365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+14
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
Penelope
Chris M
Julie
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Jim Lentz
dot520
Nick Morris
charles.moman
Schuey
18 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 24 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  ounce Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:11 pm

Julie wrote:Glad things seem to be going well. 50 miler in Crocs? Wow! Here I am contemplating breaking out my shoes with 0 miles in them for my last 2 miler tomorrow. But I'm freaking out right now and I don't want to pass it on. I should really just stay off the computer.
What is it about you, Mark, that makes people come here in TAPER MADNESS and chat?  Poor Julie, she has 3 days to go.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Julie wrote:Glad things seem to be going well. 50 miler in Crocs? Wow! Here I am contemplating breaking out my shoes with 0 miles in them for my last 2 miler tomorrow. But I'm freaking out right now and I don't want to pass it on. I should really just stay off the computer.

Nonono! PLEASE stay on the computer, Julie. There's nothing quite so exquisitely alive as a runner in the throes of taper madness. It's one of the best ways to enjoy running as a spectator sport. It rubs off. Very Happy

Now, as to the new shoes... I trust they're just a new version of your last trusty pair? Pay heed to the seams, because differences in sewing can have a big impact when they're put to the test. So it's good to test them out now.

You're going to do great!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:15 pm

ounce wrote:
What is it about you, Mark, that makes people come here in TAPER MADNESS and chat?  Poor Julie, she has 3 days to go.

Why not? Birds of a feather, and all that. Only one thing better than a cuckoo. That's two of them.

(And I suppose it feels good when it feels like you're going crazy to go check in on someone whose craziness is well-documented. Then you remember, "Whew! It's just taper.")

Besides, it's been a while now since I've had the singularly wonderful/awful sensation of taper. It makes me want to feel it again, and that's a very good thing.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:33 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

Why not? Birds of a feather, and all that. Only one thing better than a cuckoo. That's two of them.

(And I suppose it feels good when it feels like you're going crazy to go check in on someone whose craziness is well-documented. Then you remember, "Whew! It's just taper.")

Besides, it's been a while now since I've had the singularly wonderful/awful sensation of taper. It makes me want to feel it again, and that's a very good thing.

Maybe we need to create a "Taper Madness Wacky Room - we know your pain" blog to blow off steam.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:04 pm

ounce wrote:Maybe we need to create a "Taper Madness Wacky Room - we know your pain" blog to blow off steam.

I thought that was the unwritten mission statement for the whole 365 site!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Maybe we need to create a "Taper Madness Wacky Room - we know your pain" blog to blow off steam.

I thought it was a springboard to blog fame and fortune on the World Wide Web!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:53 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I thought it was a springboard to blog fame and fortune on the World Wide Web!

Now he tells me...  :rimshot:
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:59 pm

So, I suppose this is a good lesson...

Guess I'm not quite up to doubling up cross-training and aerobic activity yet, even if its just walking. I'm not hurt, but my body is telling me to take the day off and recover. Sure, they say discretion being the better part of valor, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. tongue
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Exact same shoes. The 2 miles I have on them broke them in, I'm sure. By the end of the race they'll have 33 miles so I should be good to go. Day off sounds good, better than asking for an injury. I don't know. I'm taking the next 2 days off to up the taper madness I seem to be experiencing.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:24 pm

I'll trade you weather Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:13 pm

Julie wrote:Exact same shoes. The 2 miles I have on them broke them in, I'm sure. By the end of the race they'll have 33 miles so I should be good to go. Day off sounds good, better than asking for an injury. I don't know. I'm taking the next 2 days off to up the taper madness I seem to be experiencing.

Sounds exciting! If you feel like you're about to explode, you're tapering right. What a Face
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:17 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I'll trade you weather Smile

It's all yours. I am so sick of sunny and hottish weather. If I'd wanted a California autumn, I'd still be there.

Luckily, that will change soon. A big weather system is heading our way, which will break the ridge of high pressure that's making it so warm and dry around here and bring some needed rain. Maybe a lot of it. Some forecasters are throwing around terms like "atmospheric river" and "pineapple express," with an expected arrival this weekend.

All I can says is: bring. it. on.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:42 pm

I would take a California autumn any day...

I really need to move...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Nick Morris wrote:I would take a California autumn any day...

I really need to move...

Watch out what you wish for Nick.  Those California autumn days have included days of 97 degrees and cloudless skies the last week!  It is down in the 80's now, so much more betta.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Tom H wrote:

I really need to move...

Watch out what you wish for Nick.  Those California autumn days have included days of 97 degrees and cloudless skies the last week!  It is down in the 80's now, so much more betta.

I would enjoy that Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:14 pm

Nick Morris wrote:
Tom H wrote:

I really need to move...

I would enjoy that Smile

For a while, probably. But it gets old after a while. I remember one year when I lived in SoCal where there was probably nine months between instances of measurable precipitation. So. Much. Blue. Sky. It got tedious.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:38 pm

Hey, no SoCal bashing!  

...Actually, I text my mom daily to make fun of her horrendously bad Indian Summer.  Still in the 90s where I come from.  Disgusting.

And you're right, Mark, there's a TON of blue sky.  But when every day is a beach day, can you really complain?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:03 pm

This year we went 160 days between measurable precipitation, and you had to be generous to say that what we had a week or two was measurable.  Now brown is the new green, water restrictions are in place, more and more artificial turf is popping up as front lawns and if we don't get some decent rain soon, it'll be back to the saying that was all over the radio and TV in the 70's drought, "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down".  That all being said, the climate is absolutely awesome when it comes to outdoor activities and I consider myself very fortunate to live here and be able to take advantage of it.  After my stint in Cleveland, I've decided to pass on the shoveling of snow for about the next, oh, forever.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Hey, no SoCal bashing!  

...Actually, I text my mom daily to make fun of her horrendously bad Indian Summer.  Still in the 90s where I come from.  Disgusting.

And you're right, Mark, there's a TON of blue sky.  But when every day is a beach day, can you really complain?

Beach day? Ha! When you live east of the Santa Ana Mountains, and the only sand is blowing in from the Mojave Desert at 85 mph under those blue, blue skies... you're allowed to complain.

*For the record, I lived in SoCal for nine years, which made me practically a lifer in those parts.

Last edited by Mark B on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Tom H wrote:This year we went 160 days between measurable precipitation, and you had to be generous to say that what we had a week or two was measurable.  Now brown is the new green, water restrictions are in place, more and more artificial turf is popping up as front lawns and if we don't get some decent rain soon, it'll be back to the saying that was all over the radio and TV in the 70's drought, "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down".  That all being said, the climate is absolutely awesome when it comes to outdoor activities and I consider myself very fortunate to live here and be able to take advantage of it.  After my stint in Cleveland, I've decided to pass on the shoveling of snow for about the next, oh, forever.

It's been quite bad down there this year. Maybe you'll finally get a good El Niño year and recharge those reservoirs.

And shoveling snow all winter doesn't sound like a lot of fun, either. I'll take the milder marine climate, even if it does mean more than our share of rainy, gloomy days come February.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:42 am

Tom H wrote:This year we went 160 days between measurable precipitation, and you had to be generous to say that what we had a week or two was measurable.  Now brown is the new green, water restrictions are in place, more and more artificial turf is popping up as front lawns and if we don't get some decent rain soon, it'll be back to the saying that was all over the radio and TV in the 70's drought, "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down".  That all being said, the climate is absolutely awesome when it comes to outdoor activities and I consider myself very fortunate to live here and be able to take advantage of it.  After my stint in Cleveland, I've decided to pass on the shoveling of snow for about the next, oh, forever.
Please be careful with the Cleveland bashing as I still have to live here for at least another year or so.  My hubby would love to live back in SoCal, but I'm not sure I can deal with the real estate price tags and 100F temps - dry or not!  It's too bad that where I am in the summer is so bad in the winter snow-wise as it is beautiful and a great place to run.  Mike can attest to the hills and beautiful area.  I probably should stay longer into the fall, but once everyone leaves it gets very quiet, almost ghost town like.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:50 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Please be careful with the Cleveland bashing as I still have to live here for at least another year or so.  My hubby would love to live back in SoCal, but I'm not sure I can deal with the real estate price tags and 100F temps - dry or not!  It's too bad that where I am in the summer is so bad in the winter snow-wise as it is beautiful and a great place to run.  Mike can attest to the hills and beautiful area.  I probably should stay longer into the fall, but once everyone leaves it gets very quiet, almost ghost town like.

So there are a lot of snowbirds in Cleveland? I hadn't really considered that possibility, but I've never lived in the Frozen North before. Where do they all get off to, Michele?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:22 am

Mark, I just had to laugh when I caught up on your blog...shoes, weather, taper madness...covers just about everything.

Don't forget to share your rain next week. We could use some on this side of the mountain. The last storm pretty much slid right by without even settling the dust. I will have to admit that the temps are kind of nice. By this time of year we usually have frosty nights and are changing irrigation pipe with ice on it in the mornings. Next week is our last week of irrigation and it looks like we may make it without any freezing temps!

Enjoy your rain...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:33 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Hey, no SoCal bashing!  

I am with ya Mike. Why do you think that the Hawaiians are so happy?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:36 pm

nkrichards wrote:Mark, I just had to laugh when I caught up on your blog...shoes, weather, taper madness...covers just about everything.

Don't forget to share your rain next week.  We could use some on this side of the mountain.  The last storm pretty much slid right by without even settling the dust.  I will have to admit that the temps are kind of nice.  By this time of year we usually have frosty nights and are changing irrigation pipe with ice on it in the mornings.  Next week is our last week of irrigation and it looks like we may make it without any freezing temps!

Enjoy your rain...

Looking forward to it, and hoping that you get a good dose of it, as well. I think you'll dodge frosty irrigation pipes this year, so that's a nice bit. As far as irrigation goes, I was able to turn my sprinklers off a few weeks ago, thanks to a few well-timed rain systems. Nice to spare that expense.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next