365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"No Pressure"

+13
Chris M
Jim Lentz
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Dave P
JohnP
Schuey
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
nkrichards
ounce
Mark B
Nick Morris
17 posters

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

"No Pressure" - Page 14 Empty Re: "No Pressure"

Post  Julie Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:13 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Julie wrote:I don't understand why a charity wouldn't want someone to raise funds for them. Am I missing something?

I think that it comes down to only having so many spots and they want to get the most lucrative donors in to get the most fund raising.

OK, yeah I had thought that after I asked. Well, I wish you the best in getting a good spot with a charity you really care about. There are so many good organizations out there.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:18 pm

Julie wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:
Julie wrote:I don't understand why a charity wouldn't want someone to raise funds for them. Am I missing something?

I think that it comes down to only having so many spots and they want to get the most lucrative donors in to get the most fund raising.

OK, yeah I had thought that after I asked. Well, I wish you the best in getting a good spot with a charity you really care about. There are so many good organizations out there.

Do the applications ask how much you can raise?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:44 pm

ounce wrote:
Julie wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:

Do the applications ask how much you can raise?

Yes, they ask what your fundraising goal is. I actually had to submit a detailed plan stating exactly how I plan on raising the funds...to the dollar.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:52 pm

4 taper miles this morning in Denver. My meetings didn't start as early this morning. Which meant that I was able to get my miles in after the sun was up. Tomorrow is an off/travel day as I head back to Madison in the evening following some morning meetings.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:24 am

I was able to hop on an earlier flight yesterday afternoon and made it back home from Denver an hour earlier than I was originally schedule to. I plan on getting in an easy 2 miles tonight and then start packing for the weekend race.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:24 am

Here we are...race day. It just seems like yesterday that I started the training. 19 weeks went by fast!! I lucked out this year, because the temp is 37 degrees this morning (feels like 31 with the wind chill) and will reach in the middle to upper 40s by the time that I finish. Beginning of October marathons are a crap shoot for weather.

Yesterday we ran the last part of the course through wind and drizzle. It was a good 2.80 miles to get the blood going. Should be a nice course...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:19 am

Looks like you got great weather Nick.  Make the best of it and have a great race!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:21 am

Hope its going well!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:25 pm

Nicely done, sir! I wish I could "not race" that fast! Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:57 am

Good job, Nick!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:53 am

Tom H wrote:Looks like you got great weather Nick.  Make the best of it and have a great race!

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Hope its going well!

Mark B wrote:Nicely done, sir! I wish I could "not race" that fast! Approval

Jim Lentz wrote:Good job, Nick!

Thanks everyone!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:08 am

Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

Race day came and went. It was a great day for a marathon, with a temperature of 37 at race start and a slight head/cross wind of 6 mph. my plan was to run with my friend, Pete, and hold 7:30s for as long as he could. From there, we would just try to make it to the end Smile We started out not too fast, as we averaged 7:28 for the first 4 miles. A quick stop at the porta-john for Pete to pee (i decided I would too, which is the first time that I have ever peed during a race) at mil 7 put us back to a 7:34 average pace, but right where we wanted to be. A little more than the first half of the course was rolling hills that seemed to climb. Just when I thought that there would be a large downhill, my thoughts were wrong and we would climb some more. We get to mile 14 and I could tell that Pete was tiring, our paces were climbing to the upper 7:40s and lower 7:50s. I told him that it's alright and we will gut it out. We continued on and by mile 18, he was shot. I'll admit that I was tired too, but the more I slowed down the farther he would be behind me. We stopped two more times, because he needed to pee and the last stop at mile 20, he almost vomited. We kept on, though, as our projected finish kept rising. The 3:30 projection went out the door and it was more about finishing than anything else. At about mile 23 1/2 my legs started to hate me enough to where I had to bear down myself. Pete was able to stick with me until about a half mile to go and then he just couldn't quite move as fast. Knowing that he would make it, I continued on and finished at 3:40:xx. Pete followed me in at 3:41:xx. Definitely not a fast run for me, but I wasn't really trying to run fast, anyways.

It was a nice course on a great day and I think that if I was in decent shape, I would have had a good shot at a PR.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:27 am

Well done, but what is this temperature you speak of with a 3 or a 4 in the tens slot?  You mean temps go below 70 elsewhere?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:53 am

Nice run with your friend, Nick.  I'm betting you expended a lot more mental energy than you realized which can be tiring in itself (I know as I just paced my friend through the last 20 at Akron and it was tough).  Have you heard from any of those charities yet?

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:00 pm

That sounded like my Boston this year Embarassed Nice job getting him to the finish
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:21 pm

ounce wrote:Well done, but what is this temperature you speak of with a 3 or a 4 in the tens slot?  You mean temps go below 70 elsewhere?

When you live in the arctic like I do, summer doesn't last that long.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Nice run with your friend, Nick.  I'm betting you expended a lot more mental energy than you realized which can be tiring in itself (I know as I jsut paced my friend through the last 20 at Akron and it was tough).  Have you heard from any of those charities yet?

Yes, it was definitely a mental grind. My body doesn't feel too bad today, although I got a purple toenail out of it Smile

In regards to the charities, I have not heard anything when it comes to the actual selection. I did have to submit a detailed, line item, fundraising plan for one of them. They then replied stating that it will still be a couple of weeks to review. I am hoping I will know before the end of October. They are cutting into my fundraising time Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:27 pm

fostever wrote:That sounded like my Boston this year Embarassed Nice job getting him to the finish

Thanks. It's been a while since I had that much of a mental grinding race/run.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:04 pm

Nice work, Nick. Sounds like you found out what I did a few years ago when I decided to run, not race, a marathon: It's still quite a ways, and it can get pretty uncomfortable even at an "easier" pace. Go figure!

Nice of you to help your friend through it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:17 pm

Mark B wrote:Nice work, Nick. Sounds like you found out what I did a few years ago when I decided to run, not race, a marathon: It's still quite a ways, and it can get pretty uncomfortable even at an "easier" pace. Go figure!

Nice of you to help your friend through it.

The funny thing about running is that "any" run can get uncomfortable.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:11 pm

Nick Morris wrote: We started out not too fast, as we averaged 7:28 for the first 4 miles.  A quick stop at the porta-john for Pete to pee (i decided I would too, which is the first time that I have ever peed during a race) at mil 7 put us back to a 7:34 average pace, but right where we wanted to be.  
So I take it that a part of your training was speed-peeing as well?  A 7:28 to a 7:34 means you spent very little time watering the bushes!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:13 pm

Tom H wrote:
Nick Morris wrote: We started out not too fast, as we averaged 7:28 for the first 4 miles.  A quick stop at the porta-john for Pete to pee (i decided I would too, which is the first time that I have ever peed during a race) at mil 7 put us back to a 7:34 average pace, but right where we wanted to be.  
So I take it that a part of your training was speed-peeing as well?  A 7:28 to a 7:34 means you spent very little time watering the bushes!

I calculated it out to be about 42 seconds of peeing time Smile

I don't like stopping, but since he was stopping, I figured I should too.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:58 pm

Wow, great job! That was great you could help your friend out and I'm pretty impressed that was your first marathon taking a potty stop. It's still a lot of miles even if that wasn't your normal marathon pace so I hope you give yourself a break this week.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:56 am

Julie wrote:Wow, great job! That was great you could help your friend out and I'm pretty impressed that was your first marathon taking a potty stop. It's still a lot of miles even if that wasn't your normal marathon pace so I hope you give yourself a break this week.

Thanks and yes, my plan is to take this week off. Then work my way back into running next week.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:08 pm

Update on Boston Charities...

I heard back from one charity this morning, stating that they are full and are not able to accept my application. They did put me on their wait list, though. So, one down and three to go...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next