365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taper question

+8
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
Nick Morris
Jerry
Michael Enright
mul21
Jordan S.
12 posters

Go down

Taper question Empty Taper question

Post  Jordan S. Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:53 am

My first marathon is Dec. 7. so I haven't started tapering yet. I am trying to follow one of Mr. Higdon's plans. The long runs that I have left to do are 18, 14, 20, 12, and 8.
I am a little concerned about hitting "the wall" at mile 20. What do y'all think about replacing that 14 miler with a 21 or 22 miler just to help my confidence about going over 20? Is it a bad idea?
Jordan S.
Jordan S.

Back to top Go down

Taper question Empty Re: Taper question

Post  mul21 Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:02 am

No, not if it's your first.  That's going to be 3 consecutive long runs and you risk injury and overtraining if you do that.  Also, most first timers are typically running their long runs too fast because they don't have an idea of what they're race pace should really be.  I would stretch the 20 miler out to 21-22 if you feel the need to do so.  And run it a little slower than you might normally.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:15 am

I'd stick with a three week taper for your first (that is Hal's standard). If you really want to add to your long runs, consider turning the 18 miler into a 20, as that might build your confidence for the distance. You can also go a bit longer than 20, as suggested, but I find that it only wears me out.
If you're worried about this now, just wait until you get to the taper and actually have to reduce the miles! Very Happy 
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:24 am

Sooner or later, everybody hits the wall. It's part of the game and why people are so addicted to marathons. 

No need to build confidence cause it does not work. Just go there, enjoy your day and anticipate pain, lots of pain.

If not, if you miss the wall, great ...
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:28 am

mul21 wrote:No, not if it's your first.  That's going to be 3 consecutive long runs and you risk injury and overtraining if you do that.  Also, most first timers are typically running their long runs too fast because they don't have an idea of what they're race pace should really be.  I would stretch the 20 miler out to 21-22 if you feel the need to do so.  And run it a little slower than you might normally.
I agree with Jim.  The risks out weigh the gains (if any).  Stick to the plan.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:40 pm

I'd also stick to Hal's plan on taper.  As far as extending the 20 mile run a mile or two, for me that would be a decision made during that run.  If you're doing fine, then give it a shot, if not, then don't.  Don't blow weeks and weeks of training by just wanting to extend a run by a mile or two.

I do think there is a mental benefit to running a distance longer than 20, because then during the race you can psyche yourself into believing that, "It's only 5 more miles.  How many times have I knocked out 5 miles without a problem?"

As far as the Wall, the better you have executed and followed your training plan, the less effect the Wall has OR you don't notice it until later in the waning miles.  Don't succumb to thinking 20 miles = Wall, plus gloom and doom.  I've had one hit me at 16 and another hit me at 23, but I finished them both.  When you're in the zone and mindset to finish a race, there ain't no Wall in the world that can discourage your mindset.

Race your training.  Finish without concern for time.  Bawl like a little baby.  Then come here and write about it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:46 pm

I'm with the others - and if you feel the need, increase the first 18 to 20 and the 20 to 21 or 22 max. But don't push it if you feel tired.  The biggest mistake any marathoner can make - novice or experienced - is leaving the race in training.  Good luck!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:26 pm

One more vote for sticking with the plan. Hal's plans work well, especially for first-timers.

Once you've gotten one or more marathons under your belt, you'll be in a better position to experiment and find out what works best for you. But for now, you're better off completing the training cycle and enjoying the race.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Yeah stick with the plan and during the race tell yourself "trust your training" and tell yourself you're tough and you can do it. And don't eat anything weird the night before.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:08 pm

been there, done that.  Stick to the plan.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:43 pm

mountandog wrote:been there, done that.  Stick to the plan.
Well, that was simple.  Direct.  And to the point.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:27 pm

ounce wrote:
mountandog wrote:been there, done that.  Stick to the plan.
Well, that was simple.  Direct.  And to the point.
Yup.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:30 pm

The plan is good. Stick to it!

Take it easy on race day. Don't go out too fast, and be sure to fuel well during the race, and you will be just fine.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Don't forget the most important thing! 

HAVE FUN!  After all you only run your first marathon once and it's guaranteed to be a personal best. Smile
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:24 pm

nkrichards wrote:Don't forget the most important thing! 

HAVE FUN!  After all you only run your first marathon once and it's guaranteed to be a personal best. Smile
+100!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down