365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road to Nowhere

+28
Dave P
wheakory
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
Dave-O
Dave Wolfe
ounce
Michael Enright
KathyK
dot520
Neil Ruggiero
mul21
Seth Harrison
MioMabusy
Joel H
Kenny B.
Glenn
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
John Kilpatrick
JohnP
Traveller
Sara Jane
Bob
Mike MacLellan
Tom H
Mark B
32 posters

Page 15 of 43 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 29 ... 43  Next

Go down

Road to Nowhere - Page 15 Empty Re: Road to Nowhere

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:43 pm

Walk: 2.4 miles

Weather: Overcast, cool. 50 degrees

Part of my new strategy is to try to do something as many days of the week as I can, even if it's just walking. So I took another lunchtime walk from the office this afternoon.

I went up and over the Interstate 5 Bridge, crossing over the Columbia River into Oregon before turning around and heading back to Vancouver. Nice view and breeze, thanks to the trucks rushing by. Very Happy

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Low HR Run: 30 minutes (2.11 miles) on the treadmill

Temp: 68. Gear: Free 3.0 v4s, shorts, T. After breakfast.

I squeezed in a short low HR run before work, though I had a debate with my internal voice that was telling me to step off the treadmill and make this a rest day. It was weird: I'm not sore, or tired. So, I told that internal voice to just hold on a bit. I completed my walking warm-up, and still felt fine. I started my run, and it felt fine, too. I tried to keep my foot strike light and easy, and I kept the speed down. I had to slow a bit after about 19 minutes, but given what I've been asking my body to do lately, I shouldn't be surprised.

I feel fine after the run. I'll play the rest of the workouts this week by ear and see how it goes. I'm trying to do something almost every day - even if it's just a little bit of something - to see if I can get accustomed to it. I've tended to be mostly a 4-day a week runner, and I'm wondering if I can sneak in a little more.

Average HR for entire run: 124
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:45 am

I agree with doing 'something' almost every day...I do something cardio-wise almost every day (Sundays are off), although I only run 3 days a week. Lately, the other 'something' is Zumba, prior to that it was elliptical.

Good job on the negotiation with your inner voice!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Mark - it never matters how much you try to do each day, and we do need some active rest (like Kathy, I usually don't run on Sunday, but I often find myself walking, biking, gardening, what ever that day). Keep up the good work.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:55 pm

KathyK wrote:I agree with doing 'something' almost every day...I do something cardio-wise almost every day (Sundays are off), although I only run 3 days a week. Lately, the other 'something' is Zumba, prior to that it was elliptical.

Good job on the negotiation with your inner voice!

Thanks, Kathy! Since the time/distance of my workouts are less than they have been, this seems like the best time to experiment with a greater frequency. It also helps that I'm trying to keep my activity level up to help in my weight loss efforts. What I'd been doing before wasn't working, so a new strategy was needed. More on that later (if it works).

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Mark - it never matters how much you try to do each day, and we do need some active rest (like Kathy, I usually don't run on Sunday, but I often find myself walking, biking, gardening, what ever that day). Keep up the good work.

Good point, and thanks. I can't imagine "working out" seven days a week - or even six - but I can imagine being active on all but the big rest days. That might change when my mileage increases, but I'm hoping to build to it slowly and kind of sneak up on a high level of fitness. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Low HR Run: 60 minutes (4.88 miles)

Weather: Rainy and cool, a bit of a breeze. 47 degrees. Gear: Free 3.0 v4s, shorts, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat, gloves. Fuel: Didn't carry water (kind of wished I did)

I was a little fatigued this morning but felt more peppy as the day wore on, so I went out for a low HR run in the rain. I could feel my body getting more accustomed to more of a forefoot strike, though it got more difficult to maintain the longer I ran. It made it more difficult than usual to keep my heart rate in the target zone.

A note on the foot strike: When I do it right, if feels. so. good. It's sort of like how it feels when I'd turn on the afterburners and shift into a higher gear. Because, in fact, I guess that's kind of what I'm doing. Interesting.

I did go a little faster, and a little farther, which is nice, considering how wet I got. Very Happy

Average HR for the whole run: 133
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:27 pm

Low HR Run: 40 minutes (2.9 miles) on the treadmill

Temp: 68 Gear: Free 3.0 v4s, shorts, T. Fuel/water: none

I opted for an easy low HR run on the treadmill this morning. It went very well. My HR was lower than it has been lately when I started my warm-up walk, and it rose slowly as the time progressed. I kept the pace at 12/mi, and when I passed 25 minutes with my HR at 135 (still below my target), I decided to go another 5 minutes and see what happened. At 30 minutes, my HR was right at my target (138), so I decided to go another 5 minutes and see if I could keep it there. At 35 minutes, it was starting to nudge above 138, so I decided that this was enough for today and started my cool-down. The distance is estimated, because I forgot to check the distance on the 'mill (I only leave the timer up) before I unplugged it. Oops!

The run itself was pretty cool. It felt lighter and easier than usual, with a cadence of about 180, with what seemed like a light forefoot strike. When I'd see my HR edge up, I'd realize I was starting to lose form - as much by tensing up as anything - and I'd relax and see the HR edge back down again. I think this is working. Very Happy

Average HR for the whole run: 124
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:36 pm

So it seems like you and your new shoes are getting along well now!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:59 pm

KathyK wrote:So it seems like you and your new shoes are getting along well now!

It's getting there, Kathy. Whether it's the shoes conforming to my feet or my body adjusting to the different foot strike this type of shoe encourages, I'm not sure. Probably a little bit of both. It's one of the main reasons I'm experimenting with more activity of lesser duration: I'm trying to get enough stimulus to adapt.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Barefoot Run: 1 mile on dry asphalt

Weather: Sunny and nice. 56 degrees.

Alec is well enough now to start running for his computer game time (1 mile = 1 hour), so we went out for a few laps around the block. I was planning on going barefoot, and Alec wanted to try it, too. He did pretty well, and he kept wanting to veer onto rougher pavement even though he kept going ow-ow-ow when he hit a rougher patch. We went slower (I concentrated on form), and we walked a little, too.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:37 am

Abbreviated MAF Test: 3.27 miles

Weather: Very sunny. Gear: Free 3.0 v4s, shorts, T. Fuel: Coffee and oatmeal/chia before. Took nuun at track.

I was looking forward to a MAF test this morning but ended up cutting it short. Initially my legs wanted to go-go-go but my body (based on HR) was going no-no-no. I had a devil of a time trying to get my HR to behave. The first mile was a lot slower than I expected, and the speed dropped off more than I'd have preferred in Mile 2.

It might have been the bright sunlight (yes, I feel like a vampire), or the extra stuff I did this week, or the different shoes (I've gone from the 5.0 to the 3.0 sole, and my gait has changed as a result), or the diet changes that have been pretty effective at dropping weight (down from 186 a month ago to 177.4 as of this morning, with most of the weight loss in the past two weeks). Or all put together. At any rate, I decided there wouldn't really be any benefit for pushing it more, and obsessing about numbers for the sake of numbers seemed, well, stupid. So I did a lap to cool down and wrapped it up.

I might give myself a little break next week.

Average HR for entire run: 126

Here's the comparison chart:

Road to Nowhere - Page 15 Maf11

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:56 pm

Don't try to do too much at one time Mark. Sounds like your body is telling you to slow it down a bit. PLEASE LISTEN, I don't want to see another explosion from you and find you 3 months down the road burned out and/or injured.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:18 pm

Joel H wrote:Don't try to do too much at one time Mark. Sounds like your body is telling you to slow it down a bit. PLEASE LISTEN, I don't want to see another explosion from you and find you 3 months down the road burned out and/or injured.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday, Joel. I noticed that I was starting to get hung up on numbers again.

So this morning, I decided to do something less measurable -- a trail run -- to see if the sense of ennui I had was physical or existential.

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Trail Run: 3.81 miles

Weather: Sunny, pleasant. 60-64 degrees. Gear: Peregrines, shorts, T. Fuel: Took S-cap before, carried water.

I took advantage of a warm sunny morning to head out to some trails near my house. I haven't been on a trail since December in Indiana, and I needed to mix things up. Nothing like hamstering around a track like I did yesterday to make you want to go out and find some sweet single track. Smile

Road to Nowhere - Page 15 04231212

I wore my HR monitor, though, to keep me from hammering too hard. Of course, in some places, I had to hammer to keep from sinking up to my knees in mud. The park is used mostly by horse riders, so that means any damp soil is churned up and turned into a mud bog.

Road to Nowhere - Page 15 04231210

Good practice for light foot strike,eh? And I came *this* close to a full-on face plant when I caught a foot under a branch. That would have made quite the photo.

Not that heavy mud isn't photogenic, mind you...

Road to Nowhere - Page 15 04231213

After a while, I broke off the main trail and went exploring well off the beaten path, and found some true single-track.

Road to Nowhere - Page 15 04231211

- and managed to get so lost that I ended up in some field and had to run the last part through the field and on the road navigating my way back to the car.

Road to Nowhere - Page 15 04231214

My Peregrines are okay running on pavement, though they're awfully stiff for walking on asphalt. Still, it was a pretty day, even from the road.

Road to Nowhere - Page 15 04231216

As for heart rate, well... it's hard to gauge this one. This was about as far from a steady-state run as you can get. There was walking, churning through mud, running up hills, etc. But it was nice to mix it up, and there were a couple of points where I was having a blast. I'll take it.

Road to Nowhere - Page 15 04231215

Average HR for the entire run: 124.

Oh, and here's the track and elevation chart:

Road to Nowhere - Page 15 Screen13

Last edited by Mark B on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Now THAT sounds and looks like FUN!!! Much better than around a track like a hamster indeed. Are you sure those are shoes under that mud?
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:50 pm

Joel H wrote:Are you sure those are shoes under that mud?

No, not entirely. Very Happy

Hey, at least this time the bog didn't suck a shoe off. Wink

(It almost did once, though.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Looks like a great run Mark - I'm surprised you are not wearing gaiters going through that stuff! I think I'm getting poison ivy just looking at those pictures - does it ever bother you? I just look at it anymore and I seem to get ate up with it.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:25 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:Looks like a great run Mark - I'm surprised you are not wearing gaiters going through that stuff! I think I'm getting poison ivy just looking at those pictures - does it ever bother you? I just look at it anymore and I seem to get ate up with it.

Gaiters would just get weighted down by all the mud, John! And there's no poison ivy in the West. There *is* poison oak, but I've never had problems with it. In fact, I've been up to my hips in it taking photos at a bad freeway accident years ago and not had a reaction ... in fact, I didn't even know had been *in* poison oak until I saw a firefighter who'd been out on the scene covered with calamine lotion. He was a little irked that I came through without a trace of it...

I consider it karmic payback. I was a member of the rash-of-the-month club as a kid, and I have eczema now, so it seems fair that I've dodged the poison oak/ivy bullet. For now, at least,
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:52 pm

Hey Mark, looks like I've got a lot of catching up to do, but happy to see you are still very comfortable venturing into the wilds, wallowing in the mud, getting lost and, in general, doing it all with a smile on your face! I'm sure it won't be long until you and I will be discussing LHR training again.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:14 am

Tom H wrote:Hey Mark, looks like I've got a lot of catching up to do, but happy to see you are still very comfortable venturing into the wilds, wallowing in the mud, getting lost and, in general, doing it all with a smile on your face! I'm sure it won't be long until you and I will be discussing LHR training again.

Cool. You know where to find me. If you've plowed through this blog, you've seen that I started back at it again, with a few twists to keep it fun. So far, so good.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:54 am

Were those new shoes under all of that mud? If so, they have certainly lost their new shoe look, huh?

Honestly, it does look like a fun run, though!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:08 am

I love those shoes in that color. I had the same poison ivy thoughts (plus here I'd get deer ticks and another bout with Lyme disease). Sounds like a fun one!!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:04 am

Beautiful trail, Mark. Guess I'm the west coast voice here - didn't think about ticks or ivy. Poison oak doesn't even cross my mind, either, as I've never had a reaction to it.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:36 am

KathyK wrote:Were those new shoes under all of that mud? If so, they have certainly lost their new shoe look, huh?

Honestly, it does look like a fun run, though!

No, they weren't new shoes, Kathy. They're a pair of Saucony Peregrines that I got last year when I started trail running. And one of the neat things about them is the fact that it's pretty easy to get the caked mud out/out of them. Just blast 'em with water for a few minutes and they look (almost) as good as new!

It was a fun run - it's nice to get out of the robotic "maximum efficiency" stride that you get on pavement or a treadmill. Every step was different. Every landing point at a different angle. Hopping over things (or tripping over things) and trying to get through the bogs worked all sorts of different muscles. Couple that with a lot of yard work when I got home (raking out moss, overseeding lawn, spreading soil), and I am definitely sore this morning.

Michael Enright wrote:I love those shoes in that color. I had the same poison ivy thoughts (plus here I'd get deer ticks and another bout with Lyme disease). Sounds like a fun one!!

Ticks aren't really an issue here, Michael. Not so much with Lyme disease, either. But... once the mosquitoes hatch early this summer, a trip into those woods could mean a 10% loss in total blood volume by the time you make it back out again. What a Face

Mike MacLellan wrote:Beautiful trail, Mark. Guess I'm the west coast voice here - didn't think about ticks or ivy. Poison oak doesn't even cross my mind, either, as I've never had a reaction to it.

I guess we're both lucky on that, Mike. Other parts of the country seem so inhospitable. Why is that they live there? Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:56 pm

I'm disappointed that you weren't running barefoot through that mud - nothing feels better than squishy mud in your toes - even to someone like me who doesn't run barefoot much.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 43 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 29 ... 43  Next