365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book

+5
Kenny B.
Alex Kubacki
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
9 posters

Go down

Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book Empty Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book

Post  Julie Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:43 pm

Is this a must-read and own book or do you think his articles and training programs online are enough? I really liked his 55/18 program I followed this summer and wonder if I could learn more to apply to my next marathon.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book Empty Re: Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:45 pm

When I bought the book, none of his training plans or advice was online. If you like to read or need a hard copy to refer to, then it is worth it - if not, his website is very informative.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book Empty Re: Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning book

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:03 pm

It explains the reasoning behind his training plans as well as offers suggestions about how to personalize them. Not sure if his website does that, but that's about the only added benefit.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:27 am

I have this one. He gets into the science aspect of it more. I don't know what's on his website but for me his first chapter is worth keeping on the shelves for quick reference. That's just me though.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:28 am

I read the book inside and out and thought it was well worth it. Tons of valuable information that any runner should know. He gives reasons behind his workouts etc. I like to pick a plan and know what I am running today's run. After some cycles you can tweak your plan on your own by using his or other training plans as a base. At least that is what I did. I'd also look into Brad Hudsons Book. A bit of different take on running!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:37 am

Thanks all, if I'd be looking into Hudson as well, is there a good first book to read for him?

I am guessing I'll have extra reading time this winter when it's too icy to run outside.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:12 am

Advanced marathoning is a must have cause it explains lots of fundamentals like text book. Run Faster has Hudson's own opinions like a reference book. You may like it, may not.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:30 am

I really like the Pfinzinger book. He has a lot of info on the website, but having a book to grab and reference, or take as a refresher on a plane ride I find to be convenient.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:43 am

I will plan to get the Pfitzinger book. I do like having a reference and do enjoy reading although I'm also always attacking clutter and trying not to own anything we don't use. Wouldn't you know our library doesn't have this book.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:57 pm

I think its a must own, as is Hudson's Run Faster, but it depends on how much you like learning about the micro-details of the training plan.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks Dave. I am interested in the whys of training and really interested in anything that will help me reach my goals right now.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack_Scaff Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:04 am

I know of another book you mgiht be interested. You can say you know the shill son of the author. Info in a post near you soon.
Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down