365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sliding toward my goals...

5 posters

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

Sliding toward my goals... - Page 3 Empty Re: Sliding toward my goals...

Post  nkrichards Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:30 am

ounce wrote:Well, the 50K idea was just perception.  The last one I did, i ran 10 miles and walked the rest.

That's really cool on your ski lessons and your score tootsie.  Going from just skiing to CC sking in 1 lesson is very nice.

As far as Houston, it's not tough to get into at all.  
Will keep Houston in the maybe list...it will be a couple years before I'm ready.
Mark B wrote:Ooo! Cross country skiing after downhill lessons? That's a daring thing to attempt. Glad you didn't pull something when you did that butt-plant! 

I hacked around the mountain for years before taking lessons, and I was amazed at how much easier it made skiing -- and how much more fun. I'm glad you're getting a chance to experience it now.

Cross country is a totally different animal. I did it a little. Flat and uphill isn't bad. Downhill is tricky, since all the things they tell you for downhill skiing pretty much doesn't apply. Whee!
I'm still moving around very gingerly.  Not sure exactly what I did but it still hurts...a lot!!  It doesn't feel like I cracked my tailbone or anything like that.  And there isn't any bruising.  It's actually above the tailbone area.  It isn't sore to the touch but it hurts when I stand up, bend over, or move in certain ways so I'm assuming it's muscle related.  I fell back and didn't get my hands back in time to break my fall so landed hard!  Still taking it easy and hoping I can get back up to the mountain again next week.

The cross country downhill was definitely the tricky part.  The wedge just doesn't slow me down like it does with downhill.  The edges don't grab.  I do OK if I am just going straight but I can't get the turning while going down a hill down at all!!  Good think I have a couple more months to prepare.  I don't have any time goals at all.  I just want to finish safely and not get in the way of the other racers.

No activity since my day on the mountain on Tuesday.  Our taxes are due on Monday...early deadline for farmers in exchange for not having to make estimated payments...  Our K1s arrived so I'll try to work on the taxes today.  

I have tickets to take Izzy...13 year old granddaughter...to a Harry Potter symphony at the Schnitzer in Portland on Saturday.  We're going to meet Katie downtown.  Marty worked on the Schnitzer remodel years ago when he was working as a carpenter in Portland.  The women's rest room is the most impressive area to see.   Laughing

Taxes...ugh
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:41 pm

I would certainly take an earlier filing in exchange for no estimated payments during the year.

Rest the heiny. Maybe get, uh, someone you know to massage the area.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:23 am

ounce wrote:I would certainly take an earlier filing in exchange for no estimated payments during the year.

Rest the heiny.  Maybe get, uh, someone you know to massage the area.
Good start on the tax prep before I headed over to Portland for the Harry Potter Symphony with Izzy and Katie.  It was an interesting...and fun...day.  Izzy and I rode MAX in to Portland.  Partially so I wouldn't have to drive and park but also because I thought it would be a good experience for Izzy.  The ride in was uneventful.  The ride home in the dark was educational for Izzy.  We both commented that we would not have been comfortable if we were by ourselves.  The event was well done.  Izzy enjoyed it.  She commented that her goal was to someday play her violin on that stage.  Good for her!  She started violin lessons last month...and we're a very conservative, math & science family so expressing an interest in the arts is a big step for her!  She was impressed by the Schnitzer...and enjoyed the stories Marty shared about helping to remodel it over 30 years ago.

Tax Prep...we're suffering the consequences of receiving a large, unexpected payment late in December.  We didn't have time to react and spend a corresponding sum of money.  Writing our checks is going to be a painful experience this year!  No estimated payments is great until you have to write a check for the lump sum...including both the employee and employer portion of unemployment taxes.  OUCH!

Another rest day was nice but I'm getting restless.  I'm still not pain free but I do feel like I'm improving...slowly.  I can squat with no pain but boy bending at the waist and stretching that area is still painful.  Family and taxes will fill the day today but I'm hoping I can get some activity in tomorrow.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:21 pm

Ouch, indeed! I shudder to think what your tax bite is going to be. (We lucked out with college costs and actually got a refund for the first time in a very long time.)

The Schnitz is a great venue. I think it'd be fabulous to someday see Izzy performing there. And you know what? There are enough math and science people out there... the world needs artists, too! 

That Marty took part in the restoration is a very nice bit of family connection to the place. 

I'm glad your tukus is on the mend. I'm betting you have some sort of deep bruising or something going on. I'd suggest against riding a horse at canter for a while. But some easy activity might be a good idea about now. How about some easy swimming?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:53 pm

So, I guess dating a check 12/31 to a supplier isn't good enough for Oregon?  They actually want it cashed by 12/31?  That sucks. 

It'll be wonderful to follow Izzy's progress on the violin.  It'll REALLY be wonderful if she can play the Orange Blossom Special on the fiddle!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:59 pm

Mark B wrote:Ouch, indeed! I shudder to think what your tax bite is going to be. (We lucked out with college costs and actually got a refund for the first time in a very long time.)

The Schnitz is a great venue. I think it'd be fabulous to someday see Izzy performing there. And you know what? There are enough math and science people out there... the world needs artists, too! 

That Marty took part in the restoration is a very nice bit of family connection to the place. 

I'm glad your tukus is on the mend. I'm betting you have some sort of deep bruising or something going on. I'd suggest against riding a horse at canter for a while. But some easy activity might be a good idea about now. How about some easy swimming?
I think it's awesome that Izzy is willing to experiment with the arts in the midst of such a math/science environment.  Good for her!  Cathy, my Australian friend that I often hike with, is very artsy and also a professional historian.  I love to travel with her as I get to experience all kinds of things that I would never think to try.  Katie and I showed up in New York City to spend a long weekend with her and she informed us that she had tickets to Madame Butterfly at the Opera and tickets to a percussion ensemble at the Julliard School of Music.  Fantastic experiences!
ounce wrote:So, I guess dating a check 12/31 to a supplier isn't good enough for Oregon?  They actually want it cashed by 12/31?  That sucks. 

It'll be wonderful to follow Izzy's progress on the violin.  It'll REALLY be wonderful if she can play the Orange Blossom Special on the fiddle!
Yes, checks dated 12/31 work.  I paid everything that I could before the end of the year but it was a pretty big check.  We needed to make a major purchase and didn't have time to complete it before the end of the year.  Kevin and Marty have already taken care of major purchases for this year!!

Izzy's sisters just cringe when I mention the violin.  I just think it's awesome that she's willing to put her goals out there.

Marty has been anxious to get back to our morning workouts so we gave it a try this morning.  I had to be cautious and modify the movements that caused to much pain but I think it was good to start getting back at it.  Didn't seem to make it any worse.

Then I met Janice at the pool.  She's been away for 2 weeks so was excited to get back to swimming but happy with 1600 yards.  We kept it at a moderate effort.  I could feel it but it wasn't what I would really call painful.  

OK...I have to get these taxes postmarked today...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:37 pm

Well, maybe you can get some of it back at the end of this year.  Sticking with the violin might be a life altering event for Izzy.  Have a washcloth ready for her sisters, should egg need to be wiped off.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:47 pm

Izzy played Hot Cross Buns for us.  She was quite pleased that we wanted to hear.  Very Happy  It wasn't perfect but the tune was definitely recognizable and considering she has only been playing for a month I was quite impressed.  Unfortunately she doesn't know how to read the notes yet.  She plays by reading the letter of the note which is written underneath each note.  I'm quite surprise her teacher doesn't insist that she learn to read the notes properly.

Worked out with Marty again Tuesday morning.  Swam on Wednesday and again this morning.  We got in 2000 yards this morning.  Janice and I were both quite pleased.

Skiing on Thursday.  My instructor took me down the run that they use for the race.  I fell once but made it.  I had slightly different skis as I realized I can lease them for the rest of the season for half the price of daily rentals.  I was very tentative...maybe the skis, maybe I was worried about how my bum would hold up (I could feel it but it didn't get any worse.), maybe the conditions.  It was quite icy and fast early and then mushy when it warmed up.  Anyway tentative is not good as I sat back a bit when I got in trouble which created more problems.  I know what I need to do and I have over 2 months to keep practicing.  I was exhausted by the end of my lesson and the conditions were deteriorating quickly so I opted to skip cross country and headed home.  Hope to get a bit of time doing both next week.

Looking at the clouds and hoping we get some rain.  It's been an extremely dry winter and the irrigation water situation does not look good!

I haven't been out for a run since my half...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:21 am

Maybe the musical notes are treated as a different language, so the alphabet helps the transition.

I like the paragraph on the skiing.  So how do today's conditions reconcile with the conditions for the race 2 months from now?  Would seem to be warmer and mushier then, unless the race starts early enough that mushy isn't a factor.  Keep at it, though.  Tentativeness will subside and just think of the younger set you'll be passing because they haven't used skis in X years, but shouldn't be a problem because they know better.

With regard to the rest of your activities, I think you used the word 'decathlon' to describe the breadth of activities.  It's apropos.  Maybe even a zipper. Suspect   It's early here.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:55 pm

ounce wrote:Maybe the musical notes are treated as a different language, so the alphabet helps the transition.

I like the paragraph on the skiing.  So how do today's conditions reconcile with the conditions for the race 2 months from now?  Would seem to be warmer and mushier then, unless the race starts early enough that mushy isn't a factor.  Keep at it, though.  Tentativeness will subside and just think of the younger set you'll be passing because they haven't used skis in X years, but shouldn't be a problem because they know better.

With regard to the rest of your activities, I think you used the word 'decathlon' to describe the breadth of activities.  It's apropos.  Maybe even a zipper. Suspect   It's early here.
I just like Izzy's independent attitude...even if she decides that the violin is not interesting in the long run.  I give her credit for trying.

So conditions on race day have been blowing snow...so warm that they had to cancel the cross country skiing due to lack of snow and everywhere in between.  You never know what Spring in Central Oregon will bring.  Right now we're in moderate drought conditions and experiencing very cold nights but warm, sunny days so the snow pack is diminishing quickly.  I need to be prepared...and willing...to try and ski in whatever conditions the day brings.

No time goals here.  Fortunately the individual women start early in the day which should bring better conditions and also more time to finish as I can finish with the teams and pairs.  Just hoping to make it a fun event.

Morning workout with Marty today and a nice swim.  I need to get out and run...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:57 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Maybe the musical notes are treated as a different language, so the alphabet helps the transition.

I just like Izzy's independent attitude...even if she decides that the violin is not interesting in the long run.  I give her credit for trying.

So conditions on race day have been blowing snow...so warm that they had to cancel the cross country skiing due to lack of snow and everywhere in between.  You never know what Spring in Central Oregon will bring.  Right now we're in moderate drought conditions and experiencing very cold nights but warm, sunny days so the snow pack is diminishing quickly.  I need to be prepared...and willing...to try and ski in whatever conditions the day brings.

No time goals here.  Fortunately the individual women start early in the day which should bring better conditions and also more time to finish as I can finish with the teams and pairs.  Just hoping to make it a fun event.

Morning workout with Marty today and a nice swim.  I need to get out and run...
I love curiosity in someone.  It means that they're thinking, not necessarily accepting all of the visual or the heard, etc as the only way.

AS far as race day conditions, at least you'll have a good idea a few weeks prior as to how the snow density is.

You take care.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:27 am

I'm excited for Izzy. Tell her sibs that people who do music often do very well in mathematics and other types of analytical thinking. Learning to think in another language - and that's what music really is, and it's a universal language, at that - creates different pathways in the brain crucial to higher brain development. 

Writing the notes as letters is interesting. We saw that when they were teaching the recorder, but not beyond that. They were firm on teaching how to read the music on the page. They did so well that Alec can sight read very well, and even though he has near perfect-pitch and can play back any note played for him, he can't say exactly which note he's playing. He just plays it. Maybe reinforcing the name of the note as well as its position on the staff is a teaching technique to get the ear and eye and memory aligned?

Snow conditions this year are dicey, and where you're skiing (Mount Bachelor, right?) is notorious for icy conditions. It's tricky enough on downhill skis - yes, leaning back is a very bad idea on ice. You take off like a rocket. But on XC skis without sharpened edges, it's even trickier. I'd suggest asking your instructor to practice falling on XC skis so you can train your body to land on your hip rather than your backside. It's safer that way.

How's the time change affect you? I know it's going to be rough on the first couple of walks to school once Alita gets better, since it's going to be dark again. Maybe farmers pay more attention to the light than the clock, though?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:55 pm

Sorry for the short disappearance.  We made an unexpected trip to southern California to pickup up a forklift that Kevin purchased.  I got home from swimming on Thursday and Marty was ready to go...the plans were made while I was at the pool.  We had limited time and access to the news while away and boy did things change during our 3 days on the road.  And so did the weather.  We spent the last night in Mt. Shasta and drove the rest of the way home in challenging conditions.  We did make it safely and before the worst of the snow arrived.

So we're home.  Natalie is trying to keep the kids occupied but turned down our offer to help for a few hours...puzzling...then we realized that we spent the previous 3 days sleeping in hotels, eating in restaurants, and using public restrooms.  Yes, we were careful but...  I'm guessing she'll want to wait at least a week before we interact with the kids.  Kevin has been interacting with us as needed to keep the farm functioning but there isn't much going on because of the snow.  We were scheduled to start planting carrots tomorrow.  We've delayed the start date to Thursday or Friday based on the weather.  Will we be able to put together the crew we need...20 people...  More importantly should we???

So looks like the PPP won't happen for me until next year.  It hasn't been cancelled...yet...but I can't prepare with Mt Bachelor closed.  It was going to be borderline trying to prepare as it was.  Now that I have the extra time I'll make sure I run the course at least once.  And I'll bike down the mountain at least once.  And I'll get in some kayaking practice while the weather is warmer.  Then I'll get an early start on the mountain next winter.  I'm realizing that preparing for the cross country portion may be as challenging as the downhill portion so the extra time won't be a bad thing.  

Speaking of skiing...I headed up the mountain on Wednesday.  After a warm up run on the bunny hill I headed up Sunrise.  I managed to get down Marshmallow 3 times without falling so I decided to try my luck on an intermediate run before transitioning to cross country.  I made it!  It's not quite as difficult as the run that they use for the race but it's good practice while I build my confidence.  I wanted to transition to cross country before I got to tired and before it got to warm.  I had a quick snack and headed out on my own.  I made it around the beginners loop...falling twice...but I progressed farther than last time.  Even though I was getting tired I headed out around the loop again...and made it without falling.  But it was excruciatingly slow!!  It took me an hour to go just over 2 miles.  The race course is 5 miles...on more difficult terrain.  But...I did make progress and other than a bump on my cheek and a sore thumb I survived intact.

So...our calendar is quickly clearing out as we delete events/meetings that have been cancelled.  We had a big family dinner planned later this month...our traditional Pork Chop Day.  We'll postpone as we don't want to bring our Mom's over and expose them to all of us.  I've got lots of office type work that will keep me occupied.

The mountain is shut down.  The pool finally made the decision to shut down earlier today but I had already decided to stay away.  It's to cold and snowy to run or bike but that will quickly change.  Both Marty and I have been feeling a bit poorly...nothing serious...just enough to take away our motivation to do our morning workouts.  Hope to change that in the morning.  I need to figure out how to get back to being active if I'm going to get through this feeling good!  I've stumbled a bit this year.  Time to turn that around.

And life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:18 am

Wow, tough decision to hire 20 or not.  I'll guess you hired the 20 and figured that you had to do it because just y'all doing it would take longer than you have time.  Plus the loss of revenue would be tough to make up.  Probably not as difficult to initiate social distancing as you would think.  Good luck.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:30 pm

So we started planting carrots this morning.  This is not something we can do ourselves.  It takes a minimum of 10 workers per planter and we're running 2 planters.  We're doing our best to encourage the workers to keep their distance during breaks...not possible when they are sitting on the carrot planter.  We're also providing lots of soap & water, hand sanitizer, prepacked snacks (granola bars) instead of a box of donuts, and bottled water.  We set up a second toilet for them and have a spray bottle of bleach mix to squirt it down on a regular basis.  We're trying to keep our distance as best as we can and washing frequently.  

We now use a crew provided by the seed company as it's become to difficult/impossible to find adequate labor in the area.  The crew was sitting in Madras waiting to go to work so it was decided that we should proceed.  It was also mentioned that half the world's carrot seed (and 80% of the US carrot seed) is produced in the Madras area.  If we don't produce this crop of carrot seed there will be a future shortage...not this growing season but definitely the next.  There is just not enough capacity to produce the seed later...or in another area.  It's the result of society's decision to specialize and not to keep any excess product in stock.

The first day is always tough and today was especially hard as we had some trouble with the GPS units on two of the tractors.  It's vital that we use the auto steer as every thing we do in the field going forward is based on having those carrot rows straight and an appropriate distance apart.  Kevin figured out a way to improvise today and we have a specialist coming tomorrow.  We'll limp through for now.

Corona virus update.  The dentist cancelled our appointments next week.  My colonoscopy next month has been postponed.  Currently no confirmed cases in Madras/Jefferson County but there are a few in Deschutes County which isn't far away and there is a lot of commerce between the two counties.  I think I heard that they had 1 death in Deschutes County.  It will come to our area eventually.

So...yesterday Marty and I got up early and tried a sample Barre Blend workout.  Not overly excited about this program.  

Later in the afternoon I took a deep breath, laced up my shoes, and headed out for a run. 3 miles @12:48  HR 151  Shocked  Boy do I have some work to do!!  It didn't feel terribly hard although my body did wonder what in the world I was doing as the run progressed.  I kept slowing in an effort to keep the HR low...no success.
12:22 HR 140
12:56 HR 154
13:07 HR 158

This morning we got up early for a sample 10 Rounds workout.  This involves boxing  Question, weights, cardio, and core work with our favorite Beachbody coach.  It was interesting and actually kind of fun.  The full program isn't available yet and we won't have time to workout while we're planting carrots so have time to decide what we want to do moving forward.

I'm hoping to head out for another short run later today.  I've been getting phone calls every few minutes to help with carrot planting so I don't want to take off until I'm sure I won't be needed.  Pretty sore today so if I had to miss today it might actually be for the best.

Feels good to be active again.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:24 pm

Thanks for the explanation on the carrot seed.  So Madras isn't just where the 2017 eclipse happened!  Hope the 2nd day goes better.

On your run, yeah, I understand.  I'd say your heart wasn't prepared for 3 miles and hoped you would stop at 2.  By the 3rd run, my guess would be you'll see better times for the same 3 miles. 

You're doing a good job on your decathlon.

Our Covid-19 data looks like
41 counties out of 254 have at least 1 case.
260 cases, 5 deaths.
Dallas County is showing 74 cases
Harris County (Houston) has 44 cases with another 45 cases in the counties within 100 miles of Houston
Travis County (Austin) has 41 cases
Bexar County (San Antonio) has 29 cases
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:02 pm

So...3 miles on Friday @ 12:28 HR 151
12:06 HR 143
12:36 HR 155
12:43 HR 155

Even though this run was probably to fast to be considered "responsible" I'm going to call it an improvement.  Same HR.  Slightly faster than Wednesday.  Probably good that I didn't have time to run Thursday.  I'll probably skip today as carrot planting is going well but is still very hectic and I need to help.  And I'm definitely feeling the effects of running on my body after such a long layoff.  Nothing serious...just needing a bit more recovery time and don't want to overdo it.

Natalie isn't allowing us to have any contact with the kids.  In fact the only outside contact she/the kids are having is with Kevin.  She says it's to protect us but I'm sure she's nervous about us infecting the kids as well.  And that's fine.  I applaud her as it can't be easy with 5 kids and Kevin working long hours.  

So...yesterday she took the kids for a walk and they were on the road near where we're planting carrots.  I finished up and was walking back to my ATV to head in and fix dinner.  I passed nearby.  Owen, age 7,  looked up and hollered at me...then turned to Natalie and asked if he could give me a hug.  I didn't give her time to respond but quickly offered a high five and fist bump from a distance.  We all laughed and Owen offered a long distance hug as well.  We chatted from a distance and carried on...

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:46 pm

nkrichards wrote:So...3 miles on Friday @ 12:28 HR 151
12:06 HR 143

Even though this run was probably to fast to be considered "responsible" I'm going to call it an improvement.  Same HR.  Slightly faster than Wednesday.  Probably good that I didn't have time to run Thursday.  I'll probably skip today as carrot planting is going well but is still very hectic and I need to help.  And I'm definitely feeling the effects of running on my body after such a long layoff.  Nothing serious...just needing a bit more recovery time and don't want to overdo it.

Natalie isn't allowing us to have any contact with the kids.  In fact the only outside contact she/the kids are having is with Kevin.  She says it's to protect us but I'm sure she's nervous about us infecting the kids as well.  And that's fine.  I applaud her as it can't be easy with 5 kids and Kevin working long hours.  

So...yesterday she took the kids for a walk and they were on the road near where we're planting carrots.  I finished up and was walking back to my ATV to head in and fix dinner.  I passed nearby.  Owen, age 7,  looked up and hollered at me...then turned to Natalie and asked if he could give me a hug.  I didn't give her time to respond but quickly offered a high five and fist bump from a distance.  We all laughed and Owen offered a long distance hug as well.  We chatted from a distance and carried on...

Life goes on...
Well, a girl has to do what a girl has to do.  I think cattle prodding the body, every once in a while, is good for them to wake up and get with the program.  There's probably some metabolic reaction that Mark has never taught us that starts the manufacturing of arteries, veins, muscle cells, and hair follicles (that part hasn't worked on me) for pushing the body. 

Natalie has the right idea.  You, as a mom, would know how Natalie would feel if ANY of the tribe gets sick.  The only time you want to hear "What's Up, Doc?" is about those carrots.

Good splits on the 3, too.  Back to the fields!  Did the GPS tech fix the GPS or would it not reproduce the issue?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:22 pm

ounce wrote:
Natalie has the right idea.  You, as a mom, would know how Natalie would feel if ANY of the tribe gets sick.  The only time you want to hear "What's Up, Doc?" is about those carrots.

Good splits on the 3, too.  Back to the fields!  Did the GPS tech fix the GPS or would it not reproduce the issue?
I think that getting back into a running routine is a mental challenge as much or more than a physical challenge...at least this go round.  I was pretty stoked with my performance at my half in February and I would have expected to be energized and excited about running but for some reason I've really struggled.  I'm going to blame it on the amount of time along with mental and physical energy I was investing in skiing.  Who knows.  I'll get there.

So...I wasn't able to run over the weekend but did sneak in 3 miles yesterday before heading to the field.  
3 miles @ 11:56 HR 146
11:59 HR 139
12:14 HR 147
11:32 HR 153

Slight improvement in both pace and HR.   Smile

I have nothing but admiration for Natalie's determination to protect her family.  She and the kids have not had contact with anyone other than Kevin since the boys got home from school on Friday the 13th.  She's finding activities to occupy 3 active boys and take care of the twins while Kevin is working 12+ hours per day.  Social activity has always been a priority for Natalie so I'm especially impressed with her dedication.

Kevin resolved the GPS situation at least for the time being.  He spent most of that first day on the phone with the experts and they were able to diagnose and resolve the problem and get us back up and going.  We were fortunate that another farmer in the area had some extra parts that we were able to borrow.  We did learn that the set ups in each of our tractors were different and not interchangeable.  Kevin learned a lot!  We'll be upgrading once carrot planting is finished.

Some fun details about the auto steer systems that we use.  Some of the tractors get the GPS signal via cell phone.  Some via a tower that must be in the line of sight.  Most of our systems are sub inch but we do have one that we only use for cultivation that is a bit less accurate...and that's OK.  So...Kevin can transfer information between the units in the tractor so that every tractor is on the identical line as it moves across the field.  This is vital for things like the carrots where we do multiple tasks with multiple tractors over the growing season and each task requires us to follow the same path that the carrot planter followed.  The units do not turn the tractor around at the end of the field.  A driver must slow down, pick up the implement, and stop and/or turn at the end of the row.  The driver must then manually steer the tractor to the next line with the help of a screen that shows the location of the tractor and the lines which are laid out to be a set distance apart and at the chosen angle (usually parallel with the edge of the field but not always).  Once the tractor is close to the correct line the driver engages the auto steer and it takes over.  Here's the interesting part.  You can watch the tractor move across the screen and it marks the rows as they are completed.  It also flashes a warning and a buzzer goes off when you near the end of the row...based on where you stopped and turned last time.  This is to make sure you're paying attention and not playing on your cell phone.  And...this is even funnier.  After a set time a "driver alive" warning goes off.  This it to make sure that the driver has not fallen asleep at the wheel.  Not sure what happens if you don't indicate you are actually alive...I've never tried it.

Looks like I have enough time for a short run before I head to the field to roll down the carrots they planted this morning...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:53 am

So here's my return to running progress.

Wed March 18
3 mi @ 12:48 HR 151

Fri March 20
3 mi @ 12:28 HR 151
12:00 HR 143

Mon March 23
3 mi @ 11:56 HR 146

Tue March 24
3 mi @ 11:46 HR 153
11:50 HR 151
11:59 HR 149 Paused/walked to take a brief phone call
11:29 HR 157

Wed March 25
3 mi @ 11:34 HR 155
11:35 HR 153
11:39 HR 156 Phone call again!
11:27 HR 155

So...I feel like during the first 3 runs I was making reasonable progress getting to a slightly faster pace while keeping my HR at a relatively reasonable level.  Yes, my HR was probably a bit higher than desirable but it was better than I've done in the past.  Baby steps.

Then during the last two runs I got calls with requests for my help with carrot planting.  I was already running to fast and responded to the calls by running even faster.  But all things considered still not a terrible HR.  During both those runs I briefly considered running 4 miles but that wasn't an option after I received the calls...probably not a good idea yet anyway.  

I have a bit more time today and shouldn't get interrupted by a phone call.  The question is do I use that time to run again...I just ran three days in a row.  If I do run should I add a mile?  Should I use the time to rest and recover.  I'll let you know what I decide...

Life goes on...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:35 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

I think that getting back into a running routine is a mental challenge as much or more than a physical challenge...at least this go round.  I was pretty stoked with my performance at my half in February and I would have expected to be energized and excited about running but for some reason I've really struggled.  I'm going to blame it on the amount of time along with mental and physical energy I was investing in skiing.  Who knows.  I'll get there.

So...I wasn't able to run over the weekend but did sneak in 3 miles yesterday before heading to the field.  
3 miles @ 11:56 HR 146

Slight improvement in both pace and HR.   Smile

I have nothing but admiration for Natalie's determination to protect her family.  She and the kids have not had contact with anyone other than Kevin since the boys got home from school on Friday the 13th.  She's finding activities to occupy 3 active boys and take care of the twins while Kevin is working 12+ hours per day.  Social activity has always been a priority for Natalie so I'm especially impressed with her dedication.

Kevin resolved the GPS situation at least for the time being.  He spent most of that first day on the phone with the experts and they were able to diagnose and resolve the problem and get us back up and going.  We were fortunate that another farmer in the area had some extra parts that we were able to borrow.  We did learn that the set ups in each of our tractors were different and not interchangeable.  Kevin learned a lot!  We'll be upgrading once carrot planting is finished.

Some fun details about the auto steer systems that we use.  Some of the tractors get the GPS signal via cell phone.  Some via a tower that must be in the line of sight.  Most of our systems are sub inch but we do have one that we only use for cultivation that is a bit less accurate...and that's OK.  So...Kevin can transfer information between the units in the tractor so that every tractor is on the identical line as it moves across the field.  This is vital for things like the carrots where we do multiple tasks with multiple tractors over the growing season and each task requires us to follow the same path that the carrot planter followed.  The units do not turn the tractor around at the end of the field.  A driver must slow down, pick up the implement, and stop and/or turn at the end of the row.  The driver must then manually steer the tractor to the next line with the help of a screen that shows the location of the tractor and the lines which are laid out to be a set distance apart and at the chosen angle (usually parallel with the edge of the field but not always).  Once the tractor is close to the correct line the driver engages the auto steer and it takes over.  Here's the interesting part.  You can watch the tractor move across the screen and it marks the rows as they are completed.  It also flashes a warning and a buzzer goes off when you near the end of the row...based on where you stopped and turned last time.  This is to make sure you're paying attention and not playing on your cell phone.  And...this is even funnier.  After a set time a "driver alive" warning goes off.  This it to make sure that the driver has not fallen asleep at the wheel.  Not sure what happens if you don't indicate you are actually alive...I've never tried it.

Looks like I have enough time for a short run before I head to the field to roll down the carrots they planted this morning...
Re:  Running....you don't have a goal race.

Re:  Natalie...mama bear.

Re:  Tractor...That is a grown up toy!  Guess an electrical shock under the seat would be appropriate.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:56 pm

nkrichards wrote:So here's my return to running progress.

Wed March 18
3 mi @ 12:48 HR 151

Fri March 20
3 mi @ 12:28 HR 151
12:00 HR 143

Mon March 23
3 mi @ 11:56 HR 146

Tue March 24
3 mi @ 11:46 HR 153
11:50 HR 151
11:59 HR 149 Paused/walked to take a brief phone call
11:29 HR 157

Wed March 25
3 mi @ 11:34 HR 155
11:35 HR 153
11:39 HR 156 Phone call again!
11:27 HR 155

So...I feel like during the first 3 runs I was making reasonable progress getting to a slightly faster pace while keeping my HR at a relatively reasonable level.  Yes, my HR was probably a bit higher than desirable but it was better than I've done in the past.  Baby steps.

Then during the last two runs I got calls with requests for my help with carrot planting.  I was already running to fast and responded to the calls by running even faster.  But all things considered still not a terrible HR.  During both those runs I briefly considered running 4 miles but that wasn't an option after I received the calls...probably not a good idea yet anyway.  

I have a bit more time today and shouldn't get interrupted by a phone call.  The question is do I use that time to run again...I just ran three days in a row.  If I do run should I add a mile?  Should I use the time to rest and recover.  I'll let you know what I decide...

Life goes on...
If you exclude the Monday run, your other 4 runs get faster, but at a higher HR.  Note the Monday run, probably as a result of the extra day of rest, was more efficient while being faster than the Friday run.  And because you ran Monday, your Tuesday run fell into the not as efficient class.  Indeed had you taken out the dates and the Monday run, all 4 of the runs appear to have the same gap of days.  Those phone calls helped your heart relax a bit.

Today?  Rest.  If you run, slower HR recovery run for either distance, sort of what I did Wednesday.  It's not as fun, but your legs will reward you later.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 pm

I didn't see Doug's suggestion to rest yesterday until this morning...but I made the decision to take a day off on my own.

And today...5 miles @ 11:55 HR 154
11:32 HR 141
12:06 HR 151
12:08 HR 157
12:14 HR 159
11:35 HR 160

Not terrible considering the increase in distance.

I overdressed a bit which may have contributed to the higher than desired HR but it was definitely to fast. Especially the first mile.  Once I realized it I wasn't able to recover even though I slowed considerably.  The last mile...well I figured the HR was blown so I threw caution to the wind.

Should I take Mark's advice and try shorter steps...pitter-patter, pitter-patter, pitter-patter Maybe this would be a good time.  I know I have a metronome somewhere in this drawer...hey look...the battery is still good.  Hmmm...maybe tomorrow.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:13 pm

nkrichards wrote:I didn't see Doug's suggestion to rest yesterday until this morning...but I made the decision to take a day off on my own.

And today...5 miles @ 11:55 HR 154
11:32 HR 141
12:06 HR 151
12:08 HR 157
12:14 HR 159
11:35 HR 160

Not terrible considering the increase in distance.

I overdressed a bit which may have contributed to the higher than desired HR but it was definitely to fast. Especially the first mile.  Once I realized it I wasn't able to recover even though I slowed considerably.  The last mile...well I figured the HR was blown so I threw caution to the wind.

Should I take Mark's advice and try shorter steps...pitter-patter, pitter-patter, pitter-patter Maybe this would be a good time.  I know I have a metronome somewhere in this drawer...hey look...the battery is still good.  Hmmm...maybe tomorrow.
What the heck are you doing skipping mile 4??????  Well, I have a week to work on getting to 4 miles.

Yeah, mile 1 is your fastest, if I remember correctly.  I'm the opposite. 

I think the overdressing probably didn't account for much and your splits were appropriate for 5.  In a month, your 5 mile splits will look more like your 3 mile splits.

Nice 5, regardless.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:48 pm

Playing catch-up on the blogs here as we remain incarcerated (er, in self-quarantine) in the condo.

Thanks for the explanation of how the carrot planting process goes. I can see how losing GPS would be a huge stress-inducing event. I'm glad you got it fixed. I think that the auto-steer function is nerdy, fun and a little nerve-wracking. The things we do for carrots!

So does the planter drop a single seed every so far, or does it drop several, or broadcast them? Trying to figure out how in the world you might to back and thin the carrots at some point. But maybe, since you're going for seed, you don't need to?

--

Sounds like Natalie is equally concerned about the kids, you and Marty. Nobody wants to be "that person" who causes some horrible problem for someone else. Well, except for those knuckleheads who video themselves licking toilets... only to get sick later. (Those are the folks the sabertooth tigers used to clear out of the gene pool, but now... ?)

---

Nice to see somebody running. I know we're about to go crazy here. We're interested to see what it did to Alita's lungs. Her blood oxygen was 99% in the emergency room, so that's good, but who knows if there are long-term consequences from the chest tightness. We shall see.

I'd say go for the short steps! That was the secret I discovered when doing low HR training. The goal is to find the most efficient way to move. It's easy to overstride, so why not see if you can refine it?

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next