365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

There Is A Road, No Simple Highway!

+4
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
nkrichards
Schuey
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

There Is A Road, No Simple Highway! Empty There Is A Road, No Simple Highway!

Post  Schuey Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:42 pm

"There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Ripple in still water,
When there is no pebble tossed,
Nor wind to blow.

But if you fall you fall alone,
If you should stand then who's to guide you?
If I knew the way I would take you home."

Well, it has been a while and I was debiting whether I even wanted to have another blog. As you can see I choose to try and blog again and be a little more consistent in posting and updating my running.

Like it says above 'There is a road, no simple highway", there is no doubt that is the road I face this coming winter and spring preparing for Boston will not be a simple one. It is going to be tough and take a lot of hard work on my part. I'm ready for the challenge and to see how I handle it. I try feel that 2015 is going to be my comeback year and I will finally start to get myself back to a better running condition.  Still planning my 50 mile races for this coming year, yep "races"; planning on running multiply 50 mile races. Next step from there is the planning for 100 mile races.

Along with the excitement of training really looking forward to meeting our 2nd child any day now!

So, here is to the rest of 2014, 19 weeks to Boston, 50 and 100 milers, and to better running season in 2015!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

There Is A Road, No Simple Highway! Empty Re: There Is A Road, No Simple Highway!

Post  nkrichards Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:38 pm

WHAT???? Only 19 weeks to Boston...how will I ever be ready?

Good to see you back on the boards...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

There Is A Road, No Simple Highway! Empty Re: There Is A Road, No Simple Highway!

Post  Schuey Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:09 pm

nkrichards wrote:WHAT????  Only 19 weeks to Boston...how will I ever be ready?

Good to see you back on the boards...

Well, 19 weeks on Monday. Smile So, you have a little more time and I'm sure you will be plenty ready to go!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:13 pm

Today was nothing special running wise, a nice simple 15.10 miles @ 7:20 w/ 14 .25 mile pick-ups between 7:04 to 6:00 pace.

Felt pretty good.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:21 pm

Are you still using a coach, Schuey?  And more importantly, how is Lisa feeling?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:53 pm

Stick around this time, would ya?  If you plan on running JFK, you've got another DC-area crew member.  I probably wouldn't be fast enough to pace you, but maybe.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:02 pm

Another part of my scheme for improvements not only for running but my over all health is a better approach to nutrient. Yes, I'm also one step closer to finally being certified in sports nutrient. So, you could say that a lot of what I'm doing is experimenting on myself right now.

As most of us should know that by the demands we put on our bodies being runners, we should know that these demands will trigger special nutritional need. That the needs for each of us will be similar but at the same different due to the fact that are demands and training are unique from one another. Note, ones physical condition will also be a determining factor of what food and supplements will work best for ones specific running. Although I have know for years, I have to finally admit that the approach to my sports nutrient program must be a skill; just like I approach my running as a skill.

So, with that being said I continue to modify my approach to my nutritional needs as I continue to fine tune what I feel is working best for me. These needs also change depending on what I'm looking to accomplish and what phase of my training I'm in.

FRIDAY

Breakfast: Baked eggs with buffalo chicken hash
Supplements: 7 hammer premium insurance  caps, 1 mito cap, 1 super antioxidant, 1 chromemate, 2 fish oil

Lunch: Wild Salmon lox on Salt bagel with cream cheese, onions and cappers
Supplements: 1 mito cap, 1 chromemate

Pre-run: 3 race cap supreme
Post run: 1 xobaline and 1 boron

Dinner: Homemade Lasagna w/ ground buffalo  , udon noodles and nice glass of Regusci 2008 Zinfandal
Supplements: 7 premium insurance caps, 1 mito cap, 1 super antioxidant, 1 ao booster, 1 chromemate, 1 biotin, and 2 fish oil
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:36 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Are you still using a coach, Schuey?  And more importantly, how is Lisa feeling?
Yes, still working with Brad. Lisa is doing doing great. Baby pretty much due any day!
 Mike MacLellan wrote:Stick around this time, would ya?  If you plan on running JFK, you've got another DC-area crew member.  I probably wouldn't be fast enough to pace you, but maybe.
Haha yes that's the plan Mike! Yes I plan on JFK again and no doubt you would be a great pacer to have!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:08 pm

Woot! Another Schuey blog! You've got a big year ahead of you, with training and races and another little one on the way. Prepare for adventure!

I'm curious about your nutrition plan: What's your general philosophy for the feeding of a runner?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Mark B wrote:Woot! Another Schuey blog! You've got a big year ahead of you, with training and races and another little one on the way. Prepare for adventure!

I'm curious about your nutrition plan: What's your general philosophy for the feeding of a runner?

For me my goal is to keep it simple and "whole food". I know that word is kicked around a lot today "whole", but that in a nutshell is my general philosophy. I have to be honest it is hard and something I'm still struggling with getting it right but I know like with anything as long as I continue to try I will get there.

The general basis is to cut out no junk food, processed foods, cereal. The big thing is detoxing from "!!! This really is the tough part cutting out sugar as much as possible. It can be done and like any drug or addiction it just takes hard work and commit to achieve that goal. I now have to admit like anything in life I feel that extremes are not a good think, so I have left the window open to allow for a "free for all" a small portion of the time. What does this mean? Well, I think it is good to allow myself to eat whatever I want about 5 to 10 percent. I feel that if I can eat the right way 90 to 95 percent of time I'm doing good. At this point let me warn you Mark, 100% disclosure this is were I'm struggling! Yep, I can be doing great for a month or two and then it it's like a addict I fall off the wagon and I find myself eating way to much sugar, junk food and etc.. This is were I still need to find tune my nutrition.

I like your question Mark and now that you have asked I think that I'm going to spend the next week thinking more about my approach and describe more of what I 'm attempting to do in this area.

Last edited by Schuey on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:08 pm

Comforting to know that even the greats struggle, Schuey.  Tough to reach for the bowl of broccoli when you've got half a pie left in the fridge, right?  

One thing I noticed from my vegan days was that on those days I ate really well - lots of whole food protein, antioxidants, tons of veggies and berries - I recovered amazingly well.  Maybe that could be a source of motivation?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:13 pm

Going to keep this post rather quick and simple for now. I need to try and get in a quick short run before church and than get home cook dinner to take to work tonight and run again. Oh, let's not forget get as much family time in before I go!

The other thing that would make the day even better is if baby schu schu decided to come into the world to meet us.

Any hoot, yesterday was a busy day and hence the reason why I slept in today. Got up yesterday at 6:45am (yes that is early for the night working guy!), I have to admit I loved it and truly miss being up early in the morning. We spent the morning at the Shedd aquarium. I love that place and love watching Krissy run around with a huge smile on her face!

Yesterday, was also family Christmas party. One of the other best things that has happen in my life since last year is my reconnection with my real dad's side of the family. Up until last year I haven't spoken or seen any of them since my dad's funeral 28 years ago (coming up on December 11th will be 29 years that my dad left this earth and entered eternal life). Therefore, my wonderful wife chased me off the treadmill and told me it was time to go party.

So, with such a busy Saturday although I would have liked to do more and even run a double, I settled for one nice easy run yesterday.

10 miles simple and easy @ 7:18 pace. ( 1st 10 miles of the Boston course).
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:41 pm

One of our old dead show friends, Marty, died couple weeks ago and some of his former jam buddies played that song on acoustic guitars and mandolin at the funeral last Monday. Hey, thanks for the b-day greeting today. Trying to salvage my dismal sales this enrollment period by sitting in a call center and collecting low hanging fruit, lol, so hardly any running. After tonight no more 12 hr days! yay Yikes 19 weeks 'til we convene again in Hopkinton, looks like your still logging solid mileage. Got to get crack'n.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:37 pm

Your focus on nutrition is great!  That's an area where we all probably could stand to have significant improvement.  You might want to think about once a week making it a goal to post something you find important in the area of runner nutrition, the whats, whys, whens, and hows to help crystallize your own thinking, get some good questions from the group that could drive your learning deeper, and have the joy of sharing with others eager to learn.  Just curious, what is involved in becoming a certified sports nutritionist?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Comforting to know that even the greats struggle, Schuey.  Tough to reach for the bowl of broccoli when you've got half a pie left in the fridge, right?  

One thing I noticed from my vegan days was that on those days I ate really well - lots of whole food protein, antioxidants, tons of veggies and berries - I recovered amazingly well.  Maybe that could be a source of motivation?

Yep, sure can be a battle and one that is hard to win at times. Yes, it is amazing how different the body reacts when you fuel it in healthy way.

Oh I love pie!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:46 pm

fostever wrote:One of our old dead show friends, Marty, died couple weeks ago and some of his former jam buddies played that song on acoustic guitars and mandolin at the funeral last Monday. Hey, thanks for the b-day greeting today. Trying to salvage my dismal sales this enrollment period by sitting in a call center and collecting low hanging fruit, lol, so hardly any running. After tonight no more 12 hr days! yay Yikes 19 weeks 'til we convene again in Hopkinton, looks like your still logging solid mileage. Got to get crack'n.

Steve sorry to hear about Marty, I saw that on your FB page and enjoyed looking at the pictures back in the day. Prayers go out to him and his family!

12 hour days suck period!!!!

Yes, yikes only 19 weeks to go! I just have one thing to ask "All I want to know is were does the time go!"
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:52 pm

Tom H wrote:Your focus on nutrition is great!  That's an area where we all probably could stand to have significant improvement.  You might want to think about once a week making it a goal to post something you find important in the area of runner nutrition, the whats, whys, whens, and hows to help crystallize your own thinking, get some good questions from the group that could drive your learning deeper, and have the joy of sharing with others eager to learn.  Just curious, what is involved in becoming a certified sports nutritionist?

Thanks Tom, yes I believe that nutrition needs to go hand and hand with training. I like your idea of coming up with a weekly topic and I think I'm going to take you up on that and start posting a weekly topic. Thanks for refreshing that idea in my head! Yes, my head can be a strange distracted place to be at times! Smile

To be honest there isn't much involved, well yes and no. I'm doing it from home and going through ISSA, there is a lot of reading and studying. I also like that on their access page for me is that there is a lot of useful links, articles and etc.. I will also need to take an exam at the end, along with sending in my workbook, and I have to do some studies/write papers on results of carb loading and also workout plans. I will also need to write essays on solving questions/concerns of a client on varies topics.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:07 pm

Well, my intention is to make sure I stay up to date on posting my training. It sure is a lot easier to post everything when I keep up to date vs. playing catch-up.

Monday 12/8

Am 5 miles easy 7:23 pace (37:00)

Pm 6.21 miles easy 7:15 pace (45:00) first 2 miles at 0% incline/decline and the last 4.21 miles at -6 decline. Time to get those quads ready and strong for Boston.

I would have loved to get outside for one of my runs yesterday, but until Lisa gives birth to either Marty/Jenna it will have to be all treadmill. I really don't need to be caught outside miles from home and Lisa going in to labor. We are on Red Alert and baby 2 can come any day!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:24 pm

My apologies to myself and for all of you following my new blog and running adventures. This past week as bee a weird semi stressful week. Lisa and I were expecting the birth of our 2nd child this past week and well it just didn't happen. The due date was Friday the 12th and well that has come and gone and we are still sitting in limbo!!!!

We will be going back to the doctors on Monday and if the baby is not born between now and then we will be finding out if it will be Tuesday the 16th or Thursday 18 or Friday the 19th . Therefore one way or another our new family member will be joining us next week some time!! Yeah Yeah

Due to all that I have had a weird week of training. It happens and to be honest the other was a little more important this past week. The crazy thing about it is like going through taper and waiting for race day. The only problem with this is that you just don't know when race will be, which in returns makes the taper that much nuts!! Smile

I have a few other things to get done around the house get my run in and I will come back later with a running update for the week.

thanks All for reading!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:53 pm

just catching up Martin.  I like the Zin in your nutrition plan.  I started and ended there.  lol.

The baby will come when s/he comes.  Blessing #2!!
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:24 pm

Ok all I have not left this blog already. I have plans of posting a lot about my training and other things. It's just that I or I should say we have been waiting for the arrival of our 2nd kid. So, we have been busy and being going back and fourth t the doctors the last week. As of yesterday the baby is a week pass due, hopefully something happens soon.

On quick running note I should put in 94 miles this week
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:38 am

The time has finally come were at the hospital waiting for the arrival of baby schu schu! We are so excited and I'm praying for Lisa's safety and a healthy baby!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:54 am

All right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Let us know.  Thinking of you guys.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:13 pm

Baby boy Martin Alexander born @ 9:27am 8ilb 8oz! Little Marty healthy and doing good as is Lisa!!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:23 pm

Yay!  What a great Christmas present to you guys!!  Congratulations!!!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next