365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 day training week?

4 posters

Go down

10 day training week? Empty 10 day training week?

Post  carleenp Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm already starting to plan for my training for spring (I plan to run the Illinois marathon). Reflecting on my problem areas that tend to mess with my training, I find that I recover very slowly from both long runs and pace runs, and that makes it hard for me to get in all the pace runs that I would like and leaves me feeling more beat up than I should feel. I also find that I never quite am fresh at the end of 3 week taper, I think I really need 4.

So, I am looking at a 10 day training week instead of 7. It would look something like this:
1 rest
2 easy or cross
3 easy
4 pace (medium-long run)
5 rest
6 easy
7 med-long run easy (fast finish or some fartlek mixed in once in awhile)
8 easy or rest
9 easy
10 long

This would also work out to about a 4 week taper. My overall length of training would probably increase to about 20 weeks doing this. My longs runs would progress something like this (starting from a base of regular 10-12 for the long run): 13, 10, 14, 16, 11, 16, 16, 12, 18, 20, 14, 20 then taper. My medium-long runs would almost always be around 8, maybe a few at 10. I also put three 16s in there because that seems like the distance where I tend to always feel like I had a really good workout without feeling super broken down.

Thoughts? Has anyone done a program like this? I'm really sort of just pulling my numbers out of the air to some extent!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

10 day training week? Empty Re: 10 day training week?

Post  Dave-O Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:37 am

I've always wanted to try a 10-day training "week." Long runs don't come as naturally to me either, and I think the 10-day cycle is a great idea. If you have the flexibility to do long runs during the week, I say go for it.

I would advise aganist the 4 week taper though. That's a long taper, and if you're already spacing out the long runs, don't think its necessary.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm intrigued by the 10 day week as that would work for me as well. And like Dave-O, I like everything you've laid out but the 4 wk taper as I think it is too long and you'll lose your sharpness. Myself, I use only a 2 wk taper, and I don't recover as well as I would like anymore. However, I find that I need the mental sharpness more than the physical rest when it actually comes to race day. If I can turn it on mentally, the rest follows. We are all an experiment of one however, which is why we all approach this marathon training thing with different plans.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:31 pm

I was waiting for some more experienced people to chime in before I added my 2 cents, but I was feeling the same way about a 4-week taper. Some people even think 3 is too long. And I, too, have heard good things about the 10-day cycle.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm definitely going to try the 10 day "week." I played around with it on a calendar and decided that I really like it. I'll actually probably end up running a bit more miles on it overall, yet will have rest days in all the key places that I could never get into one week. I work from home several days per week and have some flexibility with that so that I can do long runs on weekdays with no real problems.

I'm torn on the 4 week taper. Every taper I end up feeling not quite ready at the end of three weeks and find myself wishing I had even a few more days. But at the same time, the idea of 4 weeks does rather freak me out, and I worry about feeling flat. I think I'll go for the 3 weeks based on all your advice and based on the idea that the 10 days spacing all along might leave me not feeling quite as beat up as other times. Plus, I think my feeling not quite ready at the ends of tapers is mostly all in my head anyway. I always complain that my legs still hurt and then it all disappears when the marathon actually starts.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down