365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2016 Olympic Marathon Trials

+3
nkrichards
Mike MacLellan
ounce
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2016 Olympic Marathon Trials Empty 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:08 pm

Anyone going to be in LA for the race (to watch that is)?  I'm headed out (since I had a free ticket and a free entry to the LA marathon), and I was just wondering if anyone was going to be there too.  I'm hoping to volunteer on race morning, but if not, no issue as this was a last minute thing.  

I'm only planning on doing a training run of 18 or so miles of the LA full.  It's a point to point course which could be interesting as I can see how to easily do 20 (get to Dodger stadium and just run to the 6 mile mark).  It also seems like you can drop out anywhere from 17 on at any water stop and they'll transport you to the finish.  Sounds like a plan to me.  An excuse to get in a long run in nicer weather.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

2016 Olympic Marathon Trials Empty Re: 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials

Post  ounce Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:15 pm

I am not, Miche1e.  Either I qualify tomorrow for the Trials, or I'm staying home.  It's a silent protest for not picking Houston, again, for the trials.  Rolling Eyes 

I guess it's not coincidental that tomorrow's race is also the last day to qualify.

Have fun out there, at your 2nd Trials!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:09 am

Actually 4th trials - went to the woman's trials in Boston in 2008 and the men's trials in NYC in 2007 too.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:04 pm

I am not running LA this year as it's too soon after CIM for me.  I've run this course twice and it is a pretty cool, although if you run the first 20 and drop out you'll miss the best part of the course, which is the last few miles running straight down San Vicente to the ocean.

Huge field every year and very crowded at the start.  Hopefully you're in one of the front corrals and not stuck back in the open corral in the back.

I wish I was running it this year as I would love to run at least part of it with you.  How long are you going to be here in sunny SoCal?
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:27 pm

Actually Tim my plan is to run the last 18-20 miles.  Looks like I can take the shuttle from Santa Monica to the stadium, and then I'm going to "jog" easy to the 6 mile mark (looks like the course goes to the east and then west and I'll just go to the west and pick up the course).  Since I'm not running it all, I'm going to remove my chip and just jump in with my official (but free) bib and run at long run pace.  Hopefully, there are pacers and I'll just wait until a 4+ hr one.  

I might even just uber out to a starting point - any suggestions, Tim?

My husband's Aunt lives in Beverly Hills, so going to visit after I work at the trials on Saturday morning, and then I'm set to take the red eye home on Sunday night.  Monday is a running day off for me - so it will just be a quick weekend out west.  Hubby will be coming with for the first leg, and he is off to the Far East.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:16 pm

You know, I wondered if that was what you meant and I think that is an excellent idea.  Coming out of the stadium you turn left and there is a steep downhill for a couple of miles then it winds around a bit before heading west towards Santa Monica.  Starting out somewhere near mile 6 or 8 would be great.

You could consider cutting the course coming out of the stadium and heading straight over to mile 6.  Or, if you're thinking of taking Uber, you may consider not going to the stadium at all and just getting a ride from the finish to where you want to begin.  It's pretty electric at the stadium with 25,000 runners milling around with music playing.  But it takes forever to get in, and the lines for the restrooms, which are inside the stadium itself, are a mile long.

On second thought, cutting from the stadium to mile 6 by yourself isn't the best idea as that is not the best part of town.

I'll give some thought to any other options and will let you know if I think of anything.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:19 pm

Well, is it Compton?  If not, it is early in the morning, and I'm going to be on the actual course (just the sidewalk or side of the road).  It looks like I can go straight down Sunset Blvd to Echo Park without even varying my route.  But I can also probably have Uber (or maybe some other for of public transportation (if it exists)) to take me straight to Hollywood and pick the course up there.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:32 pm

Nope, not even close to Compton, but every home & business in the area has bars on the windows....

There's a pretty good rise just before mile 6 - if you can get to somewhere between mile 6 & 8 on Sunset, you'd be golden.

When you get to west Hollywood, be on the lookout for some very good looking men wearing tutu's.  The TV's are usually out in force there and they are very vocal in cheering you on - it's quite fun.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:06 am

Public transit in LA?  HA.

I briefly lived in the Silver Lake/Echo Park area.  I don't think you'd have much of a problem if you ran through that area.  You could get dropped off at Silver Lake Reservoir, do a lap, then run down to mile 7 of the course...
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:44 pm

If anyone wants to run the 2016 CIM, there was a discount code stuff in the Houston Marathon bag that gets you a $95 registration cost.  The code is HOUSTONCIM16 and it expires on January 30.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:47 am

ounce wrote:If anyone wants to run the 2016 CIM, there was a discount code stuff in the Houston Marathon bag that gets you a $95 registration cost.  The code is HOUSTONCIM16 and it expires on January 30.
Boy this was tempting Doug!  If I get permission to do another marathon...yes that means I'm going to ask Dr. B...CIM 2016 will be my race of choice.  I almost registered last night but decided that I should wait until I actually find out if that's a reasonable goal.  My oldest son, Gary, is also considering it.  It would be his first marathon.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:10 pm

Michele,

Have you figured out your logistics for next Sunday?  Wish I didn't live an hour away or I'd gladly pick you up and drop you off but since I'm not running this year, that's a little too early to get up...

We're experiencing Santa Ana winds right now and it is quite warm.  Expected to be in the 80's next Sunday in LA, although it won't get that warm until after you finish.  The last 6 miles run straight to the ocean so that will help but be prepared for weather much, much warmer than where you're coming from.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks, Tim.  Yes, I believe that I have.  I'm going to take the shuttle to Dodger Stadium and then it looks like I can go out the car entrance (to parking) and get to the course at Echo Park.  I'm then planning on running to the 20 mile mark, dropping out and following Santa Monica Blvd right into Santa Monica to my hotel.  It will be about 18.5 miles which I'm ready for.  

And yes, i figure it will be very warm, and I'm actually debating wearing my belt with my own bottles as well as using the water stops since I'm certainly not ready for 60s.  Although it was 65F this past Wednesday here and I ran 10 miles in it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:10 pm

Four or five of Team Minnesota have spent the past 6 weeks in Houston, as the guests of the Houston Marathon Foundation to acclimate them to a warmer climate for LA, rather than staying up in the cold.  One of the bunch is Emily Gordon.  Her blog entry link for February 8 is below:

http://marathonsandmechanisms.blogspot.com/2016/02/olympic-trials-is-this-weekend.html

Have some fun, Miche1e.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:37 pm

That was a cool read - thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately the weather is NOT cooperating.  92 today and supposed to be about the same this weekend.  Forecast calls for 78 by 10 am.  This is totally freakish weather for February but not unheard of.  Whatever wind will be from behind after the first couple miles but it's a shame it will be so warm.  Last year LA was in March and we had the same weather.  My friend and I just ran it as an easy long run.

Have fun Michele Very Happy
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:53 am

Tim C wrote:That was a cool read - thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately the weather is NOT cooperating.  92 today and supposed to be about the same this weekend.  Forecast calls for 78 by 10 am.  This is totally freakish weather for February but not unheard of.  Whatever wind will be from behind after the first couple miles but it's a shame it will be so warm.  Last year LA was in March and we had the same weather.  My friend and I just ran it as an easy long run.

+1 on the cool read

To bad about the weather...be careful out there Michele.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:01 am

I feel bad for the trials runners at the trials race starts at 10 am.  Although the more reason to have had the race in Houston - right, Doug???

Anyway, Sunday's race starts at 7 am - so we should have it a bit better.  Glad that I'm only running 18 and that it doesn't matter how quickly.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:49 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:

I feel bad for the trials runners at the trials race starts at 10 am.  Although the more reason to have had the race in Houston - right, Doug???

Anyway, Sunday's race starts at 7 am - so we should have it a bit better.  Glad that I'm only running 18 and that it doesn't matter how quickly.
Right, Miche1e.  Even for us 80 would be the extreme in January.  I understand the decision for LA was more intangible than tangible, maybe so the folks in NY and Boston wouldn't feel so disgusted with Houston being chosen twice over them.

As far as the temps for you, Miche1e, water and SALT will be your biggest issue, I think.  I wouldn't divest yourself of your present eating habits, as you have the stores to run the 18.  For your weight, I'd recommend a 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of salt each day this week.  In the summer here, I do a 1/2 teaspoon twice a day plus a 1/2 teaspoon after a >12 mile run, but I probably outweigh you by 100 pounds.

After looking at the NBC affiliate's forecast, humidity doesn't look like it will be Houston-like, but keep an eye on whether they start using the term 'heat index.'
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:27 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:

Duh, I am just now realizing the trials aren't being run as part of the marathon.  I just always assumed the trials runners were going out first with the rest of the elites.  Now I see they aren't even running the same course but rather a loop course.  The worst part is where they are running is nowhere close to the beach.  Gonna be really hot for those poor souls...
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:35 pm

Ok, look for me on TV - I have been assigned as a Course Marshall in Expo Park which is I believe mile 6, 14, and 20ish.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Ok, look for me on TV - I have been assigned as a Course Marshall in Expo Park which is I believe mile 6, 14, and 20ish.
Volunteer at your 2nd straight Oly Trials!

Wear something that'll stand out, like bunny ears!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:40 pm

ounce wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Ok, look for me on TV - I have been assigned as a Course Marshall in Expo Park which is I believe mile 6, 14, and 20ish.
Volunteer at your 2nd straight Oly Trials!

Wear something that'll stand out, like bunny ears!

Not sure that's allowed - but I'll have on a purple Nike cap.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:35 pm

So a couple of my friends and I are driving up to spectate tomorrow.  Don't know where exactly but if I'm in your area Michele I'll look for you.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:27 am

My my ... two in a row. Good on yer Michele! I looked for you during the television coverage but could not make a positive identification. Trust you had a good time and will again this morning as you'll finish your 18 miles well before the tarmac melts. Enjoy!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:41 pm

I am so happy i went and watched the Trials in person.  What a treat!  Certainly some downtime but after a couple of laps of the 6 mile course and the fact that the women started about 15 minutes after the men, the runners were so spread out that there was almost always someone going by.

I remember watching Ritz come up 8 seconds short of making the team in 2012.  He was looking good thru 14 miles but then he stopped right in front of us, cramping.  He tried to stretch things out but after a couple of minutes he had to throw in the towel and walk off the course right next to where we were standing.  He looked really dejected and I felt really bad for him.

Galen and Meb were amazing but when Galen came by us with 800 meters to go with a huge lead, I could not believe how easy he looked to be running yet how fast he was still going.  Hard to believe that was his first marathon, on a warm day, Olympic Trials, and he wins with a 2:11.

The women's race was also great to watch and I was happy to see Shalane hang on and finish 3rd as she looked so strong all day.  It wasn't until I got home and watched the taped replay that I could see how bad she was struggling those last few miles.  Pretty damn tough woman.  And Des just hung around all day and looked incredibly strong coming up the last straight.

All in all, it was awesome to see in person.  We were just a couple of hundred yards from the start, around the first corner, and when each race started it was incredible to see / feel 150+ runners go by in a flash and then disappear.  They are truly incredible athletes.
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next