365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Around the Lake Friday Night Marathon

+6
John Kilpatrick
Peg Coover
Jim Lentz
Julie
Schuey
Alex Kubacki
10 posters

Go down

Around the Lake Friday Night Marathon Empty Around the Lake Friday Night Marathon

Post  Alex Kubacki Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:06 pm

I did this last night as a training run. The plan was slow and easy. I didn't taper and didn't fuel the way I normally would. It's about 3.2M around a lake and you do 8 laps and a partial before the first. Thankfully the TStorms didn't come but it did rain off and on and it was really humid with a dew point around 70.

The night did not go the way I hoped. Whatever water they had did not agree with my stomach. That's never happened before. I was having severe pains and "issues". I was forced to hit the porta-potty after each lap and burned time in there. Of course this was causing me to be even more dehydrated which meant I had to take even more water which caused even greater pain. They had HEED as well and was taking it too but overall I couldn't keep up and was getting pretty dehydrated.

After the final pit stop I headed out on my final lap and I said screw this, I'm running this final lap as hard as I can. Probably not smart as I ran a bunch of pace miles on last weekends long run. I was just sick of being out there at this point. I was sick of the stomach problems, the pit stops every lap, the dehydration, and the rain was really coming down at this point. I just wanted this thing to be over. So I ran hard as I could.

I finished with a total time of 4:22:25 while losing about 15-20min from the pit stops. Not exactly a fun night but in the end I got it done and can now get back to my training. Of course I still had a 2hr drive back home and it was around midnight when I left. Thanks for reading.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Around the Lake Friday Night Marathon Empty Re: Around the Lake Friday Night Marathon

Post  Schuey Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Well I'm sorry it didn't go as well as you planned. the stomach issues don't sound like fun, that is strange that it happen from water.

Now to spin this around the positive thing is that it was a nice long run with a lot of time on your feet. And the purpose of this marathon was to use it as a training running and that is what it ended up being. Like you said you didn't taper, did fuel for it so it was a good stress on your body. You might not think so right now but I'm sure there were be some benefits that come out of last nights event.

Don't let it bring you down move forward and look at it for what it was worth a nice long training run. Good job getting it done.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Around the Lake Friday Night Marathon Empty Re: Around the Lake Friday Night Marathon

Post  Julie Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:43 pm

sorry for the GI problems and overall crummy weather. You did do a good job though, you got a really long run in and you're all the more trained for your goal marathon. I understand the just wanting a marathon to be over feeling and pushing it at the end just to be finished. Your training has been terrific and I know you'll have a great race this fall.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:20 pm

The largest issue in bleeding time was probably the dehydration.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:55 pm

Wow Alex--I'm so impressed you finished the "training run" with all the stomach issues you had, and with the humidity. This one will make you tougher than you already are!!!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:20 pm

Good job on getting it done - under those conditions I'm sure many would not of! I can't believe after all of that and at that time of night you jumped in your car and drove home! I agree that was an impressive time-on-your-feet run.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:16 pm

Just got to reading this sounds dam miserable. But this journey, has its, well journeys. scratch
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:20 pm

Stomach issues are just awful and I'm never sure why they happen. I had a similar problem at the Boilermaker, but have not had the issue in quite sometime in training. Glad you were able to tough it out anyway.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:21 pm

Sorry. But a July marathon is supposed to be miserable.

Congratulations to get it done!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:30 am

Good job finishing up a very tough "training" run Alex. Running a marathon in late July, no matter the hour, isn't going to be easy.
After my miserable time in Boston, I had considered this marathon as an opportunity to get the BQ back, but there was no way I was going to be ready for it. It looks like the conditions weren't optimal anyway.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down