365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+11
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Dave P
mul21
nkrichards
Mike MacLellan
T Miller
Nick Morris
Tim C
Tom H
mountandog
15 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 31 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  Mark B Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:40 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Yes and three sets with my hands on the ball.  (I worked at it!)

Wow! Can't even visualize that. But I can imagine it'd be a huge strength builder, provided you don't slip and break your nose.

Speaking of noses, I guess this version isn't far behind?

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 31 Sea-li10

Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:08 pm

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Get to work on them - I can do 3 sets of 15 (but I'd be lying if I didn't own up to the fact that I have been working on getting to that level for 3 yrs!)

That's 3 sets of 15 with your feet on an exercise ball? That's impressive. It must work just about every muscle in your body.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Yes and three sets with my hands on the ball.  (I worked at it!)

Wait...do you do these with your hands or your feet on the exercise ball?  Both versions are challenging!  I can't imagine doing even one set of 15 either way.  I'm pretty proud of my progress working up to 2 sets of 15 normal pushups...I'm up to 2 sets of 13.

Here's one that I was able to do at one point in time but I haven't been able to get back to it yet...single leg bridges with your foot on a small red rubber ball rather than on the floor.  I can do 2 sets of 15 with my foot on the floor but haven't attempted them with the ball again yet.  While training for my BQ marathon I was able to do 2 sets of 10.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:01 pm

I use a medium size stability ball and do the pushups both ways - with my toes on the ball and with my hands on the ball.  I cant' use the larger ball as I'm too short and it is too much angle for the one with my toes.  

I also do bridges and single hammie curls with the ball.  

A good place to start for the pushups is with a Bosu.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:10 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I use a medium size stability ball and do the pushups both ways - with my toes on the ball and with my hands on the ball.  I cant' use the larger ball as I'm too short and it is too much angle for the one with my toes.  

I also do bridges and single hammie curls with the ball.  

A good place to start for the pushups is with a Bosu.

I always wanted a Bosu but the darn things never seem to go on sale!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:10 pm

Walk: 3.9 miles (on Sunday)

Weather: Springlike. Sunny and 60° Gear: Altra Instinct 3.5s, street clothes.

We're getting an early taste of spring right now, so it was a great day to be outside Sunday. Alita and I agreed that walk would be the best option, testing out my knee without stressing it too much. It was also the furthest distance in my new Altras. I think they'll work out, but the made some significant changes in the design since the 1.5. They have a higher stack height and feel much more cushy. I hate that. But hopefully that'll go away as I beat the shoes up a bit.

We walked along the Salmon Creek Greenway, stoping to take photos from time to time, but generally moving at a clip that challenged my normal walking pace. Alita's under 5-feet, but she can dust me when she wants to.

I actually felt slightly bonky after the walk, which was weird.

My knee never sparked on me during the walk, though I could feel some tightness in it from time to time. It was a little tight later, but not horribly so. I'm taking that as a good sign.

---

Update: I jogged to and from the mailbox (a few hundred yards total) barefoot, and after a bit of tightness the knee seemed to relax into what I was doing. I kept it very easy and paid attention to how it felt afterward. It got tighter feeling again, so I decided to not push my luck quite yet. Which was tough, because it's a beautiful day. Our high was 63.

Normally, when it's clear this time of year, it's 28° outside. This week, we're getting a taste of spring. I'll take it.

So instead of running, I did some cross training, getting after some outdoor work that had been delayed by weeks and weeks (and weeks and weeks and weeks) of rain. I replaced an outdoor outlet that had been water damaged (gotta love a $2 repair) and then cleaned up the last remaining leaves and generally sprucing up the front yard. I stopped mostly because I ran out of room in the greenwaste bin. So that ought to count for something.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:28 pm

Way to take advantage of the time you aren't able to spend running.  Probably a good choice not to push the knee to quickly but I'm sure it's hard with that kind of weather.  We had a few beautiful days but we're fogged in for the second day in a row.

Enjoy the sunshine!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Sort of a twofer today:

XT - Core, calves and arms

3 x 50 each, each side: clamshells, side leg lifts, leg circles
1 x 50: bridges
1 x 50: heel trusts
1 x 50: heel lifts, both legs
1 x 10: standard push-ups
1 x 30: counter push-ups

---

Walk: 2.6 miles

Weather: Sunny and 57°

It was GORGEOUS out today, so I headed out at lunch hoping to keep active while not pushing the knee too hard. It behaved pretty well (only a few), though I was paying close attention to my form as I walked. That and the blue sky. Wow.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:44 pm

nkrichards wrote:Way to take advantage of the time you aren't able to spend running.  Probably a good choice not to push the knee to quickly but I'm sure it's hard with that kind of weather.  We had a few beautiful days but we're fogged in for the second day in a row.

Enjoy the sunshine!

It was nice getting something accomplished. I also took one of our cars into the shop for a check engine light and exhaust smell in the passenger compartment -- and they fixed it (hose came loose) at no charge. Woot!

I'm trying to be good and working up to running gradually. I'm sure it'll be back to normal just as soon as the giant wet blanket descends on us all again. Very Happy

Sorry about the fog. I didn't realize you got it on that side of the mountains.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:43 pm

I had to look up what a Bosu ball was.  I had no idea that thing was ball side up for most exercises.  I thought it was a wobble board of sorts, so I did a lot of wobble board standing on the flat side.  It seemed so easy, I fetched a 15 pound slam ball to make it more of a challenge.

I know I need to work on upper body strength and I am working on that.  I'm up to 1 set of 10 knee-push ups.

As far as Whole Earth Provision from last week, I've never been in one and I've only been in a Whole Foods twice.  So, when I saw "Whole", I presumed it was Whole Foods.  "We regret the error."
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:48 pm

ounce wrote:I had to look up what a Bosu ball was.  I had no idea that thing was ball side up for most exercises.  I thought it was a wobble board of sorts, so I did a lot of wobble board standing on the flat side.  It seemed so easy, I fetched a 15 pound slam ball to make it more of a challenge.

I know I need to work on upper body strength and I am working on that.  I'm up to 1 set of 10 knee-push ups.

As far as Whole Earth Provision from last week, I've never been in one and I've only been in a Whole Foods twice.  So, when I saw "Whole", I presumed it was Whole Foods.  "We regret the error."

When I was doing PT one time, I used a Bosu ball-side down as a huge wobble board. Except it wasn't so easy, especially on one leg. My legs were shaking by the time I got done.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:48 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:I had to look up what a Bosu ball was.  I had no idea that thing was ball side up for most exercises.  I thought it was a wobble board of sorts, so I did a lot of wobble board standing on the flat side.  It seemed so easy, I fetched a 15 pound slam ball to make it more of a challenge.

When I was doing PT one time, I used a Bosu ball-side down as a huge wobble board. Except it wasn't so easy, especially on one leg. My legs were shaking by the time I got done.
Hmmm.  Thanks for the idea.  Somewhat separately, I'm amazed at how many tricks up a PT's sleeve there are for the same basic exercise, once mastered, to make it tougher again.  'Yeah, I can balance on one leg with the softest foam underneath for 2 minutes."  The PT replied, "Okay, let's try bouncing this big ball at or around you, while on one leg, bucko."
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:31 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Hmmm.  Thanks for the idea.  Somewhat separately, I'm amazed at how many tricks up a PT's sleeve there are for the same basic exercise, once mastered, to make it tougher again.  'Yeah, I can balance on one leg with the softest foam underneath for 2 minutes."  The PT replied, "Okay, let's try bouncing this big ball at or around you, while on one leg, bucko."

And then, finally, "Okay, solid on that. Now close your eyes."

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:54 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

And then, finally, "Okay, solid on that. Now close your eyes."

Ooooh, yeah.  Forgot about that one.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:05 pm

Back to it! Hopefully.

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles

Weather: Very rainy, at first. 49° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, jacket, hat. Got thoroughly soaked. Smile

It's been 11 days since my knee sparked on me, and it's been feeling progressively less tight, so I decided to test it out today with a barefoot run. I wanted nothing interfering with my form, including my new shoes. It was time for a reset.

It was also time, apparently, for a heavy rain shower. Glub! Rainiest run I've had in quite a while.

I did laps in the neighborhood like usual, giving myself the chance to pull the plug if a problem arose. None did.

Paces were about 11/mi, with a HR close to my target the whole time. All in all, encouraging.

Average HR for entire run: 138

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:06 pm

Mark B wrote:Back to it! Hopefully.

Weather: Very rainy, at first. 49° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, jacket, hat. Got thoroughly soaked. Smile

It's been 11 days since my knee sparked on me, and it's been feeling progressively less tight, so I decided to test it out today with a barefoot run. I wanted nothing interfering with my form, including my new shoes. It was time for a reset.

It was also time, apparently, for a heavy rain shower. Glub! Rainiest run I've had in quite a while.

I did laps in the neighborhood like usual, giving myself the chance to pull the plug if a problem arose. None did.

Paces were about 11/mi, with a HR close to my target the whole time. All in all, encouraging.

Yeehaw!!!!  (It's getting to be rodeo time around these parts.)

Ride
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:19 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Back to it! Hopefully.

Yeehaw!!!!  (It's getting to be rodeo time around these parts.)

Ride

Yup! My knee felt a little weird a few times today, but I jogged around the lunchroom at work in my new shoes and everything seemed fine (though turning left was much easier than turning right). Not ready for broken-field running, I suppose, but getting there. I'll keep erring on the side of caution and let whatever got tweaked to keep healing.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:56 pm

Trails: 3.2 miles walking with Alita

Weather: Balmy and dry, though muddy underfoot. 57° Gear: Lone Peaks

A nice day, and a day off for Alita, so we went out to test my knee in the forest. It's been doing okay on regular surfaces, so it was time to see how it handled adjusting to a different angle/slope every step, with varying degrees of muddiness.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 31 12671810

In short, it was a total success. I could feel it a little after an hour of walking, but not much. After the fact, it's not bugging me. So I'd say the healing is continuing nicely.

It was a nice day to be out in the woods. It's unusually warm for February, so we needed only a sweatshirt and didn't even really need that as we hiked up the hilly bits. The trail was muddier than it has been -- it must be getting more traffic, and feeling the impact of this wet winter we've been having. Even so, the shoe-sucking bogs of yore have been vanquished. Woot!

The conditions were even nice enough to experiment with puddle reflections. Smile

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 31 Mudtre10

Alita had a good time out there, too. This is great early practice for her six-hour run, and a great chance for us to slip off into the woods together. Which is always a good thing.

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 31 88361110

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:19 am

Awwww, maybe y'all need to, uh, bring a blanket!

You know, looking at that mud, just add some corn and celery and it looks like beef stew.

Easy on the knee, young man.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:13 am

ounce wrote:Awwww, maybe y'all need to, uh, bring a blanket!

You know, looking at that mud, just add some corn and celery and it looks like beef stew.

Easy on the knee, young man.

Funny you mention the blanket, Ounce, because we were joking about that as we were walking through the woods. It has enough private areas where nobody would ever know... Smile

That mud is also enhanced with a special leavening agent (horse poo) that gives it a very tasty appearance.

I'll be good. Though walking on the uneven terrain actually felt better than walking on perfectly flat (and hard) surfaces. Go figure.

The knee is fine today. So that's nice.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:43 pm

Walk: 3 miles

Weather: Overcast, mild. 53°

A lunchtime walk along the Columbia River. My ankles and feet were a little sore from yesterday (which is weird), so I tried to focus on staying as relaxed as possible. My knee didn't give me any trouble. cheers

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:34 pm

Mark B wrote:Walk: 3 miles

A lunchtime walk along the Columbia River. My ankles and feet were a little sore from yesterday (which is weird), so I tried to focus on staying as relaxed as possible. My knee didn't give me any trouble. cheers
One step forward, two steps backward.  Are you playing like Trump for doubling down when he screws up?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:39 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:Walk: 3 miles

One step forward, two steps backward.  Are you playing like Trump for doubling down when he screws up?

Are you suggesting that walking with slightly sore feet was a bad idea? I was planning on only doing XT tomorrow, so that'll let things recover. Good enough?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:12 pm

I hope that you realize how lucky you are to be able to share your walks/runs with Alita!  What an enjoyable and healthy way to spend time together.

Enjoy the mud...and take care of that knee.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:07 pm

nkrichards wrote:I hope that you realize how lucky you are to be able to share your walks/runs with Alita!  What an enjoyable and healthy way to spend time together.

Enjoy the mud...and take care of that knee.

Thanks, Nancy! It's wonderful being able to do things like this together. We're trying to make it a habit, and having that forest so close to our house sure helps.

My knee seems to be doing fine at this point, but my feet were oddly sore. Not entirely sure why. Might be related in some way, but who knows? It might just be building strength. It'd be okay with that. Smile

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Core work day:

1 x 50 each, each side: clamshells, side leg lifts, leg circles
1 x 50 bridges
1 x Plank, about 60 seconds

Also some hip stretches. I'd stopped doing them after being told I had hypermobile joints. Not sure if it was a benefit or detriment to stop. I'm experimenting to see how it feels to be a little less tight in the hips.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next