365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just venting my frustration - Illinois Marathon

+6
mul21
Jeff F
JohnP
carleenp
Michael Enright
Kenny B.
10 posters

Go down

Just venting my frustration - Illinois Marathon Empty Just venting my frustration - Illinois Marathon

Post  Kenny B. Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:50 pm

I pick races based on price location and logistics. Illinois marathon fit my bill real nice but I can't find a dam hotel thats not sold out. The only ones are 3-5 miles from the start and I was not planning on renting a car for 1-2 days. Any suggestions?

I can take a cab to the start I think but getting back, will that be an issue? last thing I enjoy is finding my way back to hotel after running 26.2.

If anyone knows the area maybe cabs are plentiful and a non-issue?

Renting car $75 bucks. Might have no choice.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Just venting my frustration - Illinois Marathon Empty Re: Just venting my frustration - Illinois Marathon

Post  Michael Enright Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:36 pm

Clearly, you've never been to Champaign. No cabs trolling the streets looking for fares. There is public transportation (buses).

I know quite a few people here have run this one, so hopefully one of them will explain how they took care of it.

Maybe you can befriend a student and crash in their dorm room (maybe Hopkins Hall - very close to the start!) instead...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Just venting my frustration - Illinois Marathon Empty Re: Just venting my frustration - Illinois Marathon

Post  carleenp Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Champaign is very easy to get around an parking is plentiful right by the start. I drove last year to and from my hotel. Cabs and such are not generally easy to find there. So a car rental may be your only choice. How were you getting to Champaign to start with?

Assuming I stay uninjured, I plan to run the half at Champaign and I bet some others here might be running something there as well. If I am there, I would be happy to drive you to and from a hotel. I haven't gotten mine yet, but it will probably be the Wingate, which has some other cheaper hotels nearby too.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:51 pm

carleenp wrote:Champaign is very easy to get around an parking is plentiful right by the start. I drove last year to and from my hotel. Cabs and such are not generally easy to find there. So a car rental may be your only choice. How were you getting to Champaign to start with?

Assuming I stay uninjured, I plan to run the half at Champaign and I bet some others here might be running something there as well. If I am there, I would be happy to drive you to and from a hotel. I haven't gotten mine yet, but it will probably be the Wingate, which has some other cheaper hotels nearby too.

thanks. i would fly take cab to hotel etc, maybe rent car is the best option.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:12 am

Kenny, I ran this a few years ago. This is a smaller town, definitely no cabs just driving around. I would rent a car. I stayed 10-15 miles away, had no trouble driving in in the morning.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:09 am

Kenny B. wrote:
carleenp wrote:Champaign is very easy to get around an parking is plentiful right by the start. I drove last year to and from my hotel. Cabs and such are not generally easy to find there. So a car rental may be your only choice. How were you getting to Champaign to start with?

thanks. i would fly take cab to hotel etc, maybe rent car is the best option.

That is what I was guessing were your plans. You could get a cab from the airport, but the cost of two cab fares for to and from the airport might not be that much less than a car rental in the end.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:46 am

Relax...take a deep breath. No need to be frustrated. There are always cabs at the airport and the hotel will always call one for you. In addition, I am offering to transport you to the race and back to your hotel after the race. As long as you are willing to wait until I finish, I am guessing I will be 15-20 minutes behind you.

If you time the expo right I could maybe get you there and back also. I will be volunteering sometime on Friday, but don't know when yet.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:55 pm

Kenny, I may be running the half there this year and could probably help you out. Let me see if I can use some of my Hilton Honors sway and snag a couple rooms close by at the Hilton Garden Inn. I'll check on it and let you know.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:47 am

Jeff F wrote:Relax...take a deep breath. No need to be frustrated. There are always cabs at the airport and the hotel will always call one for you. In addition, I am offering to transport you to the race and back to your hotel after the race. As long as you are willing to wait until I finish, I am guessing I will be 15-20 minutes behind you.

If you time the expo right I could maybe get you there and back also. I will be volunteering sometime on Friday, but don't know when yet.

Jeff, Thank you so much I PM'd you as well.

mul21 wrote:Kenny, I may be running the half there this year and could probably help you out. Let me see if I can use some of my Hilton Honors sway and snag a couple rooms close by at the Hilton Garden Inn. I'll check on it and let you know.

Jim, wow! Thank you thank you. That is very kind of you. Let me know what you find out as I try to finalize my marathon and plans.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:27 pm

I'll come over and chauffeur you around. Problem solved. NOT!
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:44 pm

you are cracking me up, Kenny assuming that Champaign-Urbana is a big city - NOT.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:you are cracking me up, Kenny assuming that Champaign-Urbana is a big city - NOT.

What do I know! Jim has been kind enough to try and hook me up at hotel and me my personal valet service. lol

I am just waiting on his ok so I can book the flight! Toast to Champaign!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:you are cracking me up, Kenny assuming that Champaign-Urbana is a big city - NOT.

What do I know! Jim has been kind enough to try and hook me up at hotel and me my personal valet service. lol

Unfortunately, I just got shot down by the Hilton people. On to plan B. I'll get in touch with you.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:17 pm

mul21 wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

Unfortunately, I just got shot down by the Hilton people. On to plan B. I'll get in touch with you.

So much for your "pull" Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:09 am

mul21 wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

Paris is a bitch isn't she! LOL

Jim, I'd think staying at hotel right outside the marathon maybe 3-5 miles away would work. Last time I checked they had rooms. There is only opportune flight for me to get to champaign I don't want to lose it. Lets talk today if possible!

Thanks!!!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:03 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
mul21 wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

Paris is a bitch isn't she! LOL

Jim, I'd think staying at hotel right outside the marathon maybe 3-5 miles away would work. Last time I checked they had rooms. There is only opportune flight for me to get to champaign I don't want to lose it. Lets talk today if possible!

Thanks!!!

If you guys end up staying 3-5 miles away, I will make sure you have transportation.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:18 am

You could probably rent a car from Priceline for $15/day. Never pay retail for travel...
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks everyone! Jim M. is helping me with transportation. Renting a car would be the fall back! I was able to get flight into champaign and out on Fri and Sat. Now I just have to train!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down