365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marathon as Training Run

+3
Michele "1L" Keane
Schuey
Alex Kubacki
7 posters

Go down

Marathon as Training Run Empty Marathon as Training Run

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:24 pm

I ran a marathon as a LSD training run before my spring marathon. Now I'm doing it again at the end of the month. I have a couple of questions for those that have done this.

1. How much did you alter your training schedule the week of?

2. Did you fuel differently than a normal marathon? On long runs I only take in water and an SCap if it's really humid, unless I'm well over 3hrs then I'll down a gel or fig newton. For a goal marathon I'll typically take in 4-5 gels. Just not sure how I should treat this one.

Thanks.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Marathon as Training Run Empty Re: Marathon as Training Run

Post  Schuey Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Yes I have done this.

Answer to question #1: I didn't change anything due to the fact the marathon was only a training run with support. I must add that when I did do this I did a longer warm-up at the start of the race then what I would do for a 20 to 24 mile long run.

Answer to question #2: I would eat my normal foods like I would for a normal long run and I would fuel the same way during the marathon like I would for my normal long run training runs. Although if I wanted to test or try some new pre meal or try a different fueling strategy during my goal race I would do it during this long run marathon. So if you wanted to try a different gel or more gels or different type of drink that your goal race would be using I would use it during this long run marathon.

Hope that helps.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:51 pm

I've done this as well, and I really didn't do anything different from a normal long run or even a marathon itself with regards to fueling. Of course, there was no taper involved and I ran at LR pace.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:31 pm

I've never done this, but I would recommend at 3 easy days afterwards. The difference between 20 and 26 warrants an extra day of recovery, in my opinion.

Also, I would be sure to eat a ton of carbs for the period 2-3 days before to 2-3 days after. If you bonk, you can be depleted for more than a few days.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:33 am

I have done this multiple times and typically stick to schedule except day before I will do a recovery runs and depending how I feel after the marathon I will take the next day off followed by 1-2 recovery runs. Then I kick it back up with speed work and carry on. I also suggest getting a massage 48-72 hours after for me it helps bring the legs back quicker.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks for the advice.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:23 am

A couple of years ago I ran 9 miles to the Chicago Marathon and then ran the marathon as a training run for a 50 miler. I ran it quite a bit slower than I would normally run a marathon.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:39 am

Jim Lentz wrote:A couple of years ago I ran 9 miles to the Chicago Marathon and then ran the marathon as a training run for a 50 miler. I ran it quite a bit slower than I would normally run a marathon.

Good point I usually run the marathon fun runs I call them a good 15-25 seconds slower per mile.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Don S Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:24 am

I pace quite a few marathons and have done this a few times. I paced the 3:15 group at Eau Claire Marathon two weeks from my spring goal race and it worked perfectly (PRd at Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon by 6 minutes). I didn't alter my running much in the week leading up to the pacing gig, but did run easier w/ no speed work. Same amount of miles though.

I'll be doing the same thing for NYC in the fall. Pacing the 3:10 group at Des Moines, which is 3 weeks away from the race.

Personally I like doing this as it's an excellent way to build endurance. For me they're long runs w/ support and goodies at the finish.

The only thing I did differently for fueling is drinking more beer after the pacing gig.
Don S
Don S

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down