365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally Fifty

+3
nkrichards
Mark B
KBFitz
7 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Finally Fifty - Page 4 Empty Re: Finally Fifty

Post  Mark B Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Auburn again? That's where the magic happens! Home of Cardiac!

How's this happening?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Auburn indeed.  Home of Cardiac (but doesn't every trail system worth its salt have a hill named "Cardiac"?), Training Hill/K2, and some bumkin high school where some big race happens or something.

Logistics are as follows: my job is pretty much universally transferable, being an independent contractor.  Sac has a large Deaf/interpreting community and it's where I started my career, so it should be an easy homecoming.  Haley is currently working as a nanny, and with the number of DHH kids in the area, I'm sure she'll find something.  

We're at 90-95% definite now.

---

This week is the first I've put up any sort of "respectable" mileage since my race.  The post-50 blues finally faded about 10 days ago (man, that sucked), and after grinding away at my niggles, I feel confident putting some miles back in the legs.  My paces have been unusually fast at such a low effort level, but I guess that makes sense given my lack of activity and hoarding of glycogen for the last 6 weeks.

M - off
T - 8
W - 10
Th - 5.4

We head to Chattanooga tomorrow through Monday, so I'm hoping to get a few more runs in this week.  I've got the entire week off next week, so I should be able to get some decent mileage in again.  Possibly a mountain hike/run if the weather is okay.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Good to see you're back at it again, Mike. And good to see you at least 95% of the way to returning to the West Coast.

I hear that bumpkin high school track is pretty dead most of the year but very busy for one weekend in the summer. It'd be fun to check out the festivities.

Merry Christmas to you and Haley!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:58 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Auburn indeed.  Home of Cardiac (but doesn't every trail system worth its salt have a hill named "Cardiac"?), Training Hill/K2, and some bumkin high school where some big race happens or something.

Logistics are as follows: my job is pretty much universally transferable, being an independent contractor.  Sac has a large Deaf/interpreting community and it's where I started my career, so it should be an easy homecoming.  Haley is currently working as a nanny, and with the number of DHH kids in the area, I'm sure she'll find something.  

We're at 90-95% definite now.

---

This week is the first I've put up any sort of "respectable" mileage since my race.  The post-50 blues finally faded about 10 days ago (man, that sucked), and after grinding away at my niggles, I feel confident putting some miles back in the legs.  My paces have been unusually fast at such a low effort level, but I guess that makes sense given my lack of activity and hoarding of glycogen for the last 6 weeks.

M - off
T - 8
W - 10
Th - 5.4

We head to Chattanooga tomorrow through Monday, so I'm hoping to get a few more runs in this week.  I've got the entire week off next week, so I should be able to get some decent mileage in again.  Possibly a mountain hike/run if the weather is okay.
Have I mentioned to visit Point Park on Lookout Mountain, while in Chattanooga?  You can either follow the signs for "Ruby Falls", then keep going straight when you reach the turn off for Ruby Falls or you can take the trolley rail ride up the side of Lookout Mountain.

Y'all have a good Christmas.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Hope the move works out for you!

Merry Christmas and Happy running...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Mark - The 3 times I've been there on that certain weekend, it's been pretty incredible and inspiring.  Can't wait til it takes me ~23:59 to get there on that day, though.

Oz - You have, indeed.  Alas, we failed you again.  I've now hit 2 of the 3 Chatt mtns (Raccoon and Signal), but still have Lookout on the to-do list.  

Nancy - Thanks!

---

Chattanooga was nice.  A lot of driving that's left me a bit blahed-out so far this week (we came back Christmas day), but at least I don't work until next Wed.  

8-and-a-bit miles yesterday, 14.4 on trails today.  Easy day tomorrow and a lot of housework (and making my 3rd loaf of sourdough... hoping to continue the trend of improvement).
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:43 pm

I thought I had mentioned it.  Whew!

Question.  How would you recommend a hearing person with no Deaf people around to learn sign language?  Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Drove through Chattanooga on 12/27 and 1/2 both to and from CHQ.  Hope it was fun.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:42 pm

ounce wrote:I thought I had mentioned it.  Whew!

Question.  How would you recommend a hearing person with no Deaf people around to learn sign language?  Thanks.

So I just saw this - apologies for it being weeks after the fact.

Check your local community colleges for classes.  Try to find something that's at least 3 days/week (thought 5/week is better if you can swing it) so you get the constant practice in.  

There are lots of Deaf people in your area - you just have to find them.  Wink  A class will help get you connected.

If that's not an option/you don't want to commit to a specific time/day, check out Bill Vicars website.  He's a Sac State professor who runs a repeatedly-voted-#1 online ASL course/resource/whathaveyou.  I forget if it's free or not, but even if not, the cost is pretty minimal.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4