365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Albany, GA full marathon report

+12
T Miller
Diego
John Kilpatrick
Chris M
Schuey
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
fostever
Bob
Mark B
ssilvert
16 posters

Go down

Albany, GA full marathon report Empty Albany, GA full marathon report

Post  ssilvert Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:43 pm

First, I just want to say that the Albany marathon is terrific. The course is fast, the organization is excellent, and the fans who braved the cold were very enthusiastic. I stayed at the host hotel and was able to stay in out of the cold, venturing to the starting line about 15 minutes before the gun.

I have mixed feelings about my personal performance. I trained for this race exactly like I trained for Chicago in 2006. That was the last time I ran a flat marathon and I got my BQ. This time the goal was even more ambitious. I wanted to go under 3 hours. I would need a 19 minute PR, but given how great my training has been the past year, it was doable. If you want to get an idea of how I trained, see http://www.365runners.com/t2098-yasso-and-the-sub-3#44891.

The training was very successful. I hit my workout paces, I did the extra miles, and I thought I was ready to nail it.

But I didn't. I'm still trying to figure out what happened. The conditions overall were quite good. I didn't have an injury. I felt fine. I guess I just didn't have it on race day.

So here's the race in nutshell. I started fine, and hit my planned pace (6:50) for the first five miles. It felt really, really easy. Thought I was set. Then we started running on a very slight uphill into a headwind. I was losing a few seconds per mile, but I wasn't too worried about being a little behind. But by the time I got to the 13.1 mark, I was at 1:31:11. Maybe if I got the wind at my back I could make up the time in the second half, but that was a big "if". After a few more miles of 7:0x splits it was clear that sub-3 wasn't happening. So I decided to back off and just try to enjoy the rest of the race.

And enjoy it I did. I've never finished the last 6 miles of a marathon feeling good. I was tired and my feet hurt, but I didn't crash like I usually do. And in the end my 3:10:48 was a PR by more than 8 minutes. I re-qualified for Boston. It was a good day. A 3:10 at a age 45 ain't too shabby.

I'm still not sure what went wrong. Just three weeks ago I was doing 12 miles at race pace with no problem. And that was in the middle of a very tough training week. But on race day I only hit my pace four times. I could have panicked and pushed harder in the middle miles but I would have been cooked by the end. I think the lesson I got for this first sub-3 attempt was the same one I got in my first failed BQ attempt. "If you want to be sure of hitting your goal in the marathon, get in waaaay better shape than you think you need."

Here are the splits:
1 6:49
2 6:58
3 6:48
4 6:54
5 6:50
6 7:04
7 6:55
8 6:48
9 7:00
10 7:07
11 7:09
12 6:55
13 7:01
14 7:02
15 7:02
16 7:05
17 7:16
18 7:17
19 7:46
20 7:41
21 7:48
22 7:42
23 8:00
24 8:09
25 7:50
26 8:00
last 0.2 1:40

Official chip time: 3:10:48

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Albany, GA full marathon report Empty Re: Albany, GA full marathon report

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:49 pm

Sorry you didn't crack 3 hours, but congratulations on nailing an solid PR. Your 3:10 is extremely impressive.

I think your "lesson learned" is a good one, and one that most of us should keep in mind when shooting for the big goals.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:30 pm

That's a pretty damn good step forward in marathoning, Stan. And backing off that much, and still running an 8 minute PR?

Congrats.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:08 am

Good to hear you had a great race. What happens in training doesn't always happen in the race as we all know. I think an 8 min. PR is fantastic. Be patient, there is still time for you to go lower, every race can teach you more. Feeling good at the end is a sign of future success. Congrats. Stan!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:48 am

Stan, sorry you missed your sub 3 attempt. No way you couldn't hold sub 3 pace from mile 9, so I would guess you were not smooth or in the zone somehow. Just not your day this time. I will see you in Boston next year?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:17 am

Congrats on the PR! Sorry that it wasn't the time you wanted, but an 8 min PR is still an awesome job.

Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm not sure you'll ever figure out what went "wrong." That's what kind of sucks about this sport, that so many things need to come together to have the perfect day, and many of those things are out of your control. I suspect the wind in the early stages cost you a decent amount of energy.

And I put "wrong" in quotes because an 8:00 is still a really good race. I understand its not what you were looking for - or what your training indicated you were trained for - but its a very nice improvement that you should be proud of.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Great race Stan. Like Dave said there are so many things that have to all come together at once on race day. To be honest do are times ever turnout what are training suggest? The only thing that matters is that you put further the effort that you wanted and that you are happy with the performance you gave for that day. Again great job and best of luck on "Truckin" towards your ultimate goals!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Huge PR. Getting everything to come together on race day for a marathon is.....elusive. I've sure never figured it out. I didn't want to comment on your Yasso thread because I did a 2:51 average as a key workout right before a sub 3 attempt and bombed out. I didn't want to relay that story pre-race for you because obviously it sure didn't work out as a predictor for me. It never has all come together at the marathon distance for me- I've gotten to 3:09 twice but never any lower. I'm 0 for 5 on raced sub3 attempts with TWO DNFs! UGH. I hate the distance but keep trying. The training similar to what you did has gotten me three nice half times of 1:25/1:24/1:22 but I seem to be the king of rolling through the first 13.1 of a marathon in 1:28-1:30 and then crashing badly. BUT YOU PRed BY 8 MINUTES! That is amazing!! How about going to find an April half to go crush a PR. And then another Fall attempt at Sub3? I'm on the disabled list and sloooooowly coming back from injury but maybe would join you and run with you. Ever heard of the Erie, PA marathon? Nah, me either. But it is now on my radar screen as a possible Fall marathon and Boston 2014 qualifier. Check it out.

Congrats again on the fine time you put up!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:49 am

ssilvert wrote:First, I just want to say that the Albany marathon is terrific. The course is fast, the organization is excellent, and the fans who braved the cold were very enthusiastic. I stayed at the host hotel and was able to stay in out of the cold, venturing to the starting line about 15 minutes before the gun.

I have mixed feelings about my personal performance. I trained for this race exactly like I trained for Chicago in 2006. That was the last time I ran a flat marathon and I got my BQ. This time the goal was even more ambitious. I wanted to go under 3 hours. I would need a 19 minute PR, but given how great my training has been the past year, it was doable. If you want to get an idea of how I trained, see http://www.365runners.com/t2098-yasso-and-the-sub-3#44891.

The training was very successful. I hit my workout paces, I did the extra miles, and I thought I was ready to nail it.

But I didn't. I'm still trying to figure out what happened. The conditions overall were quite good. I didn't have an injury. I felt fine. I guess I just didn't have it on race day.

So here's the race in nutshell. I started fine, and hit my planned pace (6:50) for the first five miles. It felt really, really easy. Thought I was set. Then we started running on a very slight uphill into a headwind. I was losing a few seconds per mile, but I wasn't too worried about being a little behind. But by the time I got to the 13.1 mark, I was at 1:31:11. Maybe if I got the wind at my back I could make up the time in the second half, but that was a big "if". After a few more miles of 7:0x splits it was clear that sub-3 wasn't happening. So I decided to back off and just try to enjoy the rest of the race.

And enjoy it I did. I've never finished the last 6 miles of a marathon feeling good. I was tired and my feet hurt, but I didn't crash like I usually do. And in the end my 3:10:48 was a PR by more than 8 minutes. I re-qualified for Boston. It was a good day. A 3:10 at a age 45 ain't too shabby.

I'm still not sure what went wrong. Just three weeks ago I was doing 12 miles at race pace with no problem. And that was in the middle of a very tough training week. But on race day I only hit my pace four times. I could have panicked and pushed harder in the middle miles but I would have been cooked by the end. I think the lesson I got for this first sub-3 attempt was the same one I got in my first failed BQ attempt. "If you want to be sure of hitting your goal in the marathon, get in waaaay better shape than you think you need."

Here are the splits:
1 6:49
2 6:58
3 6:48
4 6:54
5 6:50
6 7:04
7 6:55
8 6:48
9 7:00
10 7:07
11 7:09
12 6:55
13 7:01
14 7:02
15 7:02
16 7:05
17 7:16
18 7:17
19 7:46
20 7:41
21 7:48
22 7:42
23 8:00
24 8:09
25 7:50
26 8:00
last 0.2 1:40

Official chip time: 3:10:48

Stan

That is one whale of a race, Stan. I see what you were shooting for, but seriously - a 3:10:xx is an absolute dream of mine! I'm glad you had a good time in Albany - I have nothing to compare it to, but it does seem they do a pretty good job and the number of people is very manageable. Huge congrats for an 8 minute PR. Don't think many people probably get to experience that, especially at the speed that you race! Great job!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:19 am

That was a great race and wonderful PR! Stan. I think you need one more training cycle and it will happen. I remember when we ran the half in Murfreesboro, TN and you were 3 minutes faster than me. I almost broke the 3hr barrier the next cycle. So you have the wheels. That makes me certain that with the right fall race, you will set another PR and perhaps sub 3.

Keep on plugging away at 70mpw during that next cycle and it will come.

I also meant to ask. What did your taper look like?
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:46 am

An 8 minute PR is huge at your level and you should be very proud of that. I agree with Diego, I think your next cycle will get you there. Anyway, keep up the great work and I wish you the best.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:36 pm

Chris M wrote:. Ever heard of the Erie, PA marathon? Nah, me either. But it is now on my radar screen as a possible Fall marathon and Boston 2014 qualifier. Check it out.

Whoa! If you guys do decide on Erie, let me know. That is the same course that I run every summer as the half marathon (Presque Isle Half). I have a summer house (appropriate for September) that is about 1 hr from the start if you would like, but if not, Erie has a few decent hotels and isn't a bad little city (except maybe hard to fly to). Erie is about 2 hrs from Pitttsburgh, Cleveland and Buffalo. I know many NE Ohioans who run this marathon to get their BQ as it is small, flat, and well organized. And if you do come, I will make sure to be there.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:20 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Chris M wrote:. Ever heard of the Erie, PA marathon? Nah, me either. But it is now on my radar screen as a possible Fall marathon and Boston 2014 qualifier. Check it out.

Whoa! If you guys do decide on Erie, let me know. That is the same course that I run every summer as the half marathon (Presque Isle Half). I have a summer house (appropriate for September) that is about 1 hr from the start if you would like, but if not, Erie has a few decent hotels and isn't a bad little city (excectt maybe hard to fly to). Erie is about 2 hrs from Pitttsburgh, Cleveland and Buffalo. I know many NE Ohioans who run this marathon to get their BQ as it is small, flat, and well organized. And if you do come, I will make sure to be there.
Stay tuned....Stan and I have better marathons in our future and maybe a place like Erie, PA is a place to hit. It sets up well as a 2014 BQ because it looks like it will be the last weekend before registration opens. Too chancy to wait on the October marathons.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:22 pm

Stan,
I was looking for you, and wanted to say hi, but we didn't catch up.
Congrats on your marathon PR.
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:29 pm

I can tell you exactly what went wrong..............nothing. You were already in uncharted territory and were in great shape. I think it takes experience to break barriers. Think 4:00 mile a half century ago. I think it was a fantastic race with a tremendous result. Be proud and you now have another training cycle in the bank and another positive experience to draw on.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:05 am

Congratulations, Stan! That 8 minute PR is really telling and a tribute to your training thus far. I can't recall, but was this the first time you ran Albany?
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:22 pm

Wasn't what you wanted but still an awesome performance. Congrats on the big PR.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down