue a couple races on the trails this year until they can maybe bring the full series back next year. Like I mentioned, the trails were pure ice from start to finish. Yax trax or spiked slip-overs were the order of the day. I'd done well with CC spikes in the past, but they were only partially effective this day. So with a lot of slipping and dancing trying to find non ice sections, I managed to keep a somewhat decent pace going with one minor fall and no twisted ankles. This was on my training schedule as a 7mi MP run so I guess I could at least consider it at a marathon pace perceived effort. Turned out to be a fun time with homemade cookies, fudge, and such in the small lodge cafe afterward. Picked up 8th place overall and 2nd AG. 57:12 clock time.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Ice Trail Truck'n (Tour de Trails 7 miler) Empty Re: Ice Trail Truck'n (Tour de Trails 7 miler)

Post  Mark B Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:13 am

In conditions like that, any race that doesn't require a stop off at urgent care on the way home is a win.

So congrats on finishing intact, and finishing so well!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Ice Trail Truck'n (Tour de Trails 7 miler) Empty Re: Ice Trail Truck'n (Tour de Trails 7 miler)

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:35 am

Nice job, Steve! I can relate to what it's like running on that as we ran some of the bridle trail yesterday morning. Can't imagine racing on it - yikes.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down