365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Needs, Wants, and Wishes

+6
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
Mark B
Gobbles
mountandog
Jerry
10 posters

Go down

Needs, Wants, and Wishes Empty Needs, Wants, and Wishes

Post  Jerry Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:49 pm

Date: November 3rd, 2013
Event: Dallas Running Club Half Marathon
Result: 1:24:46
Wishes: PR(<1:21:06), we now know it didn't happen.  lol! 
Wants: <1:23 to be comfortable with a sub 3 for the incoming Dallas Marathon December 8th.
Needs: <1:25 to make a sub 3 a possibility for the incoming Dallas Marathon, and qualify New York Marathon 2014.

At the desperate last mile, when the pace was on 6:50, I made a deal to myself that if I could hold the pace for sub 1:25, I earned the budget to New York. I did 6:45. 

I don't want to write a descriptive race report as usual. I do like to write down some of thoughts. Racing is mental game.  Before every race, I always look back to the prior experiences, and thoughts to mentally prepare myself. So why not share. If you don't care, you always don't have to read on. 

What I have done right:

1. My racing feeling has improved. I knew at mile 3 PR would not be possibly and largely raced by feel. My pace was extremely aggressive. I knew it, and chose to do it, so I don't regret I crashed 6:50 and 6:45 in the last two miles. This was a tune up for Dallas marathon. While PR became no possibility, be aggressive to test out my limit was warranted, a very good learning of my body for my future PR race. I didn't push over board to lose sub 1:25. 
  2. My mental toughness has improved. My form was not good and my body was not sharp, probably due to lack of speed workout and strength training. But I was able to manage it and tried to relax. I always like to draft during races. This time, I partnered with a competitive female runner, Becky, during the race. As soon as I realized our pace was lacking, I pushed hard. Knowing she was in 8th place and had an interest to catch, I led the effort. In about 6 miles, I(we) chased, then led 3-5 runners. Eventually I was out kicked, but for the first time, I was the one on the course to setup the pace for a group of runners. I really enjoyed the experience and am happy with my effort and mental toughness especially with 10 months of no racing and speed work. 
  3. My training: my training has been weird to accommodate my work schedule. While there were certainly laziness, I started getting a good grasp. The patient build up on aerobic base works very well. 2012, I ran the same race 1:28:24;2011, 1:21:06. I am half way back to my peak with only slow runnings.

What I have done wrong:

1. Pre-race diet: this is second time I lost 20+ seconds over the average pace in the last two miles. Since I had been cutting food pre-race, I am thinking maybe I had cut a little too much. I will certainly watch this, though I may never find out.
  2. Strength Training: it seems apparent that my weak core is not enough to support my running pace I want. 

For Dallas Marathon, December 8th:

1. Wishes: <2:55
  2. Wants: PR(<2:58:35)
  3. Needs: sub 3

For Boston 2014:

Needs, Wants, and Wishes: PR.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Needs, Wants, and Wishes Empty Re: Needs, Wants, and Wishes

Post  mountandog Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:01 pm

nice race Jerry.  From what I can tell you are on track to your goals.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!!!
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Nicely raced, and nicely analyzed, Jerry.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:38 pm

Well run and well said.  I can certainly second a couple of your experiences as I found myself in very much the same place before Saturday.  My only blessing was that I have already re-committed to the strength training and it paid off.  I need to continue to commit to the mileage build up after a few weeks of recovery.  And, I am considering NY again as I have a half time.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Nice analysis, Coach.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Well done Jerry, you just barely made the needs time.  I hope this bodes well for your upcoming marathon.  What is your Boston PR?  or are you looking for a PR at Boston?

Next year we'll have to strike up a new deal so that we can keep you off the couch.  Get ready Smile
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:52 pm

T Miller wrote:Well done Jerry, you just barely made the needs time.  I hope this bodes well for your upcoming marathon.  What is your Boston PR?  or are you looking for a PR at Boston?

Next year we'll have to strike up a new deal so that we can keep you off the couch.  Get ready Smile
To quote Jerry:

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:58 pm

T Miller wrote:Well done Jerry, you just barely made the needs time.  I hope this bodes well for your upcoming marathon.  What is your Boston PR?  or are you looking for a PR at Boston?

I finished Boston 3:39 last time. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:35 pm

Nice result, Jerry! looking good for Dallas!!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Love this report. Thanks for sharing your insights!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Great job, Jerry! I like the concept of needs, wants, wishes as well.  I'm glad you got what you needed and you learned some things in the process!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum