365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

+5
They call me MISTER Fluff
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
9 posters

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 10 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:07 pm

Trail Run: 2.95 miles

Weather: Overcast, warmish. 64° Gear: Lone Peaks, shorts, T.

This was supposed to be a 10-miler but we got a late start with all sorts of distractions and our heart, minds and body just were not into it. We made it well over two miles before shifting into a walk. Then when it was time to decide whether to start a second loop, we said the heck with it and wrapped it up. Good thing it's a stepback week, but it was definitely the right choice for us today.

Average HR for entire run (which included the walking) 109

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:57 am

Low HR Run: 4.27 miles

Weather: Mostly cloudy, mild. 49° Gear: Topos, shorts, T, jacket and hat.

Managed to avoid the rain this morning, and I managed to retain the discipline to make this run a low HR effort rather than the tempoish run I've done the past few weeks. I'm experimenting to see if that makes a difference on my hill climb workout out Thursday. Besides, after yesterday's flame-out, easy-peasey was today's watchword.

Looking at the data, I didn't quite hit perfect low HR targets, but it wasn't too far off. Splits were pretty consistent, but my pace at any given seemed a bit erratic. But then again, the route isn't perfectly flat, soo.....

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 132

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:58 pm

So much different scope when a loved one is running along.  Can't just look ahead for yourself, but around and looking forward further to anticipate potential issues.

Regarding the treadmill, how has your work shift change factored in to the difference in HR?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:16 pm

ounce wrote:So much different scope when a loved one is running along.  Can't just look ahead for yourself, but around and looking forward further to anticipate potential issues.

Regarding the treadmill, how has your work shift change factored in to the difference in HR?

Yep. It takes your brain out of its normal self-centeredness. And that's before you hear a "Unh! *Splat!*" when your loved one crashes and burns behind you. Definitely a different thing. Good, but different.

The work shift change may have an impact -- I have much less time to get the workout done, so I'm a bit more stressed getting ready -- but I was doing the new shift for several weeks and was still seeing improving times. Heck, I wonder if it coincided with my great idea of using a small towel as a headband to keep the sweat out of my eyes... that'd heat me up a bit.

We'll see what happens this week.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Walk: 2 miles

Easy walk at lunch, dodging a few raindrops.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Well, a non-branded headband is no more than $4 at a big box sports store (not thinking Dick's).  I bought 1, then 2 more because it takes a while for them to air dry inside.  My solar panel requires a headband.  They might even be at Target.  Heck, see if you can score one from Nike when you're lab ratting.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 pm

ounce wrote:Well, a non-branded headband is no more than $4 at a big box sports store (not thinking Dick's).  I bought 1, then 2 more because it takes a while for them to air dry inside.  My solar panel requires a headband.  They might even be at Target.  Heck, see if you can score one from Nike when you're lab ratting.

Yup. But I can't help but think about an image like this ..

Trails for Two - Page 10 Ben-st10

or...

Trails for Two - Page 10 1840010

Not that my look is much better, I suppose...  Suspect

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Moving right along...

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Should you be wielding a pressure washer to satisfy the fussbudgets in the homeowners association who think a driveway blacked by algae is unsightly, be sure to be careful where you point it. I accidentally passed it over my big toe, and it felt like somebody had hit it with a sledgehammer . Holy moly! It hurt. Even through shoes. I have a dandy bruise where it hit, and it actually looks like it got hit with a hammer. Crazy.

So don't be like me, kids. 

-30-

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:57 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Well, a non-branded headband is no more than $4 at a big box sports store (not thinking Dick's).  I bought 1, then 2 more because it takes a while for them to air dry inside.  My solar panel requires a headband.  They might even be at Target.  Heck, see if you can score one from Nike when you're lab ratting.

or...

Ah, yes.  There are so many lights bearing down on you of equivalent candlepower as these individuals have in their respective motion pictures.  Not to mention the cameras, staff, and, of course, the Best Boy.

If you're going to wear a towel on your head, at least look like Yasser, except in green and gold like Notre Dame.
Trails for Two - Page 10 Th?id=OIP.Dt0Aav6aeklRUR8ZpTKDAQEsC0&w=273&h=163&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1

Razz
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:13 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

or...

Ah, yes.  There are so many lights bearing down on you of equivalent candlepower as these individuals have in their respective motion pictures.  Not to mention the cameras, staff, and, of course, the Best Boy.

If you're going to wear a towel on your head, at least look like Yasser, except in green and gold like Notre Dame.
Trails for Two - Page 10 Th?id=OIP.Dt0Aav6aeklRUR8ZpTKDAQEsC0&w=273&h=163&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1

Razz

Well, technically, it's a very small towel, like a hand towel, about 8 inches wide, just long enough to tie in a knot behind my head, manbun style. Mr. Arafat wouldn't have been caught dead with such a ridiculous get-up on his head.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:27 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:So much different scope when a loved one is running along.  Can't just look ahead for yourself, but around and looking forward further to anticipate potential issues.

Yep. It takes your brain out of its normal self-centeredness. And that's before you hear a "Unh! *Splat!*" when your loved one crashes and burns behind you. Definitely a different thing. Good, but different.

The work shift change may have an impact -- I have much less time to get the workout done, so I'm a bit more stressed getting ready -- but I was doing the new shift for several weeks and was still seeing improving times. Heck, I wonder if it coincided with my great idea of using a small towel as a headband to keep the sweat out of my eyes... that'd heat me up a bit.

We'll see what happens this week.
Wait...what...I hope you aren't saying that it's a good thing when you hear that "Unh! *Splat!*"

Mark B
Moving right along...

Should you be wielding a pressure washer to satisfy the fussbudgets in the homeowners association who think a driveway blacked by algae is unsightly, be sure to be careful where you point it. I accidentally passed it over my big toe, and it felt like somebody had hit it with a sledgehammer . Holy moly! It hurt. Even through shoes. I have a dandy bruise where it hit, and it actually looks like it got hit with a hammer. Crazy.

-30-
Why am I not surprised to read something like this in your blog!
How's the toe feeling?
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:01 am

nkrichards wrote:Wait...what...I hope you aren't saying that it's a good thing when you hear that "Unh! *Splat!*"

Derp. No, that's not what I meant, though it is what it sounds like, isn't it? It's good to be not selfishly focused on yourself. That's the good bit. Splat, not so much.

Moving right along...

-30-
nkrichards wrote:Why am I not surprised to read something like this in your blog!
How's the toe feeling?

You're not surprised because you know me. Very Happy

The toe is fine. It was a funny looking bruise, but not a bad one.

Last edited by Mark B on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:02 am

Barefoot Run: 4.14 miles

Weather: Overcast, a few sprinkles. 46° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, jacket, hat.

I was pleased to see dry pavement for a change this morning when I started on my run, but it was too good to last. I got partway in, and it started to rain. At least it was a light shower, though it left the pavement slightly wet. At least it wasn't sopping wet, or hailing...

The run went well, with HRs pretty much on target and paces in the 10:33-10:44 range. Not as locked in as some days, but still good.

Equipment note: My HR strap was giving screwy data at first, saying I was at an elevated HR while standing still (and taking my pulse), but it seemed to settle down once I started running. It's odd because I lubed the strap well. Hope it was just a glitch, because it was a bit distracting.

Average HR for the entire run: 136

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Wait...what...I hope you aren't saying that it's a good thing when you hear that "Unh! *Splat!*"

Derp. No, that's not what I meant, though it is what it sounds like, isn't it? It's good to be not selfishly focused on yourself. That's the good bit. Splat, not so much.

Moving right along...

-30-
nkrichards wrote:Why am I not surprised to read something like this in your blog!
How's the toe feeling?

Looks like Mark needs an editor for his own posts. Suspect
We have 5 applicants below:
Evil or Very Mad  - The Never Satisfied editor
silent  - The I'm Sure It's Fine editor
affraid  - The If It Bleeds, It Leads editor
queen  - The This Is Just The Next Step Until I'm Publisher editor
StirPot  - The I Used To Work At Breitbart editor
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:25 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Moving right along...

-30-
How's the toe feeling?

Nice! (And for the record, EVERYBODY needs an editor.)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Moving right along...

-30-
How's the toe feeling?

Knot me.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:41 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Moving right along...

-30-
How's the toe feeling?

Knot me.

Our former editor here was very fond of his bumper sticker, which said: EDITORS ARE ALWAYS WRITE  Rolling Eyes

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:15 am

Treadmill Hill Climb: 3 miles @ 12% grade (1,900 feet)

Indoors, 70° Gear: Topos, shorts.

Testing out my hypothesis about tempo running affecting hill climbing later in the week, and there may be some truth to it. My average HR wasn't as low as it was in mid-March, but it was better than last week. It's worth noting that over time, the HR creep during the workout has been getting smaller than when I started, so that's good. I might need to extend the time/distance to squeeze more out of this workout, or change the intensity, since I don't have time to go longer.

Average HR for entire workout: 137

HR splits: 130, 139, 142

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Mark B wrote:Treadmill Hill Climb: 3 miles @ 12% grade (1,900 feet)

Testing out my hypothesis about tempo running affecting hill climbing later in the week, and there may be some truth to it. My average HR wasn't as low as it was in mid-March, but it was better than last week. It's worth noting that over time, the HR creep during the workout has been getting smaller than when I started, so that's good. I might need to extend the time/distance to squeeze more out of this workout, or change the intensity, since I don't have time to go longer.

What if you swapped days of the two workouts?  How do you think things would go on HR, muscle fatigue, and the overall mood (and its downstream effects) of the patient?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:43 pm

ounce wrote:

What if you swapped days of the two workouts?  How do you think things would go on HR, muscle fatigue, and the overall mood (and its downstream effects) of the patient?

Maybe, if I'm feeling like both the mad scientist and the test subject at the same time.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:59 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

Maybe, if I'm feeling like both the mad scientist and the test subject at the same time.

Next time I check I'm sure Doug will have posted a photo of a mad scientist here. lol!

It is good to see that you've turned the trend around.  There are so many things that affect the HR and/or a training event.  It's almost impossible to determine which one thing you need to change...and maybe you don't need to change anything...maybe that's just the way this training cycle is going to go.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:48 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

And your point? Neutral
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

Next time I check I'm sure Doug will have posted a photo of a mad scientist here. lol!

It is good to see that you've turned the trend around.  There are so many things that affect the HR and/or a training event.  It's almost impossible to determine which one thing you need to change...and maybe you don't need to change anything...maybe that's just the way this training cycle is going to go.
Never color me as a person who doesn't accept a dare.
Trails for Two - Page 10 604110_10151262187458908_473452299_n
You pick the mad scientist.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Boy I hope you didn't have that stored on a hard drive somewhere...  Shocked

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Walk: 3 miles

Weather: Sunny and mild. 59°

It may end up being our warmest day of the year, so I couldn't resist the temptation to head out for a walk at lunch. There were a LOT more people out there than on those cold and/or rainy days earlier this year. :-)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next