365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Term Limits?

+3
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
7 posters

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Go down

Term Limits? - Page 14 Empty Re: Term Limits?

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:30 pm

ounce wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:So I weight 316# - does that work for you???  Twisted Evil

Actually it is 116# - so I think you are definitely well on your way!
I'd have to ask a couple of people to help me out at 316#.

In the mean time, you have 9 pounds to gain by Memorial  Day.

Thanks for stopping by, Miche1e.  It's okay to come by more frequently.
Razz Razz  No wonder Michele can run so darn fast.  She's as light as a feather!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:34 pm

ounce wrote:This morning, it was 68 degrees with a breeze.  Heat acclimation has started.  I increased the cadence from 153 to 154.  During the run, I chose to work on lengthening my stride.  In Chi Running, the runner can lengthening the stride by making the trailing leg extend to the rear a little longer.  And if I can resolve to practice this, it should make me a little faster.  I did a little during mile 2, but decided to lengthen the stride for the whole mile 3.  Never done that.

But it turned out well, as you'll see splits in a bit.

3 miles, 44:01, 14:38 pace, 122 avg bpm, 133 max bpm, 154 avg cadence, 0.71 m avg stride length
1.  14:53, 115 bpm, 154 spm, 70 sl
2.  14:50, 122 bpm, 155 spm, 70 sl
3.  14:08, 129 bpm, 155 bpm, 74 sl

My breathing effort was consistent with the heart and legs, so that's fixed.  As far as the stride length for mile 3, it was longer, but I don't have enough experience with long striding to tell me if the 3rd mile decrease was all stride length or not.  I guess you could compare mile 1 to 2 (7 bpm increase, same sl, -3 seconds) against mile 2 to 3 (same 7 bpm increase, but +4 sl, and -42 seconds) and hypothesize stride length is part of the decrease.

One could also conclude that the body has mastered 154 spm for 3 miles.  But how far COULD I maintain the 154?  4 miles?  5 miles?  As for 4 miles on Saturday, I will do long striding on mile 3 and see how long into mile 4 I can maintain it at 154.

Weights in the morning.  Appreciate your thoughts.  Even Mark's!
Totally agree that the stride length was key.  If you took the same number of steps (which you did) and you went faster it had to be the stride length.  Who knows if the increase in HR was caused by the longer stride or if it was HR drift or elevation??

Nice run.  Enjoy your time at the gym.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:35 pm

Thanks, Nancy. My usual routes going west or going east for 3 miles, then back is as flat as a high school track. To lengthen my stride, I have to lean forward a little so my center of gravity is not resting on or a little anterior of my hips and actually it's a little in front of my waist. An out of body experience, if you will.

HR was probably reacting to the length of time I was keeping it up and probably 2-3 bpm for drift. As I keep doing it, HR will drop.

I will be curious to see if I become 'stretchier' doing this striding.

-30-

I slept through my alarm for 20 minutes, this morning, which cut into my weights time. Hit the high points, but was looking to do more. Guess I'll have to pony up $10 for my own AbROLLER. Surprisingly, more were wearing masks, than I expected. Mostly the people that are younger than those who have access to the vaccine.

tomorrow is a 4 plus a trip to Huntsville and Sunday will be weights. Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:41 pm

ounce wrote:Thanks, Nancy.  My usual routes going west or going east for 3 miles, then back is as flat as a high school track.  To lengthen my stride, I have to lean forward a little so my center of gravity is not resting on or a little anterior of my hips and actually it's a little in front of my waist.  An out of body experience,  if you will.

HR was probably reacting to the length of time I was keeping it up and probably 2-3 bpm for drift.  As I keep doing it, HR will drop.

I will be curious to see if I become 'stretchier' doing this striding.

-30-

I slept through my alarm for 20 minutes, this morning, which cut into my weights time.  Hit the high points, but was looking to do more.  Guess I'll have to pony up $10 for my own AbROLLER.  Surprisingly, more were wearing masks, than I expected.  Mostly the people that are younger than those who have access to the vaccine.

tomorrow is a 4 plus a trip to Huntsville and Sunday will be weights.  Thanks.
'stretchier'  I like this word.   Wink  

Yes, you should invest in an AbRoller.  Just think how much time you could spend rolling if you had one at home.   Razz

Have a good run tomorrow and a safe trip to Huntsville.  Hope you get your chores done.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:29 am

Well, I figured the answer to my question, I think.  It was about where six pack muscles  end and where the obliques start.  I was thinking they were broader, but by looking at a andominal muscle anatomy picture, the six  pack end below the nipples.

Because i've noticed muscle growth on the Obliques at roughly a 10 and 2 location on a clock.  If the midline along the  belly button to the sternum is noon on a clock. The spine is 6 o'clock.  And I wanted to know  if youve noticed muscle  growth in that 10 & 2 area of your abdomen?

That's all it was.  Before I thought of a clock, I couldn't figure out a way to ask the question.

I missed this in your earlier post.  Good thing you got it figured out.  I don't pay much attention to muscle growth or slimming/trimming.  I wouldn't have been much help.  I pay more attention to how I feel.  Do I feel strong as the run continues or do I tire and lose form?  That's where I see the benefit of core/strength work.  Do I look better...probably.  Have I lost weight...a bit.  I'm never going to look like Michele.  I'm big boned and well muscled.  That's just the way it is.  I just have to figure out how to do the best I can with the body I've been given.  Considering I was a high school shot putter, I figure I've done a decent job of transforming myself into a runner.  But I don't think you're going to bench press my weight.   Razz Razz
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:27 pm

Okay.  I won't set a goal to bench press your weight.  I don't know what weight I'll be doing in a year.  I don't know how close I'll be to doing a pull up.  I do know that my body weight is a hinderance to the pull up and that bicep strength is a big determinant in doing a pull up.  It's almost a 1 to 1 ratio.  That partly seems odd, but I'll run with it.  This morning, I did do a couple of pull ups with that counter-weight machine.  I set it at a 65 pound net and could do 3, which is about right to the 1:1 because I use a 55 pound dumbbell to lift with both hands.

-30-

You'll note that I didn't run, this morning.  Yesterday, I was going to run but I overslept the alarm by 30 minutes for the 2nd day in a row.  That told me that the body is tuckered out.  AND I was going to Huntsville, too.  So, I slept for another hour or so.  I did get the wheels loaded and unloaded, then back to Houston.  About 40 wheels for 940 pounds.  Steel pays 9 cents a pound.  Got a couple of bruises for my trouble.

Have to make 1 more trip, then done.  No moving, just getting a tow truck to haul off the Volvo.

So this morning, I decided to go to the gym because it was 66 degrees this morning.  A front came through and it'll be in the 50s, tomorrow.  Running tomorrow.  

It was a good workout.  Did the Shocked Shocked AbRoller Shocked Shocked and did okay.  Lost a bit of length, since I hadn't done it at all last week.  Still look forward to that little $10 item.  Might not have to buy one after all. 

Even though DST started today, I'll get to be early tonight.  Thanks for stopping by.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:19 pm

ounce wrote:Okay.  I won't set a goal to bench press your weight.  I don't know what weight I'll be doing in a year.  I don't know how close I'll be to doing a pull up.  I do know that my body weight is a hinderance to the pull up and that bicep strength is a big determinant in doing a pull up.  It's almost a 1 to 1 ratio.  That partly seems odd, but I'll run with it.  This morning, I did do a couple of pull ups with that counter-weight machine.  I set it at a 65 pound net and could do 3, which is about right to the 1:1 because I use a 55 pound dumbbell to lift with both hands.

-30-

You'll note that I didn't run, this morning.  Yesterday, I was going to run but I overslept the alarm by 30 minutes for the 2nd day in a row.  That told me that the body is tuckered out.  AND I was going to Huntsville, too.  So, I slept for another hour or so.  I did get the wheels loaded and unloaded, then back to Houston.  About 40 wheels for 940 pounds.  Steel pays 9 cents a pound.  Got a couple of bruises for my trouble.

Have to make 1 more trip, then done.  No moving, just getting a tow truck to haul off the Volvo.

So this morning, I decided to go to the gym because it was 66 degrees this morning.  A front came through and it'll be in the 50s, tomorrow.  Running tomorrow.  

It was a good workout.  Did the Shocked Shocked AbRoller Shocked Shocked and did okay.  Lost a bit of length, since I hadn't done it at all last week.  Still look forward to that little $10 item.  Might not have to buy one after all. 

Even though DST started today, I'll get to be early tonight.  Thanks for stopping by.
I think we'd have to work together to meet somewhere in the middle if your goal was to bench press my weight.   Smile Smile  Not sure I can do my part.  I'm trending down but it's at a very slow rate.  With a fat % of 20.3 I don't have much to lose.  I don't want to start losing muscle!!  I was down to 19.2% in 2017 when I weighed in at 144 lbs (5 lbs lighter than I am now).  That's a good goal for me I think.  I would call that my race weight.  They have a weight loss competition called Moving Mountains in Madras.  Janice and I both weighed in so we could support the competition financially...and so we could weigh on the Tanita that gives you all the stats in addition to weight.  It's fun.  I've dropped a couple pounds since the weigh in on Feb 25th.  Will be fun to see where I'm at on June 19th at the final weigh in.

Good to hear you're making progress on your chores.  It's a good thing you don't have to make a living selling scrap iron though!  But you can now afford your own AbRoller.   Razz

Have a good run tomorrow...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:30 pm

I woke up before the alarm went off, this morning, by about 10 minutes.  Well, the "50's" morning temp did eek a 59 degree temp, but there was fog around, so it wasn't crisp.  This was a 4 mile run at 153 (long run cadence), with a tryout of longer striding for miles 3 and 4.  No telling if this stridering would work or not.  This was a long run.  6 minute warm up.

The mile 2 HR was 'tainted' by my stopping to move some branches off the sidewalk.

4 miles, 58:02, 14:29 pace, 127 avg bpm, 140 max bpm, 154 avg cadence, 0.88 m avg stride length, 1st half 14:39, 2nd half 14:19.
1.  14:36, 117 bpm, 153 spm, 72 sl
2.  14:46, 126 bpm, 153 spm, 71 sl
3.  14:26, 131 bpm, 152 spm, 74 sl
4.  14:08, 135 bpm, 154 spm, 75 sl

HR zone
Zone 3 (126 -140)  40:04
Zone 2 (108 - 125) 14:55
Zone 1 (0 - 124)      2.28

This wasn't an easy run, but I did complete it.  Just by the numbers, it says not only can I maintain a 153 cadence, but I can even get faster as I move along.  It wasn't as easy as the numbers look.  Hip flexors were causing most of the negative comments and a little on the respiration front.  I consider the HR drift appropriate for the reduction in time and increase in cadence & stride length. 

The stats for the past 2 runs indicates I should be able to do 5 miles at 154.  But I did well enough.  I get my 2nd covid shot on Saturday morning.  Tomorrow morning will be weights.  Not sure what distance on Wednesday.  I have options, though.

Trudging along nicely.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:39 pm

Looks like we were both typing a post for your blog at the same time.   Laughing

I'd classify that as a nice run.  You're making progress.  I would guess the hip flexor whining and general hard feel may have been caused by your chores over the weekend.

Take it easy after you get your shot.  I've heard several stories from people who had much more severe side effects after the 2nd shot.   What a Face
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:42 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Okay.  I won't set a goal to bench press your weight.  I don't know what weight I'll be doing in a year.  I don't know how close I'll be to doing a pull up.  I do know that my body weight is a hinderance to the pull up and that bicep strength is a big determinant in doing a pull up.  It's almost a 1 to 1 ratio.  That partly seems odd, but I'll run with it.  This morning, I did do a couple of pull ups with that counter-weight machine.  I set it at a 65 pound net and could do 3, which is about right to the 1:1 because I use a 55 pound dumbbell to lift with both hands.

-30-

I think we'd have to work together to meet somewhere in the middle if your goal was to bench press my weight.   Smile Smile  Not sure I can do my part.  I'm trending down but it's at a very slow rate.  With a fat % of 20.3 I don't have much to lose.  I don't want to start losing muscle!!  I was down to 19.2% in 2017 when I weighed in at 144 lbs (5 lbs lighter than I am now).  That's a good goal for me I think.  I would call that my race weight.  They have a weight loss competition called Moving Mountains in Madras.  Janice and I both weighed in so we could support the competition financially...and so we could weigh on the Tanita that gives you all the stats in addition to weight.  It's fun.  I've dropped a couple pounds since the weigh in on Feb 25th.  Will be fun to see where I'm at on June 19th at the final weigh in.

Good to hear you're making progress on your chores.  It's a good thing you don't have to make a living selling scrap iron though!  But you can now afford your own AbRoller.   Razz

Have a good run tomorrow...
Oh, I think that I could work to bench pressing your weight by the end of the year.  When I made my goal to bench press Miche1e's weight by Memorial Day, in my mind I was going to be working out with her weight, not a 1 rep max of 125 lbs.  I am on the cusp of working out with 110 lbs.  My notes say I started out with an un-weighted bar (45 lbs) on September 25.  So an increase of almost 65 pounds in 6 months.  I imagine the next 65 pounds will take longer than 6 months.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Michele "1L" Keane and nkrichards like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:13 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:

As far as new lift routines, there's bench press and the AbRoller.  I can say that I (the brain) that was getting acclimated to doing doubles.  The first couple of times, it was more tiring than not running before.

Wait a freakin' minute.

When you say AbRoller, do you mean one of these bad boys?

Term Limits? - Page 14 Screen21

Where you roll out, with all your weight supported on the axle as you extend your torso out? 

Did you have any chest issues before you started using this piece of equipment? Because if you didn't, I think the strain you're putting on your chest muscles and underlying skeletal structure just might have more to do with that pain you're feeling than your ticker. I don't know if you've brought it up with your doc, who is wisely checking the other more fatal possibilities, but I'd ask if I were you.

---

BTW, as far as CAD goes, I had a big cardiac workup with a stress EKG and sonogram with a local heart clinic back when I was just starting doing marathons. At that point, at least, things were looking and working very well.
Exhibit 1 - Motherly phobia.  "Where you roll out, with all your weight supported on the axle as you extend your torso out?"

Exhibit 2 - Motherly phobia.  "...I think the strain you're putting on your chest muscles and underlying skeletal structure just might have more to do with that pain you're feeling than your ticker."
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:37 pm

Tuesday was the weights day and some of the machines are individually and collectively getting tougher, since slowing the eccentric movement.  But that's the idea, isn't it?  I did the   Shocked ShockedAbRoller Shocked Shocked, today, too.  I started treating the  Shocked ShockedAbRoller Shocked Shocked as another machine where I practice going out a specific distance in sets of 3 x 6 reps, rather than trying to set a PR each time I grab it.  Then in 3 weeks or so, I can stretch it out and see how far I can roll.  Same sort of premise as working out with weights.  It would be a challenge to see if I could do a 1 rep max of 125 lbs, today.

Wednesday, it was 70 degrees for my 3 or 4 mile run.  I didn't get to a mile before stopping and walking back.  I'm blaming 75% on the temperature.  I'm beginning to believe that I have begun to accumulate, not sure what the right word but it's like...fatigue.  I think for the past 3 or 4 weeks, maybe longer, I've been alternating running or lifting, 7 days a week.  And it has been hidden or dialed back as a result of the cooler weather.  Then, when the temp is 63+ degrees and a run is planned, it is tiring early.  So, I'll rest 1 day.  My sleep has been 7 hours/night.

We had a cold front blow through yesterday morning.  It was part of that system that spawned many tornados in Mississippi and Alabama, yesterday afternoon.  This morning, it was 46 degrees with a 15 mph north wind.  I was chomping at the bit to run and see if the I could do 3 or 4 miles.  And the answer is yes.  Not just 'yes,' but 'yes, dammit!'

Cadence was set at 154.  6 minute warm up

4 miles, 58:25, 14:35 pace, 120 avg bpm, 129 max bpm, 155 avg cadence, 0.72 m avg stride length
1.  14:35, 113 bpm, 155 spm, 71 sl
2.  14:33, 120 bpm, 155 spm, 72 sl
3.  14:53, 121 bpm, 155 spm, 71 sl
4.  14:18, 125 bpm, 155 spm, 73 sl

Zone 3 (126 - 129)  7:41
Zone 2 (108-125)  48:31

I knew my cadence wasn't falling off, just didn't know it was 1 step better throughout the whole run.  The splits are getting tiresome, mentally.  As I was seeing how my HR was sub-125, I thought, "Oooh, Nancy's going to say, 'You and Miche1e have great HR's.'"  To which I will respond, "Yes, but she's half my size, logs 10 times the miles, and goes twice as fast."  I'm really not going fast in any definition of the word.  Presently, I don't have the spark, which isn't temperature related.

I tried to do some stridering on mile 4, but I wasn't consistent on doing it during the mile.  It did result in a faster split, which I was letting the strides cause, meaning I wasn't hoofing it.  Purely a result of the stridering.

I will run Saturday morning and rest Sunday.

Tomorrow will be weights.  Saturday, I get my 2nd covid shot.  Be sure and pick up a survey form to rate this blog.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:47 am

Headed off to the gym, this morning.  Most everything went well.  Even increased on a couple of machines.  On the  Shocked ShockedAbRoller Shocked Shocked, I did 2 sets of 3 reps each.  Sucked in the gut and went out about the same distance as on Monday, but with a localized spot of pain a stomach muscle.  No big deal, but just ceased after the second set.  After that, I went and did 4 sets of 30 leg lifts.

I'm actually at the point to where I have to warm up the muscles with a much lighter weight, before doing the routines.  I can even just move my arms around in a circle or move them behind me to stretch the front deltoid.  Just something.

Tomorrow will be a run of some long nature.  The brain has a number that it doesn't have to run. Laughing  Then nothing until Monday morning.

Y'all have a good weekend and come again!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:12 pm

ounce wrote:One could also conclude that the body has mastered 154 spm for 3 miles.  But how far COULD I maintain the 154?  4 miles?  5 miles?  As for 4 miles on Saturday, I will do long striding on mile 3 and see how long into mile 4 I can maintain it at 154.

I think you should find out and report back. 

Sorry, can't seem to find that  affraidAbRoller affraid anywhere, so I guess the whole both-end demonstration is off.

As far as the other part goes, I ain't your mother. Just an amateur physiologist trying to figure out why you were mysteriously get chest pain all the sudden, trying to find a reason other than your heart. Some of my speculations are better than others.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:28 pm

This morning it was a crisp 46 degrees with sporadic, less than 5 mph breeze.  Two layers made up as a sleeveless shirt under a long sleeve shirt.  I needed just a bit more than a long sleeve shirt and the sleeveless worked well.

The goal for today was either 5 or 6 miles because if I can maintain 155 for 4 miles, when the gnome is set at 154, then I am needing to go farther or increase the cadence.  I chose the former at 153, which is the long run cadence.

I started off with a 6 minute warmup, as has been standard since December 7.  I was confident I could do 5 miles and probably 6.  6 would be the limit.  I wasn't concerned with stride length.

6 miles, 1:28:59, 14:50 pace, 122 avg bpm, 127 max bpm, 153 avg cadence, 0.71 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:47, 2nd half pace 14:53.
1.  14:57, 120 bpm, 153 spm, 71 sl
2.  14:52, 120 bpm, 153 spm, 71 sl
3.  14:47, 122 bpm, 154 spm, 71 sl
4.  14:54, 120 bpm, 153 spm, 71 sl
5.  14:50, 123 bpm, 153 spm, 70 sl
6.  14:30, 123 bpm, 154 spm, 72 sl

HR zones
Zone 3 (126-127)     1:43
Zone 2 (108-125) 1:26:36

I'm not able to tap into the laptop information, like the HR graph, but I am still able to get the cadence from Garmin.

Term Limits? - Page 14 VgoF3+y8a8JwAAAABsj54JBgAAAABsL4IBAAAAYEARDAAAAAADimAAAAAAGFAEAwAAAMCAIhgAAAAABhTBAAAAADCgCAYAAACAAUUwAAAAAAwoggEAAABgQP0fZO0XwKdq3x0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

And the answer is, yes, I can do more than 6 miles.  My hip flexors didn't start whining until mile 4.5.  That was a surprise.  I'm going to work on abductors & adductors at the gym on Tuesday.  I'm thinking that activity will help just by the very action of working the muscle.

Before starting, I was concerned as to whether I needed water or not.  It would have been nice to have some on the road, but today, for this run, I didn't need it.

The HR spiked up to 160 in the first 10 minutes, but I sure as hell wasn't running that.  So, I disregarded it in the numbers above.  I wasn't happy with the pace, as it was very similar to past runs, but I will address that soon.  However, I never jumped off the Cadence pier.

So, knowing that 6 miles is doable now, I can get a little speed done. 

No physical activity tomorrow, except maybe testing the bands that showed up earlier in the week.  Y'all be good.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:35 pm

ounce wrote:This morning it was a crisp 46 degrees with sporadic, less than 5 mph breeze.  Two layers made up as a sleeveless shirt under a long sleeve shirt.  I needed just a bit more than a long sleeve shirt and the sleeveless worked well.

The goal for today was either 5 or 6 miles because if I can maintain 155 for 4 miles, when the gnome is set at 154, then I am needing to go farther or increase the cadence.  I chose the former at 153, which is the long run cadence.

I started off with a 6 minute warmup, as has been standard since December 7.  I was confident I could do 5 miles and probably 6.  6 would be the limit.  I wasn't concerned with stride length.

6 miles, 1:28:59, 14:50 pace, 122 avg bpm, 127 max bpm, 153 avg cadence, 0.71 m avg stride length, 1st half pace 14:47, 2nd half pace 14:53.
1.  14:57, 120 bpm, 153 spm, 71 sl
2.  14:52, 120 bpm, 153 spm, 71 sl
3.  14:47, 122 bpm, 154 spm, 71 sl
4.  14:54, 120 bpm, 153 spm, 71 sl
5.  14:50, 123 bpm, 153 spm, 70 sl
6.  14:30, 123 bpm, 154 spm, 72 sl

HR zones
Zone 3 (126-127)     1:43
Zone 2 (108-125) 1:26:36

I'm not able to tap into the laptop information, like the HR graph, but I am still able to get the cadence from Garmin.

Term Limits? - Page 14 VgoF3+y8a8JwAAAABsj54JBgAAAABsL4IBAAAAYEARDAAAAAADimAAAAAAGFAEAwAAAMCAIhgAAAAABhTBAAAAADCgCAYAAACAAUUwAAAAAAwoggEAAABgQP0fZO0XwKdq3x0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

And the answer is, yes, I can do more than 6 miles.  My hip flexors didn't start whining until mile 4.5.  That was a surprise.  I'm going to work on abductors & adductors at the gym on Tuesday.  I'm thinking that activity will help just by the very action of working the muscle.

Before starting, I was concerned as to whether I needed water or not.  It would have been nice to have some on the road, but today, for this run, I didn't need it.

The HR spiked up to 160 in the first 10 minutes, but I sure as hell wasn't running that.  So, I disregarded it in the numbers above.  I wasn't happy with the pace, as it was very similar to past runs, but I will address that soon.  However, I never jumped off the Cadence pier.

So, knowing that 6 miles is doable now, I can get a little speed done. 

No physical activity tomorrow, except maybe testing the bands that showed up earlier in the week.  Y'all be good.
That was a nice run.   Smile  I see progress...and an impressive HR.

Interesting HR spike.  (I can see it on Strava.)  Oddly enough I also had a HR spike in the first little bit of my run this morning...not as severe as yours but it was an obvious spike for no reason.  I guess we can both assume that the HR monitor had a brief bit of fun to see if it could get us up on jiggle.   Twisted Evil

Enjoy your rest day and your nice running weather.  I'm getting really tired of the wind here.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:18 pm

Yeah, I knew you could see it, there.  For such a short duration, I figured you wouldn't be concerned especially since you have 'heart spike,' too.

Got my 2nd covid shot on Saturday.  Even though the reaction is supposed to be worse than the first shot, I had the same side effects...discomfort and redness at the injection site that lasted 36 hours.  Uneventful.  In two weeks, I'll be at full power on fighting covid.

-30-

It was 59 degrees without the dry air.  Nice for a short sleeved shirt.  Had the spike again, but just to 150.  

I bumped the cadence to 156.  I could do 154 at 155, so let's live dangerously. Rolling Eyes  Wasn't doing any stridering.

4 miles, 56:23, 14:06 pace, 124 avg bpm, 150 max bpm, 157 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length.
1.  14:06, 120 bpm, 157 spm, 73 sl
2.  13:54, 125 bpm, 157 spm, 74 sl
3.  14:20, 124 bpm, 157 spm, 72 sl
4.  14:00, 126 bpm, 157 spm, 73 sl

HR zones
Zone 3 (126 - 134) 18:54
Zone 2 (108 - 125) 36:22

Last Thursday's 4 miles @ 46 degrees:

4 miles, 58:25, 14:35 pace, 120 avg bpm, 129 max bpm, 155 avg cadence, 0.72 m avg stride length

This morning, when pondering a distance while dressing, 3 just seemed too short to test a new cadence.  I actually was thinking 5 miles, but I took the Goldilocks route of 4 miles.  I expected a little quicker time and two minutes seemed fine.  The one day of rest seemed to not hurt.  I slept 10 hours, Saturday night.  Not all without waking up, but each time I dozed, an hour to 90 minutes seemed to pass by.

The 157 cadence was a shocker, especially for the whole 4 miles.  I expected a 155 in the last half mile of the run, based on past history.  I felt pretty good in the first mile (breathing hadn't gotten into the groove), then settled into the rhythm for the rest.  Seems like increasing distance and cadence on Wednesday seems to be the thing to do because I have purred along for 4 miles at a higher cadence.  I want to see which will blink first.  Thanks for stopping by.

Run Cadence 

Avg: 157 spm[size=11]0.000.501.001.502.002.503.003.504.001501601703.41 mi

156 spm[/size]
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:30 pm

ounce wrote:Yeah, I knew you could see it, there.  For such a short duration, I figured you wouldn't be concerned especially since you have 'heart spike,' too.

Got my 2nd covid shot on Saturday.  Even though the reaction is supposed to be worse than the first shot, I had the same side effects...discomfort and redness at the injection site that lasted 36 hours.  Uneventful.  In two weeks, I'll be at full power on fighting covid.

-30-

It was 59 degrees without the dry air.  Nice for a short sleeved shirt.  Had the spike again, but just to 150.  

I bumped the cadence to 156.  I could do 154 at 155, so let's live dangerously. Rolling Eyes  Wasn't doing any stridering.

4 miles, 56:23, 14:06 pace, 124 avg bpm, 150 max bpm, 157 avg cadence, 0.73 m avg stride length.

HR zones

This morning, when pondering a distance while dressing, 3 just seemed too short to test a new cadence.  I actually was thinking 5 miles, but I took the Goldilocks route of 4 miles.  I expected a little quicker time and two minutes seemed fine.  The one day of rest seemed to not hurt.  I slept 10 hours, Saturday night.  Not all without waking up, but each time I dozed, an hour to 90 minutes seemed to pass by.

The 157 cadence was a shocker, especially for the whole 4 miles.  I expected a 155 in the last half mile of the run, based on past history.  I felt pretty good in the first mile (breathing hadn't gotten into the groove), then settled into the rhythm for the rest.  Seems like increasing distance and cadence on Wednesday seems to be the thing to do because I have purred along for 4 miles at a higher cadence.  I want to see which will blink first.  Thanks for stopping by.

Run Cadence 

156 spm[/size]
Glad your second COVID shot went well.  I had heard lots of stories but my family members didn't have any trouble with their second shot either.  Marty and I will be eligible to be vaccinated soon but to be perfectly honest we're not in a big hurry.  We'll leave the available vaccine for higher risk folks for now.

Your cadence is coming back quickly.  That's a sign that it's ingrained in your running form.  Kind of like learning to ride a bike.  Paces are coming right along as well.  You'll have good days and bad depending on weather...and other factors...but you're progressing nicely now that you're running a bit more again.

It's kind of fun to see what you and Michele are up to on Strava.  I don't spend a lot of time analyzing anything but it's fun to keep an eye on both of you.   Very Happy
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:33 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Yeah, I knew you could see it, there.  For such a short duration, I figured you wouldn't be concerned especially since you have 'heart spike,' too.

-30-

HR zones

Run Cadence 

156 spm[/size]
Glad your second COVID shot went well.  I had heard lots of stories but my family members didn't have any trouble with their second shot either.  Marty and I will be eligible to be vaccinated soon but to be perfectly honest we're not in a big hurry.  We'll leave the available vaccine for higher risk folks for now.

Your cadence is coming back quickly.  That's a sign that it's ingrained in your running form.  Kind of like learning to ride a bike.  Paces are coming right along as well.  You'll have good days and bad depending on weather...and other factors...but you're progressing nicely now that you're running a bit more again.

It's kind of fun to see what you and Michele are up to on Strava.  I don't spend a lot of time analyzing anything but it's fun to keep an eye on both of you.   Very Happy

Some solid runs lately. Nancy is right on cadence. I've found that it gets engrained in your bones and can come back pretty well.

Glad you're vaccinated! 

BTW, I am on Strava, too. I'll try to find you both on there.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:09 pm

Mark B wrote:

Some solid runs lately. Nancy is right on cadence. I've found that it gets engrained in your bones and can come back pretty well.

Glad you're vaccinated! 

Mark...I had trouble finding Doug on Strava until I realized he was using his 365Runners name.  Look for "ounce ?"

Nice photos of your walking route btw.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:40 am

Part of why I believe the cadence is coming back so quickly is because I'm more ketogenic, now.  Once the boxes of cereals were gone and a couple of other things, I was more keto, meaning my fuel source of fat is what the body is turning to.  Last year, it took much longer to get back to 161 because the cadence of the last mile fell off.  Sort of 3 steps forward and 1 step backward.  This year, once ketoed, it was 4 steps forward and zero steps backward.

This week and last, I have been bumping cadence to find the 1 step backward cadence.  When that didn't happen, I increased the mileage AND increased the cadence.  Monday was 4 at 156 with no step backward (never jumped off the pier).  Wednesday was 5 at 157 cadence with no step backward, although I am getting close to peak.

Wednesday morning, it was 61 degrees.

5 miles, 1:11:39, 14:19 pace, 131 avg bpm, 144 max bpm, 156 avg cadence, 0.72 stride length
1.  14:23, 121 bpm, 157 bpm, 69 sl
2.  14:29, 130 bpm, 157 bpm, 72 sl
3.  14:11, 132 bpm, 157 bpm, 72 sl
4.  14:18, 133 bpm, 157 bpm, 72 sl
5.  14:09, 137 bpm, 156 bpm, 74 sl

HR zones
zone 3 (126-144)  58:45
zone 2 (108-125)  11:15

Run Cadence 

Avg: 156 spm[size=11]0.000.501.001.502.002.503.003.504.004.501401501601703.10 mi

156 spm[/size]

• Stats
  • Laps
  • Segments

Run Cadence 
So, the HR increased because the cadence increased to a level where the heart actually had to beat faster.  Maybe not completely out of the hammock, but the heart had to sit up.

Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:51 am

ounce wrote:Part of why I believe the cadence is coming back so quickly is because I'm more ketogenic, now.  Once the boxes of cereals were gone and a couple of other things, I was more keto, meaning my fuel source of fat is what the body is turning to.  Last year, it took much longer to get back to 161 because the cadence of the last mile fell off.  Sort of 3 steps forward and 1 step backward.  This year, once ketoed, it was 4 steps forward and zero steps backward.

This week and last, I have been bumping cadence to find the 1 step backward cadence.  When that didn't happen, I increased the mileage AND increased the cadence.  Monday was 4 at 156 with no step backward (never jumped off the pier).  Wednesday was 5 at 157 cadence with no step backward, although I am getting close to peak.

Wednesday morning, it was 61 degrees.

5 miles, 1:11:39, 14:19 pace, 131 avg bpm, 144 max bpm, 156 avg cadence, 0.72 stride length
1.  14:23, 121 bpm, 157 bpm, 69 sl
2.  14:29, 130 bpm, 157 bpm, 72 sl
3.  14:11, 132 bpm, 157 bpm, 72 sl
4.  14:18, 133 bpm, 157 bpm, 72 sl
5.  14:09, 137 bpm, 156 bpm, 74 sl

HR zones
zone 3 (126-144)  58:45
zone 2 (108-125)  11:15

Run Cadence 

Avg: 156 spm[size=11]0.000.501.001.502.002.503.003.504.004.501401501601703.10 mi

156 spm[/size]

• Stats
  • Laps
  • Segments

Run Cadence 
So, the HR increased because the cadence increased to a level where the heart actually had to beat faster.  Maybe not completely out of the hammock, but the heart had to sit up.

Thanks.
Couldn't ask for better stats than that.  Nice run.

Heading out for 10 this morning...I'll stop back in later.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:27 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Glad you're vaccinated! 

Mark...I had trouble finding Doug on Strava until I realized he was using his 365Runners name.  Look for "ounce ?"

Thanks! It's a pretty good inducement to get out there. Especially now that it's not 38 degrees and raining.  sunny

Ounce: I didn't realize you were doing keto again. It certainly throws your body a curve ball. Hope it goes well.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:23 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Glad you're vaccinated! 

Thanks! It's a pretty good inducement to get out there. Especially now that it's not 38 degrees and raining.  sunny

Ounce: I didn't realize you were doing keto again. It certainly throws your body a curve ball. Hope it goes well.
I never really stopped, except for the month after a marathon.  I've been more of a flexible keto person.  When I need to be keto, then I go all in.  That approach is not good for weight loss.  This conclusion I came to realize after my times were not getting any faster.  Now that Spring is coming to a close, (89 for Thursday, seasonal is 78) the heat will not be good for times in spades.  

So, I came to the conclusion that I need to be more consistently committed to keto.  And started it with a 4 day fast that will end on Thursday after my physical.  If I can't get faster, then I'll need to get lighter and then I'll get faster.  It's no accident that I did the fast before a physical.  Lab numbers would look better.

Two years ago, I did a 10 day fast.  At that time, the conventional wisdom on fasting was to cut back on exercising.  In my case, I needed to cut back on either running or lifting.  So, I cut back on lifting.  For this 4 day fast, I am not cutting back on either activity.  Normal week.  I haven't noticed any bad effects.  

I've been extremely busy over the past 5 weeks by pretty much working every day from March 2 to April 2.  Now, it's a little less, but still 10 hour days but not weekends.  

I think it was last week, when I was lifting, that curiosity got the best of me.  I wondered if I could bench press Miche1e's weight of 125 lbs, even though the goal was by Memorial Day.  I didn't know the relationship between my workout weight and my 1 rep max weight.  I work out with 110.  So, I went ahead and put 62.5# on each side.  I use a sitting up bench press, because I don't want to use the horizontal bench press and not be able to lift it all the way up.  The machine looks a lot like the one below.
Term Limits? - Page 14 2Q==
So, I psyched myself up, breathed in and pushed. And succeeded.  In fact, I could've done 3 reps at 125.  I was thinking that 135-145 might be a 1 rep max.  Look out, Nancy.

I'm well, but a bit tired of doing weekends.  It's slacking up, though.  I'll be running in the morning.  3 or 4 miles.  Thanks for keeping the lights on.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:45 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Glad you're vaccinated! 

I never really stopped, except for the month after a marathon.  I've been more of a flexible keto person.  When I need to be keto, then I go all in.  That approach is not good for weight loss.  This conclusion I came to realize after my times were not getting any faster.  Now that Spring is coming to a close, (89 for Thursday, seasonal is 78) the heat will not be good for times in spades.  

So, I came to the conclusion that I need to be more consistently committed to keto.  And started it with a 4 day fast that will end on Thursday after my physical.  If I can't get faster, then I'll need to get lighter and then I'll get faster.  It's no accident that I did the fast before a physical.  Lab numbers would look better.

Two years ago, I did a 10 day fast.  At that time, the conventional wisdom on fasting was to cut back on exercising.  In my case, I needed to cut back on either running or lifting.  So, I cut back on lifting.  For this 4 day fast, I am not cutting back on either activity.  Normal week.  I haven't noticed any bad effects.  

I've been extremely busy over the past 5 weeks by pretty much working every day from March 2 to April 2.  Now, it's a little less, but still 10 hour days but not weekends.  

I think it was last week, when I was lifting, that curiosity got the best of me.  I wondered if I could bench press Miche1e's weight of 125 lbs, even though the goal was by Memorial Day.  I didn't know the relationship between my workout weight and my 1 rep max weight.  I work out with 110.  So, I went ahead and put 62.5# on each side.  I use a sitting up bench press, because I don't want to use the horizontal bench press and not be able to lift it all the way up.  The machine looks a lot like the one below.
Term Limits? - Page 14 2Q==
So, I psyched myself up, breathed in and pushed. And succeeded.  In fact, I could've done 3 reps at 125.  I was thinking that 135-145 might be a 1 rep max.  Look out, Nancy.

I'm well, but a bit tired of doing weekends.  It's slacking up, though.  I'll be running in the morning.  3 or 4 miles.  Thanks for keeping the lights on.
It's good to hear from you Doug.  I haven't seen anything on Stava either and was getting a bit concerned.  I know I often disappear for a few days when things get hectic...sounds like that was the case for you.  Glad to hear that you're well and that things are slowing down a bit in your life.

The heat will make running times frustrating.  I know you realize that and will take it all in stride.

Nice job on the bench press.  You're an overachiever. cheers cheers  I'll work with you on your next goal.  You keep increasing your dead lift weight and I'll work on decreasing my body weight.  I'm down to 147 in the morning.  I'd be pretty happy if I could get to the point where I consistently weighed in at 145 in the morning.  I think I hit 143 during my last serious marathon training...

Stay well...drop a note when you have time but don't stress over it if you're busy.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next