365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

+4
nkrichards
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
8 posters

Page 34 of 41 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 37 ... 41  Next

Go down

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 34 Empty Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce Wed May 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks, y'all.

I think the blister issue on the ball of both feet occurred during the walking part of BB because it's a rare event for me to grow a blister during running.  Plus, the shear forces are different for walking as there's a bit more forward-rearward shearing occurring in a walk.  The Peregrines have been a really nice fitting shoe, even though they were bought 4 years ago.  I love the grip the soles have on a dirt surface.  I might have to find another minimalist shoe that has similar grip because the current version of Peregrines do not show the grip the 4's have.

I did not grow a blister during the race on my toes because #3, 4, and 5 were taped on each foot.  The blisters on both pinky toes occurred after the race, after removing the tape.  I guess my feet swelling coupled with being in other shoes caused the blisters...post-traumatic running disorder. Suspect 

As far as the run/walk strategy, I don't know if it would work for the entire race.  For my slower self, it would probably have to be a walk/run.  For BB, my strategy was to run as far as I could, then walk the rest of the way.  Karen's strategy was 2 minute run/1 minute walk.  She conceded that after the first loop, it would swap to a 1:2, then ultimately walk the rest of the way.  However, I'm not opposed to trying it and working up to a 12 hour training run/walk, which is 60-75% of my effort on race day.

Aside from the bottoms of my feet (not including the blisters), I really didn't have much problem with post-race pain, even walking the next morning.  Just the usual stiffness.

But there are different shear forces happening in a run versus a walk and I just thought that if I was consistent with the walking part, since I figured I would be walking more than running, then the training could get the feet trained and toughened for the 100K.  The taping would be an insurance policy.  Re-taping after the first and second loops would give the tape a renewal of the insurance policy. 

One thing the book mentions about taping is that if you tape your feet and there's no difference in feel between bare toes and taped toes, then you're golden.  My right pinky toe needed to be re-wrapped the morning of the race, so I was 5 for 6 on wrapping.  I did the wrapping Friday night and wore socks to bed, as recommended by the book.

KNOWING that I would be re-taping after each lap, I would eat something about 10 minutes before re-taping to give me clarity.  I would do this because I know during the last lap of BB, I didn't have enough clarity to make proper decisions about hydration and electrolytes.  Furthermore, the last lap would pretty much be done in the dark.  I'll have a headlamp.

Mark, I wear some UA socks bought for the road.  I have read where some ultra runners will wear a thin pair of Injinji socks under a regular pair of socks.  Both pairs would 'filter' out some of the fine dirt.  The Injinji's individual toe design also creates less of an environment for blisters to happen versus normal socks.  I'll look into how Injinji sizes their socks because if the upward range of a pair of socks is, for example size 9-12 and I'm a 12, I won't buy the socks because over time, the socks shrink and it's not good for a pair to slide down and under my heel, when I'm running. No 

Nancy, I will look into an ultra running podiatrist.  Hopefully, the doc will have some insight for the back of the pack crowd as these docs are not as skinny as I am not.  I might even ask my former PT from 3 years ago about it.

This 100K stuff is SO different than a 50K because it's more than just twice the distance, plus I'll be dovetailing the January marathon along with it.  Staying healthy has to fit in there somewhere.

I also have to plan well enough that my crew won't get stupid on me, as the race wears on.  I found that out at the 50K.  But that's where planning comes to play a major role.

Don't let my comments shun y'all from commenting further or telling me where I'm screwing up!  Thanks much.
Money
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 11, 2017 9:40 am

I don't have any additional insight as far as your shoe/sock/foot issues go.  No experience to draw on here.

I will say that based on my experience with marathons 50K sounds crazy and 100K sounds ridiculously long!

Good for you for setting such lofty goals...just don't expect me to join you any time.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu May 11, 2017 11:37 am

Blisters are a weird thing though as I never get them while training, but ended up with one under my right "ring finger" toe after Boston.  Who knows!  However, the advice you received seems very sound.  As for 100K, I can bike that far - but that is about it.  When is this run by the way?  Do you need crew?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 12, 2017 8:35 pm

nkrichards wrote:I don't have any additional insight as far as your shoe/sock/foot issues go.  No experience to draw on here.

I will say that based on my experience with marathons 50K sounds crazy and 100K sounds ridiculously long!

Good for you for setting such lofty goals...just don't expect me to join you any time.
Re: 'ridiculously long'  With 9 miles to go at BB, I told Karen that the 100K aspiration seemed like the thing not to do.  Ah, how mind's change after two days of sleep.
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Blisters are a weird thing though as I never get them while training, but ended up with one under my right "ring finger" toe after Boston.  Who knows!  However, the advice you received seems very sound.  As for 100K, I can bike that far - but that is about it.  When is this run by the way?  Do you need crew?
I'll just have to get out there and test.  I guess hiking boots would be too bulky and heavy to use for walking.

The race is on Saturday, September 30 at 8 a.m. to October 1 at 2 p.m.  A sub-18 hour finish should get me 1st in Masters AG (50+).  Wouldn't that be a hoot! Laughing

Michele, I wouldn't ask you to crew me because I was raised to not impose on people.  I can't imagine you wasting 2 days, not including flight time, to crew me.  Thanks for asking, though.

So, I plan on crewing myself.  The 50K taught me that I'll have to plan ahead of each completed loop in order to complete the next loop.  I don't plan on any drop bags, because I haven't seen a need for it and I don't want to have to wait for the bag, at the end of the race.  All of this is subject to some enlightenment.

-30-

This week, I did no running or walking, as I had family things to do.  The same will happen for the week of Memorial Day.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon May 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Well, Miche1e's idea of a run/walk strategy out of the gate caused me to ponder it as a training strategy.  While I'm not on board with her thoughts of actually being able to run after the halfway point, it is clear that I need to train walking.  I can't just train for running as far as I can and never practice walking.  Those specialty walking muscles need the work and the mitochondria to build up those muscles.

So this morning, I started training for the 100K by running and walking the same distance.  Running 3 miles, then turning around and walking the 3 miles home.  I budget the running at 15 minute miles and the walking at 20.  This gives me the total estimated time so I can figure out when to wake up.  Running cadence is 162 and walking cadence is 116.

Not running in 10 days did make the 3 miles a little more arduous than running 4 miles two weeks ago, but I had the knowledge that I was only going 3 miles, then walking.  Mind games.  I carried no water with me and didn't seem to miss it.

The running piece was in the high 13's and the walking piece was in the low 17's.  It was 64 degrees with a dewpoint of 62.  When I finished, it was 61 degrees.  The execution seemed to go well, although I was kinda wobbly during the walking piece.  I feel comfortable that walking straight and true will become better as the stabilizing walking muscles become stronger.

I would be really pleased if I can start taper after a 20 run/20 walk workout that would take 12 hours to complete.  Do I think this run/walk will work?  Beats the shit out of me, but I'll be in a good position to do a 100K.

I've also started really tackling my caloric intake to what would be considered a good LC/HF caloric intake, but running a caloric deficit.  Being lighter will help the effort.

Please leave suggestions in the Suggestion Box.  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue May 16, 2017 7:47 am

Another thing to try is to run/walk/run - so sort of a run 1 mile, walk 1 mile, run 1 mile, etc.  This will give those other muscles rest and use for the distance.  Usually runners employ this as they would walk up hills, but I'm guessing there are no hills in this race.  I also think with the strategy above, you will actually increase your overall "speed" - all is relative you know.

I volunteered to crew as I really didn't think you wanted to be out there alone.  Sounds like it is a loop course, but not sure - anyway, the offer is still there if you change your mind as that is a week after my HIM.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 16, 2017 10:08 am

Well, I'll think about your offer, Miche1e.  Thank you, kindly.

I'll think about the r1/w1/r1 idea, too.  What concerns me about mixing running and walking in a race is that the bottom of my feet become so tired and sore, plus the legs get so tired trying to run. 

It's why I would like to run for as long as I can because I can bank SO much time that would allow me to finish sooner, rather than trying to muster up the gumption to run when dog tired.  I think of running then walking an ultra as a two stage rocket where the first stage is the best stage for getting you up and out of gravity's reach, then is discarded and the 2nd stage is the power that gets you to the finish line by steady, practiced walking.

Maybe it's a mental roadblock (well, yes, it's a mental roadblock).

As you guessed, it is a multi-loop course.  In fact, as seen below, it's a multiple loop course done multiple times.  The 100K piece is actually a 105K course.  Why they didn't just do the 50K course twice, I don't know.  Maybe variety.  The topography is rolling and there's supposed to be a creek crossing to cross, however I don't know if the runner crosses once per loop or crosses over once, then back, per loop.

I plan on going up there maybe next week to scope it out and see how much I need to incorporate a rolling terrain into the training.  Also to check out the creek crossing.  Sometimes it has water in it.  We do have some spots of rolling terrain in Houston, mostly from street level down the banks of the bayou and back.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 34 ?format=750w
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 17, 2017 10:35 am

It was 74 degrees, this morning, with a constant 5-10 mph south wind.  The wind 'chill' made it feel like in the 60's.

Being early in this training cycle (this is week 1 of I don't know how many), I have the latitude to dip my toe in various ideas of how to prep for 65 miles of 'so much fun.'  Monday, I did 3 miles of running followed by 3 miles of walking for a total of 6 all-purpose miles.

Miche1e suggested run/walk/repeat.  Today, I did that.  I alternated each for a total of 8 miles, except I did walk/run/walk.  Sorry, 1L, I had to put my own, uh, spin on it. Wink Rolling Eyes  I just figured to warm up the legs with a walk might help the body ease into it.

All in all, the run and the walk did very, very well.  The 4-1 mile runs stayed between 12:59 and 13:59.  The 4-1 mile walks were all in the 16's, I think.  Monday's were about a minute per mile EACH slower.

Transitioning from walking to running to walking wasn't too difficult at all because I had the gnome chirping its electronic fanny off.  I bumped the walking cadence to 117 from 116 and the running cadence was also increased 1 to 163.  Changing the gnome settings wasn't too bad, but during a 100K race, the altered mental state I will be in may require me to wear 2 metronomes, rather than hoping to change the settings, accurately.  At 6-1/2 miles, the body was wobbly again causing me to concentrate on foot placement.  Working the core will assist in lowering the wobble.

After finishing, I noticed my left pinky toe and left ball of the foot below the 3rd toe were a little sensitive.  Something to keep an eye on.  The left heel isn't just thrilled with this idea and I'm sure it'll be stiff in the morning.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 19, 2017 5:33 pm

It was 76 degrees, this morning, with a decent wind, but less than 10 mph.  Being Friday, I wanted to run/walk a bit farther, but thought if I could repeat the 4/4 I did on Wednesday, that would be fine, too.

Regrettably, I wasn't able to execute the run part.  For some reason, the feet didn't want to go faster than walking.  Oh, well.  But I did a fair bit of walking to take up the time.  So it ended up running about 3/4ths of a mile and walked 6-1/4 miles.  My garmin wasn't charged up, so I don't have any splits.  I bumped the cadence from 116 to 117 on the return home section.

-30-
Let me try to explain shortly an issue with the 'lipstick' style of USB portable chargers.  Lipstick chargers are, well, shaped like a bigger lipstick.  I have one and charged the Garmin last night and left it attached overnight.

While most portable chargers charge up to when the device is fully charged, this lipstick charger charged the Garmin fine.  But the charger evidently had a lower remaining amount of charge than the Garmin, and it sucked all of the charge out of the Garmin.  It was completely dead, this morning.

I was charging my iPhone with the lipstick charger, when it would charge, then stop charging.  After what happened to the Garmin, I figured out the lipstick was trying to suck the charge out of the iphone and the iphone wouldn't have any of that and stopped being charged.

So while the iPhone won't give back any charge, the Garmin will. I'll have to charge the lipstick straight from the wall plug.

Thanks for your time.  Have a good weekend.  I wonder if Nancy will forget how to get home. affraid
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun May 21, 2017 4:05 pm

So much experimentation! I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

For what it's worth, I have not found that Injinji socks shrink over time -- even when you goof and accidentally throw them in the dryer. (You're supposed to hang dry them.) Also, if you go for the mini-crew variety, it helps keep junk out of your sock and helps keep the sock from sliding down. Your toes may thank you.

You may want to experiment with an even shorter duration of run/walk than the mile:mile ratio you're trying right now. As in, for example, run 10 minutes, walk 2 minutes. And when you walk, slow down more than you are. A 17-minute walking pace isn't going to give your body much opportunity to recover. Go for a 20/mi pace, maybe, and see how that works. The goal is to squeeze in as many of those running miles out of your body as you can get over the distance. A deeper (if shorter) walking break might help do that.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun May 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Mark B wrote:So much experimentation! I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

For what it's worth, I have not found that Injinji socks shrink over time -- even when you goof and accidentally throw them in the dryer. (You're supposed to hang dry them.) Also, if you go for the mini-crew variety, it helps keep junk out of your sock and helps keep the sock from sliding down. Your toes may thank you.

You may want to experiment with an even shorter duration of run/walk than the mile:mile ratio you're trying right now. As in, for example, run 10 minutes, walk 2 minutes. And when you walk, slow down more than you are. A 17-minute walking pace isn't going to give your body much opportunity to recover. Go for a 20/mi pace, maybe, and see how that works. The goal is to squeeze in as many of those running miles out of your body as you can get over the distance. A deeper (if shorter) walking break might help do that.
You're not too late to   As far as socks, I wear the 1/4 cut, which also may be the the mini-crew, for just the reasons you stated.  I've tried the no-show flavor of socks and didn't like them.

As far as 17 or 20 minutes, I think as the race goes on, I'll probably be slowing to a 20 minute pace before ceasing to run altogether.

-30-

With as much as my feet hurt after the 50K (mostly due to blisters), I was thinking that the terrain and the feet are the two most important factors in the race.  I could be wrong, but the terrain has the effect on the whole body and the bottom of the feet are first contact with the ground.  So helping the feet helps the body and race effort.

Just a thought.

Thanks, Mark.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon May 22, 2017 10:53 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:So much experimentation! I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

You're not too late to   As far as socks, I wear the 1/4 cut, which also may be the the mini-crew, for just the reasons you stated.  I've tried the no-show flavor of socks and didn't like them.

As far as 17 or 20 minutes, I think as the race goes on, I'll probably be slowing to a 20 minute pace before ceasing to run altogether.

-30-

With as much as my feet hurt after the 50K (mostly due to blisters), I was thinking that the terrain and the feet are the two most important factors in the race.  I could be wrong, but the terrain has the effect on the whole body and the bottom of the feet are first contact with the ground.  So helping the feet helps the body and race effort.

Just a thought.

Thanks, Mark.

A good thought, and very true. But also remember that the whole body can also affect the feet. Having your electrolytes out of whack can cause swelling, which leads to blisters, as well. Something else to think about.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon May 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

-30-

Just a thought.

Thanks, Mark.

A good thought, and very true. But also remember that the whole body can also affect the feet. Having your electrolytes out of whack can cause swelling, which leads to blisters, as well. Something else to think about.
Yes, sir.  I'm going to figure out the electrolytes thing.  Thanks for the reminder.

Speaking of swelling, when I ran/walked, this morning, I noticed during walking mile 6 that my hands had swollen.  This is a symptom of hypoatremia (more water than electrolytes), but I don't believe that would be the problem in this instance.  My thought was maybe the swinging of my arms might have something to do with it.  I meant to check while doing the next running mile, but forgot.  Also, I wasn't drinking much water, yesterday.  But I'll keep tabs on it.

-30-

This morning, I decided to try the 5w/5r or 10 miles again from Friday.  It didn't seem to reconcile that I could walk 6-1/4 miles, but not run 1.

It was 70 degrees with the same dewpoint.  Weather forecast has 60% chance of rain.  I checked the radar and waited 5 minutes for a shower to pass before starting.  Radar looked clear for the direction of rain cells avoiding my running route, but the area was primed for more rain.

Like last Wednesday, I started out walking at 117 cadence for the first mile.  The first run mile came along and about a half mile into it, I started feeling slow again.  This time, I decided to run through it.  The world did not end and the road didn't disappear.  The only thing I can figure is since I'm not running more than a mile at a time, my body has thought I can't run anything past a mile.  I guess I had to put blinders on and keep going.

10 miles total, 5 walk/5 run, 2:32:02, 15:12 avg pace, 134 avg cadence, 0.80 avg stride length.
1.  16:44, 113 spm, 85 sl
2.  13:37, 163 spm, 73 sl
3.  16:44, 115 spm, 84 sl
4.  13:27, 163 spm, 74 sl
5.  16:49, 112 spm, 86 sl
6.  13:19, 162 spm, 74 sl
7.  17:12, 112 spm, 84 sl
8.  13:33, 161 spm, 74 sl
9.  17:09, 110 spm, 86 sl
10. 13:26, 162 spm, 74 sl

Boy, I was tickled this run was completed!  I remember runs earlier in the year where the 10 mile pace was slower than today's r/w pace.  I'm not quite sure why my walk cadence is so much off the 117 mark, but will monitor.

During the last mile and a half, I noticed what I later figured out was lightning to the south, as I was heading west.  But there wasn't any thunder, which meant to me the lightning in the storms was further south rather than nearer, so the rain was further away as well.  

I was expecting the radar from 3:40 a.m. to still be clear when I finished.  I was right....except for the last tenth of a mile.  As I made the final turn home at two-tenths to go, the lightning and the thunder were less than 6 seconds apart (about 6 seconds of gap between lightning and thunder equates to the storm being 1 mile away).  Then the rain started at a tenth to go.  Big fat drops coming hard and fast from behind.  I was drenched before I finished the run.  Time to just enjoy it and get my shoes a good cleaning.

After getting inside, the color of the storms on radar were yellow, with red and magenta being the worst.  Seemed pretty magenta, when I was finishing.

I enjoyed the run, even the rain.  

Mark, I'm needing a little more information on your comment "As in run 10 minutes, walk 2 minutes."  It doesn't seem like I would be getting too much of a break in 2 minutes.  Could you try another example? scratch
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am

One of the lingering niggles has been the post-run tightness in my left heel on the bottom, where my heel hits the ground.  Most likely a bruised and/or tight PF.  It doesn't hurt during the run, but if I sit for an hour or so and stand up, it'll take a few very short strides to loosen it up.

After last Friday's 6-1/4 mile walk, I had no tightness.  After yesterday's 5w/5r, I had tightness.  Just wanted to document this difference.

Separately, so I can avert a situation where my body thinks it's only going to be running a mile at a time, I think I'll dedicate a day for just running to build up some endurance at running.  After all, after the 100K, I'll have a marathon in 15 weeks (effectively 12 weeks) and I'm not fast enough to do r/w as a marathon race pace.

Soon, I'll have to escape the darkness and do r/w's in the daylight.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue May 23, 2017 8:13 pm

ounce wrote:Mark, I'm needing a little more information on your comment "As in run 10 minutes, walk 2 minutes."  It doesn't seem like I would be getting too much of a break in 2 minutes.  Could you try another example? scratch

Sounds like a good run! And the 5/5 seems to be working for you. I'd keep that up and see how it goes.

I offered up the 10:2 ratio because in low HR training, I've found that a short walk gives my body enough time to recover after my HR creeps up too far. The HR drops back well below my target, and I start up again feeling fresh, relaxed and ready to go again. Whether that'd work for an extended effort, I'm not sure. But it might be worth trying as an experiment. What a Face

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed May 24, 2017 8:31 pm

Busy day, today.  Our cool front came through after 9 p.m., but on the way, it sparked some storms 60 miles west of Houston that the Nat'l Weather Service declared a rare 'microburst.'  The microburst was a rapid and intense 100 mph wind downdraft that caused a lot of damage.  Going back in time, you may remember a Delta Airlines jet that crashed in 1985 at DFW airport because of a microburst.  Here's a Smithsonian explanation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDfodeURad0

It was 57 degrees this morning, a rarity in Houston in late May.  I was going to do another 5w/5r run.  Running cadence at 163 and walking cadence at 118.  It went well, overall, but some of the individual miles were not so great.  A couple were requiring more effort than other running miles.  The overall pace was faster, but I attribute it to the better weather than my getting better.

I increased the walking cadence again to see if I the actual steps can be closer to the cadence set on the gnome.

10 miles, 2:31:29, 15:09 avg pace, 137 avg cadence, 0.78 m avg stride length
1.  16:39, 114 spm, 85 sl
2.  13:18, 163 spm, 74 sl
3.  16:38, 121 spm, 80 sl
4.  13:27, 163 spm, 73 sl
5.  16:52, 117 spm, 82 sl
6.  13:18, 162 spm, 75 sl
7.  17:14, 118 spm, 79 sl
8.  13:42, 162 spm, 72 sl
9.  17:21, 115 spm, 81 sl
10. 12:59, 163 spm, 76 sl

Mile 2 and mile 8, both running, were challenging.  Mile 2 must've thought, 'Why are we doing this so soon?!"  And mile 8 thought, "Can we have walking mile 9 go before me, please?"

I worked at mile 10.  I wanted to try to run faster in spurts and it seemed to work.  The walking at an increased cadence seemed to work in miles 1, 3, and 5, but it seemed that I was getting a slower and tired for 7 and 9.  My feet never seemed to get agitated for any of the walk/run.

Mark, my Garmin wouldn't last the whole 105K race.  So, it may come down to changing from a mile/mile execution to a minute/minute execution.  The watch will last much longer than even a 100 mile race, when just telling time.

Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 25, 2017 3:06 pm

I ran out of time on the last post to inform y'all of my field trip yesterday, after the run.  I drove up to Cat Spring to the 7IL ranch and walked one of trails of the 105K to get the lay of the land.  It was a very nice day, considering it was late May.  This part of Texas was in the storm troubles, Tuesday evening, but the 7IL did not show any damage even though their neighbors had many trees twisted and separated from the trunk.

The ranch is a 1,150 acre cattle ranch that has about 8 trails for horse riders and for humans.  The terrain gently rolls.  The trails are horse trails with a couple of jeep trails mixed in.  The feral hogs have also done their part to root up areas, even on the trail I was on, to boot.  There are enough rolling areas to require me to incorporate roll training, treadmill hills, leg weights, etc., into my training.  I crossed 4 creeks on this one trail I was walking.  Only one might cover one's shoe, while the others had bypasses to keep the tootsies dry.  I had to traverse 3 decent sized trees that were on the trails.

About 10% (guess, but seemed like more) of the trail was a sandy loam that was tougher to get through than the rest of the trail's just normal, pasture-like, dirt trail.  For the most part, the trail was well marked with arrows.  I saw two deer, 3 feral hogs, and one 3' snake.  Gaiters will be necessary for the sandy loam part, not rocks.  I don't remember seeing any rocks on the trail.  This trail was one of 3 trails for the 105K that I will have to do 3 times each.

I spent about 3-1/2 clock hours doing about 6.5 miles.  I left my water in the car and only started to miss it with a half mile to go.  I wore my Kinvara 4 pair that I wore at the BB50.  I found 4 pairs of the Kinvara's online.

So yesterday, I ran 5 miles and walked 11.5 miles.  No pain, but just a little soreness on the bottom of the feet, afterwards.  No blisters.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu May 25, 2017 10:32 pm

Hey...you're getting some mileage in!  Nice mix of running and walking.  I don't have much experience with the run/walk plan but I did complete the Portland Marathon with my daughter, Katie in 2012 using a run/walk plan.  She set her GPS to beep when she wanted to switch.  She did it based on time not distance and changed frequently but I don't remember exactly how long she went before switching.  I do remember that she finished faster than her goal time with a huge smile on her face!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 26, 2017 3:47 pm

nkrichards wrote:Hey...you're getting some mileage in!  Nice mix of running and walking.  I don't have much experience with the run/walk plan but I did complete the Portland Marathon with my daughter, Katie in 2012 using a run/walk plan.  She set her GPS to beep when she wanted to switch.  She did it based on time not distance and changed frequently but I don't remember exactly how long she went before switching.  I do remember that she finished faster than her goal time with a huge smile on her face!
Hey, Nancy!  Thanks for making the rounds.

I don't have much experience with r/w, either.  It was 1L that suggested the 1:1 r/w, instead of me starting at 4 run/4 walk.  I may end up doing a time based, instead of mileage, because my watch doesn't record much past 6 or 7 hours.  But until I think I'm doing really good, I'll stay with mileage.  After all, I'm running in the 13's and walking in the 17's or average of 15 minutes.  This 15 minutes would be the easiest to maintain on a watch.

-30-

I'll be doing family responsibilities, next week, so I won't be able to run.  Therefore, this morning I thought to go a little farther because I'll be able to heal, if necessary.  Distance was going to either be 14 total or 16 total miles.  Because the temperature started at 72 degrees, I chose 14 total.  I bumped the walking cadence to 120 from 118 and the running cadence is unchanged at 163.

It really does a lot of good to start out walking, instead of running.  Everything is warmed up.  The first running mile tends to be easier to get in the running groove than if I started running from the start.  It hasn't become easy yet, but it's better.  

14 miles, 7 walk/7 run, 3:34:58, 15:21 avg pace, 135 avg cadence, 0.79 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 15:40, 2nd half pace 15:02.
1.  16:47, 107 spm, 89 sl
2.  14:07, 155 spm, 73 sl (I walked a tenth of this running mile.)
3.  16:48, 113 spm, 85 sl
4.  14:28, 163 spm, 68 sl
5.  17:02, 117 spm, 80 sl
6.  13:33, 161 spm, 74 sl
7.  17:19, 117 spm, 79 sl
8.  13:43, 162 spm, 72 sl
9.  16:55, 114 spm, 84 sl
10. 13:37, 162 spm, 73 sl
11. 17:09, 117 spm, 80 sl
12. 13:05, 162 spm, 76 sl
13. 17:30, 109 spm, 84 sl
14. 12:50, 162 spm, 77 sl

This is the second run in a row where my running split for the last mile was sub-13.  I don't know why, but at some point late in runs, I get faster.  I'm taking what I'm given and if I am showing during a run mile a low 13 pace, then I'm going to see if I can run below 13, then hold it for as long as I can.  I'm open to suggestions.

I am also noticing that walking 1 mile really sets a good table for the upcoming running mile.  I'm relaxed, I don't feel hurried, and it's easy to jump to running.

On the short side, I managed to acquire two chafe spots at the top of the back of my legs.  I'll have to take corrective action on this.  Also during the last two walking miles, my feet were hurting some.  Mostly the right one and in the metatarsal area and once on the bottom and rearward part of the right foot in the ball of the foot area.  Finally this afternoon, my left knee had some swelling at the 8 o'clock spot if you're looking at the knee from my eyes.

Further any pain from walking a mile went away, when I started running.

So, this week went very well and this run went well, too.  Y'all have a good weekend!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Aside from the chafing, it sounds like this new experiment is working well for you. Starting out walking is actually a pretty good idea, since it lets you warm up a bit before diving into the running part.

Also, I wouldn't sweat the Garmin. Switching from a distance to a time-based ratio makes a lot of sense, especially as you extend the distance. (In fact, I thought you'd been doing all your r/w efforts like that.)

No rocks? Hey, you know, you might be able to avoid the shoe problems altogether if you just go barefoot. geek

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri May 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks, sir.  Regarding the chafing, this is the first time I've chafed in a while, usually on longer distances.  But the new gig of walking/running probably changed the rubbing dynamic.

I'm actually very pleasantly surprised that I didn't bleed a lot of time at the end.

Yeah, no rocks...so far.  I just walked 1 of the 3 loops.  The loop I walked did have tree roots in the very shaded area that was a single lane path.  Shoeless Oz!  Nah. No  I'm very pleased I can still buy the Kinvara 4's.  That's all the trail shoe I'll need.  Road shoes could work, too.

One thing that created an 'ahah!' moment was that each time I do a loop, I'll pass the Start line.  So, I'll pass the start line 9 times.  Each loop is between 6.3 miles to 7.6 miles long.  Aid Stations will be placed 4-5 miles apart.  Seems like I won't need to drop bags anywhere.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat May 27, 2017 1:42 pm

ounce wrote:Thanks, sir.  Regarding the chafing, this is the first time I've chafed in a while, usually on longer distances.  But the new gig of walking/running probably changed the rubbing dynamic.

I'm actually very pleasantly surprised that I didn't bleed a lot of time at the end.

Yeah, no rocks...so far.  I just walked 1 of the 3 loops.  The loop I walked did have tree roots in the very shaded area that was a single lane path.  Shoeless Oz!  Nah. No  I'm very pleased I can still buy the Kinvara 4's.  That's all the trail shoe I'll need.  Road shoes could work, too.

One thing that created an 'ahah!' moment was that each time I do a loop, I'll pass the Start line.  So, I'll pass the start line 9 times.  Each loop is between 6.3 miles to 7.6 miles long.  Aid Stations will be placed 4-5 miles apart.  Seems like I won't need to drop bags anywhere.

That's a big benefit with a loop course. It poses a challenge, though, when it's a short loop like the one we're doing next month. Fresh chow every mile! What a Face

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat May 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Thanks, sir.  Regarding the chafing, this is the first time I've chafed in a while, usually on longer distances.  But the new gig of walking/running probably changed the rubbing dynamic.

That's a big benefit with a loop course. It poses a challenge, though, when it's a short loop like the one we're doing next month. Fresh chow every mile! What a Face
Well, I know from running and volunteering different races by the same RD that hot chow only occurs after 5 p.m.

-30-

This morning, I woke up to no pain nor niggles, not even a sore left heel.  I was affraid .  Usually, it takes a few strides to loosen up the PF on the left heel, but not this morning.  I can say the w/r method does allow for quicker recovery and even allowing for faster running.  I don't know what it says for stamina, yet, but I'm tickled so far.

This is nice to type.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat May 27, 2017 7:41 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Well, I know from running and volunteering different races by the same RD that hot chow only occurs after 5 p.m.

-30-

This morning, I woke up to no pain nor niggles, not even a sore left heel.  I was affraid .  Usually, it takes a few strides to loosen up the PF on the left heel, but not this morning.  I can say the w/r method does allow for quicker recovery and even allowing for faster running.  I don't know what it says for stamina, yet, but I'm tickled so far.

This is nice to type.

Nice to read, too. cheers cheers cheers

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat May 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

-30-

This is nice to type.

Nice to read, too. cheers cheers cheers

+1 
I think there is a good reason that a lot of people run/walk.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 41 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 37 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum