365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UNDEFEATABLE!

+10
Matt W
Nick Morris
jon c
nkrichards
Mark B
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
fostever
Jerry
Schuey
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

UNDEFEATABLE! - Page 3 Empty Re: UNDEFEATABLE!

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks, Schuey - your explanation regarding hormones and female cycles make sense to me.  I have had my electrolytes tested along with my iron because I am a heavy sweater and as I've aged and those hormone balances have changed the salt cravings have lessened.

On another note, what do you think of this article?

http://www.runnersworld.com/hot-weather-running/prevent-muscle-cramps-during-summer-training?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Training-_-MuscleCramps
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Well, it looked clear to me that the studies mentioned in the article were not funded by Gatorade, which is a good thing to me.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:55 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Thanks, Schuey - your explanation regarding hormones and female cycles make sense to me.  I have had my electrolytes tested along with my iron because I am a heavy sweater and as I've aged and those hormone balances have changed the salt cravings have lessened.

On another note, what do you think of this article?

http://www.runnersworld.com/hot-weather-running/prevent-muscle-cramps-during-summer-training?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Training-_-MuscleCramps
Well first off I want to say what a joke that article is! Right off the bat the author says studies have shown that hydration (dehydration) and electrolyte imbalance has nothing to do with muscle cramping. And what do they list as there number 1 tip? Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Um ok! I could go on and on about there tips but I won't. My personal opnion is that runners world is a joke! Yes, from time to time they have some good advice and it's a fun mag to read but I really think they are off best on a lot of things. I really think they are a good example of being stuck in the Stone Age and to some extend not what to do.

I don't blame them they are in the business of selling magazines not up to date knowledge on nutrition. Although I would say they would benefit from it. It also scares me that the advice they give people listen to and still find them selfs with the same issues! 

There is no doubt in my mind that muscle cramping has to do with the body being on empty and involves electrolytes. From everything I have read proper functioning of the digestive, nervous, cardiac, and Muscular systems depends on adequate electrolyte levels!  

Sure there are many theories why cramping happens and could be different reasons. Bottom line is that it usually happens due to improper hydration and or improper electrolyte replacement.

Ounce - don't even get me started on Gatorade or sh$tade!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Pretty smoking good week so far doing the first week of Brad's plan for me. I will do some updating later on but now it's time to go back out and get in 5 to 6 miles and meet up with the family up a the Lincoln Park Zoo for picnic in the park.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:38 pm

Thought I'd get a rise out of you, and it was complete crap.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:08 pm

Yipes! I almost missed a very interesting conversation about electrolytes.

If it's not too repetitive, Schuey, when you talk about "salt tablets," are you including S-Caps in that category?

Also, what sort of in-race electrolyte supplements have worked for you? Is there some real food that gives you what you need without popping capsules every 20 minutes? I've found it can help, but it's always felt a little weird having to haul around stuff like that.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:35 am

Mark B wrote:Yipes! I almost missed a very interesting conversation about electrolytes.

If it's not too repetitive, Schuey, when you talk about "salt tablets," are you including S-Caps in that category?

Also, what sort of in-race electrolyte supplements have worked for you? Is there some real food that gives you what you need without popping capsules every 20 minutes? I've found it can help, but it's always felt a little weird having to haul around stuff like that.
Hey Mark, I won't say that I would personally object to S-Caps but would say that I don't find them to be for me. Generally when I post I guess I such preference the fact that I will talking about products in the way of how they work for me. As we all know nutrition is very individualized and not like a pair of shorts or shirt. So, I think the important thing is that each person find what works best for them and also keep in mind that those things change over time.

I will go as far as to say that I also believe that finding the right balance in supplements or sports drinks to what will help the body not only perform better and also function correctly is important to me.

Back to your question about S-Caps for me and for most people I think that the levels of Sodium in them are very high and the potassium is low and I feel that they don't have the other key ingredients that make a balanced electrolyte that I'm looking for. Does that mean they don't work for you or others? No, it just means they don't for me but I will say that I think that people should look into other alternatives to see if they perform better and that their bodies react better.

For one race day I take three supplements during the race. This will start 1 hour into the race and will do it every hour Hammer 1 Race Cap Supreme, 1 Anti-Fatigue Cap, 1 Endurolytes Extereme (more depending on heat). So, for a marathon I put two very small ziplock baggies in my little side pocket easy to care an during most races only taking a total of 6 pills while racing. 

The reason I go with the Endurolytes Extereme is 1 they are 3x stronger then the normal ones (before had to take 3 pills per hour vs. only 1 now.) Also I like they bigger spectrum and balance of Sodium, Chioride, calcium, magnesium, potassium, bit B-6, manganese. 

Also, I have some more to talk about in this area, great write up in Runners Time about "Next-Generation Sports Drinks". But Lisa is telling me we have to go take the dog to the vet. So, will continue this later.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks, Schuey. You make good points. I'd also never heard of Endurolytes Extreme before. My biggest gripe about standard Endurolytes is how many you have to take if you're working hard on a warm day. As long as the gut can handle a bigger dose, something with more oomph sounds like a great idea. That was one of the perceived benefits of S-Caps.

I've used both, and I can't say with any certainty that either has helped me more. I know I had to switch to "E-Caps" in the last bit of my 50-miler last year, after a day of S-Caps (I'd run out), and I finished in better condition* than I expected, so... who knows? scratch 

*-"Better condition" is a relative term, of course...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:52 pm

Chicago Marathon Week 18

Monday 6/9

Am 8.01 miles easy 59:46 (7:28 avg. pace)
Pm 5.51 miles easy + 6 x short hill sprints  40:40 (7:23 avg. pace)

Plus core workout

Tuesday 6/10

Pm 11.23 mile Fartlek run 1:16:57 (6:51 avg. pace)

(3mi w/u, 15x30sec (10k-5k) w/ 2:30 moderate, 2 mi c/d)
3mi w/u 21:42 (7:14 avg. pace)
15x30sec (5:35, 5:34, 5:31, 5:10, 5:11, 5:29, 5:21, 5:14, 6:00, 5:53, 5:53, 6:02, 5:44, 5:44 and 5:17)
1.48 mile c/d 10:14 (avg. pace 6:56)

I was supposed to do a double today but do to feeling really tired, this would be the only run I would do. By time I got out the door it started to rain and I would have to say I hand my hands full with the wind! It had been a long time since I have done a fartlek outside and I wasn’t really sure what to expect from the run. In the end I was very happy with the results and the effort I put fourth do the weather. I know as I continue to do this type of workout I will get the pacing smoothed out and under better control. I also liked the way I felt after this workout, again I believe that this was workout will be a good measuring stick as the training cycle goes on. 

Wednesday 6/11

Pm 13.01 miles easy 1:31:21 (7:01 avg. pace)

Plus core workout

Thursday 6/12

Am 6.25 miles easy 46:48 (7:29 avg. pace)
Pm 8.01 miles easy + 10x100m relaxed 58:01 (7:15 avg. pace)

Friday 6/13

Am 11.03 mile Progression run 1:16:05 (6:54 avg. pace)

(3mi w/u, 6mi progression done to MP, 2mi c/d)
3mi w/u 21:47 (7:15 avg. pace)
6mi progression (6:49, 6:44, 6:40, 6:29, 6:27, 6:15)
2.03 c/d 14:37 (7:12 avg. pace)

I really enjoy this run and have to say it was fun to do a nice effort progression run. Again this run was challenging due to it being 80 degrees and humid and high dew point! For the point was to put in the effort and not give up on the run no matter if the progression paces were a little slower than what I was targeting. I would have like to run the last 2 miles at mp to a little faster. I have confidence that running in the hot weather will payoff come October. I also remind myself that pace slows due to the temps, humidity and dew point numbers. What I did like is that I didn’t give up on the run, I stuck with it and I did what I had to do and I got it done!!! 

Pm 6.01 miles w/ strides (8x200m/200m jog (1500m pace) 47:00 (7:47 avg. pace) did this run up to the Lincoln Park zoo for a family night picnic, lots of fun! 

Saturday 6/14

Pm 5.01 miles recovery 38:15 (7:38 avg. pace)  

Plus core workout 

Sunday 6/15

Pm 16.01 miles easy last 5k @ MP 1:55:04 (7:11 avg. pace)

before just doing a 7:00 pace for the last .75 did 1 mile @ 6:42, 6:15 and .26 @ 6:07

I have to admit although I felt good on this run I was fried at the end and knew my limits of doing the last 5k @ MP (6:18). I really think the issue here was I waited way to long to go out and do this run in the afternoon, instead of in the cooler less windy morning conditions. I opt to sleep in today and well paid the piper on the run for doing so. It was 77 degrees with a dew point of 62 and the wind was swirling with gust up to 29mph. So, instead of beating myself up over it, again happy about the effort and for getting all 16 miles done. Lesson learned during the summer months if the long run is not just an easy run I need to get my ass out the door early in the morning to accomplish what I need to get done.  

Goal mileage for the week 88 actually 90.06

Total time running for the week: 10:49:55

UNDEFEATABLE!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:48 am

Nice work, Schuey.  The only caveat to the early morning runs is that the humidity and dew point seem to be much higher even though the temps might be a bit lower (at least around here).  It is a definite trade off.  I only had a 30 min recovery run to do yesterday and I waited until midday when it was 77F but the humidity was down to 45% - what a difference over a run earlier in the week when the temp was the same but the humidity was 89%.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks Michele, I would agree that the dew points and humidity can be higher in the morning. Although I think that the other problem with running in the middle of the day is the sun exposer, there is no doubt that the sun beating down makes it feel warmer. I don't mind it and like I said I think it is good to do runs in that atmosphere, for me at least I believe I benefit from it later. 

On the other hand it's nice to get out early in the morning right when the sun is coming up and still isn't all that intense and be able to build the little mental boost/confidence from nailing a certain or key workout. All in all this past week was a good week for me and something to build on! Smile
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Amen for good weeks! Here's to getting acclimated to the heat!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:15 pm

Oh yeah, fing fun fun fun fun doing a 11 mile progression run on the first 92 degree day! Yeah buddy!
 So, how did it go............ Oh the suspense!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:36 pm

I figured I would post this run early this week, since it was the first 90+ day in Chicago this summer. The plan was 12 miles progression with 3 miles at MP to HM pace. Well, as the day went on I though to myself that this is not going to happen to I really don't feel like going outside to to this.

The approach I took was i would head out the door and see where the run takes me. Well, I didn't hit HM pace but all in all I was very happy about the run. To be honest I was surprised on how well I did overall but will admit that the 3 miles at 6:20, 6:20 and 6:07 were tough. Well the last 1.5 miles were, the first mile at 6:20 didn't seem all that bad but then the heat, humidity and sun started to work it's magic. Also, I pulled the plug at 11 miles thinking to myself that the effort was good enough and 1 mile short for the day was not that bad.

mile 1 - 7:29
mile 2 - 7:09
mile 3 - 6:59
mile 4 - 6:54
mile 5 - 6:55
mile 6 - 6:53
mile 7 - 6:20
mile 8 - 6:20
mile 9 - 6:09
mile 10 - 7:15
mile 11 - 7:30
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:33 pm

Heat is sure difficult to train in. Especially when the training calls for an up tempo pace. Hopefully your weather will be merciful to you. Sounds like you're off to a good start though.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:22 am

Been a busy week with lots going on but here is my planned running for week 16

Monday 6/23

Am 8 miles easy
Pm 6 miles easy + 10 x short hills

Tuesday 6/24

Am 12 miles fartlek (3mi w/u, 15x40sec (5K) w/2:20 between, and 3mi c/d)
Pm 5 miles easy

Wednesday 6/25

13 miles easy

Thursday 6/26

Am 9 miles easy
Pm 5 miles easy + 8x100m

Friday 6/27

Am 13 miles progression run (3mi w/u, 8mi progression (to MP), and 2mi c/d
Pm 6 miles w 10x200m (3mi w/u, 10x200m (1500m pace) w 200m jog between, and 1mi c/d)

Saturday 6/28

6 mile recovery

Sunday 6/29

19 miles Long run easy w/ last 5k @ MP

Goal mileage 102
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:45 am

Dang bro you are really laying down some training early, way to go. Just caught up reading some entries and saw the news about you and Lisa having another child, congrats on another arrow in your quiver!!!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:22 pm

I'm asking this for informational purposes for me.  Why so many miles?   Neutral
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:02 am

fostever wrote:Dang bro you are really laying down some training early, way to go. Just caught up reading some entries and saw the news about you and Lisa having another child, congrats on another arrow in your quiver!!!
Thanks Steve, yeah a dad's philosophy is no joke! For sure it's a different training approach I have ever used. I also like the fact every week the next weeks training is based off what we talk about from the past week. He sure is putting me to the test and building me up for race specific training.

Yep, looking forward to the new family member joining our family!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:35 am

ounce wrote:I'm asking this for informational purposes for me.  Why so many miles?   Neutral
My apologies for the delay response.

1. I like running high mileage, it's as simply as I enjoy running Smile. I believe in the principle that volume is the most important to my success to run my best. When I was at the top of my game and running my best and PRs, I was also run my highest mileage.

2. I find for me when I run more which for me equals high mileage, I'm more consistent in my training. By keeping my mileage relatively high I minimize risky volume ramp-up periods in my training. Which in returns reduces the risk of injury. Because I subscribe to this philosophy I learned that after coming back from absent of running high mileage I have worked my build-up of returning to my old mileage over the last 2 years. As you know working nights and being a first time father my focus on training was not a number 1 priority. Therefore I had to use this time to figure out how I can balance life with my training, again I was smart about this and used the last 2 years to find the right formula that would work for me now.

Now the more obvious things for why I believe in the philosophy of high mileage. I'm not saying this is 100% true or proven but for me makes sense, and I feel has been a result of my past experience personally by running high mileage.

1. Enormous aerobic base (which I feel is king for my success as long distance runner)
2. Better running efficiency
3. Better muscle fatigue
4. Increased glycogen stores
5. Ability to utilize fat
6. Increased capillary density
7. More mitochondria
8. Mental edge

Also, let me note that I believe running high mileage is relative to one's ability, past training, and race goals. What may be high mileage for one person may be an easy week for another. I believe that it's not necessary a matter of the number of miles one runs but more that one is running at their optimal ability. By doing this I believe the runner will be able to maximize the benefits of their training and better maximize their ability to perform  at their potential. Hence meet their race goals.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Well stated, Schuey.  I sometimes wish that I had adopted a higher mileage approach when I was in my early 40s as I think I might have benefited; however, it was pretty tough to often get 40-50 mpw with my daughter's schedule, etc., and I only have the one.  Now, I think I need to be more careful as its 10 yrs later, but I'm hoping on getting back up to the 50-60 mpw level before NYC as I was there before NYC in 2011 and ran well on the course.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks, Schuey.  I would probably be covering more ground per run, if I was 5-6 minutes a mile faster than I am now.

Thanks again.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:44 pm

ounce wrote:Thanks, Schuey.  I would probably be covering more ground per run, if I was 5-6 minutes a mile faster than I am now.

Thanks again.

Doug question for you how many hours are you putting per week running?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Schuey wrote:
ounce wrote:Thanks, Schuey.  I would probably be covering more ground per run, if I was 5-6 minutes a mile faster than I am now.

Thanks again.

Doug question for you how many hours are you putting per week running?

Under my present plan of 4 days of 9 miles each, a bit less than 7 hours and 50-something minutes.  I can't run on the weekends.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:03 pm

Yep I still around and really want and need to post more to my blog. I have so many different things on my mind that I think would be great to write about in my blog. Things have just been crazy the last few weeks and training has been going to great, although the last two weeks sucked at the end of the week! First off on the 4th of July after my first run I ended up breaking a toe doing some stuff around the house.
This resulted into an issue to were I could not get my foot into my running shoes, therefore no running for 2 days. End result mileage suffered! Sad

Then this past week the week was going great, I was feeling strong and was poised for a solid weekend of training! NOT!! Thanks to my super awesome daughter she decided to give daddy a little bug that would ended up knocking me out for 3 days! Yep I was so out of it and sick that I ended up sleeping all day Friday, Saturday and most of Sunday (up to the time I had to go to work)!! 3 days of missed running again end result mileage sucked for the 2nd straight week!!! Sad Sad

Now that being said I have to admit the running that I did get in over the last two weeks was awesome, solid training. So, I will not beat myself up for 2 bad weeks of training, and the best part is that it wasn't due to my own laziness.

Here is to a new week and looking forward to hitting my target mileage this week and getting this ship back on track for the next 13 weeks!!! Let's do this!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum