365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crewing at JFK

+11
fostever
wendy_miller
ounce
Chris M
mountandog
Jerry
John Kilpatrick
Julie
Jim Lentz
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
15 posters

Go down

Crewing at JFK Empty Crewing at JFK

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:41 am

The running community is indeed a very special place as just being able to share the experience with others at the JFK 50 this weekend displayed. As a crew member, I might have been more nervous than the runners, but Kevin had the details down and I think it all went off without a hitch.  Sara Jane and I left the logistics up to Kevin and then we panicked when he drove Vivain to Pennsylvania and not Maryland before the start.  Although she seemed unflustered and handled it well, I know that she was a wreck, but maybe that was a good approach - no time to think before the start.  Sara Jane and I were a bit apprehensive about shoe changes, moving the chip, and getting everyone back on the road in a quick transition, but I think we nailed it.  

Crewing at JFK Wevert10

It was fun to run with Wendy in those middle miles and witness how strong and motivated she could be.  She clicked off those miles like it was nobody's business and I knew that she would sail to the finish line meeting her goal as she was just right on the money.  Seeing her break her goal and "crush" Kevin's best time on the course was absolutely amazing.  I have seen Wendy after a half marathon (Houston) and a marathon (Boston) and this was the best I had ever seen this girl after a race.  A testimony to training smart and running smart.  She finished as the 16th women (WOW).  Hats off to Dr. Miller.

Crewing at JFK Wendy10

Martin's focus was incredible.  He looked so strong at Antietam (the last time I saw him until the finish) so much so that we really thought all he did was "kick a rock".  That was until we saw the foot after the race and yesterday morning!  Ouch, Schuey - take care of that one tough guy.  I would have dropped out after the AT.

Tim's sense of humor was great.  He is so understated and he expected nothing from us.  It was great to see him at Antietam as he was in the zone but could still laugh, but the look on his face when he walked into the school after finishing (we had just arrived to try and catch Wendy and just missed him) was priceless.  Wish I had my camera to capture it as he was so happy and proud (as he should be!) especially after running all that way with a wonky achilles.

Michael wasn't sure what he had got himself into at mile 27,but when I reminded him that there was less than a marathon to go, his laugh and smile uplifted everyone around us.  He ran into very unfamiliar territory and left it all on the course (including leaving Trevor back at the start because, well, Trevor is a big boy - who ran 34.4 miles!).  He had us worried when he had to get a little medical assistance at the school, but Kevin and I were very happy to return there with Vivian and family to see that he was gone and off to Chris's already.

And Vivian - after sharing those first 12 miles and the experience at Boston, it was an incredible rush to be able to run her the last 4.2 miles to the finish with Kevin.  As you can imagine, Kevin and I were a comedy team and we never shut up for the entire 4.2 miles.  We also wouldn't let her stop as she was going to beat that course up once again.  It was very cool that Caroline and Oliver ran 7(!) miles with her and I wasn't sure if they were more proud of Mom or themselves and it was more than cool that they met her with 0.2 miles to go and ran her across the line.  

Crewing at JFK Viv-ke10

And the final wrap up at Chris's was superb and well deserved by all!  (Well even though we then ran the coldest, windiest, and (one of the) hilliest 10Ks that I had ever run on Sunday morning.   It was so cold that the on-line results are screwed up as so many 10K runners bailed at the 5K distance. 

Crewing at JFK Post_j10

(As another testimony to the running community, two marathon maniacs that I know performed CPR on a 22 yr old runner that collapsed in the early miles at the Route 66 marathon in Tulsa yesterday.  They waited until EMTs arrived and then finished the race only to find out later from the EMTs at the finish that he did indeed suffer a cardiac incident and they probably saved his life.  Wow - that just says so much about the community).

Edited to add this article from RW:  http://www.runnersworld.com/trail-racing/miller-and-harrison-prevail-at-jfk-50?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunningTimes-_-Content-Trails-_-112513TrailRaceRecap
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Crewing at JFK Empty Re: Crewing at JFK

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:21 pm

What a great report, Michele! Thanks for sharing. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Great pictures too!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Great report! Glad you could be there.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:Great pictures too!
Credit goes to Sara Jane, Brian Adkins and others for the photos.  I was way too flustered to think about something like that and wished I had captured Tim and Michael at the aide stations.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:30 pm

What a great experience and kudos to you for being awesome!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Awesome!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:55 pm

I have to say that Kevin, Michele and Sara Jane were awesome.  Kevin sent me emails and talked with both Trevor and me on the phone to make sure that all our preparations were right.  He was there when I came off Weaverton and made sure I knew where everything was set up.  Michele and Sara Jane were there to help with the shoes and make sure I still had my sanity. Michele at Antietam popping up right in front of me in a different color surprised me, but the little encouragement talk got me moving again.  But the real bonus was after the race when I wasn't feeling so hot, they made sure I made it to medical in one piece.  To think you traveled, used up a precious Saturday to stand in the cold for endless hours to support us is really appreciated.  You have no idea how much.  Chris, thanks for opening your house to us after for a few brews and pizza.  They hit the spot.  I guess I can be a Mule fan for a day.

Again, many, many thanks for being out there.

Race report to follow in a day or so.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:36 pm

mountandog wrote:.  I guess I can be a Mule fan for a day.

Crewing at JFK Colby_College_old_mule_logo
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:02 pm

mountandog wrote:I have to say that Kevin, Michele and Sara Jane were awesome.  Kevin sent me emails and talked with both Trevor and me on the phone to make sure that all our preparations were right.  He was there when I came off Weaverton and made sure I knew where everything was set up.  Michele and Sara Jane were there to help with the shoes and make sure I still had my sanity. Michele at Antietam popping up right in front of me in a different color surprised me, but the little encouragement talk got me moving again.  But the real bonus was after the race when I wasn't feeling so hot, they made sure I made it to medical in one piece.  To think you traveled, used up a precious Saturday to stand in the cold for endless hours to support us is really appreciated.  You have no idea how much.  Chris, thanks for opening your house to us after for a few brews and pizza.  They hit the spot.  I guess I can be a Mule fan for a day.

Again, many, many thanks for being out there.

Race report to follow in a day or so.
I have to say the crewing about which has been written is truly marvelous and selfless.  Do y'all rent out?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  wendy_miller Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:23 pm

You were all so awesome. THANK YOU, Michele, for hanging with me for all those miles, and doing whatever I asked. Big thanks go KEVIN for all of his hard work organizing everything, and to Sara Jane as well. It was her face I was picturing as I neared the finish line. Indeed, the running community is amazing!
wendy_miller
wendy_miller

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:29 pm

Way to go people, looks like a swell time!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:02 am

Way to go Michele, along with Sara Jane and Kevin for crewing.  Great job. Wish I wasn't injured and could have run it.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:06 pm

It looks like you guys did such a great job crewing. What great friends!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Nice to see a report from a different perspective. Great photos too!!! Thanks!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:22 am

Running is generally such a solitary sport (during a race - not before and after), that it's good to read a story of real teamwork. Well done, everyone.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum