365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic Trials viewing location?

2 posters

Go down

Olympic Trials viewing location? Empty Olympic Trials viewing location?

Post  Joel H Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Do we have a location set for everyone to meet to watch the Olympic Trials together? If not, here are a few suggestions on places to view:

- Allen Parkway and Waugh Drive, you get to see them do a small out and back 3 times (6 times)

- Shepard and Memorial/Allen Parkway, we would seem them on 4 separate occasions (6 times)

- Discovery Green which is right in front of the George R Brown Convention Center, we could walk/run across and see them on 4 separate occassions (8 times)

The first 2 are outside of downtown and will probably be easier to get to driving wise (less blocked off roads, etc.) but the Discovery Green would allow us to see them early in the race and late in the race as the race starts/finishes in front of the George R Brown. If there are other ideas let me know. Is anyone interested in meeting up? Which one do you guys prefer?

I can't wait to see everyone and the Oly Trials!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Olympic Trials viewing location? Empty Re: Olympic Trials viewing location?

Post  ounce Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:22 pm

If you're staying downtown for the weekend, it would be tough for me to recommend leaving downtown to a viewing spot, except maybe for the Sabine Street bridge, close to downtown. There you'll be able to see the runners 6 times...going west on Memorial Drive and coming east on Allen Parkway x 3. It's almost 1 mile from the GRB (starting line) to the western edge of downtown and the Sabine Street bridge is another half mile, tops.

http://www.houston2012.com/General-Information/Spectator-Information.aspx

Plus, after the race, you'll be able go to the Expo at the GRB to pick up your race packet, then walk to Mia Bella Trattoria Italian Restaurant on Caroline, next to the House of Blues, for the 365Runners lunch at 1 p.m. RSVP here http://www.365runners.com/t1165-houston-post-olympic-trials-lunch

If I was going to plant myself away from Discovery Green to watch it downtown, I would plant myself (with appropriate warm clothing because the buildings won't let the sun in) on the north corner of Louisiana and Lamar. You'll be able to see them coming at you, when they run north on Louisiana, then turning east on Lamar. I wouldn't move from that spot.

Joel is absolutely correct on his choices. Vehicle parking will be the interesting part (i.e. watch for no parking signs). If coming from the west, I would recommend parking in the Starbucks strip center parking lot around 5300 Memorial Drive, east of Westcott. There's a Tri On The Run, a Kolache Factory and a My Fit Foods in that strip center, if you want to get directions. You will walk about a half mile east to Shepherd Drive.

If you want to park at St. Thomas High School at Memorial and Shepherd, get there by 6:30 because a lot of the volunteers will be parking there. Sunrise is around 7.

I'll be volunteering at the water station around Shepherd and Allen Parkway. Not sure if it'll be at the men's or women's table. I'll find out next Wednesday. I believe KB will be doing crowd control in that area, as well.

Y'all come!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down