365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Born to Run 5 Mile Race

+4
fostever
Ken Cushing
Michele "1L" Keane
sobele
8 posters

Go down

Born to Run 5 Mile Race Empty Born to Run 5 Mile Race

Post  sobele Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:44 am

Born to Run 5 Mile Road Race

This is the 2nd year in that I’ve run this race. Last year I ran it in 34:40. I wasn’t sure if I was going to make it this year for a couple of reasons. My wife is 9 months pregnant and could go at any moment so I wasn’t sure if we’d be in the hospital on race day and I’ve also been battling a foot injury. It’s felt better over the past couple of weeks but I’ve been running gingerly. I was questioning myself on whether or not I should run this year and potentially aggravate my foot. One thing I’ve learned in my extremely brief career as a “runner” is that it’s very difficult for me to dial it down a notch whether it’s while I’m training and especially on race day.

So, we’re still waiting for our bundle of joy to arrive and my foot was feeling good so I got up and headed to the streets of Freehold, NJ (where The Boss grew up) to see how I do.

I like the course because it’s has both road and trails. Part of it heads through a local 5k cross country course. I do a lot of training on trails so I always feel comfortable on them.

Weather was pretty ideal for the race as it was sunny and in the low to mid 50’s at the start. There was a little wind which seemed to pick up almost immediately but dissipated before I hit the 2nd mile. I didn’t have a lot of expectations heading into this one, however, I was hoping to PR my 5 mile race (which is 33:11). My last 5 miler was in June and I did a lot of training over the summer and into the fall so I felt that would count for something.

After mile 1 I wasn’t sure. I was having a hard time finding a rhythm and I actually thought I got out too quick and wasn’t going to last at the pace I was running (6:19, mile 1). Heading into the 2nd mile I started to feel a little better. We headed onto the trail and like I said before I feel extremely comfortable on them, however my pace started to slow down (6:27 mile 2) but I felt good and I wanted to make sure that I’d have something left in the tank the last mile. So heading into mile 3 I slowed down a little bit more and ran it in 6:45. Mile 4 was the hardest as it heads back onto the streets with 2 very sizeable hills. I kept my current pace of 6:45 and surprisingly I felt real good after mile 4 (must have been all the hill training I did over the summer). Last mile I picked up the pace. This is when you start to see spectators and start to hear the encouraging cheers, which quite frankly does help. I ran the last mile in 6:21.

I crossed the finish line at 32:41.5, which was 25th overall (691 runners) and 4th in my AG. More importantly I beat my last year’s time by just under 2 minutes and PR’d my 5 miler by 30 seconds.

Overall it was an extremely successful day and I was pleased with the results. Thanks for reading.
sobele
sobele

Back to top Go down

Born to Run 5 Mile Race Empty Re: Born to Run 5 Mile Race

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:08 am

Nice running! And congrats on the baby on the way1
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cushing Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:23 pm

Great job on getting the PR! Congrats on the baby! It reminds me of when I had my first. I had been training for the St George Marathon. I run it every year and hate to miss it. My daughter came 3 1/2 weeks early just days before the race. At that point I planned to miss the race, but my wife insisted I go! So I went down and had a great race.
Ken Cushing
Ken Cushing

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:38 pm

Nice race and way to get that PR down, nice last mile split, shows you ran smart! Congrats to both of you on the new arrival in advance!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:08 pm

Sweet race with a surprise PR! Well done. Never run a 5 miler. Looks like a nice distance.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Nice race! Now rest that foot while you wait for the baby. Congrats on both the race and the little one.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:35 pm

Solid PR. Congrats
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Evan,

Once again great job on the 5 mile you got mad speed!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down