365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails and Travails

+34
jon c
T Miller
Nick Morris
Tim C
Jim Lentz
GregC
JohnP
Michael Enright
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Paula Sue
Randy E
mul21
Tom H
Neil Ruggiero
ChasMcG
John Kilpatrick
Mark B
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Seth Harrison
Tea from RonItch
dot520
Jeff F
Matt W
Jerry
Dave-O
Natalie
Michele "1L" Keane
Mrs. Schuey
Chris M
Kenny B.
Schuey
Mike MacLellan
38 posters

Page 15 of 27 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21 ... 27  Next

Go down

Trails and Travails - Page 15 Empty Re: Trails and Travails

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:52 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Removing blackberry thorns while navigating a trail and chatting with another runner: maybe the definition of ultra-races?

Boy, I hope so. Very Happy

Nice job on the race. Even with a small field, a win's a win.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:32 pm

Small race, but 20 minutes? That is still awesome and impresses the hell out of me! Can't believe you were heading out to do 3 hours tomorrow - but then again, I guess I can believe it. I'm just jealous, that's all. I think 90 miles would leave me in a crumpled heap somewhere... I know you didn't consider this a race, but I agree it was a good affirmation of all of the hard work that you have been putting in. I know you already have a mom and dad, but be careful...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:53 am

Race report's up. And John, it wasn't just 20... Very Happy

---

3 hours as scheduled. First 20-30 were kind of tired - late night eating lots of good food in Davis and drinking a few beers with the whole family - but I told myself I wasn't going to look at my watch at all. Period. At least, not until I finished the first 7.5 mile loop.

Each loop started and ended at my brother's place, so I had set out a tall glass of water and an extra granola bar on his front porch. End of first lap, I pushed the lap button on my Garmin and headed in to use the restroom really quick and look for some sunscreen. None to be found, so after about 2 minutes, I was off again. I happened to notice that my time for the lap was 59:40. Almost a perfect 8:00 pace.

Didn't look at the watch at all for the next two laps. In the middle of lap two, I put forth a slight effort where the road curved for .75 miles. Yes, the curve is that long. Turns out that effort was a 7:20 pace, building from 7:25 to 7:15. Nice. Took it easy the entire remainder of the run, just running according to how I felt. My hips were a little sore from yesterday, but really, the muscles used for trail running are COMPLETELY different than those used for flat roads. The only time I felt any - ANY - residual soreness was on the little overpass as the road goes over a railroad track.

Finished up lap 3 in 2:55:xx, and noticed I was just under a half mile from 23 miles even. Went for the full 3 hours/23 miles and finished in 3:00:09. Average pace 7:51 (first half hour was 8:25, it turns out, so I made up a bit of time after that, averaging 7:44 the last 2 hours) and average effort level was piece-of-cake. Love days like today.

Back in Auburn now, parents spending their last night in Davis before going home. School starts tomorrow. Skyping with Aileen. Things are still transitory, but at least they're looking up.

---

Here's the one picture I have from the race. My mother will appreciate that I cropped her out of it, as she hates photos of herself. I captioned it "#winning" on Facebook. Very Happy

Trails and Travails - Page 15 297124_10100421548185884_3314855_56149776_7332089_n
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:32 am

Great job Mike. Great race and great training going on.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks Alex. Great is how I feel since Saturday, and that's a nice change.

4.2 @ 8:19 (this was a zero effort run; loving the pace) this morning. Nice to shake out the little creaks, of which there weren't many at all, on my first morning sans parental units up here. Came home to eggs in the fridge - thanks to my brother's chickens - and a list of to-dos that are to-done. It's been a productive morning, and I haven't even gone to class yet.

3 more recovery miles after class tonight.

I could get used to this...
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Cool photo, Mike!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Finally catching up on my blog reading. Some more good running that you are putting in. Hopefully school doesn't get in the way Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:51 pm

23 miles makes a nice easy recovery run, Mike. If your Dean Karzanes! Twisted Evil

Nice photo!

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:06 am

Nick - Fingers crossed. I don't like that whole first-week-overwhelmed feeling. But I've got it right now.

Mark - Dean? Really? C'mon, man... Wink

---

3.05 recovery miles after class today. Was nice to have a run to unwind, but I'm definitely looking forward to it being cool enough to run at 6:30 when I get home instead of having to wait until almost 8:00. Left hamstring is tight, so I'll be nursing it the next couple days so I can hit the trails and enjoy them on Wednesday.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:00 pm

7.2x @ 7:55 pace this morning. Started slow and kind of not motivated, no real zip in the legs, and did the first 4.2 @ 8:04. Then the hills (as opposed to little rollers) came and I somehow sped up. I'll take it.

Hoping to meet up with a group - from meetup.com, notice the pun? - and hit a relatively flat trail after class today. That'd be another 7.5ish miles.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:16 pm

Looking good, Mike. It's weird, even before I started doing targeted hill work, it seemed that my legs wouldn't wake up until I ran up some hills and/or ravines. They like a challenge. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:04 am

I think it's the mountain goat in me, Mark. Love them hills.

Speaking of... Pretty rolly 8 miles on some new trails tonight. There's a group on meetup.com that meets pretty often near Folsom Lake, so I decided to cruise over for their Tuesday night run after classes today. Pretty much a show-up-and-run-your-own-run thing, but I paced with the group leader for the first 4, then he went another mile before turning whereas I was satisfied with 8. Overall pace 8:11. Didn't hurt, didn't feel great. Well, part felt great. Got a bit over it at the end. Long day.

Two laps on K2 tomorrow. That'll be a fantastic elevation chart.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:11 am

Seriously, the stuff you're throwing down right now, you'd go under 3:00 easily in a marathon at this point. Nice back to back on the weekend and great job on the win, even if it was a small race.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:09 am

Your running is looking fantastic, Mike! When is your next race?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:34 am

Big props to you on the win. I've won a couple of relay races where it becomes clear early on that the win is in the bag and I know it can be a bit of a struggle to really push it without the competition. But that's a nice run you did and you are bouncing right back and throwing down nice runs on the tough terrain around there. Sub 3:00 does appear to be the next logical step for you to take. Is there a road marathon in your near future?
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:17 pm

Looks like you guys have caught on to the bigger-bigger picture of what's going on this training cycle. Aside from doing my first 50 miler - the main goal of this training cycle - I'm hoping that this will put me on an accelerated track for breaking 3 hours sometime early spring. Mid-April, if I'm lucky... cough cough. But until then, no attempts at a PR. I might run a road marathon or two - Napa looks fun, especially if a number of 365ers are there - as well as a road 50k as training runs for the 50 miler.

---

Lesson of the day: there are trails, and then there are mountains. Now I understand what the leader of yesterday's group run meant when he said "once you're in mountain shape, you're golden." I admittedly think I have a huge step up on most people when it comes to being in mountain shape, but today's run was humbling and taught me that I still have a ways to go.

It wasn't so much the mountain itself - affectionately referred to as "Training Hill" and "K2" but never its real name (have to check my trail map for this one): "Pointed Rocks FTB" (whatever FTB means) - that killed me as was it the residual fatigue of the past 10 days and the massive elevation change bookending the meat of my run. Not that K2 itself isn't a beast... It is. 7 false summits within a mile, with 30% gradients in between.

So, the loose plan was 2x the Training Hill loop, which I've seen pegged at anywhere from 3.75-4.5 miles. I thought it was 4 miles from my house to the base of the hill, maybe a little more, so this would make a perfect 17. Well, from my house to the base is 5.1, and the loop itself is 4.14 (with 1200' gain/loss). The math adds up to 18.5 if I did it twice, and that was a bit much. So I improvised a bit.

Knew when I started that today wasn't going to be impressive, in terms of pace. Definitely got a little excited last night and put a bit too much effort into it, and I wasn't expecting the course to be constant rollers. So the quads were sore and the legs didn't want to zip down the hills. That's okay; I didn't force them to.

I hit a groove about 1:10 in, but lost it once I started up K2 the second time. Took a super steep shortcut back down to the backside of the loop, then headed back over the bridge and up towards Auburn.

Eh, I'll just let the elevation chart do the talking.
16.23 miles total @ 9:30 average pace (oof). For those of you who know the Auburn trail system, here's what each segment encompassed:
1. Home to Overlook Park
2. Overlook to No Hands Bridge via WS trail and Robie Point FBT
3. No Hands Bridge to base of K2
4. K2 to a small singletrack at the top
5. Singletrack (meets back up with Pointed Rocks) to WS junction
6. WS junction to base of K2
7. K2 to Pig Farm Trail
8. Pig Farm Trail back to WS trail
9. WS trail to base of K2
10. K2 to home via the same trails used on the way

Trails and Travails - Page 15 824run10

Oh, and I took my first real fall today. Always wondered what kind of idiot it took to fall on a trail. Well, combine spotty sunlight, sweaty sunglasses, tired legs, and some half-buried rocks on a short, steep downhill and this idiot takes a fall. Fortunately rolled onto my Camelback and have only (very) minor abrasions on my hands.

Also had to ward off a young male deer that seemed to want to play "chase." Mother fucker.

Lastly, it takes me 16 minutes to get up K2. Hoping to build to 3 repeats at that pace before December.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:50 pm

Mike, awesome running lately. Your 3 hour "recovery" run after the race is pretty damned amazing, as is that crazy hill run. Cool photo from the race also!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:27 pm

There are two types of trail runners, those that have fallen and those that will.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:41 pm

There are two types of trail runners. Those who have not been chased by amorous deer, and Mike. Cool

So jealous of the mountains so close to your house. I'd have to do a bazillion hill repeats to match your climbs without driving somewhere.

Last edited by Mark B on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : D'oh! I blew it by leaving out the word "not!" I fixed it above.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:51 am

Mike I would agree with everyone that a sub-3 is in the bag with the training you've been doing. Great job.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:30 am

Hey Mike, just checking in. It looks like you will have a sub 3 in the bag if you would just decide on a race. You seem to be firing on all cylinders right now.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:07 am

wow great mountain run! Sorry about the deer. He just wanted to say hi.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:Mike, awesome running lately. Your 3 hour "recovery" run after the race is pretty damned amazing, as is that crazy hill run. Cool photo from the race also!

I think had I truly raced the 18 miler, I'd have been slowed down a bit on that 3 hour run the next day... But what I'm noticing most with this ridiculous training regimen I've given myself is that my legs are recovering REALLY quickly. Both mid-run and between runs. For the most part. It's kind of nice.

Jim Lentz wrote:There are two types of trail runners, those that have fallen and those that will.
Mark B wrote:There are two types of trail runners. Those who have been chased by amorous deer, and Mike. Cool

Jim - I'm a convert; I now agree with that statement.
Mark - But wait, wouldn't those two types both encompass me? I feel so... split.

Alex Kubacki wrote:Mike I would agree with everyone that a sub-3 is in the bag with the training you've been doing. Great job.
T Miller wrote:Hey Mike, just checking in. It looks like you will have a sub 3 in the bag if you would just decide on a race. You seem to be firing on all cylinders right now.

Alex/Tim - Seems to be a consensus going around. I'm hoping you guys are all right and that I am able to retain most of my gains from this cycle during my "down" month in December. And I've decided on an ideal race, it's just a matter of whether 2:08-below-qualifying is good enough to get in this year.

Julie wrote:wow great mountain run! Sorry about the deer. He just wanted to say hi.

He definitely wanted to play. I just didn't want to get mowed down by him. This was only about 10 minutes before I took my spill, so my level of fatigue was creeping up there.

I didn't mention another weird possible animal encounter... Going up K2 the second time, I heard something somewhere off the side of the trail, then heard what sounded like - I kid you not - a horse fart. Not that I really know what that sounds like, but it was expelled air, a good burst of it, and I didn't want to imagine that it was a bear "hissing," like what happened this year in the WS100. So, horse fart. No idea what it was. I clapped a few times and made my presence known, then carried on. In hindsight, maybe it was another hiker/runner on a potty break who thinks I was applauding their bowel movement? Hm.

---

Weird when this happens, especially after a tough day like yesterday: the legs wanted to go from the first few steps, so I let them. About 1.75 miles in, changed up my breathing to accommodate the speed and just went from there. First lap (this was a lollipop course) averaged 7:32, overall average was 7:15 (GA effort) with the last third of a mile gradually building from MP to ~VO2max effort. 8.5x miles total. Gonna post the elevation chart for this later, as this is the "flat" run. Flat. Sure.

4.5-5 with another group tonight; that is, if I can make it to the meet-up in time. Gonna be rushed after class.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:24 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:
Mark B wrote:There are two types of trail runners. Those who have NOT been chased by an amorous deer, and Mike. Cool
Mark - But wait, wouldn't those two types both encompass me? I feel so... split.

D'oh! Stupid typo. I fixed it above so it actually makes sense. Well, as much as I usually do, anyway. geek

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Thought that's what you meant. Then I started wondering whether playing with deer was common among trail-runners. In which case, maybe Auburn ISN'T the right place for me... Wink
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 27 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21 ... 27  Next