365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training with Flies

5 posters

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

Training with Flies - Page 4 Empty Re: Training with Flies

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:55 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Well, Nancy, that's probably the best logical reason for not getting the shot(s) that I've heard.   Approval

-30-

The addendum to the 3 guys in the parking lot on Monday's failed attempt was there was zero broken glass anywhere in the parking lots.  So maybe, they were just peering and looking for unlocked cars and didn't break in to any of the cars.

-30-

So Thursday, I ran a 5 mile progression run where I started at 154 spm and bumped it up 2 per mile up to the end of mile 3.  Then bumped it 3 spm for miles 4 and 5.  The last mile was at 164 spm.  I feel like I am starting to lose some ground on meeting the target marathon pace.  Ergo I need to work on bumping and changing things.  The body is acclimated to the pounding, so I just need to nudge it a little harder, I believe.

There's not a whole lot of difference in the overall pace of the 19 mile run (16:33) and the 12 (16:16).  For both runs, the bleeding was the last 3 miles.  Yesterday's 5 mile run was an average of 14:53.

I think I'll run Monday another 19 miles at a faster cadence.  I'd like to be able to increase the miles, but I just think I need to become faster, first.

Have to do something.  I am please that I'm up to 19 in early October, though.
I tend to agree that 19 miles at a slightly faster cadence might be a better option than trying to increase the miles and struggling to finish.  You still have time to add miles.

I do like the shorter faster cadence...and resulting faster pace runs.  I think they'll help to get you closer to your desired marathon pace.

Have you ever tried a run/walk routine?  I've never tried it...and I'm not recommending it...but I know some people swear that they are faster overall as their run sections are significantly faster.  I think I would struggle to switch back to a decent run pace after walking.  

Hope the temperature is conducive to a good run on Monday.  In the meantime I hope you enjoy your weekend.
I had thought about doing run/walk back in 2007 or so.  During the '07 Houston, I was running with (sorta) a couple doing run/walk.  I asked them what run pace do y'all have to generate to finish before the 6 hour mark.  They said a 12 minute mile will get them a 5:45 time.  So, that's the reason I didn't do it.  Didn't seem like I'd be getting enough juice for the squeeze.  I, too, think the switch back would be difficult, especially in the last 6 miles.

-30-

Last week, I made an appointment with a podiatrist to check out my right 2nd toe's swelling and at the base.  It doesn't hurt at all, but I notice it mostly after a run and during the day after a run.  I'll ice it, if I think I can sit for 30 minutes.  I can't bend that toe nearly as far as the left's 2nd toe.  Since there's no stabbing pain, this is more of a baseline generating visit and see what his thoughts are for later.  AND since I'm not in constant pain, the appointment is the 25th, not this week.

Okay, so much for the housekeeping.

-30-

Yesterday, Nancy, as I was pondering about this morning's long run your first sentence made me think about executing the 19 differently.  And if I could figure out where I should park the car, I was going to run the long run only at Memorial Park.  For the reasons of I have a reduced opportunity to fall, I won't have to worry about cards, and if I peter out early, I have to walk no more than 2 miles to get to the car.

So, I started running a planned 19 miles at just before 1 a.m. at Memorial Park.  I had 3 goals for the run.  To run at a faster cadence for a long run, to run at a faster pace, and to finish all 19.  I accomplished the first two.

The weather was 72 degrees with a dew point of 64.  It didn't feel warm, but my body would convince me that it was.  I didn't sweat profusely as a 65 year old in August, but I was sweating quite extensively.  That was the main reason why I ran 15, instead of 19.  Up to mile 12, I was thinking 20 miles.  But mile 12 started seeing me weaving and wobbling some, then much more during the last mile.  The sweat was also causing me to stop more frequently.

I was hitting 155 or even 156 throughout the whole run, according to Garmin, and clocking 14 & 15 minutes a mile, no 16s.  Last Monday's 12, I only did 3 155/156 and ZERO 14's, but 2 15's.  Plus to add a further insult to last Monday's run, the dew point was 55 degrees, not 64, today.

I made the internal decision to run faster and hold the cadence, this morning.  I wanted to see if I could do it.  So, while I don't think I am out of the woods of slow, plodding times, I now know I can run faster with a consistently higher cadence.  I found a screen on my watch that gave me instant pace and distance.  That instant pace was the motivation of the faster splits.

The comfort of running loops (and not running TO the loop or FROM the loop home) gave me the freedom to push the body.

Today's run was 15 miles at 15:02 pace at a 127 bpm avg.  HR stayed above 130 from around mile 8 to the end.  The hammock was empty!!!!!!  And I was still gettin' it.  3 hours, 51 minutes.  A 15 minute pace under sweaty conditions.  Last week's 12 with drier conditions was 16:16 pace at 117 avg bpm.

It's a turning point.  Not quite sure if I'm on the 'fast' track, but I have a positive experience.  And one on which to build.

Another benefit to doing loops was I didn't have to plod home 3 miles.  I stopped at 15 and gingerly walked to my car, weaving some.  I could've done one more loop as a plod, but I didn't need to do that.

Thanks for reading.
Hope the toe doesn't turn into an issue that affects your running...

I was really impressed when I saw your Stava stats for the 15 miles on Monday.  Awesome pace and awesome cadence.  I agree that it's a turning point and a positive run that you can build on!

I also like doing loops so I don't get to far from an exit point.  Just provides some peace of mind and is easier to manage mentally.  When I run at the overlook I park in the middle and do a couple out and backs on either side of the car.  That means I pass the car after 4 miles and then again after 3 more.  I can pick up or exchange my water bottle.  I can do any combination of out and backs to get the mileage I want.  Works well and the views are awesome so I don't get bored.

Once again...congrats on a great run!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:34 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Well, Nancy, that's probably the best logical reason for not getting the shot(s) that I've heard.   Approval

-30-

The addendum to the 3 guys in the parking lot on Monday's failed attempt was there was zero broken glass anywhere in the parking lots.  So maybe, they were just peering and looking for unlocked cars and didn't break in to any of the cars.

-30-

So Thursday, I ran a 5 mile progression run where I started at 154 spm and bumped it up 2 per mile up to the end of mile 3.  Then bumped it 3 spm for miles 4 and 5.  The last mile was at 164 spm.  I feel like I am starting to lose some ground on meeting the target marathon pace.  Ergo I need to work on bumping and changing things.  The body is acclimated to the pounding, so I just need to nudge it a little harder, I believe.

There's not a whole lot of difference in the overall pace of the 19 mile run (16:33) and the 12 (16:16).  For both runs, the bleeding was the last 3 miles.  Yesterday's 5 mile run was an average of 14:53.

I think I'll run Monday another 19 miles at a faster cadence.  I'd like to be able to increase the miles, but I just think I need to become faster, first.

Have to do something.  I am please that I'm up to 19 in early October, though.
I tend to agree that 19 miles at a slightly faster cadence might be a better option than trying to increase the miles and struggling to finish.  You still have time to add miles.

I do like the shorter faster cadence...and resulting faster pace runs.  I think they'll help to get you closer to your desired marathon pace.

Have you ever tried a run/walk routine?  I've never tried it...and I'm not recommending it...but I know some people swear that they are faster overall as their run sections are significantly faster.  I think I would struggle to switch back to a decent run pace after walking.  

Hope the temperature is conducive to a good run on Monday.  In the meantime I hope you enjoy your weekend.
I had thought about doing run/walk back in 2007 or so.  During the '07 Houston, I was running with (sorta) a couple doing run/walk.  I asked them what run pace do y'all have to generate to finish before the 6 hour mark.  They said a 12 minute mile will get them a 5:45 time.  So, that's the reason I didn't do it.  Didn't seem like I'd be getting enough juice for the squeeze.  I, too, think the switch back would be difficult, especially in the last 6 miles.

-30-

Last week, I made an appointment with a podiatrist to check out my right 2nd toe's swelling and at the base.  It doesn't hurt at all, but I notice it mostly after a run and during the day after a run.  I'll ice it, if I think I can sit for 30 minutes.  I can't bend that toe nearly as far as the left's 2nd toe.  Since there's no stabbing pain, this is more of a baseline generating visit and see what his thoughts are for later.  AND since I'm not in constant pain, the appointment is the 25th, not this week.

Okay, so much for the housekeeping.

-30-

Yesterday, Nancy, as I was pondering about this morning's long run your first sentence made me think about executing the 19 differently.  And if I could figure out where I should park the car, I was going to run the long run only at Memorial Park.  For the reasons of I have a reduced opportunity to fall, I won't have to worry about cards, and if I peter out early, I have to walk no more than 2 miles to get to the car.

So, I started running a planned 19 miles at just before 1 a.m. at Memorial Park.  I had 3 goals for the run.  To run at a faster cadence for a long run, to run at a faster pace, and to finish all 19.  I accomplished the first two.

The weather was 72 degrees with a dew point of 64.  It didn't feel warm, but my body would convince me that it was.  I didn't sweat profusely as a 65 year old in August, but I was sweating quite extensively.  That was the main reason why I ran 15, instead of 19.  Up to mile 12, I was thinking 20 miles.  But mile 12 started seeing me weaving and wobbling some, then much more during the last mile.  The sweat was also causing me to stop more frequently.

I was hitting 155 or even 156 throughout the whole run, according to Garmin, and clocking 14 & 15 minutes a mile, no 16s.  Last Monday's 12, I only did 3 155/156 and ZERO 14's, but 2 15's.  Plus to add a further insult to last Monday's run, the dew point was 55 degrees, not 64, today.

I made the internal decision to run faster and hold the cadence, this morning.  I wanted to see if I could do it.  So, while I don't think I am out of the woods of slow, plodding times, I now know I can run faster with a consistently higher cadence.  I found a screen on my watch that gave me instant pace and distance.  That instant pace was the motivation of the faster splits.

The comfort of running loops (and not running TO the loop or FROM the loop home) gave me the freedom to push the body.

Today's run was 15 miles at 15:02 pace at a 127 bpm avg.  HR stayed above 130 from around mile 8 to the end.  The hammock was empty!!!!!!  And I was still gettin' it.  3 hours, 51 minutes.  A 15 minute pace under sweaty conditions.  Last week's 12 with drier conditions was 16:16 pace at 117 avg bpm.

It's a turning point.  Not quite sure if I'm on the 'fast' track, but I have a positive experience.  And one on which to build.

Another benefit to doing loops was I didn't have to plod home 3 miles.  I stopped at 15 and gingerly walked to my car, weaving some.  I could've done one more loop as a plod, but I didn't need to do that.

Thanks for reading.
Hope the toe doesn't turn into an issue that affects your running...

I was really impressed when I saw your Stava stats for the 15 miles on Monday.  Awesome pace and awesome cadence.  I agree that it's a turning point and a positive run that you can build on!

I also like doing loops so I don't get to far from an exit point.  Just provides some peace of mind and is easier to manage mentally.  When I run at the overlook I park in the middle and do a couple out and backs on either side of the car.  That means I pass the car after 4 miles and then again after 3 more.  I can pick up or exchange my water bottle.  I can do any combination of out and backs to get the mileage I want.  Works well and the views are awesome so I don't get bored.

Once again...congrats on a great run!
The toe thing started in July and I'm breaking runner protocol by it not having a stabbing pain before going to the doctor.  Shhh...don't tell anyone.

One stat that I haven't posted much about is Stride Length.  Avg stride length for the 12 mile run last week was 0.64 meters.  This 15 mile run (where I started the Garmin at mile 7.  Mile 7.), my stride length was never lower than 65 and averaged 67 for the last 8.72 miles.

So, a higher cadence produces a longer stride length.  A longer stride length causes my tootsies to touch the ground less and a faster pace.  Fewer steps, less damage to the feet, ankles, etc.

Now, I have to get the body to have muscle memory, eyes have to watch the pavement more on street runs, the lungs have to pick up the pace, arms, etc.

Running in circles may be the key.  Tomorrow, I'll run 5 on the streets at race cadence of 162-164.

I agree on your exit strategy.  The last mile showed a reduced cadence and a slower mile.  It was time to quit.  Weather in the morning will be about the same 72/64 temps.  Next Tuesday or Wednesday, it's supposed to have HIGHS in the 70's with snow possible in the panhandle.

Thanks, Nancy.  I'll keep plugging away, but I think the plodding days are plodding off into the sunset.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:11 pm

ounce wrote:

The toe thing started in July and I'm breaking runner protocol by it not having a stabbing pain before going to the doctor.  Shhh...don't tell anyone.

One stat that I haven't posted much about is Stride Length.  Avg stride length for the 12 mile run last week was 0.64 meters.  This 15 mile run (where I started the Garmin at mile 7.  Mile 7.), my stride length was never lower than 65 and averaged 67 for the last 8.72 miles.

So, a higher cadence produces a longer stride length.  A longer stride length causes my tootsies to touch the ground less and a faster pace.  Fewer steps, less damage to the feet, ankles, etc.

Now, I have to get the body to have muscle memory, eyes have to watch the pavement more on street runs, the lungs have to pick up the pace, arms, etc.

Running in circles may be the key.  Tomorrow, I'll run 5 on the streets at race cadence of 162-164.

I agree on your exit strategy.  The last mile showed a reduced cadence and a slower mile.  It was time to quit.  Weather in the morning will be about the same 72/64 temps.  Next Tuesday or Wednesday, it's supposed to have HIGHS in the 70's with snow possible in the panhandle.

Thanks, Nancy.  I'll keep plugging away, but I think the plodding days are plodding off into the sunset.
You are not paying attention to the protocol.  It has to be broken or excruciatingly painful (Mark) or you have to wait 40 years if the pain is just dull and annoying (me).  Get with the program Doug!

It's interesting that you mention that your stride length is longer as your pace increases...the whole plan for me was to keep my stride length constant while I increased my cadence hence decreasing heal strike.  I wasn't vey successful.  I made a small improvement at slower paces but as my speed increases so does my cadence and so does my stride length.  That's why I can't do easy pace runs at a higher cadence.  This running thing is harder than it looks!

To bad the weather didn't cooperate this morning.  Not a bad run for the conditions but your cadence did drop off.  I do think that you may not have been fully recovered from your Monday run.  It's that whole cumulative fatigue thing...

Snow in Texas?  We're back to mid-80s here.  Indian Summer weather.  But it's nice running conditions in the morning.  The short days cause it to warm up later and slower so I have time to get my runs in before it gets uncomfortable.

Keep plugging...I'll keep watching for Strava stats.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:48 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

You are not paying attention to the protocol.  It has to be broken or excruciatingly painful (Mark) or you have to wait 40 years if the pain is just dull and annoying (me).  Get with the program Doug!

It's interesting that you mention that your stride length is longer as your pace increases...the whole plan for me was to keep my stride length constant while I increased my cadence hence decreasing heal strike.  I wasn't vey successful.  I made a small improvement at slower paces but as my speed increases so does my cadence and so does my stride length.  That's why I can't do easy pace runs at a higher cadence.  This running thing is harder than it looks!

To bad the weather didn't cooperate this morning.  Not a bad run for the conditions but your cadence did drop off.  I do think that you may not have been fully recovered from your Monday run.  It's that whole cumulative fatigue thing...

Snow in Texas?  We're back to mid-80s here.  Indian Summer weather.  But it's nice running conditions in the morning.  The short days cause it to warm up later and slower so I have time to get my runs in before it gets uncomfortable.

Keep plugging...I'll keep watching for Strava stats.
I have a history of such shenanigans.  Like in December 2020, when I went to the ER for that chest pain that was angina.  Went home the same day.

Or that time in June 2021, when I had the stress test, hoping for a blocked artery if only to give me a clean, open artery.  Nope.  Passed that with flying colors. A METS of 10.5 & max HR that was 105% of a 64 year old.

I suck.  So I don't embarrass this board, I...I will only post at night, so I'm not seen online.  I can STILL cancel the appointment!!!  (fat chance of that.)

-30-

It's possible that Wednesday's 5 mile was too soon to hit a 160 cadence run.  Supposed to be 65 in the morning.  Dew points 75 miles north are in the 60's, now.  71 degree dew point here, now.  Maybe I'll just try that 5 miles at 160 in the morning, again.

That chance of snow in the panhandle melted.  But in a week, low temps...are you sitting down?...48 degrees in Houston.  Probably end up at 51, but it's still pretty durn chilly.  Tuesday, maybe a high in the 70s.  Time will tell.

I'll try to make the 5 happen with less bleeding of the pace.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:36 pm

The warm mornings are officially the best excuse for not running anything longer than 4 miles.  I was going to run this morning, but it was clear on Friday that it was going to be raining and 70s.  So, I could run yesterday, but it was in the 70s, too.  I did try, though.

A front has blown through today (hence the rain ahead of the front).  It's 66 right now.  In the morning, 55 as a low, so when I run probably 60.  Wednesday and Thursday...45.  It's been 191 days (early April) since a 45 has occurred.

But I'll take the 60 and, uh, run with it, tomorrow morning.  I'm thinking of seeing how far I can run in 5 hours, rather than a distance.  I have no earthly idea how this will work.  I may audible during it, but knowing I'll go for 5 hours (or 5 hours plus whatever the time to run to my car) gives me an end time.

-30-

Nancy, I need to fill in a blank regarding what I eat during a long run.  You know that I take fig newtons with me for 10+ runs and that I'm gradually lengthening the distance before I need one.  

Well, before the run and while I'm getting ready, I'll eat a bowl of cereal.  In the past, I would eat 2 scrambled eggs or fried eggs and a couple strips of bacon.

-30-

Finally and sadly, I didn't lift at all last week.  I'll get there this week.

thanks for reading.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:02 am

How is the calf feeling today?  Your run was looking good until you came up lame...  Was it something acute like stepping in a hole or twisting it or did it just come on with time?  Hope it's just a small blip in the training cycle and doesn't require a longer layoff.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:29 pm

nkrichards wrote:How is the calf feeling today?  Your run was looking good until you came up lame...  Was it something acute like stepping in a hole or twisting it or did it just come on with time?  Hope it's just a small blip in the training cycle and doesn't require a longer layoff.
The calf is feeling good, today.  I know it's not healed, yet.  Yesterday morning, I wrapped a bag of peas on the affected area with an ace bandage.  Then, I imagined I had a pencil between my big toe and 2nd toe and I was writing the alphabet to work the muscle where it would be worked. That exercise is best for ankle swelling, but I used it for the calf because it agitated the muscle.  Today, I iced it, then hit with the TENS, twice.  At lunch, I walked up a flight of stairs with no pain.  When I push on the small area, it hurts like a bruise would hurt.  I'll give it a whirl in the morning.

-30-

Tuesday morning, I ran in circles at Memorial Park.  Started at 12:23 a.m.  Everything was going well for about 3 miles, then the calf was whining some.  I didn't notice any stepping that caused it.  Then, on the 2nd mile of the 3rd loop it started hurting in 3 small locations in a small area.  Smaller than the palm of your hand.  It was almost a stabbing, but I knew I should stop.  So, I started walking back.  The pain was never a 'grab it with your hand' pain.  Just a growing event.

I had another small pain that made me stop, as well, for it to tell me if I should go on.  This was on the 3rd mile of the 2nd loop in an area of fresh crushed granite.  My right knee, probably the meniscus area, was hurting enough to buckle.  I stopped and let it relax.  I figure the depth of the new granite, which was like running on sand, caused an extra adjustment that the knee didn't want to handle.  It resolved and I went on.  I did not reach that part of the 3rd loop because the calf problem.

Prior to those maladies, I was having a good run!  Running at 155 spm.  Started the fig newtons at mile 8.  Through the first 5 miles I was at a 15:06 pace and I was gradually lowering the pace.  At mile 9, I was at 14:59.  Things were good.

While I was running, I remembered that on my last post that I would run 5 hours.  Then I thought, "that's almost 20 miles!"  Back on Sept 28, I ran 19 miles in 5:17:40 or a 16:43 pace.  That was the run where the last 3 miles were 17:55, 18:44, and 18:59.  Anywho, I didn't know if I could run 5 hours and I wondered if I meant 5 laps.

I have to tell you that while a loop is 3 miles, geographically, I have been running 4 miles per loop, so it doesn't seem like so many.  The 4th mile is a half mile out, then back, then start the next loop.

I'm not convinced, yet, that I'll be able to run the whole full, but that thought doesn't come to mind when on the road or trail.  It's all business when I'm running.

I am definitely faster, when it's cooler.  On Sept 28, the weather was 68/52 degrees.  I remember being pleased for running so many sub-16 splits.  6 out of the first 10 miles.  
On October 18, it was 59/40 degrees for the 10 mile then an injury run.  All 10 were 15:30 or less.  7 out of 10 were sub-15.

All in 3 weeks.  Still need to knock off 2 to 2-1/2 minutes per mile for the full.  But the last 3 weeks have been encouraging, when the temps are cool.

It was 42 degrees, this morning, which is the lowest since March.  It'll be 85 degrees on Friday and the next cold front comes next Tuesday.  So, my next long run will be cooler on Wednesday.

I have until the first or second week in December to switch to the Half.  I will wait until the last minute to decide.  I don't think that I'll run that Dallas marathon on Thanksgiving weekend.  That was to test if I could run that marathon in close to 6 hours...like a 6:05-6:10.  But, I'll keep plugging away.

Please collect your survey card, as you go.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:17 pm

This morning, it was clear, calm, and 53 degrees with a dew point of 44.  It was a combination of a recovery run, I guess, and to see how the right calf was doing.  4 miles on the streets.

While I thought I started running at 155 cadence (LR cadence), it was actually 157 for the first 3 and 159 for the 4th mile.  I was very much looking forward to the run to see how the calf was doing.  Started out and had no pain whatsoever.  Zip.  Guess it's healed!  I think I dodged a bullet, for now.

The first mile and a half were painless, but not fluid.  The gluteus medius was whining the most.  A little whining with the muscles on the lateral (outside) of both quads.  This all is indicative of trash in the lines, if it goes away around mile 1.5.  It did.  However, maintaining the 157 was like watching a tachometer wind up to higher rpms without getting in the yellow or red zone, while waiting for the shift to the 3rd gear, that never comes.

The 155 cadence on Tuesday's long run is 3rd gear.  Doable.  Just about comfortable.  Will never cause a sub-6 hour marathon.  I still think (rather hope) that 157 and 159 will become 3rd gear.  Just have to keep at it.

Shortly after the 3rd mile was complete, I increased the cadence to 159.  It was the 4th mile of 4, after all.

No body part EVER hurt.

4 miles, 59:19, 14:49 pace, 124 avg bpm, 157 avg cadence, 69 avg stride length
1.  14:49, 123 bpm, 157 spm, 70 sl
2.  15:04, 123 bpm, 157 spm, 68 sl
3.  15:04, 124 bpm, 157 spm, 67 sl
4.  14:21, 126 bpm, 158 spm, 70 sl

Cool air sure is nice, but down here, it's fleeting.  The High pressure that brought us the much colder air is moving east and we get a south wind, as a result.  Humidity.  Mid-80s.  Lows by Monday at 70 or so degrees.  Did I mention humidity?  

But the next front arrives Tuesday, so the cool air returns Wednesday morning.  Like Nancy's migrants that show up when the work is there, I do long runs when the cool weather shows up.  Long runs in the 70s are like the difference between a hamburger today, like you had all Summer, versus having that first, delicious steak of the Fall and wanting steak, instead of hamburger, whenever it shows up.  Same price, but you know when the steak shows up.

No question that I'm progressing.  I shall continue to progress.  The prize is still out there to be snatched.

Tomorrow afternoon is lifting.

Thanks for reading.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:10 pm

Great to hear about no pain and yes, fall weather is amazing. Onward and upward, as they say.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:52 pm

Julie wrote:Great to hear about no pain and yes, fall weather is amazing. Onward and upward, as they say.
Moochus graceeus, Julie.

-30-

I lifted, this afternoon.  It's the first time since the first week of October and I was a little weaker on the tasks that I have been doing for the past few months.  Since I have the weekend to recover, plus not doing a long run until Wednesday morning, I did a couple more tasks that I wouldn't be able to do in a 30 minute workout.  I still enjoy lifting a great deal.  

I will probably run Monday morning for 5 miles or similar.  Something to loosen things up before Wednesday.  Not sure of Wednesday's distance, but it'll be a teen distance.

Relax, this weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:22 am

Glad to hear you're going to listen to your body and adjust your goal (full/half) later in the training cycle.  I think the decision to skip the Thanksgiving marathon test run is a good one.  More moderate training runs will leave you better prepared for Houston.  I would be concerned that running a full on Thanksgiving weekend would require to much recovery time and take away from training.

Very happy to hear you dodged the bullet and that the calf is feeling better.

Also excited that you made it back to the gym to lift.  Not only do I think that strength training can make you a better runner but I'm also a big advocate of making this fun.  After all isn't that what we're after...especially at this age.  What is the point of living a longer healthy life if we don't enjoy it!!!

Keep looking at the positives...I see lots of them.  Enjoy the journey and choose what pleases you.  It's your journey!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:43 pm

nkrichards wrote:Glad to hear you're going to listen to your body and adjust your goal (full/half) later in the training cycle.  I think the decision to skip the Thanksgiving marathon test run is a good one.  More moderate training runs will leave you better prepared for Houston.  I would be concerned that running a full on Thanksgiving weekend would require to much recovery time and take away from training.

Also excited that you made it back to the gym to lift.  Not only do I think that strength training can make you a better runner but I'm also a big advocate of making this fun.  After all isn't that what we're after...especially at this age.  What is the point of living a longer healthy life if we don't enjoy it!!!

Keep looking at the positives...I see lots of them.  Enjoy the journey and choose what pleases you.  It's your journey!
Thanks, Nancy.  It's always been part of the journey to pass on the full, if I would not be able to officially finish the marathon in 6 hours.  I'm not going to put myself through that kind of effort and not finish officially.  I've done that and it leaves a real and enduring bad taste in my mouth.  I have until early December to drop to the Half, for which I'm 'adequately' trained. Wink

I ran 4 on Monday to make sure the legs know that it's not recovery time.  It was 76 degrees.

I'm running in the morning.  Something in the upper teens or 5 hours.  A cold front literally blew through, overnight.  The temp will be in the 50s, when I run.  The low is forecasted to be 50 in the city, which I am.  The wind should relax, too.  Great running weather in Houston.

On another subject...so, I went to the podiatrist, this afternoon.  He's a runner, was chasing the 50 States target, a rock climber.  They took a couple of xrays to rule out fracture and to see how the bones look.  I have some discomfort which doesn't make me limp and doesn't impede my running, so there's really nothing to do.  He sees runners that have that pain and it's in the Plantar Plate (see picture).  It obviously isn't too bad because I don't hurt enough to not walk.  The bottom picture is what my 2nd toe looks like from the outside...bent upwards at the 2nd joint.  I could have tingling and pain, which may have been a neuroma, but I don't.  

Training with Flies - Page 4 OIP.nQQgx4i_t5vmIx7Y4g_UfwHaI9?w=122&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.3&pid=1
And the 2nd toe's 3rd bone isn't sitting right on top of the 4th.  It slumps a bit to the left.  He thinks it's because the big toe is leaning like the Tower of Pisa into the top of the 2nd toe.  He could do an MRI to get in to the nitty gritty, but to what end?  It doesn't keep me from running.

I asked if the Plantar Plate thing is caused by my weight.  He said, "Absolutely not.  I have skinny runners in here with the same thing and hurting like hell."

So, that's it.

I'm off to be shortly.  Thanks for reading.  Nighty night.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:06 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Glad to hear you're going to listen to your body and adjust your goal (full/half) later in the training cycle.  I think the decision to skip the Thanksgiving marathon test run is a good one.  More moderate training runs will leave you better prepared for Houston.  I would be concerned that running a full on Thanksgiving weekend would require to much recovery time and take away from training.

Thanks, Nancy.  It's always been part of the journey to pass on the full, if I would not be able to officially finish the marathon in 6 hours.  I'm not going to put myself through that kind of effort and not finish officially.  I've done that and it leaves a real and enduring bad taste in my mouth.  I have until early December to drop to the Half, for which I'm 'adequately' trained. Wink

I ran 4 on Monday to make sure the legs know that it's not recovery time.  It was 76 degrees.

I'm running in the morning.  Something in the upper teens or 5 hours.  A cold front literally blew through, overnight.  The temp will be in the 50s, when I run.  The low is forecasted to be 50 in the city, which I am.  The wind should relax, too.  Great running weather in Houston.

On another subject...so, I went to the podiatrist, this afternoon.  He's a runner, was chasing the 50 States target, a rock climber.  They took a couple of xrays to rule out fracture and to see how the bones look.  I have some discomfort which doesn't make me limp and doesn't impede my running, so there's really nothing to do.  He sees runners that have that pain and it's in the Plantar Plate (see picture).  It obviously isn't too bad because I don't hurt enough to not walk.  The bottom picture is what my 2nd toe looks like from the outside...bent upwards at the 2nd joint.  I could have tingling and pain, which may have been a neuroma, but I don't.  

Training with Flies - Page 4 OIP.nQQgx4i_t5vmIx7Y4g_UfwHaI9?w=122&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.3&pid=1
And the 2nd toe's 3rd bone isn't sitting right on top of the 4th.  It slumps a bit to the left.  He thinks it's because the big toe is leaning like the Tower of Pisa into the top of the 2nd toe.  He could do an MRI to get in to the nitty gritty, but to what end?  It doesn't keep me from running.

I asked if the Plantar Plate thing is caused by my weight.  He said, "Absolutely not.  I have skinny runners in here with the same thing and hurting like hell."

So, that's it.

I know you were disappointed with your run on Wednesday morning.  It actually looked pretty good until it wasn't.  Cadence graph looked good till the last couple miles.  It was a good training run but I realize that you're running out of time to meet your Houston goals.  Can't say you didn't give it a good effort.

Marty had/has toe issues on both feet.  His toe lumps up like your x-ray shows.  I think they called it Morton's Toe...with complications.  His big toe slid over under the second toe if I remember correctly.  He finally had surgery on both feet...a few weeks apart.  They cut and reshaped bones and pulled the big toe out where it belonged.  He wears orthotics and toe spacers.  It is starting to revert back.  He's not impressed and wonders if they didn't do enough.  So far he's able to do most everything without to much pain...he's not a runner.

Hope you pain level stays manageable.  It is nice to know what they think is going on I guess.

Enjoy lifting.  I assume that if you have made the decision not to run the full you will continue to train and run the half.  If so...I'll see you on Strava.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:13 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

So, that's it.

I know you were disappointed with your run on Wednesday morning.  It actually looked pretty good until it wasn't.  Cadence graph looked good till the last couple miles.  It was a good training run but I realize that you're running out of time to meet your Houston goals.  Can't say you didn't give it a good effort.

Marty had/has toe issues on both feet.  His toe lumps up like your x-ray shows.  I think they called it Morton's Toe...with complications.  His big toe slid over under the second toe if I remember correctly.  He finally had surgery on both feet...a few weeks apart.  They cut and reshaped bones and pulled the big toe out where it belonged.  He wears orthotics and toe spacers.  It is starting to revert back.  He's not impressed and wonders if they didn't do enough.  So far he's able to do most everything without to much pain...he's not a runner.

Hope you pain level stays manageable.  It is nice to know what they think is going on I guess.

Enjoy lifting.  I assume that if you have made the decision not to run the full you will continue to train and run the half.  If so...I'll see you on Strava.
Yeah, it was disappointing, but I am not thinking that the time over the past 6 months was wasted.  Maybe halfway through 15, I noticed an anchor was getting heavier and heavier.  I was aiming for 20 miles.  The weather was as good as I could hope for.  But all along, as long as I could see progress or a reason why I didn't (usually heat), then I would keep seeking the full.

Now, I've switched races to the Half (there was a price increase on switching on Nov 1) and I'm not exactly overtrained for the Half, but let's just say that 13.1 miles will be much easier than back in January, when I could only run 7 miles on raceday.  I'll have to ponder how to get faster at the half, now.  Maybe run 12, 13, 14 mile long runs until January with the other 2 days as runs that will increase in distance and speed to the degree that the 2 days runs will be chasing the long run's distance, but never catch it.  Because the long run will be getting faster, thanks to the 2 day runs.

If nothing else, I've retrieved 1-2 hours of sleep and with DST ending soon, it won't feel as bad.  Maybe I can set a day to lift, too!

Sucks about Marty's tootsies.  I hope that stabilizes, as well as mine.  Where my toe is bent upwards is a friction spot from where the underside of the shoe rubs against the toe.

The upside to running the Half is that I finish with the less than 4 hour marathoners.  I can vicariously live like I'm finally, FINALLY, running a sub-4 marathon.  But in the back of my mind, I have empathy for those back-of-the-pack marathon runners.  Another upside is that I will be passing people right and left that, essentially, might could run 6 miles and walk the rest.

Nancy, if you have a half training plan in your notebook, I would appreciate looking at it.  Or maybe Hal's half plan.

Turn the page.  

Might have to look for a training plan of "Couch to half in 10 weeks."   Wink
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:06 pm

The upside to running the Half is that I finish with the less than 4 hour marathoners.  I can vicariously live like I'm finally, FINALLY, running a sub-4 marathon.  But in the back of my mind, I have empathy for those back-of-the-pack marathon runners.  Another upside is that I will be passing people right and left that, essentially, might could run 6 miles and walk the rest.

Nancy, if you have a half training plan in your notebook, I would appreciate looking at it.  Or maybe Hal's half plan.

Turn the page.  

Might have to look for a training plan of "Couch to half in 10 weeks."   Training with Flies - Page 4 Icon_wink

It's funny that you mention finishing with the sub-4 hour marathoners...something that I've never done btw.  Do you remember my story from my half in Eugene this spring.  I entered the track to finish and seconds later the winner of the marathon entered the track.  He passed me on the straight away and beat me to the finish line.  The crowd was on their feet and cheering wildly.  It was quite fun even though I knew they weren't cheering for me.  Katie was so busy watching him finish that she didn't even see me and I had to call her to meet me in the finish area.    Running cheers

I don't have anything saved that would help much with half marathon training.  I would suggest googling something that Hal put together.  I think his plans are still available on-line...not sure.  Be careful if you use something from Hanson/Humphrey.  Their "beginner" plans used to be geared toward very experienced runners who were moving up to their first half or full.  They were very aggressive plans and ramped up quickly after the first couple weeks.  I do believe they did put out some more appropriate plans for slower runners as their method gained popularity.  I have the marathon books but don't have the half-marathon books.  If I see anything on-line I'll send it your way.

And...you're not starting from the couch!  You've built up a very good base.

Did you see that Mark made it out for a run...barefoot...this weekend?
And Michele competed at the 70.3 (Half Ironman) Worlds in Utah on Saturday.  Impressive results on a very tough course with stiff competition and only a few weeks recovery after Berlin.

See you on Strava.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:43 pm

Did you know that Hal is 91?

Monday, with the marathon in the rear view mirror, I wanted to bump the cadence up and work on going.  It was 62 degrees, which is fine.  Sort of Goldilocks weather.  Cool enough to not fret about profusely sweating which turns efforts to going faster.

I started at 157 cadence and rode that horsey 4 miles with a good effort and some labored breathing, which is great!  I have to get the breathing under control by running harder.  The heart is ridin' that hammock in the low 120's.   Mad  Well, that's a summer full of plodding for ya.  At least, 1 body part benefitted. Rolling Eyes

I bumped the cadence to 158 for the 5th mile and 159 for the 6th mile.  I'm really pleased with how this run went.

The idea is to use these sub-14 splits and gradually drag the long run splits into the 14's.  Have you noticed that the cadence on the long runs is within 1 or 2 steps of the short runs?  Not sure if I'm holding back my pace on long runs, while turning it looser on the short runs.  I hope that as the Winter moves along that I'll be able to slide the pace.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:39 pm

Now, to today.  For now, Wednesdays seem to be a better long run day than Mondays.

Not having to run high-teen long runs anymore, I get more sleep!  It was 60 degrees, this morning.  It had rained most of yesterday with the slow, soaking type of rain.  The 3 mile loop had spots of water over the width of the trail, but by the 3rd loop, I just ran through the puddles.

It was another 12 mile run, this time 4 loops of 3 miles.  The last long run I did was last Wednesday's 16.  The cadence was 155, as was the prior week's 10.3, when my calf had its issues.  So, today I bumped it up to 156.  156 was a comfortable pace up to mile 7, when I was needing to breathe through my mouth for the rest of the run.  I never lost 156 during the whole run, but physiologically, it was more labored.  HR went through the 130s for miles 9-11 and mile 12 had a 141 average.  Poor heart had to get out of the hammock. Sad

The Garmin recorded ALL 157 spm splits, except for mile 6's 156.
The Polar recorded miles 6-12 below 15 minute splits and 6 of those 7 splits were in the 14:30s.  So, the run was 3 hours and 4 seconds or a 15 minute average pace.

I'm on a good path to reducing the pace up to raceday.  Not training for the full has been kind of freeing on pace and cadence.  I can do a higher effort sooner.  Just have to figure out the proper steps to reduce the splits and increase the cadence.  I kinda think that 12 mile long runs can be the only distance until January.  I can certainly run 1.1 extra miles on raceday.  The body will be used to the distance.  The only difference is concrete versus packed, crushed granite.  AND day versus night.

Hal's Intermediate 1 program is 12 weeks long, run 5 days and a 4 mile first week long run.  The 12 mile long run is on week 11.

Thanks.  Comments are welcome, but not compensated.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:51 pm

Timing is everything.  This morning it was 72 degrees with 100% humidity.  Just 10 degrees warmer than Wednesday.

I wasn't planning on running anyway.  Woke up with no niggles, too!  Planning on running 6 in the morning.

I'm going to take a look at Hal's HM3 program.  The 3 is # of days to run on the schedule.

Nancy, I might even warm up for a half mile or a mile.  I know, I know.  Alert the media! affraid

We'll see.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:44 pm

ounce wrote:Timing is everything.  This morning it was 72 degrees with 100% humidity.  Just 10 degrees warmer than Wednesday.

I wasn't planning on running anyway.  Woke up with no niggles, too!  Planning on running 6 in the morning.

I'm going to take a look at Hal's HM3 program.  The 3 is # of days to run on the schedule.

Nancy, I might even warm up for a half mile or a mile.  I know, I know.  Alert the media! affraid

We'll see.
Good to see we can all still laugh at our individual challenges.  Laughing  Do you realize how many years I ran before I finally started warming up and cooling down.  It's only on days you're running a slightly faster tempo...on long run days your first mile is your warmup.  Running

Cadence is still challenging for me...as is running at lower HR efforts.  

But I'm having fun and it seems like now that you've accepted dropping to the half you seem to be enjoying training more...and running well!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:26 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:Timing is everything.  This morning it was 72 degrees with 100% humidity.  Just 10 degrees warmer than Wednesday.

We'll see.
Good to see we can all still laugh at our individual challenges.  Laughing  Do you realize how many years I ran before I finally started warming up and cooling down.  It's only on days you're running a slightly faster tempo...on long run days your first mile is your warmup.  Running

Cadence is still challenging for me...as is running at lower HR efforts.  

But I'm having fun and it seems like now that you've accepted dropping to the half you seem to be enjoying training more...and running well!
I have so much more latitude, now, by training for a half.  
The time limit is 4 hours.   Approval
I have long runs of 19, 16, 12, and 10 under my belt.   Approval
I have no niggles, as a result. Approval Approval
10 weeks until the race, so plenty of time to work on pace.   Approval
Planning on running 12's for about 8 weeks or so.  There'll be soooo much muscle memory, no matter the time.  The week before Christmas, I'll be off and a 1 week taper...maybe 2.  January 15 is the race.

Cadence will come.  On today's 8 of yours, your HR was pokey from mile 2 to 8, just going up 1 or 2 (except mile 4's +4) and your run on 10/29 with Janice had a BUNCH of 130's at the 12:xx pace.  I had 120s & 130's at a 14:xx.  So maybe, juuuust maybe, our HR's are not too different for the paces.  And yours is probably just fine and probably more efficient than mine.

Ah, statistics.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:48 am

You've put yourself in a good position to run a very good half in January.  I think maybe it's easier for me to recognize your preparedness than it is to recognize mine.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:19 am

nkrichards wrote:You've put yourself in a good position to run a very good half in January.  I think maybe it's easier for me to recognize your preparedness than it is to recognize mine.
Isn't that always the case?  We see others without the baggage of caveats.  I probably could've acquiesced a month ago that a full wasn't in the cards.  But I was waiting for the data.  that one or two pieces of data showing I was not continuing to advance.  I got it on that 16 mile run.

I gave up running in Dallas because I knew I couldn't make it in 6 hours by Thanksgiving.  But maybe, just maybe, I could use the extra month to get faster.  The 16 proved that January was too soon to run a 6 hour marathon.  A 16 minute pace for a 7 hour marathon in January would be possible, but not 6 hours.

Life in the back of the pack.

-30-

I didn't run today.  I watched the end of the Astros' game.  Good game.  Can seal the deal on Saturday night at Minute Maid Park, which is nicknamed "The Juice Box."

In lieu of running (it's 75 with 100% humidity, at this writing), I'm going to go lift.

Thanks, Nancy.  Have a good weekend.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:34 am

Turned the game on last night in time to see the last out of the 4th inning.  I wouldn't say that I watched the game but it was on in the background and I looked up when the crowd cheered.  Congrats to the Astros.  cheers
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:48 am

nkrichards wrote:Turned the game on last night in time to see the last out of the 4th inning.  I wouldn't say that I watched the game but it was on in the background and I looked up when the crowd cheered.  Congrats to the Astros.  cheers
It was a good series.  The Astros are incredibly deep in pitching and were in the right place at the right time on defense in most cases.

The parade is today and it'll be in the 80s.  I'll be working, but with it on in the background.

-30-

I didn't run this morning because I'm hoping to have something cooler than 75 degrees.  I get to run, this coming weekend, so I'll do my 12 then.  

When I lifted on Friday, it was the first time in 2 weeks.  I can report that while working out once a week allows me to maintain most of the weight amounts lifted, working out once every 2 weeks does not.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:07 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:Turned the game on last night in time to see the last out of the 4th inning.  I wouldn't say that I watched the game but it was on in the background and I looked up when the crowd cheered.  Congrats to the Astros.  cheers
It was a good series.  The Astros are incredibly deep in pitching and were in the right place at the right time on defense in most cases.

The parade is today and it'll be in the 80s.  I'll be working, but with it on in the background.

-30-

I didn't run this morning because I'm hoping to have something cooler than 75 degrees.  I get to run, this coming weekend, so I'll do my 12 then.  

When I lifted on Friday, it was the first time in 2 weeks.  I can report that while working out once a week allows me to maintain most of the weight amounts lifted, working out once every 2 weeks does not.
You can have some of our icy weather...I'm tired of it.  Fortunately it's warmed enough that by mid-day the roads are clear and safe but the wind is brutal.

Hope your weather cools to a more comfortable level.  I'll be watching for your activity on Strava.

And happy lifting...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next