365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

California here we come...

+4
Julie
KBFitz
Mike MacLellan
Tim C
8 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

California here we come... - Page 12 Empty Re: California here we come...

Post  Mark B Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:08 am

nkrichards wrote:Still snowing...it's piling up and they are talking about records.

We did our core this morning.  Went into it with the idea of doing as many reps as felt comfortable but not over doing it.  We did the full 45 minute workout without any ill effects.

I remember why I hate the treadmill and I also remember why they request that you tether yourself to the emergency shutoff...I may have daydreamed a bit and fallen off the back of the treadmill today.  No permanent harm but I have a dozzy of a "floor burn" on my left shin.  It's all a surface injury but boy does it hurt!!  More embarrassed than anything.

Ultreya...

You guys are really getting the brunt of the snow this time. But that's good for the water situation, I suppose. We have nearly three inches here and may get a bit more. It was enough to cause total freeway mayhem in Portland. As in, 30-minute commutes stretching to four hours. Yikes.

Still, better than Eugene. They got up to 0.8 inches of ice. Lots of tree damage. Shocked

No school tomorrow, so Alita and Alec are happy.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:26 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Still snowing...it's piling up and they are talking about records.

We did our core this morning.  Went into it with the idea of doing as many reps as felt comfortable but not over doing it.  We did the full 45 minute workout without any ill effects.

I remember why I hate the treadmill and I also remember why they request that you tether yourself to the emergency shutoff...I may have daydreamed a bit and fallen off the back of the treadmill today.  No permanent harm but I have a dozzy of a "floor burn" on my left shin.  It's all a surface injury but boy does it hurt!!  More embarrassed than anything.

Ultreya...

You guys are really getting the brunt of the snow this time. But that's good for the water situation, I suppose. We have nearly three inches here and may get a bit more. It was enough to cause total freeway mayhem in Portland. As in, 30-minute commutes stretching to four hours. Yikes.

Still, better than Eugene. They got up to 0.8 inches of ice. Lots of tree damage. Shocked

The mayhem sounds like us with a 1/64" of ice.  We have a lot of high fly over connector ramps down here. 

I did see, this morning, the Portland school bus playing bumper cars.  SNOWMAGEDDON!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:51 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Ultreya...

The mayhem sounds like us with a 1/64" of ice.  We have a lot of high fly over connector ramps down here. 

I did see, this morning, the Portland school bus playing bumper cars.  SNOWMAGEDDON!

It was mind-bogglingly bad over there. Everybody went to work, all the kids went to school, even though it was clear the system was heading into town and likely to be worse than expected. Then it started to snow and everybody got on the roads at the same time, just as things started to get a little slippery. Then a lot. Then the gridlock was so bad the sanding trucks and snowplows couldn't get to where they needed to stop more accidents. Add to that lots of people with little experience on snow or ice, and a lack of folks with traction tires or devices, and others who abandoned their cars IN THE TRAFFIC LANES, and it was done. There were kids on school buses at 10 o'clock at night. One of my neighbors works on the other side of Portland, about a 60-minute drive on an average day. His commute yesterday might have hit 10 hours. 

On this side of the river, it wasn't nearly as bad -- unless you were driving to Portland. But we have fewer people, fewer steep hills -- and we use salt on the roads, which helps a lot more than Oregon's non-salt deicer.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:53 am

Does salt still wreak havoc with the metal in the car's quarter panels, like it did in the 70's and prior?  The perforated sheet metal behind the tires?

I would've thought everyone during a true winter season would be experienced or at least familiar with driving in snow, except the new to the area people.  I sit corrected.  We use something called 'chat rock' and the anti-freeze liquid.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:47 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Ultreya...

It was mind-bogglingly bad over there. Everybody went to work, all the kids went to school, even though it was clear the system was heading into town and likely to be worse than expected. Then it started to snow and everybody got on the roads at the same time, just as things started to get a little slippery. Then a lot. Then the gridlock was so bad the sanding trucks and snowplows couldn't get to where they needed to stop more accidents. Add to that lots of people with little experience on snow or ice, and a lack of folks with traction tires or devices, and others who abandoned their cars IN THE TRAFFIC LANES, and it was done. There were kids on school buses at 10 o'clock at night. One of my neighbors works on the other side of Portland, about a 60-minute drive on an average day. His commute yesterday might have hit 10 hours. 

On this side of the river, it wasn't nearly as bad -- unless you were driving to Portland. But we have fewer people, fewer steep hills -- and we use salt on the roads, which helps a lot more than Oregon's non-salt deicer.

ounce wrote:Does salt still wreak havoc with the metal in the car's quarter panels, like it did in the 70's and prior?  The perforated sheet metal behind the tires?

I would've thought everyone during a true winter season would be experienced or at least familiar with driving in snow, except the new to the area people.  I sit corrected.  We use something called 'chat rock' and the anti-freeze liquid.

Yes, Portland was a mess!  Friends and relatives had some interesting stories to tell.  Part of the problem is a lack of experience and preparation by individual drivers.  They get snow/ice but not often enough.  I think part of the problem is the change in regulations concerning studded tires.  I know they are hard on the roads but they are effective...at least they were before they made them softer.  I understand discouraging their use in areas like Portland but over here where we have icy conditions much more frequently it's a safety concern.

I don't like the mess that salt and deicer make on my car but I'll live with that if it makes the roads safer.

We ended up with 18+ inches here.  Schools closed and there were some incidents and trucks that struggled to get where they needed to but nothing unexpected.

It's COLD and getting colder but by Tuesday they are expecting warmer weather and rain...perfect conditions for flooding as the ground is frozen and the rain/melting snow will all run off.

Staying inside and concentrating on core/strength work.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:39 pm

Living without snow is ok in my book.  I had enough of that over the last four winters, but you know it is cold when it is 28F in Atlanta in December.  And it isn't even winter yet.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:58 pm

The below image is a living image for the next day from the Weather Prediction Center.  For Dec 17, lots going on.  With all the snow on the ground in the Northern Plains, this keeps the Arctic air cold as it travels south.

Just think of all the snow you're missing up there, Miche1e!!!!

California here we come... - Page 12 Noaad2
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:35 pm

Woke up to a low of -1.5 this morning.  It was a bit chilly.

We had an official December 24 hour record snowfall of 10" in Madras on Wednesday.  Total accumulation is 18"+.  We're still getting some light snow showers but not much additional accumulation.

I dug out my shoes that have screws in the bottom last night and planned on a short run this afternoon as it warmed up.  Roads are icy but all plowed.  Didn't work out as granddaughter, Abby, age 8, needed a place to spend the day so she helped me put up the Christmas decorations and prepare food for our swim group gathering this afternoon and the candlelight service tonight.  I've struggled to get in the Christmas spirit this year so it was a good way to spend the day.

Maybe I'll make it out there tomorrow...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:22 pm

I made it out there this afternoon.

3 mi @ 10:55  It got up into the 20s and it was sunny and gorgeous.  The roads were still covered with packed snow and ice so the shoes with screws were needed.  I kept it slow and easy.  It was nice to get back out on the road!!  HR still higher than it should be and I've felt a bit of a racing heart a couple times recently.  Hmm...my list of questions for Dr. B is getting longer and longer.

I did enjoy lacing up the shoes on a gorgeous day...I need to remember why I enjoy running.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:33 pm

Gratz on the run and obtaining the Christmas spirit. 

-1.5, eh?  Wow, I can't fathom that.  This morning it was -2 in Amarillo.  I've experienced 9...for a few minutes, then I went back inside after the dog did her business.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks Doug...cold is all relative to what we're used to.

It got up into the 30s today.  But it was windy and sloppy...glad I ran yesterday.

Did my full core/strength workout again this morning.  I was pretty sore after the first couple times last week but felt better today.  Then it was off to swimming.  2300 yds.  Coach Tim commented that I looked better today...and I felt better.  I was able to do the full workout at the efforts suggested and my times were back to where they should be...or close anyway.  Last week I was really struggling.  Tim actually told me not to push to hard and take it easy if I needed to last Friday.  I think he could tell I was struggling to keep up.  I didn't expect it to take so long to recover after only running 20 miles of the marathon but I guess it did take a lot out of me.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:57 pm

nkrichards wrote:Thanks Doug...cold is all relative to what we're used to.

It got up into the 30s today.  But it was windy and sloppy...glad I ran yesterday.

Did my full core/strength workout again this morning.  I was pretty sore after the first couple times last week but felt better today.  Then it was off to swimming.  2300 yds.  Coach Tim commented that I looked better today...and I felt better.  I was able to do the full workout at the efforts suggested and my times were back to where they should be...or close anyway.  Last week I was really struggling.  Tim actually told me not to push to hard and take it easy if I needed to last Friday.  I think he could tell I was struggling to keep up.  I didn't expect it to take so long to recover after only running 20 miles of the marathon but I guess it did take a lot out of me.

Ultreya...
I guess it goes back to your comment on mine, back in the summer about the heat 'n humidity I exist through.

Maybe it's taking longer for more than the 20 miles.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:50 am

Minus 1.5? Yeah, that's nippy. We didn't get much colder than the 20s on the west side.

Good job in the workouts and Christmas spirit. We just got the tree up yesterday, so I know how you feel.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:59 am

I'm back to pilates and core/strength work on a regular basis.  Swimming is coming along nicely again.  I managed to survive a run on the treadmill but enjoyed 4 miles on the road after swimming on Wednesday.  I'm feeling like my marathon recovery is going well.

MADras Runners organized a group run this morning.  We're starting/finishing at the bakery and they've offered a 3.5 mile and a 7 mile loop.  They struggle to get a very good turnout for group runs and it's 20 degrees this morning.  We'll see how it goes.  We have to head over the mountain to Sandy to pick up both our Mom's and bring them over for Christmas but I talked Marty into leaving from the bakery at 10:00.  I feel like I need to make an effort to be a part of the running community.

Merry Christmas.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:39 pm

Hope you had a great Christmas! If you were at home, it sure was a white one!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:19 pm

Mark B wrote:Hope you had a great Christmas! If you were at home, it sure was a white one!

Yes, it was a COLD, white Christmas.

I participated in the group run on Christmas Eve morning.  Low 20's and very icy.  We all wore something on our shoes...I had screws in an old pair.  We met at the bakery and split into two groups of 6-8 runners.  I tagged along with the slower group.  We ran up and then slid down the "M hill"  (???) but we all survived and then continued on the bike trail and some city streets.  We waited when necessary and stayed together as a group which I appreciated.  I visited with a couple of the other runners...I didn't know them very well.  It was a fun 3.83 mile run.  Once we got back to the bakery I grabbed my complimentary goodie and hot cocoa and hopped in the car with Marty to drive over the mountain and pick up our Moms in Sandy.  Roads were OK and traffic was busy but not terrible. 

On the drive home...nearly 4 hours after I finished the run...my ankle started to swell and hurt.  Not sure what that was all about but by the time I got home I could barely walk.  I took a couple Advil and it improved slightly.  By morning it was better but not good.  It continued to improve and by yesterday I was able to go to Pilates without any ill effects so I laced up my shoes and went for a test run.  Other than a cold, wet storm blowing through during the run all went well.  Still not sure what that was all about but it looks like I'll survive intact.

Christmas was good.  We enjoyed the opportunity to spend time with our Mom's.  They stayed two nights and my brother came over on Monday to give them a ride home.  We ate way to much.  I wish people would cut down on the candy gifts...not the best idea for me...it's like giving a smoker cigarettes...  I've been pretty careful but it's hard not to eat it when it's here.  The younger generations all went sledding after breakfast on Christmas morning.  They had a blast...I think we would enjoy it but it wasn't an option with our Mom's here.

I'm not into resolutions but I do like having goals.  I need to make some decisions so I can choose some goals and make plans to reach them...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:50 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Hope you had a great Christmas! If you were at home, it sure was a white one!

I participated in the group run on Christmas Eve morning.  Low 20's and very icy.  We all wore something on our shoes...I had screws in an old pair.  We met at the bakery and split into two groups of 6-8 runners.  I tagged along with the slower group.  We ran up and then slid down the "M hill"  (???) but we all survived and then continued on the bike trail and some city streets.  We waited when necessary and stayed together as a group which I appreciated.  I visited with a couple of the other runners...I didn't know them very well.  It was a fun 3.83 mile run.  Once we got back to the bakery I grabbed my complimentary goodie and hot cocoa and hopped in the car with Marty to drive over the mountain and pick up our Moms in Sandy.  Roads were OK and traffic was busy but not terrible. 

On the drive home...nearly 4 hours after I finished the run...my ankle started to swell and hurt.  Not sure what that was all about but by the time I got home I could barely walk.  I took a couple Advil and it improved slightly.  By morning it was better but not good.  It continued to improve and by yesterday I was able to go to Pilates without any ill effects so I laced up my shoes and went for a test run.  Other than a cold, wet storm blowing through during the run all went well.  Still not sure what that was all about but it looks like I'll survive intact.

Christmas was good.  We enjoyed the opportunity to spend time with our Mom's.  They stayed two nights and my brother came over on Monday to give them a ride home.  We ate way to much.  I wish people would cut down on the candy gifts...not the best idea for me...it's like giving a smoker cigarettes...  I've been pretty careful but it's hard not to eat it when it's here.  The younger generations all went sledding after breakfast on Christmas morning.  They had a blast...I think we would enjoy it but it wasn't an option with our Mom's here.

I'm not into resolutions but I do like having goals.  I need to make some decisions so I can choose some goals and make plans to reach them...

Ultreya...
This year, a cold Christmas would've been 60 degrees, which is actually the average for Christmas.  Alas, 80 was the highest we could get.

Regarding the ankle, what do you think you were having to do mechanically different?  Running in spikes?  At this age, I have found that running on non-pancake flat surfaces will cause me to get a swollen ankle(s), later in the day.  No injuries, just the edema from the different mechanics to keep me upright.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:46 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Ultreya...
This year, a cold Christmas would've been 60 degrees, which is actually the average for Christmas.  Alas, 80 was the highest we could get.

Regarding the ankle, what do you think you were having to do mechanically different?  Running in spikes?  At this age, I have found that running on non-pancake flat surfaces will cause me to get a swollen ankle(s), later in the day.  No injuries, just the edema from the different mechanics to keep me upright.

The screws aren't a big factor...they are pretty short.  I'm pretty sure it was just the effort to keep from slipping.  I was using lots of different muscles to stay upright.  Also it was pretty rough in areas that had been walked on but the snow was still pretty deep.  I'm sure that even though I didn't notice a definite ankle twist that there was some going on.  I'm just surprised that it waited so long to get sore and swollen...and pleased that it returned to normal so quickly!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:19 pm

Great to hear!  Have a good New Year, if I don't post here again, this year.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:34 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Ultreya...

The screws aren't a big factor...they are pretty short.  I'm pretty sure it was just the effort to keep from slipping.  I was using lots of different muscles to stay upright.  Also it was pretty rough in areas that had been walked on but the snow was still pretty deep.  I'm sure that even though I didn't notice a definite ankle twist that there was some going on.  I'm just surprised that it waited so long to get sore and swollen...and pleased that it returned to normal so quickly!

The slip-prevention theory makes the most sense to me. I think I hurt myself more trying to not fall than I'd do if I just relaxed and went with it. Glad you had a fun Christmas, and that the ankle is behaving again.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:02 pm

Well, we're going to give the icy streets another try today.  The Freeze your Fanny is this morning.  Temps in the 20s.  It's a 3 mile run followed by a 500 yard swim which will warm us up nicely.  Well attended community event that I participate in unless I'm out of town.

The roads here at the house are snow/ice free but the roads and sidewalks around the pool still have a fair bit of ice/snow in places.  I'm curious to see where they have us run this morning.

Getting back into training a bit...

Tues- Pilates
         3 mi @ 10:15 HR 148/183  (vivo HR 134/165) Spitting rain and windy...cold.  Ankle held up well.

Wed- Core
         Swim 2050 yards

Thur- Pilates
         5.5 mi w/5 @ 9:54 HR 152/183 (vivo HR 148/166)  Warmer but windy so it was chilly.  Longest run in a while.  Felt pretty good.

Fri - Swim 2750 yards.  Coach Tim had a special workout to end the year and transition into 2017.  After a shorter than usual warmup (550 yards), we swam 17 x 100 and then 17 x 25.  Had to work at it but I kept my paces pretty even throughout.  It was a fun and challenging workout.

I got a Garmin Vivosmart HR+.  The main purpose is to track my resting HR.  I lost that capability when they recalled my Basis Peak a few months ago and I think it's important data for me.  I'm still getting used to the device.  It won't replace my trusty Forerunner 305 for running data but it is interesting.  My HR has been high on the 305 but the Vivo data is significantly lower.  I may try switching back to an older chest strap and see if that makes a difference.  I don't feel like my HR is anywhere close to that high during my runs.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:04 pm

Good job on getting back to it, and congratulations on the new toy! Er, valuable training tool. Smile

It'll be interesting to see how the data correlates between the old and new technology. I'm still using my 305, so who knows what the new tech would say.

I hope you and your family have a happy new year. And stay warm! It's going to get nippy.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:30 am

Glad you're making progress.  Y'all enjoy those warm temps up there, we'll be mid-70's on Sunday.  On Wednesday, it's supposed to cool off again.  A/C is on until then.

Happy new year.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:58 pm

Mark B wrote:Good job on getting back to it, and congratulations on the new toy! Er, valuable training tool. Smile

It'll be interesting to see how the data correlates between the old and new technology. I'm still using my 305, so who knows what the new tech would say.

I hope you and your family have a happy new year. And stay warm! It's going to get nippy.

Thanks Mark...I'm still learning the tricks of the vivosmart but at this point it looks like I'll be relying on the good old 305 for training runs.  I wanted something that would give me my resting HR so I could watch trends and figured for the small additional cost I might as well go with the HR+ that has GPS but I'm liking the old 305 better.

ounce
Glad you're making progress.  Y'all enjoy those warm temps up there, we'll be mid-70's on Sunday.  On Wednesday, it's supposed to cool off again.  A/C is on until then.

Happy new year.

Not sure I'm making progress Doug...hopefully I'm holding my own though.

So I finished the year with a fun community event.  The Freeze Your Fanny offers an 8 mile run, a 3 mile run, or a 3 mile run and 500 yard swim (in the warm pool after the run).  This is one event where I feel comfortable making it a fun social event and not worrying about being competitive...but I still put forth a good effort.  3.17 mi in 28:56 @ 9:08 pace on a hilly course and then 500 yds in 9:51.  Pretty happy with those results.  It was in the high 20's when the race started at 10:00 but the sun was shining and the views were absolutely gorgeous.  They kept us on the main road this year so we didn't have to worry about ice and snow.  The transition isn't timed so I waited for my friend and we swam together.  They serve chili and cornbread afterwards and the swag was a nice buff.  Very fun event for a good cause.  Great way to end the year.

Started the New Year with a rest day.  I thought about getting out there one more time before the snow hit but decided a rest day was advised after my effort yesterday.

Year end tally...

• Run 945 miles.  Previous best 863 in 2013.
  • Bike 1153 miles.  Previous best 454 in 2014.
  • Swim 112 sessions (229,900 yds).  Previous best 92 sessions in 2014.  I didn't track yards back then but we're swimming over 2000 yds most days and back then we thought it was a hard day if we made 1400 yds.  I think I doubled my swim yards this year.

I rode my first Century in June.

I swam my first timed 3000 in November.

I recorded my first DNF in December...I guess you win some and you lose some.

So California was a bust and it's time this blog came to an end.  I'll take a few more days to further analyze things and then I'll decide on some new goals and how to reach them.  I have an appointment with Dr. B on Thursday.  I don't expect any big changes but I do have a lot of questions to ask him.  I've done a bit of research which has given me more questions than answers.  His input will help me choose appropriate goals.

Here comes 2017...Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:35 am

You had some huge accomplishments in 2016, Nancy, so I wouldn't give the flame-out at CIM much more thought. Like Kevin said earlier, the marathon is a devilishly tricky race, and sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Your "Freeze Your Fanny" race sounds like a lot of fun. Glad it was in the 20s rather than the single-digits!

Here's to new adventures in 2017, whatever they are.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next