365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can't decide do I switch marathons this weekend?

+6
Jerry
JohnP
Admin
Michael Enright
mul21
Kenny B.
10 posters

Go down

Can't decide do I switch marathons this weekend? Empty Can't decide do I switch marathons this weekend?

Post  Kenny B. Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:41 pm

I am scheduled to run Hartford Saturday but weather calls for 22-25 mph winds 52-55 while running partly sunny headed in S direction. This is pretty strong winds to get my BQ especially since miles 18-24 are headed south. I can cancel my hotel stay up until the day of my stay so that is good.

My alternative is the Atlantic City Marathon on Sunday 11mph winds 55-60+degrees Sunny. It would cost me $100 more total which is a non-issue. I'd have to register at expo Drive down on Saturday is only 1:30 min vs. 3:20 drive. Weather is warmer but not as windy. But it is an out and back on the boardwalk and weather can change.

I have basically until tomorrow night to make final decision so I will check weather but assuming no changes what would you do in this situation.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Can't decide do I switch marathons this weekend? Empty Re: Can't decide do I switch marathons this weekend?

Post  mul21 Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:45 pm

Winds not quite that strong cost me somewhere between 1 and 3 minutes this spring I would bet. If it was me, I'd do a hard MP run and then re-taper for Philly and go for the BQ there since it doesn't sound like either race will have ideal conditions.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Can't decide do I switch marathons this weekend? Empty Re: Can't decide do I switch marathons this weekend?

Post  Michael Enright Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:09 pm

If the forecast holds, i would switch. That is a long late-race stretch that is straight south and not sheltered from the wind. But the forecast has been mighty unreliable and rapidly-changing here.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:16 pm

I'd go with lower temps because wind predictions are more suspect. You could have almost no wind on race day. You could plan for both... if the wind is bad on race day, don't run and do the Sunday race.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:19 pm

That's a tough call Kenny. Winds cost me about 5 minutes I think at CIM a few years ago. But warm weather is just as tough. I agree that temps are more predictable than winds so I can only hope the winds will die down for you.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:31 am

Mr MattM wrote:I'd go with lower temps because wind predictions are more suspect. You could have almost no wind on race day. You could plan for both... if the wind is bad on race day, don't run and do the Sunday race.

I agree. Besides, I am not going to spend $100 to switch to a non perfect condition. Besides besides, you still have time. Don't be too desperate. Besides besides besides,you may just have it under the 22-25mph wind.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:27 am

Update

AC looks to be cooler now at 47 degrees during the race 12-13 mph winds

Hartford warmer 51 to 60 13-17mph winds at 17 during 18-24 still south.

Looks like ac might be the better move. Waiting game at this point. Need to make decision by tonight.

Might drive down fri or sat register and then drive back sunday to race ac. Save me 2$50 race starts 8am leave house 5:30. More and more this makes sense.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:26 am

The northeast makes it very difficult to chase weather. I never trust any forecast until I look out the window. You could switch and end up burned. Whatever one you chose I would just look at the weather that morning then if it's not right treat it as a long run or do the half if they have one. Then wait for Philly to make your attempt.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:00 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:The northeast makes it very difficult to chase weather. I never trust any forecast until I look out the window. You could switch and end up burned. Whatever one you chose I would just look at the weather that morning then if it's not right treat it as a long run or do the half if they have one. Then wait for Philly to make your attempt.

I would then choose AC as I can look out my window that day and just drive their accordingly. Hartford I'd have to drive up Friday night stay at hotel then look out window. lol!

Agree, weather changes very quickly! AC seems the safer bet!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:30 am

Kenny B. wrote:AC seems the safer bet!

House always wins. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:46 am

Jerry wrote:

House always wins. lol!

Agree. Roll the dice. I think if I am going to take a chance AC makes more sense. Unless the weather changes between now and then dramtically AC is where I will be. Ill actually save over $200.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:53 am

Kenny B. wrote:
Jerry wrote:

House always wins. lol!

Agree. Roll the dice. I think if I am going to take a chance AC makes more sense. Unless the weather changes between now and then dramtically AC is where I will be. Ill actually save over $200.

Good choice...I would make the change to Atlantic City...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Jerry wrote:

House always wins. lol!

Shame on AC or Donald Trump if you end up saving $200. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Wind really scares me. but you never know with weather,I'd consider switching and really really hope the sunday weather is good
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:05 pm

amyjoann wrote:Wind really scares me. but you never know with weather,I'd consider switching and really really hope the sunday weather is good

It's hit or miss on both but hartford seems to be worse odds. So AC is the better play here.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:10 pm

Well, as of the other day GR was great weather, now it is showing as raining - yuk, but better than heat in my book.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:05 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Well, as of the other day GR was great weather, now it is showing as raining - yuk, but better than heat in my book.

Right now AC still is the better play here at 6am on friday. But both are a gamble but seems if I am going to gamble keep it local and save $200.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:30 pm

I expect you are making the right call!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down