365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road to Nowhere

+28
Dave P
wheakory
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
Dave-O
Dave Wolfe
ounce
Michael Enright
KathyK
dot520
Neil Ruggiero
mul21
Seth Harrison
MioMabusy
Joel H
Kenny B.
Glenn
Michele "1L" Keane
charles.moman
John Kilpatrick
JohnP
Traveller
Sara Jane
Bob
Mike MacLellan
Tom H
Mark B
32 posters

Page 31 of 43 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37 ... 43  Next

Go down

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 Empty Re: Road to Nowhere

Post  Mark B Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:42 pm

Okay, I finally have time to update this blog.

I spent the better part of this week at La Pine State Park on Central Oregon's high lava desert (about 4,200 feet). We have been going there every summer, renting a "deluxe" (read: it has a toilet) cabin and enjoying the ponderosa pine and lodgepole pine forest and desert scrub. It also has some terrific trails for walking, biking and, of course, barefoot running.

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 Wester10

That photo was taken not far from our cabin on our first evening. We didn't plan any big activities - other than driving into the La Pine Public Library so Alita could apply for a permanent job as a paraeducator back in Vancouver (crossing fingers, toes and everything else). We played games, read, walked, ate and generally hung out.

I did take advantage of the trails to vary the sensory diet for my feet. I hadn't tried desert sand and pine needles, but it worked out pretty well.

Here's a quick recap of the week:

Mon: Walked about a mile, barefoot, with Alita and Alec.

Tue: Ran barefoot about 4.9 miles. I started off along the Deschutes River and looped my way up to a great viewpoint. I started heading back toward our cabin but was surprised by a phone call from Alita and Alec. They had decided to take a walk, and had decided to track me. My footprints sort of, um, stood out. Smile I doubled back to find them - making the run longer than planned - but it was a hoot seeing Alec goofing around like a wildlife biologist "darting" me to take back to camp. Fun. We walked back the rest of the way.

Here's what the trail looked like.

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 Trail_11

That night, we had a campfire and did a little stargazing.

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 Campfi10

Wed: Took a 2.4-mile walk with Alita and Alec, enjoying the trails at the park. We headed up a rise above the river then looped back around and read about the local flora on the nature trail on the way back to camp. It was a nice walk. We toyed with going barefoot but decided to put on some protection to as to not end up filthy. (Irony alert!) We wore our sandals, and ended up with far dirtier feet than when we went sans shoes! I guess sandals make the feet more sweaty and trap the grit so it grinds into the skin. Whodathunkit?

More trail:

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 Trail_10

Thu: I went for a quick last run of 2.4 miles, ostensibly to find out how far we walked the day before. I also wanted to play a little bit more. I'm still trying to root out the cause of some hip (and knee) irritation. I think I've let my core get weak, and that's putting too much strain on the lateral hip. Maybe. It's kind of driving me crazy trying to figure it out and resolve it. Anyway, it was a nice jaunt. Any more would have been too much. I didn't wait long enough after eating, and the coffee didn't sit well, so I sloshed most of the way and barfed a little. Bleah.

One other note: I saw one other set of barefoot foot prints out there.. and what looked like prints from VFFs. It would have been fun to have encountered each other out there, but alas...

Here are a few more photos:

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 Chipmu10
Here's one of our campmates, a chipmunk.

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 Gm_gro10
And another, a golden mantled ground squirrel.

Here I am (speaking of squirrely) out on a run.

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 Mark_b10

And here are my tracks in a nice dusty road.

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 Tracks10

And, just to prove I wasn't the ONLY one barefoot out there...

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 Six_ba10

And finally, Alec chills out waiting for lunch at a local DQ.

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 Alec_a10

I think it capped off a pretty good summer for him. And us. Very Happy

(Wife-mandated postscript: I had a LOT more photos from my cell phone camera, but they're mostly of my feet in different situations. She's thinking an intervention might be necessary soon if I don't contain myself.)

Okay, I can't resist. I need help! Wink

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 Feet_s10

Ah, summer.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Gorgeous! That looks like it could be really fun! How far from civilization, might I ask?

As for your fabulously fat folder of foot fotos on your fone, your female friendmate is factual: you need help Smile JK.

E Greenie
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:03 pm

EugeneGreenie wrote:Gorgeous! That looks like it could be really fun! How far from civilization, might I ask?

As for your fabulously fat folder of foot fotos on your fone, your female friendmate is factual: you need help Smile JK.

E Greenie

Absolutely, awesomely, alliterate of you, Greenie! Though my feet aren't fat.

Let me post a photo to prove it! Oh, wait... Wink

La Pine is about 20 miles south of Bend and a fairly short drive from the resort community of Sunriver. The state park is in the middle of the forest, but areas around it have great views of Paulina Peak, a huge volcanic caldera, Mount Bachelor, the Three Sisters, Broken Top, etc., etc. Quite the volcanic wonderland!

My earlier post has a link to the Oregon State Parks website for La Pine State Park. Here's the link again. Very Happy

Last edited by Mark B on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:38 am

Barefoot Run: 6 miles

Weather: Sunny, cool, a few patches of ground fog. 49 degrees. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T. Fuel: Coffee and rice milk.

Back to the roads this morning for a slightly longer barefoot run with my training partner. I'm wondering if a nice smooth run on even surfaces will help my twitchy hip calm down a bit, and besides... my feet needed the stimulus.

The run included concrete, asphalt and chip seal. The chip seal surface was by far the most challenging.

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 09021210
(Look! A photo without a foot in it!)

If I can learn how to run gently on that rough/pointy a surface, I will consider myself on the way to really understanding how to run barefoot. Yowza.

Another highlight on the run was seeing six deer (does that qualify as a herd?) about a mile from my house. There was a yearling buck, at least two doe, and three younger deer - including a fawn with spots just starting to fade. Amazing.

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 09021211

The run was not fast, but I didn't care. My body wasn't in the mood for speed and my feet wouldn't let me go fast on the rougher pavement, anyway - but my heart rate was nice and low throughout. That'll be a good stimulus for the slow-twitches, while helping refine my form. Besides, it made the conversation easier.

Walked first five minutes and the last minute or so. Average HR for entire run: 126 (!)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Deer and Deschutes. It's too bad their beer doesn't just run through the river. You could've made a killing bringing some back from that trip. Do you guys have any wild turkey (the birds, not the bourbon!) up there?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:11 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Deer and Deschutes. It's too bad their beer doesn't just run through the river. You could've made a killing bringing some back from that trip. Do you guys have any wild turkey (the birds, not the bourbon!) up there?

No beer in the river itself, alas. Though I probably drove near THE Mirror Pond (Pale Ale) in Bend, and drove past Black Butte (Porter) on the way home. Very Happy

As for the wild turkeys, I had to look that one up. Yes, we do have some in Washington. They aren't native to the state but were introduced as a game bird. They seem to be flourishing, as are the wild turkeys (who may partake in Wild Turkey) in the state Legislature. Wink

So our house is getting a little more crowded this week. We've adopted two kittens from the local animal shelter. One is here already (and she found a way to burrow into a box spring set) and the other will arrive mid-week after he gets, well.. you know. affraid

Here they are:

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 09021212

This is Callie. She's the little burrower. She'd been abandoned, fostered, adopted and returned. We hope we can get her comfortable enough to be happy here. She sure seems happy to find all sorts of out-of-the-way hiding places, that's for sure. Once she settles down, I think it'll be great.

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 09011210

This is Hunter. He's the one still in custody at the shelter. They won't release them until they're fixed and microchipped. He's extremely playful - he's for Alec - but a little shy sometimes. Very cute.

The irony is, we settled on just one cat - Hunter - yesterday, after we couldn't find a second cat that didn't want to kick his little furry butt. We got a surprise today when we came back to visit the kitty in the clink, and a volunteer just happened to stop by with Callie in her arms. Suckers that we are, we thought we might as well see how those two got along... and they got along pretty well. And after hearing Callie's backstory, well... we were doomed.

Ah well. It will be good to get the little guy home. He should be a kick.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:21 am

Cute kittens! Congrats on the new additions to your family!
Your end-of-the-summer vacay looked wonderful...GREAT trails.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:13 pm

KathyK wrote:Cute kittens! Congrats on the new additions to your family!
Your end-of-the-summer vacay looked wonderful...GREAT trails.

Thanks, Kathy! Callie was using me as a trampoline/backboard at about 3 o'clock this morning as she played on the bed, which at this point is still adorable. Not so sure about her running a mad dash across my neck, though... Suspect

Hunter is done with his surgery, so we can pick him up later today. That should be fun to get those two together.

The trails WERE fun. Almost too easy. When I did my 6 miles on pavement of various grades on Sunday, my feet were slightly puffy the next day. I took today as an extra rest day to let everything rebuild stronger.

It gives credit to one barefoot running guy who says that a 1:3 ratio should apply to barefoot runs as you're learning how to do it: treat every one mile barefoot like three miles in shoes. I'm trying to keep that in mind as I work on this and try to avoid falling victim to "overexuberance syndrome."

Speaking of overexuberance, God help me, but I am starting to consider whether to run the American River 50 Mile Endurance Run next April. (No, not barefoot. I'm not ready for something that crazy, yet.) It lines up perfectly with our various school schedules and is in the perfect place, with relatives eager to provide lodging, companionship for the rest of my family, and whatever support I possibly want. Hm....

Last edited by Mark B on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Next = 2013? If so, you've got a pacer for some of it Smile
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Next = 2013? If so, you've got a pacer for some of it Smile

Yeah, 2013. And that thought occurred to me. Which is what makes this such a frighteningly good idea...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:00 pm

(chanting) Do it! Do it! Do it!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:(chanting) Do it! Do it! Do it!

If that's what you're planning to do for the last 12 miles, you might not survive the experience. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:55 pm

Nah, I'll just channel my inner trail-running champion and pass it on to you, since the last 8-9 miles are the "out" of the out-and-back I won last year up in Auburn.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:05 pm

Hm.... are pacers allowed to tow runners up the "dam hill"? If so, we may have a deal. Smile

Dam hill? Literally. You climb to the top of Auburn Dam before ending.

Road to Nowhere - Page 31 Profil10

Yeah, they put the biggest climb of the whole 50-miler in the last 2.5 miles. Giddyup.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:56 am

good lord...THAT hill at the end of 50 miles?
And you'll PAY to do this?

Whew!
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:42 am

Yup. Crazy, huh? What a Face

I think that ridiculous, last-gasp ascent is what gives this event its cred among ultrageeks, even though a good portion of it can be run run on asphalt bike paths (here's the URL, if you're interested - American River 50 Mile Endurance Run).

What's crazy is that this has a relatively minor elevation change overall, compared with other ultras, which makes it a fairly popular first 50-miler. It also tends to be faster (as you're not climbing three mountain ranges mid-race), so it's popular as a qualifying run for the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run. (This does not mean I'm angling to run Western States anytime soon. That's a totally different animal.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:57 am

Just so we're clear, there's no dam. Nor was there ever. There were PLANS for a dam, but that would've been at the river, so the hill would've started directly next to it (alternately, you could've crossed the dam and gone up towards Cool). But it was never built. So, ADO (Auburn Dam Overlook) Park is also a misnomer. Hell, you can't even see the river from it. But, y'know, old habits.

Anyway, I'm not positive if the course takes you on the asphalt or up Cardiac, but either way, they're not too bad. Twisted Evil
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:22 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Just so we're clear, there's no dam. Nor was there ever. There were PLANS for a dam, but that would've been at the river, so the hill would've started directly next to it (alternately, you could've crossed the dam and gone up towards Cool). But it was never built. So, ADO (Auburn Dam Overlook) Park is also a misnomer. Hell, you can't even see the river from it. But, y'know, old habits.

Anyway, I'm not positive if the course takes you on the asphalt or up Cardiac, but either way, they're not too bad. Twisted Evil

No dam? Huh. And here I've been billing myself as some expatriate Northern California expert. Embarassed

Wait... this is Cardiac? Oh well, I don't think anybody in the pack is going to be running up that bad boy, anyway.

(Now that you mention it, I do now vaguely remember some Auburn Dam controversy many years ago... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn_Dam )
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Back to our current realities...

Walk: 3 miles

Weather: Sunny, slightly warm. 77 degrees.

I had time to take a walk during lunch, so I headed over the Interstate Bridge from Vancouver into Portland. I got a view of a shuttered hotel/resort that burned in a spectacular fire over the weekend. It looks like a war zone.

With kittens, school and shuffled work schedules, I have no goal for this week other than try to sneak in some sort of activity when I can. It's a crazy week.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:32 am

No wonder you were a sucker for those little fur balls. They are just so adorable. 9 yrs ago we went in for 1 and came out with 2 as well.

That is one crazy climb on that race....impressive indeed.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:50 am

Hey, Joel!

Yes, they're extremely cute, but they have pegged our household crazy meter already. Callie took out our WiFi hub yesterday and tried to take a chunk out of my foot overnight, and poor little Hunter is meowing his head off in protest for being on lockdown to let his "vasectomy" heal properly. It will be quite the show when those two start to actually interact.

It's funny about that hill. It sure looks intimidating after 47 miles... but I'm less concerned about that than I am the 17 or 18 miles that are run on an asphalt bike path. What sort of shoes would you wear that would handle both the bike trail and the single track in the second half of the race? scratch

Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:42 pm

Barefoot Run: 3.1 miles on moderate asphalt

Weather: Sunny, warmish. 69-73 degrees and warming fast. Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T. Fuel: post-breakfast

It's been a busy morning, but I was determined to squeeze in at least some sort of a run if I could. I did three miles of laps around the neighborhood, trying to keep the effort level down and focus on form without having to worry about being taken out by a pickup.

The run went well, though it felt a lot warmer than the low 70s. It's supposed to get into the mid-80s today, and I'm not surprised. The sun felt pretty hot. At least for me.

I wanted to do at least 3, and that seemed about enough for today. I'm still working on the foundation.

Average HR for entire run: 137
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Kittens are cute, Mark. My first dog (after marriage) was name Cally - made me tear up a bit. Oh and I almost forgot that I really hate you because where you get to run is to die for! (Keep up the good work, you'll need it for that hill in April).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:04 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Kittens are cute, Mark. My first dog (after marriage) was name Cally - made me tear up a bit. Oh and I almost forgot that I really hate you because where you get to run is to die for! (Keep up the good work, you'll need it for that hill in April).

Aw. Those first pets leave a big hole in your heart, don't they? We're still missing Rocky and Lucky.

If I am actually going to do this crazy thing, I will be spending a lot of time in this area's less-than-ideal conditions of fall-winter-spring getting ready. I'll be all pale and mildewy when April comes. So don't hate me too much. Wink
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:25 pm

Ah the first few days of kitten life in a new house. Sounds about right. Sorry to hear the loss of your wifi...go for the expensive stuff early....smart kitten!

As for the type of shoe, not sure what to tell you but I would say a trail shoe of some sort is probably your best bet and you could switch shoes mid race if that is possible. Oh the heck with it, go barefoot....I kid, I kid, I kid. I know you aren't THAT CRAZY YET!!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 43 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37 ... 43  Next