365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

+5
They call me MISTER Fluff
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
9 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 21 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:09 pm

How's the PT going? 

Have you or Alita been able to get outside for any walking/running yet? 

Our smoke was a bit less intense over the weekend but another fire broke out in Warm Springs and it's worse than ever now.  I'm looking forward to the cooler temps.  Our first thunder storm is booming around us as speak.  Thunderstorms are predicted for the next four afternoons.  Enjoy the cooler temps...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:32 am

nkrichards wrote:How's the PT going? 

Our smoke was a bit less intense over the weekend but another fire broke out in Warm Springs and it's worse than ever now.  I'm looking forward to the cooler temps.  Our first thunder storm is booming around us as speak.  Thunderstorms are predicted for the next four afternoons.  Enjoy the cooler temps...

Hi, Nancy!

Sorry to be so negligent on this blog. Been very busy. Alita had ear surgery on Tuesday, and I've been taking care of her since then. She can't do anything remotely physical for a week, and nothing very physical for two weeks. We don't want the device in her ear to be dislodged, or it will all be for naught.

I saw my preferred PT on Wednesday, and she gave me some devilishly difficult exercises to do in addition to the ones the other PT gave me. She gave me a diagnosis different from both my doctor and the other PT (who thought calf). Though observation and checking, she believes I tweaked one of my hamstrings. She encouraged me to start walking and running, if it's not too difficult, so I don't lose any more fitness. I walked two miles today, and it was pretty rough at the start -- thanks in part to the aforementioned devilishly difficult exercises. But eventually, it'll all work out.

It's not been too horribly hot outside, but inside, with no a/c upstairs... it's getting old. Looking forward to cooler weather soon. I wish we'd get a decent t-boomer around here, but they just don't happen very often on the west side of the Cascades, and even less often near the mouth of the Columbia River Gorge. There's something about that gorge that causes impressive looking thunderstorms to disintegrate. ah well.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:How's the PT going? 

Hi, Nancy!

Sorry to be so negligent on this blog. Been very busy. Alita had ear surgery on Tuesday, and I've been taking care of her since then. She can't do anything remotely physical for a week, and nothing very physical for two weeks. We don't want the device in her ear to be dislodged, or it will all be for naught.

I saw my preferred PT on Wednesday, and she gave me some devilishly difficult exercises to do in addition to the ones the other PT gave me. She gave me a diagnosis different from both my doctor and the other PT (who thought calf). Though observation and checking, she believes I tweaked one of my hamstrings. She encouraged me to start walking and running, if it's not too difficult, so I don't lose any more fitness. I walked two miles today, and it was pretty rough at the start -- thanks in part to the aforementioned devilishly difficult exercises. But eventually, it'll all work out.

It's not been too horribly hot outside, but inside, with no a/c upstairs... it's getting old. Looking forward to cooler weather soon. I wish we'd get a decent t-boomer around here, but they just don't happen very often on the west side of the Cascades, and even less often near the mouth of the Columbia River Gorge. There's something about that gorge that causes impressive looking thunderstorms to disintegrate. ah well.

I love a good thunderstorm but they can do a lot of damage in a very short time.  We've had some real doozys over here.  Culver got dumped on Thursday night.  The plains got drenched last night.  So far we've escaped the worst of it.  A bit of wind and a few sprinkles but nothing significant.  Fingers crossed.

Curious about your devilishly difficult exercises...not that I'd have/take the time to do them...

Hope this cooling trend arrives as predicted.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:07 pm

+1 on thunderstorms, too.  Those tornadoes and thunderstorms in Oklahoma and to the east are so unusual for August.  Usually it's just the heat.  West side of Houston (3 miles west of me) received 7 inches in 6 hours with 3 of it from 2:00 a.m. to 2:59 a.m.  I just got 3 inches.  That's lots of rain in August in Houston, when it can't be blamed on a tropical system.

Hope Alita's 2nd shot works, this time.  Maybe now, whispering sweet nothings in her ear won't have to be at 100 decibels. Wink
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:52 pm

nkrichards wrote:I love a good thunderstorm but they can do a lot of damage in a very short time.  We've had some real doozys over here.  Culver got dumped on Thursday night.  The plains got drenched last night.  So far we've escaped the worst of it.  A bit of wind and a few sprinkles but nothing significant.  Fingers crossed.

Curious about your devilishly difficult exercises...not that I'd have/take the time to do them...

Hope this cooling trend arrives as predicted.

Hi Nancy! I've been in a few Central Oregon thunderstorms, and they're nothing like what we get over on this side. I'd imagine they'd be pretty unhelpful to farmers. But the cooling trend has arrived, with actual, honest-to-gosh rain! It's been a while.

As far as exercises go, let's see if I can do a quick rundown.

In addition to the previous exercises..

1) Clamshell, making sure to isolate the gluteus medius, repeated until it burns like crazy.
2) Prone leg lift with bent leg, working the gluteus maximus, repeated until it burns like crazy.
3) Side leg lift, being sure to press the heel against a solid surface while lifting to engage both the gluteus medius and maximus, until it burns like crazy.

We added these!

4) "The Woodpecker" - stand on one leg, knee slightly flexed. Bend forward at the hip, extending the free leg back while touching the floor. I'm supposed to be able to do this without tipping over, but at this point I have to correct my balance by touching a wall. This is designed to stretch and strengthen the hamstrings' eccentric action. It' about as easy as it sounds. 
5) Sideways lunge. She wanted me to do simple forward lunges, but we discovered my feet don't bend the right way to do that exercise. (ow! ow! ow!) So she's having me lunge sideways into a partial squat with my back arched and butt sticking way out to focus on the hamstring and glute max. It makes me feel like I'm trying to imitate a speed skater when I do it, except for the whole butt-sticking-out thing. 

The first day I did it, I had a hard time walking later. But the more days I do it, the less that's a problem. That gives me hope that it's working.

ounce wrote:+1 on thunderstorms, too.  Those tornadoes and thunderstorms in Oklahoma and to the east are so unusual for August.  Usually it's just the heat.  West side of Houston (3 miles west of me) received 7 inches in 6 hours with 3 of it from 2:00 a.m. to 2:59 a.m.  I just got 3 inches.  That's lots of rain in August in Houston, when it can't be blamed on a tropical system.

Hope Alita's 2nd shot works, this time.  Maybe now, whispering sweet nothings in her ear won't have to be at 100 decibels. Wink

FIRST MEASURABLE RAIN IN 56 DAYS THIS MORNING, BABY! 

People east of the 100th meridian might be surprised to know that most of the West -- including the rainy Pacific NW -- has a regular summer drought. This year's was longer than usual, and today's rainfall is barely a tenth of an inch, but boy, was it nice to see this morning. Glad we don't get rain 3 inches at a time here.

Hoping that Alita's second shot works, too. For all sorts of reasons (though yours is a good one). We're crossing our fingers.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:22 pm

I'm sure all that oil on the roads caused the wrecker companies some extra business, after the roads became wet.  But y'all haven't been suffering much on no rain, except NE Montana.  55% of Oregon is 'abnormally dry,' the first level.  Maybe next Monday's eclipse will make it rain!  Keep sliding pretty!

Trails for Two - Page 21 20170808_west_none
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:40 am

ounce wrote:I'm sure all that oil on the roads caused the wrecker companies some extra business, after the roads became wet.  But y'all haven't been suffering much on no rain, except NE Montana.  55% of Oregon is 'abnormally dry,' the first level.  Maybe next Monday's eclipse will make it rain!  Keep sliding pretty!

Mark's in that normal area...we're smack in the middle of the yellow abnormally dry area. 

The rain was kind of nice but it didn't do the hay any good.  Oh well...that's farming.

Thanks for the explanation/description of your PT exercises Mark.  I've been doing my core/strength work on occasion but not often enough and it's been tough to get to Pilates.  Marty mentioned this morning that he wants to try and find time to start doing our core work together again...tough to do when we're farming.  He wants to make sure he's ready for elk hunting and the Nepal trip.  If he can make time it will encourage me to do it more often as well and I may try and sneak in a few of your exercises...I've never been able to get my glutes working as well as they should.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:55 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:I'm sure all that oil on the roads caused the wrecker companies some extra business, after the roads became wet.  But y'all haven't been suffering much on no rain, except NE Montana.  55% of Oregon is 'abnormally dry,' the first level.  Maybe next Monday's eclipse will make it rain!  Keep sliding pretty!

Mark's in that normal area...we're smack in the middle of the yellow abnormally dry area. 

The rain was kind of nice but it didn't do the hay any good.  Oh well...that's farming.

Thanks for the explanation/description of your PT exercises Mark.  I've been doing my core/strength work on occasion but not often enough and it's been tough to get to Pilates.  Marty mentioned this morning that he wants to try and find time to start doing our core work together again...tough to do when we're farming.  He wants to make sure he's ready for elk hunting and the Nepal trip.  If he can make time it will encourage me to do it more often as well and I may try and sneak in a few of your exercises...I've never been able to get my glutes working as well as they should.

The other "normal" thing I maybe didn't convey before is that a summer dry spell is totally normal here. It doesn't really factor into long-term drought like what Ounce was showing above. This dry spell was longer than usual, but we were extremely wet earlier this year.

Climate folks actually classify our region as having a Mediterranean climate - CSB on the Köppen climate classification system.

From Wiki:
Under the Köppen climate classification, "hot dry-summer" climates (classified as Csa) and "cool dry-summer climates (classified as Csb) are often referred to as "mediterranean". Under the Köppen climate system, the first letter indicates the climate group (in this case temperate climates). Temperate climates or "C" zones have an average temperature above 0 °C (32 °F), but below 18 °C (64 °F), in their coolest months. The second letter indicates the precipitation pattern ("s" represents dry summers). Köppen has defined a dry summer month as a month with less than 30 mm (1.2 in) of precipitation and with less than one-third that of the wettest winter month. Some, however, use a 40 mm (1.6 in) level.[2][3] The third letter indicates the degree of summer heat: "a" represents an average temperature in the warmest month above 22 °C (72 °F), while "b" indicates the average temperature in the warmest month below 22 °C (72 °F).

Under the Köppen classification, dry-summer climates (Csa, Csb) usually occur on the western sides of continents. Csb zones in the Köppen system include areas normally not associated with mediterranean climates but with Oceanic climates, such as much of the Pacific Northwest, much of southern Chile, parts of west-central Argentina, and parts of New Zealand.  Additional highland areas in the subtropics also meet Cs requirements, though they, too, are not normally associated with mediterranean climates, as do a number of oceanic islands such as Madeira, the Juan Fernández Islands, the western part of the Canary Islands, and the eastern part of the Azores.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:52 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

The other "normal" thing I maybe didn't convey before is that a summer dry spell is totally normal here. It doesn't really factor into long-term drought like what Ounce was showing above. This dry spell was longer than usual, but we were extremely wet earlier this year.

Climate folks actually classify our region as having a Mediterranean climate - CSB on the Köppen climate classification system.

From Wiki:
Under the Köppen climate classification, "hot dry-summer" climates (classified as Csa) and "cool dry-summer climates (classified as Csb) are often referred to as "mediterranean". Under the Köppen climate system, the first letter indicates the climate group (in this case temperate climates). Temperate climates or "C" zones have an average temperature above 0 °C (32 °F), but below 18 °C (64 °F), in their coolest months. The second letter indicates the precipitation pattern ("s" represents dry summers). Köppen has defined a dry summer month as a month with less than 30 mm (1.2 in) of precipitation and with less than one-third that of the wettest winter month. Some, however, use a 40 mm (1.6 in) level.[2][3] The third letter indicates the degree of summer heat: "a" represents an average temperature in the warmest month above 22 °C (72 °F), while "b" indicates the average temperature in the warmest month below 22 °C (72 °F).

Under the Köppen classification, dry-summer climates (Csa, Csb) usually occur on the western sides of continents. Csb zones in the Köppen system include areas normally not associated with mediterranean climates but with Oceanic climates, such as much of the Pacific Northwest, much of southern Chile, parts of west-central Argentina, and parts of New Zealand.  Additional highland areas in the subtropics also meet Cs requirements, though they, too, are not normally associated with mediterranean climates, as do a number of oceanic islands such as Madeira, the Juan Fernández Islands, the western part of the Canary Islands, and the eastern part of the Azores.

We're "high desert" and the name fits.  High elevation and low rainfall...I think our average is around 11".
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:30 pm

Climate folks have classified our environment as Hotter'nell from May until April, with sporadic freak occurrences as not Hotter'nell.  Precipitation is classified as Whoa, Nelllieeeeee from August to July.  Nature seems to take particular pleasure in having "catch up events" where any deficits in annual average rainfall are caught up all at once, usually from March to February. 

Being located next to the Gulf of Mexico, Houston enjoys random tropical cyclones from June to September, for the most part.  When occurring, its nature's way of another "catch up events" category. Rather than for annual average rainfall statistics, it "catches up" for a series of past years or future years events to make a cluster of years 'average' for when Houston has pissed off nature or for statisticians who can state, "While individually, a few years were drought years, the year of Hurricane WTF and its 29.00" made those years collectively as statistically average."

Ice, snow, and other meteorological events were the playthings of Rhea and Cybelle, the Greek Goddesses of Nature.  Houston did not show Rhea proper respect and she condemned Houston to a life of humidity.  Cybelle lost her book of Ice and Snow, therefore she tries to remember the spells for Ice and Snow, but she only gets it right every 8 years or so.  Don't ask what happens when she gets it wrong.

-from "The Farmer's Almanac - Dark Net version"
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:33 pm

ounce wrote:Climate folks have classified our environment as Hotter'nell from May until April, with sporadic freak occurrences as not Hotter'nell.  Precipitation is classified as Whoa, Nelllieeeeee from August to July.  Nature seems to take particular pleasure in having "catch up events" where any deficits in annual average rainfall are caught up all at once, usually from March to February. 

Being located next to the Gulf of Mexico, Houston enjoys random tropical cyclones from June to September, for the most part.  When occurring, its nature's way of another "catch up events" category. Rather than for annual average rainfall statistics, it "catches up" for a series of past years or future years events to make a cluster of years 'average' for when Houston has pissed off nature or for statisticians who can state, "While individually, a few years were drought years, the year of Hurricane WTF and its 29.00" made those years collectively as statistically average."

Ice, snow, and other meteorological events were the playthings of Rhea and Cybelle, the Greek Goddesses of Nature.  Houston did not show Rhea proper respect and she condemned Houston to a life of humidity.  Cybelle lost her book of Ice and Snow, therefore she tries to remember the spells for Ice and Snow, but she only gets it right every 8 years or so.  Don't ask what happens when she gets it wrong.

lol!

You win.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:06 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Climate folks have classified our environment as Hotter'nell from May until April, with sporadic freak occurrences as not Hotter'nell.  Precipitation is classified as Whoa, Nelllieeeeee from August to July.  Nature seems to take particular pleasure in having "catch up events" where any deficits in annual average rainfall are caught up all at once, usually from March to February. 

lol!

You win.

+1 Doug's reputation is well deserved and intact...nice job.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:16 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

lol!

You win.

+1 Doug's reputation is well deserved and intact...nice job.
Embarassed  Aw, shucks. ( Cool )
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:47 pm

The "Woodpecker" sounds like what I call a one-legged deadlift.  If you do enough of them, they'll make your gluteus medius real happy.  

Also, according to your fancy shmancy learn-ed man climate map, you and I once lived in the same climate zone.  What a crock.  Everyone knows it doesn't rain in California.  tongue

Gotta admire Doug's commitment to the joke.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:01 pm

We got sidetracked talking about the weather and I wanted to go back and take a better look at your exercises. 

We do the clam shells in Pilates...with a rubber band on our knees to make them harder.

We do the prone leg lifts and the side leg lifts but I'm going to try pressing against the wall with my heel...sounds like that will add some burning.

We also do "The Woodpecker" although I think Sara has another name for it.

The sideways lunge sounds...interesting... 
Coach Cherie has me doing reverse lunges instead of forward lunges and I have to do them with a chair in front of my knee to keep my knee over my ankle and I put a slide under the foot that lunges back.  It makes it hard to push off with that back foot when I come back up.  I have to use my glutes to get back up.
Cherie also has me doing single leg squats...again with something to block my knee so that it stays over my ankle...and emphasizes sticking my butt out.  I won't mention the mental image she asks me to use to remind me to do it correctly.

Sounds like slightly different ways to get the same results.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:59 pm

Hey, Mark, why do Altra Lone Star 2.0 shoes have such long shoestrings?  That pair I have might could lace up the shoes twice.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Got to get back in the habit of writing in here...

We hadn't planned to face the traffic craziness to drive to the total solar eclipse in Oregon, figuring our 99% coverage here in Vancouver would be fine.

That is, until Saturday night, when all three of us simultaneously revealed that we actually DID want to go, but were playing it cool because we thought nobody else wanted to do it. Yeah, we need to work on our communications.

So, on the spot, we decided to do it! And began to giddily make plans -- which turned into tremendous anxiety given all the warnings about traffic, mobs of people, etc. We decided to leave very late Sunday, the night before the eclipse, or VERY early on eclipse morning.

We left at 10:30 p.m. Sunday. We couldn't stand it any longer. We drove to Dallas, Oregon, a small town west of Salem in Oregon's Willamette Valley. The town (population 15,000) had put out an open invitation to any and all to attend. Our plan was to drive there, find a place to park with a porta-potty nearby, sleep in the car and take part in the festivities the next morning. 

We got there at about midnight (no traffic), found a place near the Dallas Aquatic Center... and the three of us spent the next six hours trying to sleep in a two-door Ford Escort ZX2. Ever used a wallet as a pillow? It was better than the edge of the door... Anyway, we all got a couple of hours of sleep and were awake before the sun came up. Whew! We had some leftover pizza for breakfast, then headed down to the town square as soon as things started happening at 7 a.m.

We got coffee and some souvenirs and hung out. Nice little town! The town square wasn't packed, but it had a good number of people there. We all enjoyed watching the progression of the eclipse -- the shadows it makes are amazing -- and we all cheered as the last itsti-bitsi sliver of the sun disappeared, took off our eclipse glasses -- and gaped. Holy cow. What a sight. We watched for about half of totality (about 2 minutes) when Alita remembered we brought binoculars. I dashed to get them and got an amazing view of the corona and solar flares -- MOVING -- before I quickly passed the binoculars on to Alita and Alec. I got one last glance through the binocs when we had the "diamond ring" and totality ended. Wow. Just wow.

We hung out for a bit after, then started heading home. The drive back took about six hours, with our Waze app on my iPhone taking us down a bunch of country roads to avoid traffic. Of course, everybody ELSE using that app got sent down those same roads, too, so it was ... interesting. At least it was pretty farm country.

Here are a few photos.

Trails for Two - Page 21 20915010

Coffee AND a souvenir. Talk about a win-win!

Trails for Two - Page 21 20992710

The Polk County Courthouse in Dallas, Oregon, presided over the festivities. 

Trails for Two - Page 21 20914410

Yes, we are geeks. Why do you ask?

Trails for Two - Page 21 20953610

During the partial phase of the eclipse, Alec served as an unwitting solar observatory. 

Trails for Two - Page 21 20992510

Totality. I really like this photo, though it doesn't do it justice. 

Ounce, you going to host an eclipse party when the next one passes near you in 2024?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:36 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:The "Woodpecker" sounds like what I call a one-legged deadlift.  If you do enough of them, they'll make your gluteus medius real happy.  

Also, according to your fancy shmancy learn-ed man climate map, you and I once lived in the same climate zone.  What a crock.  Everyone knows it doesn't rain in California.  tongue

Gotta admire Doug's commitment to the joke.

Doug is a professional. Got to respect that.

Yeah, those Woodpeckers are rough. My balance stinks, so I have to hold the wall and think about maintaining control. I noticed when the PT was having me work on them today, I was starting to really feel the burn. 

I think that Koppen-whatchamacallit scale looks more at moisture than rainfall. What western Oregon, Washington and Northern California have in common is that the rain tends to fall in the fall, winter and spring, when we're under more of a marine influence, but dry in the summer when we're under more of a continental influence. Or something like that. 

nkrichards wrote:We got sidetracked talking about the weather and I wanted to go back and take a better look at your exercises. 

We do the clam shells in Pilates...with a rubber band on our knees to make them harder.

We do the prone leg lifts and the side leg lifts but I'm going to try pressing against the wall with my heel...sounds like that will add some burning.

We also do "The Woodpecker" although I think Sara has another name for it.

The sideways lunge sounds...interesting... 
Coach Cherie has me doing reverse lunges instead of forward lunges and I have to do them with a chair in front of my knee to keep my knee over my ankle and I put a slide under the foot that lunges back.  It makes it hard to push off with that back foot when I come back up.  I have to use my glutes to get back up.
Cherie also has me doing single leg squats...again with something to block my knee so that it stays over my ankle...and emphasizes sticking my butt out.  I won't mention the mental image she asks me to use to remind me to do it correctly.

Sounds like slightly different ways to get the same results.

"Interesting" is a good word for it. We went back today, and I graduated to clamshells with an elastic band. I also got a new exercise that required getting one of those big exercise balls. I'm to bridge with my feet on it, then while still bridging dig in my heels and pull the ball in toward my butt. I experienced a giddy sort of pain in my gluteal region when I did it, and boy, did it burn after a while. 

Trails for Two - Page 21 Badbal10

The ball -- I'm naming him "Bad Ball" -- is a little evil. 

I'm doing the side lunge well, which is good, since the PT has determined it's impossible for my feet to allow me to do a standard lunge. Like most physiology professionals, she's fascinated (and slightly horrified) by my feet. 

ounce wrote:Hey, Mark, why do Altra Lone Star 2.0 shoes have such long shoestrings?  That pair I have might could lace up the shoes twice.

God only knows, Ounce. I'd always double-knot mine to take up some of the extra laces. It was either that or run 'em up my ankles like Spartacus.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:39 am

Good photos, Mark.

As far as your Bad Ball, that unibrow could be a the smile on a face above 'Bad Ball.'  Engage your Marks-A-Lot.

Regarding my little story, I'd like to give credit for "Hotter'nell" to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" which I saw 3 weeks ago for the first time in 9 years.  "Whoa, Nellieeeeee" came from retired ABC Sports football broadcaster Keith Jackson as his tag line for a great play.

I am going to try to fly up to Dallas...Texas in 2024 to see the next eclipse.  Only the good Lord knows if I'll actually be there or see it from a heavenly perspective.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:51 pm

Eclipse photos are quite cool.  Not much to see here in western NY state but we will be right in the path in 2024.  

As for the butt/hamstring curls - I do those every time I go to the gym.  They work, so keep up the good work.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:12 pm

ounce wrote:Good photos, Mark.

As far as your Bad Ball, that unibrow could be a the smile on a face above 'Bad Ball.'  Engage your Marks-A-Lot.

Regarding my little story, I'd like to give credit for "Hotter'nell" to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" which I saw 3 weeks ago for the first time in 9 years.  "Whoa, Nellieeeeee" came from retired ABC Sports football broadcaster Keith Jackson as his tag line for a great play.

I am going to try to fly up to Dallas...Texas in 2024 to see the next eclipse.  Only the good Lord knows if I'll actually be there or see it from a heavenly perspective.

Those were good lines, the fact that they were stolen makes it that much better!

I'm thinking you and 2024 will be just fine. Heck, maybe we'll do a Dallas, Oregon, to Dallas, Texas, eclipse chase!

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Eclipse photos are quite cool.  Not much to see here in western NY state but we will be right in the path in 2024.  

As for the butt/hamstring curls - I do those every time I go to the gym.  They work, so keep up the good work.

I've noticed some improvements already, just after doing them in the PT's gym. I even managed to run a little bit over the weekend on the beach, and it didn't hurt. Woot!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:28 pm

I finally got around to doing a full set of my PT exercises yesterday, and wow. What a workout!

I'll do them in the order I did them.

1) Woodpeckers, steadying myself and moving slowly. 2 sets of 30.
2) Bridges on the 65 cm therapy ball. 3 sets of 30? Owie!
3) Bridge-pullbacks on the therapy ball. 3 sets of 30? Wow.
4) Clamshells with therapy band, 3 sets, 40, 30, 20. It was tough getting that last set done.
5) Prone leg lift (working glute max), 1 set of 50. (I was getting tired)
6) Side leg lift. One set of 30 each side. I think.
7) Lateral lunges, both sides, I think two sets of 20? 30?

All these exercises were working the gluteus medius and/or the gluteus maximus, and I've been given instructions to do them until failure. That means these exercises take a lot of time. And since they're working mostly the same muscles, they get tougher as you go.

It's been a day, and I can still feel it. I think I'll alternate on/off for now and see how it goes. My PT would rather I push it and recover than do a middling amount every day and not improve.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:19 am

Mark B wrote:I finally got around to doing a full set of my PT exercises yesterday, and wow. What a workout!

4) Clamshells with therapy band, 3 sets, 40, 30, 20. It was tough getting that last set done.

All these exercises were working the gluteus medius and/or the gluteus maximus, and I've been given instructions to do them until failure. That means these exercises take a lot of time. And since they're working mostly the same muscles, they get tougher as you go.

It's been a day, and I can still feel it. I think I'll alternate on/off for now and see how it goes. My PT would rather I push it and recover than do a middling amount every day and not improve.  

Wow!  That's a workout!!  If that doesn't get those glutes going nothing will.  It will be interesting to see how you feel when you get back into training mode and have those glutes to propel you.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:04 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:I finally got around to doing a full set of my PT exercises yesterday, and wow. What a workout!

Wow!  That's a workout!!  If that doesn't get those glutes going nothing will.  It will be interesting to see how you feel when you get back into training mode and have those glutes to propel you.

You're not kidding! It really gets my HR up, too. And it makes walking afterward feel quite... odd.

This is what I just did this morning. (I found out I didn't need to do the bridging on the ball, just the Swiss curls. Woot!

1) Woodpeckers, steadying myself and moving slowly. 3 sets of 20.
2) Clamshells with therapy band, both sides, 3 sets, 40, 30, 30.
3) Lateral lunges, both sides. 3 sets of 20.
4) Swiss curls (Bridge-pullbacks) on the therapy ball. 3 sets of 30.
5) Prone leg lift (working glute max), 1 set of 50, each side. (Amazingly difficult after doing the previous exercises)
6) Side leg lift. 3 sets of 30 each side.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:33 pm

Any idea when the PT is going to turn you loose to begin serious running again?  I can't wait to see how it goes when you get back to it!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next