365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road to Nowhere

+28
Dave P
wheakory
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
Dave-O
Dave Wolfe
ounce
Michael Enright
KathyK
dot520
Neil Ruggiero
mul21
Seth Harrison
MioMabusy
Joel H
Kenny B.
Glenn
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
John Kilpatrick
JohnP
Traveller
Sara Jane
Bob
Mike MacLellan
Tom H
Mark B
32 posters

Page 10 of 43 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 26 ... 43  Next

Go down

Road to Nowhere - Page 10 Empty Re: Road to Nowhere

Post  ounce Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:50 pm

We've got leaves. Even the pecan trees have leaves. So, Spring is here for us.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:26 pm

KathyK wrote:A walk in the 'almost spring' sounds like a perfect way to work out the kinks.
We've got buds on trees here, I expect that spring will explode during the next week or so. LOVE it!

It's always wonderful when the world comes back to life, doesn't it?

Except it means I need to get the moss killer on the roof before it starts looking like a shag carpet from the 1970s! alien
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Low HR Run: 60 minutes (4.79 miles)

Weather: Sunny, cool, a breeze. 43 rising to 47. Gear: FR2s, long-sleeved T, shorts, jacket/vest, gloves (shed), hat. Fuel/fluid: Nothing on run.

I am still feeling my escapade at Nike on Tuesday. It's wild - running in hyper-cushioned shoes has a bigger impact on my system than running barefoot on asphalt! I've been ridiculously sore.

Knowing that, I was debating how far to go this morning. It's sunny today and likely to be rainy tomorrow. I toyed with 90 minutes, but remembered that I was pushing my luck last week when I went that far. I opted for 60 minutes... but probably would have been happier with 45 minutes. My mile after the warm-up was faster (1 bpm faster than ideal) but that "speed" dropped off precipitously with each successive mile.

As in: 10:49, 11:40; 12:36!

That's a body that isn't happy. I've stopped taking fluids with me on these shorter runs - partly because it's so cool, and partly to get my body more accustomed to not chugging so much fluid - but I don't know much of an impact it's having on the whole run. I may try one of these runs out with fluid and see how different it feels.

Average HR for entire run: 130
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Mark B wrote:
I've stopped taking fluids with me on these shorter runs - partly because it's so cool, and partly to get my body more accustomed to not chugging so much fluid - but I don't know much of an impact it's having on the whole run. I may try one of these runs out with fluid and see how different it feels.

I would think that if you're drinking throughout the day and your pee is the proper color, then you probably don't need to drink with a great frequency unless your mouth seems dry. But, it takes practice to lengthen the miles between drinks. Of course, hot weather is another thing all together.

Nice average HR.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:21 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
I've stopped taking fluids with me on these shorter runs - partly because it's so cool, and partly to get my body more accustomed to not chugging so much fluid - but I don't know much of an impact it's having on the whole run. I may try one of these runs out with fluid and see how different it feels.

I would think that if you're drinking throughout the day and your pee is the proper color, then you probably don't need to drink with a great frequency unless your mouth seems dry. But, it takes practice to lengthen the miles between drinks. Of course, hot weather is another thing all together.

Nice average HR.

I've had a habit of drinking every two miles whether I need it or not. That's a good strategy for a race or very long run, but for one less than an hour or so? Probably not, unless it's hot. Which it isn't here, at the moment.

Meanwhile... dang! I am still astounded at how sore my legs are right now. I didn't run THAT much faster than usual at Nike the other day, so it has to be the soft shoes. Crazy. (It's not my old injury flaring up, either. It's my muscles. Pretty much all of 'em from the hips on down.)

At this point, tomorrow's going to be a rest day.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:40 am

How long has it been since you ran as fast as you did at the Nike campus wearing the marshmallow shoes? It might be a combination of the speed and the cush.
The whole cushy shoe thing is interesting...you felt like you were running slower than you really were...your effort level was highish, but that was because you were going fast, and now you are sore.
I'm interested to see what those shoes are...how long is it between the time you test shoes and when they come out on the market.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:58 am

KathyK wrote:How long has it been since you ran as fast as you did at the Nike campus wearing the marshmallow shoes? It might be a combination of the speed and the cush.
The whole cushy shoe thing is interesting...you felt like you were running slower than you really were...your effort level was highish, but that was because you were going fast, and now you are sore.
I'm interested to see what those shoes are...how long is it between the time you test shoes and when they come out on the market.

I probably had points on trails where I was zipping along in the low 9s last year, but it's been slow all this year as I've tried to recover from my foot.

The speed has something to do with it, I'm sure. Intensity and I don't always get along. But also, my body was working hard trying to get ground feedback through the marshmallow shoes and probably striking a LOT harder than usual. My feet couldn't detect the extra stress, but the rest of my legs sure.

Oh, there are versions of shoes similar to it (though not quite extreme) on the market. They're not really marketed to long-distance runners, though. Thank goodness.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:23 pm

But enough whining about shoes I don't like... the new Frees are out!! Very Happy

I've been waiting (impatiently) since last summer for the next generation of the Frees to be ready to ship. Now, finally, they are here!

They have debuted as Nike iD shoes. I am hoping (fervently) that they move to general production models very soon.

Here's what they look like:

Road to Nowhere - Page 10 New_fr10

Say hello to what is essentially the latest version of the Free 5.0. It has a totally redesigned upper that makes use of the Dynamic Fit system they unveiled earlier this year on the Lunar Glide. The idea is that the straps you see under the swoosh wrap your foot and provide a better sense of control.

Also...

Road to Nowhere - Page 10 New_fr11

They have retooled the 5.0 sole. It feels flatter and more flexible than the sole they've been using for the past few years. IMO, it's a big improvement. These (or at least some variations of these) were the shoes I was wear testing last summer. How much did I like them? Well, let's just say, it was a huge letdown to go back to the Free Run 2.

But that's not the only new Free out there. Check out what's going to be carrying on the legacy of the Free 3.0.

Road to Nowhere - Page 10 New_fr12

I didn't wear test these, but I think I did some lab testing on elements of it. If they ride like some of the things they had me try, they're going to be fabulous.

Here's the new 3.0 sole.

Road to Nowhere - Page 10 New_fr13

How much did I like parts of these shoes? Well, it's the only time I asked the lab person if I'd get in trouble if I tried to sneak the shoes home with me.

While I hope that the non-customizeable versions hit the shelves soon, there are some pretty cool options through the Nike iD site. As in, you can use the 3.0 upper with the 5.0 sole, or the 5.0 upper with the 3.0 sole, mixing and matching to whatever suits your fancy. That seems like a good option for perfectionists who want to dial in the perfect shoe.

(No, all the soles aren't green. I was just feeling springy when I picked the shoes to post here.)

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:04 pm

"And if you click this link here, I may or may not get a 25% commission!" What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:"And if you click this link here, I may or may not get a 25% commission!" What a Face

Oh, if only that were true, Mike....

But yes... I should provide this small disclaimer:
I do not work for Nike, but I do receive a small level of compensation (discounts, gift cards, the chance to trash somebody else's shoes) for being a wear/dynamic/lab tester.

That said, my opinions are my own. What you don't/can't see is some of the feedback I'm giving them while the shoes are in development. I'm picky.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Barefoot Run: 1 mile on REALLY rough asphalt

My legs have started feeling better, so I was itching to get in a barefoot/proprioception session today. I had a little spare time at work, so I slipped off my shoe and headed out to do laps around the building.

I work in a semi-industrial area, so the asphalt is decidedly NOT like what I find in my neighborhood. It's old, chewed up, and covered with little bits of sharp gravel. Ow-ow-ow!

When I hit a patch of newer asphalt, or even relatively smooth concrete, it was like running on dewy grass.

That was nice.

When I then hit a few feet of sharp gravel? Yii! How anybody can run barefoot on something like that? They either need huraches, or very tough feet. I'm a long ways from that.

Anyway, I did four laps before deciding that was enough stimulus.

And, as I was coming to a stop, I caught the attention of a hobo who was walking past our building.

"Hey, man!" he said, sounding only slightly loaded. "Where's your SHOES?!?"

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Low HR Run: 30 minutes (2.15 miles on the treadmill)

Temp: 68 inside (a trace of snow on the ground outside!?!) Fuel: Post breakfast. Gear: FR2s.

I didn't run Sunday (drove to Eugene to help my stepmom move out of the house she and my dad lived in before he died) or Monday (felt like crap), so I made this morning's pre-work run more of a recovery effort. I did my 5-minute walking warm up, then revved the treadmill up to 4 mph (12/mm pace) and left it there until it was time for my 5-minute walking cool-down. I was happy to see that I can now keep my HR under my target level of 138 at this intensity, even inside.

I spiked it once, but only because my body decided it wanted to play around with a pure forefoot strike (which was weird - I just shifted into it without thinking), and either the extra effort of a different gait or my excitement over it popped the HR up to 140. I took it back to my normal midfootish strike, and the HR dropped back down. Interesting...

Average HR for the entire run: 123

Barefoot note: I was pretty amused to discover to rock-shaped bruises on the bottom of both feet after my escapade on Saturday.

Here are a couple of snow photos from this morning. Warning to those who live east of here: Wild weather may be heading your way.

Road to Nowhere - Page 10 03131210
Our street. Not too impressive, except when you remember it's nearly the ides of March.

Other parts of our county got enough snow to close schools.

Road to Nowhere - Page 10 03131211
Confused crocuses. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Mark B wrote:
And, as I was coming to a stop, I caught the attention of a hobo who was walking past our building.

Love it. Heckled by a hobo......about your attire!
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Glenn wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Love it. Heckled by a hobo......about your attire!

Just goes to show that barefoot runners remain firmly in the counter-culture. cheers
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:00 am

Dynamic Testing: 1.14 miles

Weather: Cool, rainy and windy. 48 degrees.

Two laps around part of the Nike campus in some prototype shoes. It felt far easier than last week's effort, though the pace wasn't really much slower (9:09 one one .57-mile lap, 9:19 on the second) - despite the fact that I donated blood yesterday and should be low on red blood cells. Guess I didn't go far enough for that to matter much.

It probably helped that the loop was shorter, as well. And that was fine with me, because it was rainy and windy out.

I have a feeling I'm not going to pay the price for today's run over the next few days, like I did last week. I wasn't wild about these prototypes (they didn't fit my freaky feet very well) but they were far more to my liking than what I ran in last time.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:37 pm

Dude, give plasma or platelets. There's no effect on running. Now, I haven't run a race right AFTER giving plasma or platelets, but I haven't given whole blood in 4 years.

Enjoy the tiredness for a couple of weeks, from what I've heard. Very Happy
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:41 pm

ounce wrote:Dude, give plasma or platelets. There's no effect on running. Now, I haven't run a race right AFTER giving plasma or platelets, but I haven't given whole blood in 4 years.

Enjoy the tiredness for a couple of weeks, from what I've heard. Very Happy

I hadn't heard that before. Interesting.

Oddly, I feel less tired than usual this time (I will put that to the test tomorrow; didn't get a chance to really run today).

Maybe I was just in need of a good leeching? Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:27 am

Mark B wrote:Barefoot Run: 1 mile on REALLY rough asphalt

I'm impressed - I tried doing that one time during a run - kicked my shoes off, decided after about 30 steps that running on asphalt is not for me, switched over to running on the shoulder (grass), took another few steps, barely missed sitting on an uncomfortably large snake, tiptoed back, put my shoes back on, and haven't ran barefoot since! I'm equally impressed with a midfoot strike in general. And that is a hilarious story about the hobo yelling at you - classic!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:30 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:
Mark B wrote:Barefoot Run: 1 mile on REALLY rough asphalt

I'm impressed - I tried doing that one time during a run - kicked my shoes off, decided after about 30 steps that running on asphalt is not for me, switched over to running on the shoulder (grass), took another few steps, barely missed sitting on an uncomfortably large snake, tiptoed back, put my shoes back on, and haven't ran barefoot since! I'm equally impressed with a midfoot strike in general. And that is a hilarious story about the hobo yelling at you - classic!

Hey, John! Thanks for stopping by.

I think running barefoot feels easier for me because I've spent so much of my life barefoot. My feet are always happiest when they're naked. Very Happy

Still, if I was having to hurdle snakes...

The exchange with the hobo didn't end there, btw. After he said "Hey, man! Where's your shoes?!?" I fired back (feeling a little silly and self-conscious -- I was running in jeans and a long-sleeved T shirt) "I lost them!"

He replied: "Well, draw a picture of them for me, and I'll keep an eye out for them!"

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:43 pm

A hobo?

You sure he wasn't actually a tramp or maybe a vagabond?

Actually, one of my favorite words - glad to see it used. Don't put any pies on the windowsill to cool if there is a hobo or two around!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Michael Enright wrote:A hobo?

You sure he wasn't actually a tramp or maybe a vagabond?

Actually, one of my favorite words - glad to see it used. Don't put any pies on the windowsill to cool if there is a hobo or two around!

He definitely had a "King of the Road" vibe to him, so I think hobo fits. He was on the young side, though. Is there such a thing as a Hipster Hobo? Hm... scratch
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Low HR Run (red blood cell depleted): 30 minutes, 2.28 miles

Weather: Cool, some rain, hail, wind. 45 degrees. Gear: FR2s, shorts, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat. Fuel/fluid: Nada

If I were being honest, I'd have described this not as a "Low HR Run" but more as a "Hair-Trigger HR Run." The lack of red blood cells became evident not too long after I'd finished my walking warm up: my HR quickly rose to 150 bpm - while going downhill, mind you. The feeling in my chest made it clear that this was no strap error. My muscles were going "Where is my blood?" any my heart was working overtime trying to keep up.

Well, okay then. I decided to cut back my run from 60 minutes to 30 and see if I could manage to find a pace that kept my HR at least close to 138. The result? A lot of walking/running/walking/running, and a HR chart that kind of makes me seasick. Smile

No worries. I expected this. I'm not training for anything, so all this will do is help keep me from overdoing it. The blood cells will return soon enough.

Average HR for entire run: 121
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:37 pm

Wow surprised you were able to run with the low red blood cell thing. I have not given blood in years (it takes me like 2 hrs to give a pint), but it always used to wipe me out for days.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Wow surprised you were able to run with the low red blood cell thing. I have not given blood in years (it takes me like 2 hrs to give a pint), but it always used to wipe me out for days.

Well, it wasn't pretty, Michele, but I got it done. I think I may do more barefoot work until the blood stores recharge. That's all about form and is, as you'd imagine, not a big strain on the aerobic system. I barely break a sweat!

Two hours for a pint? Wow. You must have thick blood!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Barefoot Run: 1 mile on wet asphalt

Weather: Between rain showers, cool. 44 degrees.

Alec wanted to do another mile for his video game/computer allotment, and when I offered to go out and do the mile with him barefoot, he wanted to do it barefoot, too. He wanted to stop after the first lap, but decided to keep trying after I suggested he put his shoes on. We did two more laps.

I used my cell phone camera to record Alec's running and even tried to get myself. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post them.

There is a significant difference between dry and wet asphalt. My feet weren't happy in the first lap but sort of relaxed into it. I pushed the speed and turnover up in the last 50 feet, which was kind of fun. But afterward, my feet were AWAKE. No pain, just every nerve ending stimulated. Shocked
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 43 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 26 ... 43  Next