365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intervals on a Decline

+6
Jerry
healdgator
Schuey
Michele "1L" Keane
mul21
Alex Kubacki
10 posters

Go down

Intervals on a Decline Empty Intervals on a Decline

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:26 am

Tomorrow I'm going to be doing a 3 x 2M workout. I'm likely to be on a treadmill due to a potential storm. I'm thinking of doing one of the three with it on a decline for Boston.  Now I've done 2M straight decline at MP, but not that far on a decline at a tempo pace.  Is that too fast a pace for that long at a decline?  What do you think?  Thanks.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Intervals on a Decline Empty Re: Intervals on a Decline

Post  mul21 Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:30 pm

I vote no. Way too much potential for injury running downhill that fast for that long, especially on a treadmill.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:15 pm

I agree with Jim.  Lots of risk there.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:35 pm

I disagree, I think that it would be a great workout and it's only two miles. Where you will want to be more cautious is in the workout the next day. You will most like have some soreness in your butt and quads from this workout. 

The reason I say this will be fine is that mostly like the treadmill you will be on will only have a decline of -3 max. I would say it would be a different story if you were running much further then 2 miles and doing it at a greater decline. Over this training cycle I have built myself up doing over time doing these workouts on decline. I actually do a lot of runs to where i'm doing 9 miles or more with the whole run at decline from -1 to -6. 

To be honest the whole key to Boston in my opinion is all about downhill running. If you are not prepared or ready there is no doubt no matter how slow or well you run the first 16 miles of the race you will pay the last 10 miles of the race. With that you will no doubt see your finish time slow down.

Now the only thing that I would add to this is that with it being so late in the training cycle would you really benefit from this type of workout? If you haven't been doing much downhill running then I would think differently about this run but if you have been doing it then this run is not going to hurt you but only benefit you.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:35 pm

mul21 wrote:I vote no.  Way too much potential for injury running downhill that fast for that long, especially on a treadmill.
This.

Risk >> Reward
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Schuey wrote:I disagree, I think that it would be a great workout and it's only two miles. Where you will want to be more cautious is in the workout the next day. You will most like have some soreness in your butt and quads from this workout. 

The reason I say this will be fine is that mostly like the treadmill you will be on will only have a decline of -3 max. I would say it would be a different story if you were running much further then 2 miles and doing it at a greater decline. Over this training cycle I have built myself up doing over time doing these workouts on decline. I actually do a lot of runs to where i'm doing 9 miles or more with the whole run at decline from -1 to -6. 

To be honest the whole key to Boston in my opinion is all about downhill running. If you are not prepared or ready there is no doubt no matter how slow or well you run the first 16 miles of the race you will pay the last 10 miles of the race. With that you will no doubt see your finish time slow down.

Now the only thing that I would add to this is that with it being so late in the training cycle would you really benefit from this type of workout? If you haven't been doing much downhill running then I would think differently about this run but if you have been doing it then this run is not going to hurt you but only benefit you.

Keep in mind you're talking to a guy you didn't get to meet at the JFK50 last fall because he DNSed because of an injury.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:05 pm

mul21 wrote:
Schuey wrote:I disagree, I think that it would be a great workout and it's only two miles. Where you will want to be more cautious is in the workout the next day. You will most like have some soreness in your butt and quads from this workout. 

Keep in mind you're talking to a guy you didn't get to meet at the JFK50 last fall because he DNSed because of an injury.

Like said at the end if you haven't been training on downhills up to this point the workout wouldn't be worth it. If someone has been training all winter for Boston and doing runs on incline/decline trust me they would be fine running 2 miles at a -1 to -3 decline. If you haven't been training on downhills and the body isn't use to it sure there could be some risk but I from my experience the risk is still low at running on a -1 to -3 decline. Then again what do I know, Alex bottom line is that you and only you know how your training has been going and what you have been doing. You know your body better then any of us.

So my advice would be to do what you think would be best for you and not what others think.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Whatever, really sick of TM now.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:16 pm

Alex - you know your body best. If you've been running and you've played with flat and downhill, what's wrong with pushing it a little? If at any point you feel something is not right, well then, you know you're limit.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:04 pm

I don't run on a treadmill so my opinion is . . . not worth the cyberspace its written in, but it's pretty close to race day to be trying new workouts.  So run within your limits.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks everyone. I ended up not doing a full 2M at decline but rather a few minutes in each of the three repeats. Then the last 2M of my cooldown I ran at -2. No issues. I've been doing some fast running downhill and long stretches downhill, just not combined. I don't know if I've been doing enough but I'm going to find out one way or the other in three weeks.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:59 pm

Hopefully you've been running some decent amount of downhills at MP since you will be doing that on Patriots day. At this point though, if you haven't, you may regret it as you descend to finish in Beantown.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:48 pm

fostever wrote:Hopefully you've been running some decent amount of downhills at MP since you will be doing that on Patriots day. At this point though, if you haven't, you may regret it as you descend to finish in Beantown.
They don't call it the graveyard for nothing on the downhill heading to Boston College for nothing! Boston is all about being prepared for all the downhill running. You'll know if you prepared right for Boston on those last 6 miles.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:15 pm

fostever wrote:Hopefully you've been running some decent amount of downhills at MP since you will be doing that on Patriots day. At this point though, if you haven't, you may regret it as you descend to finish in Beantown.

Schuey wrote:
They don't call it the graveyard for nothing on the downhill heading to Boston College for nothing! Boston is all about being prepared for all the downhill running. You'll know if you prepared right for Boston on those last 6 miles.

You two are really thoughtful to Jerry ...
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:57 am

If your truly concerned about running 2M at Tempo Pace, at -1~-3% grade on a soft treadmill, you should be very concerned about lining up in Hopkinton.

Surprisingly, with all the fear mongering about Downhill running...
Trackwork actually produces significantly higher bone stress (tibia), where as downhill running produces slightly more stress than jogging, and uphill running produces significantly less.

That said, running downhill at 15% will increase PEAK Impact forces by ~55%.

The largest issue is rate of muscle damage running downhill does not track with normal fatigue levels.  So when running downhill, you will damage your muscles faster than you will fatigue them.  This is, one of the reason I shake my head when some tells me "you should always aim to even split a downhill course."
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:46 am

Gobbles wrote:If your truly concerned about running 2M at Tempo Pace, at -1~-3% grade on a soft treadmill, you should be very concerned about lining up in Hopkinton.

I wasn't concerned, I was just asking about attempting something I hadn't done before with it being 3.5 weeks out. I've done downhill short sprints, 1min downhill picksups at 3K pace, 2M at marathon pace, but I hadn't done 2M tempo downhill. I'm definitely not concerned about toeing the line in Hopkinton. The legs either will or will not hold up when I'm out there.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:44 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:
Gobbles wrote:If your truly concerned about running 2M at Tempo Pace, at -1~-3% grade on a soft treadmill, you should be very concerned about lining up in Hopkinton.

I wasn't concerned, I was just asking about attempting something I hadn't done before with it being 3.5 weeks out. I've done downhill short sprints, 1min downhill picksups at 3K pace, 2M at marathon pace, but I hadn't done 2M tempo downhill. I'm definitely not concerned about toeing the line in Hopkinton. The legs either will or will not hold up when I'm out there.

I don't care. Racing is all about mind, not legs.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:15 pm

Alex, I really was stating that to you. I meant it to be a bit more general.
The risk of running downhill at realtively low grades is often exaggerated. Key word is low or moderate, as I stated earlier, a 15% grade does produce a significant increase in peak stresses.
That said, the studies I've seen show that subjectively DOMS is less after training for a downhill race, but the strength measures don't seem to be affected. Meaning those training with downhill running are subject to the same performance loss, often lasting days, but subjectively (mentally?) don't feel as much DOMS. Granted, the studies that I read didn't extend even close to the marathon distance.

That said, I'm not sure what you would really gain at this point. One workout really doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down