365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 weeks to Back Bay

+4
ounce
Alex Kubacki
Michele "1L" Keane
fostever
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

10 weeks to Back Bay Empty 10 weeks to Back Bay

Post  fostever Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:41 pm

This will be my first blog but felt like writing down the bulk of my training for my return to the city where our running innocence was violated. I want most of all to return to the course in solidarity with all the runners and organizers to take back our race! Did you ever think of that, any race you've ever run in is your race too! Anyway training wise, noth'n real special, just the usual moderate mileage from me with a mix of miles, hills, repeats. I guess after 10 marathons I've learned my limits and fell into the quality vs quantity camp. I've been trying to keep my strength workouts to at least twice per week but sometimes only 1 depending on work days. Always nursing something, right now it's trochanteric bursitis neighbor to my always touchy left hammy. It's tolerable but annoying as all getout.

The weather in Chicago this winter has just been ridiculous. Sub-zero F has become normal and regular as well as 3-8 inches of snow every third or fourth day. So you'll notice a ton of TM or treadmill runs because it's available 2 blocks away. I don't mind outdoors in cold but the constantly sloopy streets has driven me indoors this year for the majority of my runs. Today got out to the lakefront after the honey do list. It was famously cleared on the asphalt parts so a nice cold run with temps in the teens with a stiff north wind so the out part was N and the back part S with a tailwind. 10 weeks to Boston 2014
the week:M-off
Tu-4X800 (3:05's) TM (5mi) and strength workout
W-4mi easy outside snow run w/ Max dog
Th-7mi TM
Fr-off
Sa-7mi TM MP run @7:08 ave p
Su-14mi lakefront sunny aND FRIGG'IN COLD.
37mi wk 168YTD

missed 4mi easy Friday along with a strength session due to long day and long commute, hate traffic ugh!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

10 weeks to Back Bay Empty Re: 10 weeks to Back Bay

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:01 am

I hear you Steven.  See you in April  (I,too, pretty much follow the quality over quantity route as it has worked better for me in the past.)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:30 pm

Look forward to following along.  I too will see you in Boston.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Well, I won't see you in April.  Crying or Very sad   But good training luck to you!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:57 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I hear you Steven.  See you in April  (I,too, pretty much follow the quality over quantity route as it has worked better for me in the past.)
Our bodies do talk loudly sometimes, looking forward to seeing everyone!
Alex Kubacki wrote:Look forward to following along.  I too will see you in Boston.
Cool, hope to meet up in Beantown.
ounce wrote:Well, I won't see you in April.  Crying or Very sad   But good training luck to you!
Thanks for the greeting.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:33 pm

Been juggling work days. So had back to back hard workouts. Tues.- 4X(0.5mi) Treadmill hills @ 4-5% incline w/ 1 down 3%. 5mi total. Wed.-7mi pyramid tempo starting @10min pace peaking @6:30 back down to 9:05 pace. Monday and Thursday off due to crap commute times and fatigue. Today is 4mi easy TM then strength workout.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:19 am

looking forward to following along.  someday I'll have to write one of these blogs.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:09 am

We're all dealing with the crazy weather!  Shocked
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:53 pm

OK, the weekend was a challenge due to family commitments, but managed to fit in a 7mi outside Saturday in the cold but clean streets with little wind. Sunday did 90min on the treadmill, little over 11mi. 34 for the week. Still low on the mileage side, but only missed 1 scheduled run, so not bad since the program is lower mileage.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Today was nice. ran 6mi outside on melting wet streets in sunny 40F weather, nice easy cruise. Yesterday got home late from work, but was determined to get a key workout in. Hit the treadmill for 5 Yasso 800's or 1/2 miles at 3:10. (6 total miles) Monday was 4 easy TM with a core strength workout attached.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:57 pm

Had some bad news regarding my wife's future health. I'll expound on it later, let's just say it was one of those smack you in the head diagnosis's.  Sad 
The remainder of the week after Thurs. off.  Fri-4mi treadmill with a 45min core strength workout Saturday morning-got out early on the streets for a marathon pace run @7:17 pace with full warm gear. Also today 16 on the lakefront @ 8:03 ave pace in full gear.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Oh Steven, please don't do that to us.  Thoughts and prayers to you and your wife.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Good luck with the process, Steven.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:10 pm

OK, 
  We are holding off telling even family until we know the full treatment. Thanks for your concern.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:27 pm

paste:
M-off
Tu-5XTM hills (7mi)
W-4mi TM & strength
Th-8mi TM pyramid tempo 6:40peak
F-off
Sa-inclement weather 10K race 42:44
Su-100 min TM 12mi
37mi week 282 YTD
so the diagnosis was breast cancer. Good news is it's small and isolated. She will find out about treatment in 10 days. Thanks for you thoughts and prayers.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:40 am

I know it sounds silly to think that is good news about your wife as cancer is never good news.  But knowing so many survivors, I think it is good news. I just found out that a running friend of mine in Atlanta was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor - so it has been a rough weekend.  Best of luck with the right treatment procedure and more thoughts and prayers sent west.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:26 am

Well Steve,

We're in the same boat.  This is something I haven't shared here on the board yet, but maybe now is appropriate given your situation.  Last year just before Thanksgiving, when I was in DC with Trevor to run the JFK, my wife went in for a biopsy.  We weren't overly concerned at the time as she had some calcifaction about 10 years earlier that turned out to be benign.

Not so lucky this time.  I was in Germany when I got the call from Lucy that the tumor was malignant.  In 20-20 hindsight, it looks like her 2012 mamogram had an abnomality that wasn't diagnosed correctly, but they are so damn hard to read.  In her case, things were caught relatively early, but given her relatively young age, 54, she opted for the whole chemo treatment after a lumpectomy.  She started chemo 4 weeks ago.  Prognosis is very good.

The reason I share this with you is to counsel taking things one day at a time.  It's a complex disease but vastly researched with ever improving outcomes and it takes time to absorb all the information.  Now three months into this we are so much more knowledgeable and now that a "routine" of sorts has begun its much easier to deal with.  We take it day by day, emotions run high and low as does energy levels in the whole family.  But each challenge is doable. 

His mom's diagnosis is the reason Trevor is raising money for Boston this year.  It became his mission to get in the race and he chose/was selected by Brigham & Women's hospital.  He's on his way.  Here is the link to his story if you're interested >THIS IS NOT A SOLICITATION so please don't take it that way.  http://www.crowdrise.com/bwh2014bostonmarathon/fundraiser/trevorjyoung

I found one website that sells breast cancer singlets for guys and I'll be wearing a pink one as my homage to Lucy.  Here's the link if you're interested in doing the same, it's the only one I've found.  http://breastcancerracestore.com/mens-racing.php

Steve, I really understand the shock of what you're going through.  If I can help out in any way, feel free to reach out to me.  I will keep your wife and you in my prayers.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:50 am

Thanks for sharing that Michael.  A a woman in her early 50s, I've shared this experience with many a close friend.  I owe you a hug.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:42 am

Thoughts and prayers to you and your familiy and hope for the best.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:43 pm

mountandog wrote:Well Steve,

We're in the same boat.  This is something I haven't shared here on the board yet, but maybe now is appropriate given your situation.  Last year just before Thanksgiving, when I was in DC with Trevor to run the JFK, my wife went in for a biopsy.  We weren't overly concerned at the time as she had some calcifaction about 10 years earlier that turned out to be benign.

Not so lucky this time.  I was in Germany when I got the call from Lucy that the tumor was malignant.  In 20-20 hindsight, it looks like her 2012 mamogram had an abnomality that wasn't diagnosed correctly, but they are so damn hard to read.  In her case, things were caught relatively early, but given her relatively young age, 54, she opted for the whole chemo treatment after a lumpectomy.  She started chemo 4 weeks ago.  Prognosis is very good.

The reason I share this with you is to counsel taking things one day at a time.  It's a complex disease but vastly researched with ever improving outcomes and it takes time to absorb all the information.  Now three months into this we are so much more knowledgeable and now that a "routine" of sorts has begun its much easier to deal with.  We take it day by day, emotions run high and low as does energy levels in the whole family.  But each challenge is doable. 

His mom's diagnosis is the reason Trevor is raising money for Boston this year.  It became his mission to get in the race and he chose/was selected by Brigham & Women's hospital.  He's on his way.  Here is the link to his story if you're interested >THIS IS NOT A SOLICITATION so please don't take it that way.  http://www.crowdrise.com/bwh2014bostonmarathon/fundraiser/trevorjyoung

I found one website that sells breast cancer singlets for guys and I'll be wearing a pink one as my homage to Lucy.  Here's the link if you're interested in doing the same, it's the only one I've found.  http://breastcancerracestore.com/mens-racing.php

Steve, I really understand the shock of what you're going through.  If I can help out in any way, feel free to reach out to me.  I will keep your wife and you in my prayers.
Thanks for sharing Michael. Also, thanks for the links and no problem with the fund raising since it's a selfless act of love and compassion. God bless you and your family and know that we will be praying for Lucy's healing and recovery.
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Thanks for sharing that Michael.  A a woman in her early 50s, I've shared this experience with many a close friend.  I owe you a hug.
Yes, after last year's Boston tragedy I believe hugs with be exponentially multiplied across the board.
Alex Kubacki wrote:Thoughts and prayers to you and your familiy and hope for the best.
I appreciate that, Alex, it means a lot to us.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Steve...and Michael...more thoughts and prayers for you, your wives, and your extended families.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:07 pm

Little backin up first. Participated in a Lakefront 10k over the weekend. It was a freaking nasty cold day with a massive NW wind which was in your face strong on the back part of the out and back. I just kept my head and just tried to maintain a decent pace considering the gear and icy sections. Had quite a few rabbits shoot out once the footing was established, started watching them drop one by one on the way back. Actually had fun with a guy by drafting him then passing him to see and he passed back and I had my windshield the rest of the way. Finished 42:44 officially and 25th. All the compression gear helps and I can race in them this time of year without overheating. Didn't hang around after had to get to the car, help!

Monday got 5 on the TM and the usual core strength workout after. Tues went to the indoor track a LA fitness out by the call center. 6 laps to the mile. So 6X800 First 3 were around 3:05 and the last 3 right@ 3:00. Totaled 7mi with warm and cool parts. Actually felt controlled on these. Think this will be my usual interval place since my call center schedule has me out by there on Tues every other week. They have a huge plastic swim pool clock up in the corner of the track. Today, did my strength routine first then 5 at 8min pace on the TM. Looking forward to some slightly warmer temps and less snow to get outside again. Arrow < treadmill
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:55 pm

Th- I took off because of my call center schedule and commute.
Fr-8 outside early 5am. Had to get it in before getting Sam off to school and my appointments. Sam had a track meet that lasted until 11:30pm. Ate late. 
today after sleeping in a bit, 9am, and a rare Saturday appointment got in a treadmill marathon pace run @ 7:13 ave pace. Tomorrow is 18, hopefully outside.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Got 18 in on a half the time sunny lakefront path with some minor passage issues, but short impassible sections. Ran south first so I have the wind at my back on the way back since the winds were out of the SW @ 15mph. 8:30 ave pace. Ahhhh nice shower after a cold soak.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:01 pm

I've been away for a month and just saw and I just prayed for your wife and will continue to do so. I'm sorry you and she have to go through this.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next