365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speedwork for Marathoners

+2
Nick Morris
Michele "1L" Keane
6 posters

Go down

Speedwork for Marathoners Empty Speedwork for Marathoners

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:11 am

Good article from Greg McMillan in Running Times. In case you did not see it, here is the link.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=20190

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Speedwork for Marathoners Empty Re: Speedwork for Marathoners

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:23 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Good article from Greg McMillan in Running Times. In case you did not see it, here is the link.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=20190

Thanks for the article link Michele. I particularly like the line..."Fast repeats challenge you to turn your legs over and
help avoid the "marathoner shuffle.""
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 am

Exactly, Nick - and I truly believe that statement. Since going back to speed work, I can see and feel the difference in my everyday runs as well.

Last edited by Michele "1L" Keane on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:33 am

Yeah I remember when that article came out. I also remember telling myself I was going to do more interval speed workouts also. I have to agree that I like the statement that Nick posted about turnover and getting away from the "marathon shuffle".

I think that there will come a day were I may add these type of workouts into my marathon training but for me I just don't see the benefit of running 200m or 400m for the marathon. For me I would rather spend my time doing LT workouts were I can still get the benefit of leg turnover and at the same time still working my aerobic system and improving my ability to process lactic acid hence the benefit of being able to hold a certain pace for a longer time. I also find doing more fartlek workouts with pick-ups of 200m, 400m, 800m and 1600m in a longer run to be more of benefit for me to be ready for the marathon.

I know there are going to be people out there that will argue that this type of workout for the marathon is good. And I'm not disagreeing I think there are benefits in this type of workouts but for me and were I feel I am at in my training I rather spend my time training a different way. Again that old saying that I love everyone is different and it's all about finding what works best for one to have the confidence that they can hit their goals in racing and feel confident that they are improving.

Good article I did like it and see where it can have it's place in marathon training.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:12 pm

cool, bookmarked

I'm gonna need all the help I can get to beat John Edwards.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:53 pm

I've bookmarked this as well. I imagine you could transition from stride(r)s in your base weeks to this structured workouts later on, too.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:41 pm

I like the part about breaking the monotony of training. Marathon training can be pretty monotonous, which is why I'm abandoning Pfitz's plans for a return to Hal's. I need more variety!
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down