365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jerry's Training Plan

+7
Chris Coleman
Schuey
Nick Morris
Michele "1L" Keane
Chris M
mountandog
Jerry
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jerry's Training Plan Empty Jerry's Training Plan

Post  Jerry Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:44 pm

Weekly mileage 60+ for June;70+ for July ...100+ for October.

Luckily, Jerry has race November 3rd. lol!

Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Jerry's Training Plan Empty Re: Jerry's Training Plan

Post  mountandog Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 am

nicely though out plan. Very Happy
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:07 am

Didn't you just do 80 for the first week in June? 100+ in October? Have you ever done a triple digit mileage week?
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:32 am

Chris M wrote:Didn't you just do 80 for the first week in June? 100+ in October? Have you ever done a triple digit mileage week?

Yes, I did 80 last week. I was thinking of 100, but got lazy and took Tuesday off.

The most I have done for a week is under 85 miles. Mentally and physically I don't feel 80+, even 90+, is scary now somehow. Then I understand running a 80 is different than every week. So I like to set the bar low and have a progression to prepare my body.

Btw, I have decided to quit soccer until I don't attempt PR at least. My soccer is not remotely close to my running level. I will regret if it becomes the reason I can't PR.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:20 am

I know you loved soccer but I think you made the right decision to give it up - at least for now. The two don't really mix
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:52 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I know you loved soccer but I think you made the right decision to give it up - at least for now. The two don't really mix

True, plus there is always the chance of injury that could hinder your training.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:41 am

About time you quit soccer and get serious about running! You want to PR just run with me!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Schuey wrote:About time you quit soccer and get serious about running! You want to PR just run with me!

I would...if I could keep up with you Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I know you loved soccer but I think you made the right decision to give it up - at least for now. The two don't really mix

Sigh. So true. I'm not there yet but I really should be. Should have been a long time ago.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:57 pm

Chris M wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I know you loved soccer but I think you made the right decision to give it up - at least for now.  The two don't really mix

Sigh.  So true.  I'm not there yet but I really should be.  Should have been a long time ago.
Pre and Chris,

Balance in life is so important. What a shame that soccer and serious running should be incompatible once you pass a certain age. But are they? Soccer players I've known have always had a better muscular distribution than most runners. What do you really want? Generally excellent health and the skills that come with soccer, or the very specific requirements of running.

As an ex-Rugby player, I have no personal interest in soccer. For me, now, sport is all about running, but I'm not sure such focus is a good thing.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:15 pm

I'm kind of surprised since I think lack of cross training is my downfall but I guess it depends on how much time you're spending on soccer or other sports that would take away from your running time.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:25 pm

I think that the lateral movements in soccer is the issue. Cross training, IMHO, should consist of things like cycling, swimming & weight training. I always cut back on tennis when I seriously trained for marathons because of the side to side running. I also found that a strong core had helped me tremendously especially when undertrainedi mileage wise and had been a benefit when I have the milesge
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:45 pm

I've used all of the justifications about soccer helping over the years but here's where I really think it turns out:

- absolutely decades of playing soccer helped me in terms of being pretty bulletproof from normal wear and tear running injuries - I don't think I've ever really had one.  Thousands of miles of running and no running related injury.

- but at a certain age past 40, nobody can stay healthy playing soccer hard.   ALL of my injuries come from playing and I think I'm probably even more exposed for getting them playing while trying to train for marathons and being on tired legs. 

For me since 2008, that's:

- torn ACL and MCL (2008 surgery)
- microfracture (2013 surgey)
- torn intercostal muscle (man, that hurt)
- torn hip abductor (side volleys are the stuff of youth only...)
- broken ribs
- countless rolled ankles and banged up leg muscles that have messed up running for a few days

I love playing and being on the team and unlike super speedy runner Jerry, I'm way better at that sport than running.  But I want to be a better runner and soccer is holding me back because I can't stay healthy playing it.  Still not sure I'm ready to walk away but I'm obviously thinking out loud about it!

Now, as for Jerry and his training plan, the enemy isn't soccer, its his laziness!  If Jerry does anything remotely close to the weekly mileage targets he's talking about here, he'll break 2:50!   I'm not betting on my man Jerry to stick with it, though.  100 mile week average?  C'mon!   From Dave or Schuey, yes.  From Jerry?!?!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I think that the lateral movements in soccer is the issue. Cross training, IMHO, should consist of things like cycling, swimming & weight training. I always cut back on tennis when I seriously trained for marathons because of the side to side running. I also found that a strong core had helped me tremendously especially when undertrainedi mileage wise and had been a benefit when I have the milesge

I agree...cross training should be a way to work other muscles, while not putting yourself at risk for injury.  Cycling, swimming, rowing, weight training, and even yoga or pilates are great ways to cross train.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:51 am

And Jerry now lives in Miami (Location:  NBA Champion) which makes 100 mile weeks more difficult.  No, wait, he still lives in the Dallas area.  psst...Jerry...change your location.

Well, running 100 mile weeks in Texas ain't easy, unless Jerry hits the mill.

Separately, I can say that doing CrossFit 3x in a 5 day week and running on days 4 and 5 is difficult, especially when there's a lot of leg emphasis.  I'll be scaling it back in August for Houston in January.

Last edited by ounce on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : CrossFit comment.)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:55 am

ounce wrote:And Jerry now lives in Miami (Location:  NBA Champion) which makes 100 mile weeks more difficult.  No, wait, he still lives in the Dallas area.  psst...Jerry...change your location.

Don't you mean San Antonio??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:34 pm

How about my location now?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:41 pm

Wow, Jerry, this shows a maturity I didn't think you had Smile . I predict a strong PR for you.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:02 pm

JohnP wrote:Wow, Jerry, this shows a maturity I didn't think you had Smile . I predict a strong PR for you.

HAHAHA!!! (I am laughing about the first comment, not the PR)
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:34 pm

To show maturity, Jerry went outside 4:00pm Sunday under 97 degree for a mile, just to make this week's number 60.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:26 pm

Oh please running 100 miles in Texas is not harder than anywhere else. Plain and simple you have to want it no matter were you live. I can't stop a laughing at oh it's harder cause its hotter in Texas common you pussies just go out and run! Jerry stop being lazy and fucking suck it up and run!

If you want something bad enough you will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal plan and simple and no sugar coating!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Jerry...If it makes you feel better, the first three days of my training this year will be in Texas.  Bring on the warmth!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:45 am

Schuey wrote:Oh please running 100 miles in Texas is not harder than anywhere else. Plain and simple you have to want it no matter were you live. I can't stop a laughing at oh it's harder cause its hotter in Texas common you pussies just go out and run! Jerry stop being lazy and fucking suck it up and run!

If you want something bad enough you will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal plan and simple and no sugar coating!

Just come out and really tell us how you feel, Mr. Schuey.

I was always kind of impressed that I would lose 9 pounds on a morning long run when it was 80 degrees with a 78 degree dewpoint in the dark.

Well, I guess I'll walk off with my tail between my legs.  And if it matters, I'm not pissed, as I'm writing this with a smile on my face.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:00 am

Ooo! Trash talking. This is getting interesting. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Well, Mark, I'm trying to help Matt out by posting more.

But in order to continue the trash talking, Schuey can say that from the 20 something floor of his building where the oxygen deprivation has obviously affected his reasoning abilities.

(Trashy enough?Very Happy)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next