365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

+4
nkrichards
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
mountandog
8 posters

Page 39 of 41 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Go down

houwx - Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 39 Empty Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  ounce Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks, Mark, but running isn't causing me any foot pain, which is odd to me, but I guess it's indicative of how much pressure is put on the feet for walking on concrete.  It'll be interesting to see how the feet do as I get deeper into training.  I do have an orthotic in my shoes.

Monday, I ran 3 miles wanting to do 6.66 and Friday, I ran 4 miles wanting to run 4.

Next week, I'll be running 4 miles at least 3x until 4 miles is easier, 80 degree weather or not.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

houwx - Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 39 Empty Re: Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com

Post  Mark B Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:58 pm

ounce wrote:Thanks, Mark, but running isn't causing me any foot pain, which is odd to me, but I guess it's indicative of how much pressure is put on the feet for walking on concrete.  It'll be interesting to see how the feet do as I get deeper into training.  I do have an orthotic in my shoes.

Monday, I ran 3 miles wanting to do 6.66 and Friday, I ran 4 miles wanting to run 4.

Next week, I'll be running 4 miles at least 3x until 4 miles is easier, 80 degree weather or not.

There's a whole different set of mechanics for running vs walking. Hey, maybe you should take the orthotic *out* and see what happens? (Or not.)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Thanks, Mark, but running isn't causing me any foot pain, which is odd to me, but I guess it's indicative of how much pressure is put on the feet for walking on concrete.  It'll be interesting to see how the feet do as I get deeper into training.  I do have an orthotic in my shoes.

There's a whole different set of mechanics for running vs walking. Hey, maybe you should take the orthotic *out* and see what happens? (Or not.)
Yeah, nope.  Those orthotics are probably supporting the medial side of my ankle to some degree.  Remember, I wear out the medial heel on my left shoe? 

I can confirm that walking causes my left shoe to wear out faster in that area.  When the left shoe is wearing down, the muscles and/or other stuff between my achilles and the left, medial ankle bone will ache a few hours after the activity & sitting.  I'm grateful that I'm getting usable information from the legs.

I have two new pairs of Kinvara 7's ready to put into service.  That should last me to January.  Now, if I can just get some stamina building blocks going, then I'll be relieved.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:43 am

I managed to run 4 miles, this morning.  It was 79 degrees with a dewpoint of 77.  It wasn't easy, but I figure it'll get easier and, frankly, it'll have to.  I stopped with about 3/4ths of a mile to go to catch my breath and to clear away some branches from an 8' high flowering plant, so I can run under it without ducking.

I'm going to try to run again tomorrow, even if it's only 2 miles.

Now I'm going to go back to that last 27 mile walk/run I did, last month, to try to give an idea of what pain the bottom of my feet were relaying to me.  If you have ever walked on a middle school or high school track with this new-to-me track surface (I guess it's pulverized tires) and felt how it feels on fresh feet, then imagine going 20 miles, taking off your shoes and walking the final 7 miles on that surface.  My bones didn't hurt. My muscles didn't hurt.  I won't make you imagine the surface of the track being baked by a 90 degree day because I wasn't feeling that.

I think that's the best description that I can give you.  Hokas could probably fix it, if my left ankle didn't collapse medially.

Y'all have a good day and preparation for next Monday's eclipse.  Did you know we have an emoji for the eclipse?  
pale   Then the reaction as if it was 1017 a.d. affraid
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:35 am

Nice job on the emoji choices for the eclipse!

We're still hoping that the hype is going to be worse than the actual eclipse...kind of like Y2K...but we're preparing for the worst.  We had hoped to be able to give our employees several days off but we've got some new plantings that need to be watered up with short sets (move the irrigation pipes several times during the day instead of our normal morning and evening move).  The seed company is worried if we wait until after the eclipse they won't be strong enough going into the winter.  One employee lives on our side of the highway so should be able to make it to work...the other can walk across the highway and ride in with Jhony.  We'll try and give them Sunday and Monday off and handle the extra moves ourselves.

Keep at the running...it will come.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:38 pm

nkrichards wrote:Nice job on the emoji choices for the eclipse!

We're still hoping that the hype is going to be worse than the actual eclipse...kind of like Y2K...but we're preparing for the worst.  We had hoped to be able to give our employees several days off but we've got some new plantings that need to be watered up with short sets (move the irrigation pipes several times during the day instead of our normal morning and evening move).  The seed company is worried if we wait until after the eclipse they won't be strong enough going into the winter.  One employee lives on our side of the highway so should be able to make it to work...the other can walk across the highway and ride in with Jhony.  We'll try and give them Sunday and Monday off and handle the extra moves ourselves.

I hope the running will come, thanks.

It looks like the next eclipse will cross Texas in 2024, a presidential election year!  Looks like y'all are completely spared, although Miche1e will get the whole enchilada, if she still has a residence in Ohio and most of it in NY.

houwx - Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 39 Total-solar-eclipses-2001-2050
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:12 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Nice job on the emoji choices for the eclipse!

I hope the running will come, thanks.

It looks like the next eclipse will cross Texas in 2024, a presidential election year!  Looks like y'all are completely spared, although Miche1e will get the whole enchilada, if she still has a residence in Ohio and most of it in NY.

houwx - Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 39 Total-solar-eclipses-2001-2050
The difference in paths and width is interesting.  I expected them to be similar for some reason.  Looks like we're safe after this one at least for a good long while. 

I guess the traffic is arriving.  I heard that license plates from several far away states have been spotted in town.  The report is that a trip to Redmond for baler parts took 40 minutes each way...normally a 25 minute trip.  (not us...another farmer in the area)  And it's only Monday...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:18 pm

I still do have a house in Ohio, I'll be in western NY, and my daughter is at my house in Atlanta.  We've been told that we won't experience much here in western NY if anything, but it does pass over North GA - so my daughter has said that the Science teachers are psyched and that they will be at school when it passes over GA.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:13 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I still do have a house in Ohio, I'll be in western NY, and my daughter is at my house in Atlanta.  We've been told that we won't experience much here in western NY if anything, but it does pass over North GA - so my daughter has said that the Science teachers are psyched and that they will be at school when it passes over GA.
But in April, 2024, it'll be a different horse for seeing a full eclipse, ma'am.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 pm

This morning, I ran 2 miles.  It was 79 degrees with a dewpoint of 76.  The legs were very surprised to be running and played along the best they could.  Four miles would've been too long. 

No telling what tomorrow shall bring.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:47 pm

This morning, I went 3 miles at 80 degrees with a dewpoint of 76.  The weather helped to make it a plodding run, with some of the last mile off the 163 cadence I had set.  This gives me 9 miles total for these 3 days.

I plan on running again, tomorrow.  I know that I've been usually running only 3 days in a week, in the recent years. However, with the slow build up of stamina that I am experiencing, I thought to run each day this week to get the body used to having to run with the hope of if I can't build up stamina with 1 long run, then I'll try to build up stamina on frequency, here in the early, low mileage, stage.

That's the scheme, anyway.

The new shoes are doing fine and I hope to start the next pair, next week.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:01 pm

This morning, it was 81 degrees with a dewpoint of 77.  Yup, warmer, but that's just August in Houston.

I ran two miles, this morning, bringing my total for the week to 11 for 4 consecutive days.  I knew 2 was going to be it because the leg muscles were aching some in more than one area.  No pain, but a little sore.

But there was something that occurred at the 1 mile turnaround point.  I stopped to catch my breath, but it turned out that I didn't need to catch my breath.  My legs were very thankful, but the upper body said, "Soooo, why are we stopping?"  I've never had that happen before.

I'm guessing the lungs and heart are adapted, while the result of running, 4 Monday, then 2, 3, and 2 today, was taxing the legs to a higher level of fatigue that doesn't match the heart and lungs.  I'm also guessing that this is a good thing.  What is your opinion, please?

I won't run tomorrow.  No point in tempting fate.  But it gives me pause on how to run next week.  Maybe do this again, next week.

I wonder what the effects of the eclipse will have on running on Monday, if I run 6 hours before it gets to the mid-section of the country? Rolling Eyes 

Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Tomorrow, at the 7IL Ranch in Cat Spring, is the Habanero Hundred race.  7IL is where the race I stopped training for in September.  Presently in that area of Texas (about 100 miles west of Houston), it's 97 degrees with 33% humidity (99 degree heat index or a 63 degree dewpoint) and little wind.  The weather is not promising to be any cooler on race day.

It's a 100M, 100K, 50K, 30K, 20K, 10K and relay.  The RD will reimburse anyone that will run the 100M in less than 24 hours, which would be a course record.  The RD is bringing 10,000 pounds of ice. Only 1 person has ever finished the 100 mile, Julie Koepke.

Here are two interesting points in the pre-race email:
2. Cotton shirts will help to keep moisture against your skin instead of away from it. While most people think cotton is the devil because it chafes, it can help to keep moisture against the skin while you're in the sun. Your sweat will actually help to cool you. As the sun sets maybe toss on a tech shirt and change back to cotton when you start to get hot again.

3. Run within your limits. Most of you are out there heat training all the time like me and realize that hot weather makes your heart rate go up. You need to be smart while its HOT and not be in the red when it doesn't help you. Remember 100m/100k runners, the time to attack the course is from 6:00pm-6:00am when you are out of the sunlight.

This is a photo of the terrain at the race.  There is some shade, but ain't no WS100.

houwx - Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 39 Hh100course3

houwx - Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 39 ?format=750w
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:46 pm

Oh, I did nothing related to running today.

Nancy, on CBS' morning program today, they listed 4 or 5 towns that will have the total eclipse.  Madras was listed FIRST!  Now you'll be getting a taste of what it's like to host a Super Bowl.  Good luck with all of your short term tourists.  Set Augie out front to scare the tourists.

CBS will be breaking in to normal programming at 1 p.m. ET, 10 a.m. PT for the eclipse.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:46 pm

ounce wrote:Oh, I did nothing related to running today.

Nancy, on CBS' morning program today, they listed 4 or 5 towns that will have the total eclipse.  Madras was listed FIRST!  Now you'll be getting a taste of what it's like to host a Super Bowl.  Good luck with all of your short term tourists.  Set Augie out front to scare the tourists.

CBS will be breaking in to normal programming at 1 p.m. ET, 10 a.m. PT for the eclipse.

I've done nothing running related...yet...today either.

Yes, NASA decided that based on past weather data we were the place to see it!  Much easier to host a Super Bowl type event in a city the size of Houston.  We only have a population of 6800 and they are expecting 100,000 people!  That's ridiculous.  There are tents everywhere!!!! (and porta potties).  We stocked up on groceries and don't plan to go back into town.  I did go in yesterday and so far it's just kind of like typical long weekend traffic/crowds.  I expect it to get much worse.  Prineville got hit hard with traffic on Wed & Thurs.  They expect 30,000 people for a Burning Man type event.  Many of them drove through Madras on their way.  It was interesting to say the least.  Marty was working on the field that has a view of the highway...  (Katie lives in Prineville.  It's 30 minutes away.  It's a cowboy town!)  We expect our big rush of viewers on Sat and Sun.

If I see the TV crews I'll wave...

Catching up on your last few posts.  I think running a comfortable number of miles more often is fine...whatever works for you.  Just don't do to much to quickly and you'll make progress.  Think tortoise...

I'm not surprised that your legs are slower to adapt than your heart/lungs.  I've had the same experience and also read that was normally the case.  Just listen to your body.

As far as the Habanero Hundred.  You made the right choice.  That does not sound like fun at all!!!!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:25 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Oh, I did nothing related to running today.

I've done nothing running related...yet...today either.

Yes, NASA decided that based on past weather data we were the place to see it!  Much easier to host a Super Bowl type event in a city the size of Houston.  We only have a population of 6800 and they are expecting 100,000 people!  That's ridiculous.  There are tents everywhere!!!! (and porta potties).  We stocked up on groceries and don't plan to go back into town.  I did go in yesterday and so far it's just kind of like typical long weekend traffic/crowds.  I expect it to get much worse.  Prineville got hit hard with traffic on Wed & Thurs.  They expect 30,000 people for a Burning Man type event.  Many of them drove through Madras on their way.  It was interesting to say the least.  Marty was working on the field that has a view of the highway...  (Katie lives in Prineville.  It's 30 minutes away.  It's a cowboy town!)  We expect our big rush of viewers on Sat and Sun.

If I see the TV crews I'll wave...

Catching up on your last few posts.  I think running a comfortable number of miles more often is fine...whatever works for you.  Just don't do to much to quickly and you'll make progress.  Think tortoise...

I'm not surprised that your legs are slower to adapt than your heart/lungs.  I've had the same experience and also read that was normally the case.  Just listen to your body.

As far as the Habanero Hundred.  You made the right choice.  That does not sound like fun at all!!!!!
Wow, all that people and porta potties sounds like you're holding 'refugees' that escaped a hurricane.  'Refugee' was the term my brother called me, when my power was out for 2 weeks due to the 2008 hurricane and I stayed at his place.

As far as Habanero, my race was in September at the same 1,100 acre ranch, though.  What was odd to me was they have more volunteers than they expected.  They were MAKING spots for volunteers, which is a good situation to be in, but with all that heat they still had more volunteers?

The race doesn't start until noon and the course closes at 6 p.m. on Sunday.

I may volunteer for the September race, just to see how it is there in the afternoon and early evening.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Monday, I went out and ran 4 miles in the morning.  It was 77 degrees with the same dewpoint.  Until the Garmin ran out of juice, I was doing mid-13's for the first two miles and low to mid-14's the last two miles.  It's still not easy to run 4, but I'm still determined to get this training off the ground.

The new shoes worked well and transparent.  These Kinvara 7's are Dreamsicle orange.

In the morning, I'll run 4 again.  I might run Friday to make up for not running, today.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:50 pm

This morning, I ran 4 miles and somewhat easier.  A couple of mid-13's and even a 12:59.  The legs are getting used to the distance...finally.  I might be able to run on Saturday, which is a rare thing.  Depends on the rain.

Speaking of rain, there's a hurricane in the Gulf that will make landfall near Corpus Christi (320 miles SW of Houston) during the overnight hours of Friday.  Harvey is not a really bad hurricane from a wind standpoint (125 mph, Category 3 out of 5), but this could very well be a historic rainmaker in a triangle from Houston to San Antonio to Corpus Christi.

The problem is that Harvey has no steering winds to make it go anywhere, after making landfall.  It's expected to sit over Victoria, Texas (about 120 miles SW of Houston) from Saturday afternoon until Monday afternoon, losing it's wind speed from 125 mph to 40 mph.  Then, it's suppose to eject back into the Gulf and head for Galveston on TUESDAY, raining the whole time.  It might be in Louisiana by Wednesday or Thursday.

Over 7 days, the triangle (Hou-SA-CC) is estimated to have between 25"-40" of rain.  Hence the historic nature.  The estimates are so unique that legends like the below WPC chart had to add a new color of pink because they've never had to go past 20" before.

At least, it's not coming all at once.  Houston will start the rain tomorrow evening with winds of 30+ (tropical storm force).  Houston isn't evacuating, but Victoria has (64K residents).  I can drown (no pun intended) y'all in data or links, if you want.  So, when you see it on the news, remember, you heard it here, first. Shocked

I'm ready for it and I hope the power stays on.  Toodles!

houwx - Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 39 P168i
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:18 am

affraid

Be safe! Keep your water wings nearby!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:47 pm

Hmm, hope you're a good swimmer.  Try to stay dry.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:45 pm

Mark B wrote:affraid

Be safe! Keep your water wings nearby!
I'm thinking of finding an oar, for when a canoe comes by.
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Hmm, hope you're a good swimmer.  Try to stay dry.
Yeah, but it's been a while.  Houston won't get Harvey until Tuesday or Wednesday.

On the other hand, San Antonio is going to get absolutely nailed, tonight and tomorrow.  At this writing, SA is at the edge of the rain bands, which is about 100 miles from the eye.  (Please note the outer rain bands stretches 195 miles from SA to Houston--as a car drives).  Harvey is to mosey up halfway to SA and sit there until Sunday afternoon, then backtrack to the Gulf by Tuesday...subject to change.  That's why the rain estimates are so large.

Probably a historic event.

houwx - Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 39 Southplains_loop

houwx - Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 39 CRP_loop
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:26 pm

This explains what I was trying to type in the last post.

houwx - Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 39 21106875_1491155877643455_170512564955011036_n
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:27 am

Holy cow. I'd like to hope that area's stormwater system will help, but I doubt there is a system that could handle that much rain in such a short period. At least you don't have large hills to cause mudslides...

Keep us apprised.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:15 pm

Harvey made landfall last night in Rockport as a Category 4 hurricane, the first category 4 to hit the US mainland since 1961 as Hurricane Carla.  Carla made landfall about 40 miles up the coast from where Harvey made landfall.  Carla is one of my earliest memories, as we were living in Beaumont, which is 90 miles east of Houston.  I was 4.

I read where Rockport High School was destroyed.  1 death has been reported in Rockport due to a fire.

Around here, lots of tornadoes were being reported last night and again today.  Rain amounts vary from 2"-8" in southeast Texas in the past 18 hours.  The 7IL Ranch got around 8 inches.

Lots of rain still to come.  SE Texas is on the 'dirty' side of the Tropical Storm meaning the inflow of moisture from the Gulf is on the east side of the eye because Harvey rotates counter-clockwise because it's a Low pressure system.  Training, where the rain band after rain band rains on one spot, is going to be an issue.  Some bayous are high and some are not.

The National Weather Service issued a rare 12 hour Tornado Watch until 2 a.m. Sunday, instead of the 3 or 4 hours, which dramatizes how much potential still exists. 

So forecasting the track of Harvey, after landfall, has changed with every update. Right now, it's looking better than 4:00 yesterday.  I'll post the track on the next post, but it'll change again.  Since the storm has made landfall, meteorologists on the weather forum I follow say there's no forecasting going on, but 'nowcasting.'

If you're curious about now, the TV stations have done well on Facebook with updating.  KPRC2, ABC13 Houston, KHOU 11 Houston are their FB names.

We're in good shape, unless you're near one of those nearly full bayous.  I am not.  Thanks, y'all.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:50 pm

This was issued at 3:44 pm CT by the NWS Storm Prediction Center in Norman, OK.  They are situated in Tornado Alley.  SE Texas has had tons of Tornado Warnings since 6 pm yesterday.

houwx - Voice Cat LLC & voice-cat.com - Page 39 File
So the below is from the 4 pm CT NWS National Hurricane Center's Harvey Discussion.  These are the coordinates (Latitude/Longitude) for the next 5 days.

I bolded the coordinates for initial, +12 hours, and +24 hours.  It doesn't move much at all.  So those communities are getting rain, decreasing winds from 65 to 50 to 40 mph over the next 24 hours because there is no river of air in the atmosphere to push Harvey somewhere, like a normal Atlantic storm has.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 26/2100Z 29.1N 97.6W 55 KT 65 MPH...INLAND
12H 27/0600Z 29.1N 97.6W 45 KT 50 MPH...INLAND
24H 27/1800Z 28.9N 97.7W 35 KT 40 MPH...INLAND   
36H 28/0600Z 28.5N 97.3W 30 KT 35 MPH...INLAND
48H 28/1800Z 28.3N 97.1W 30 KT 35 MPH...INLAND
72H 29/1800Z 28.7N 97.0W 30 KT 35 MPH...INLAND
96H 30/1800Z 29.5N 97.0W 30 KT 35 MPH...INLAND
120H 31/1800Z 30.5N 97.0W 30 KT 35 MPH...INLAND
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 41 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum