365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2.90 5k Race for $50 - WTF!

+2
Michael Enright
Kenny B.
6 posters

Go down

2.90 5k Race for $50 - WTF! Empty 2.90 5k Race for $50 - WTF!

Post  Kenny B. Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Saturday I registered in person for a 5k race Cupid Race for $50.00 which goes towards a good cause disability. The course I am unfamiliar with but it all takes place in a park.

Judging by the looks of this race of maybe 100+ people I knew I would be in the lead pack or second pack of wolves which means they better have had good volunteers telling me where to turn.

I warmed up for a mile and ran the course to see the turn arounds. Unfortunately, I did not ask enough questions about the course at that time making assumptions this would be manned properly.

Mile 1: I was in forth place with the leader way ahead then I took over 2nd place and was clearly running alone.

Mile 2: this is where it all went to crap. There was a turn onto a gravel path and unfortunately they did not say to stay on this path all the way around the park. So as I approached a gravel path and then another carved out path I took the carved out path instead and at that moment I was off the course. (Well actually on the course but not where I was suppose to be)

The best or worst part is those behind me followed me.

Problem is I did not know I was off course yet that took place around mile 2.5 when I was running alone no one behind me and leader far ahead until I saw one guy coming towards me the other way and I knew something ran a muck.

So I turned around and headed back and as I was headed back I realized this is just a waste right but I ran it like a race and as I got closer to the finish line the first place guy was only about 10 seconds ahead of me if that and I knew what I was going to do.

As I approached the finish line in 2nd place I ran to the left of it so not to get timed and they all where wondering what why I did not finish on the pads.

I ended up running 2.90 in 18:49. Avg 6:29 but I did slow down at the end so I figure sub 20:00 was where I'd be.

Overall, it was upsetting and I told the RD who was there for $50 or for $20 you need to have volunteers placed apporpriately through the course. I was upset.

My last 3 of 5 5k races have either been mismeasured or mismanned.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

2.90 5k Race for $50 - WTF! Empty Re: 2.90 5k Race for $50 - WTF!

Post  Michael Enright Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:38 pm

That sucks.

Seems to me like everyone and there brother is organizing a 5k to fund raise these days. Makes sense, given how much interest there is in these races. But we are also seeing that it takes some effort and know-how to be race director for these. For the most part, there isn't a lot of harm in the little problems - most of the people running are just glad to finish and support the cause. But for those wanting to achieve something more, especially those in the lead or close to it, those little screw ups are the difference between a great feeling at the end or bitter disaster.

Kenny, I think you ought to target races that are better-organized. Either you've run them and know they are, or they've been run long enough that there is a good chance they have learned from their mistakes, or word of mouth. Otherwise, you are going to wonder "what if?" for years to come.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Kenny - Michael has a point. If you really want that 5K time on a legit course, you need to run a certified course. Now I know they are often hard to find with regards to a 5K - we have 100s of them every weekend here in Atlanta and probably only 1-2 of them are truly a 5K with proper timing, etc. Sorry about the experience though.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:16 pm

Geez, maybe this area is unusual but we have multiple options every weekend for 5Ks and usually at least one 10K and half as well and ALL are USTAF certified courses, even the ones put on by elementary schools. It is a running mad market but nobody will run races that are poorly organized (see Hot Chocolate 15K Ram Racing debacle here - they will never be welcomed back) and not having the course certified is unheard of. Be more choosy and only run those where you know you will get a time you can cite as a legit PR.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:31 pm

It is what it is. Thanks for the comments and I will be diligent on picking better 5k events.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 pm

Ughh - you are due a great race here, Kenny. In any case, sounded like you had a good race effort there - sub 20 is no small thing!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Had a similar experience only on the last mile of a trail marathon following runners ahead of me who were finishing the half marathon. There were tiny markers half way down a fire lane back onto the single track that none of us saw. It cost me at least 10 minutes or more. Schuey is running the 50 miler there in August, but they supposedly fixed it this last year. Sorry about your race especially since you had a good mojo go'in!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:14 am

fostever wrote:Had a similar experience only on the last mile of a trail marathon following runners ahead of me who were finishing the half marathon. There were tiny markers half way down a fire lane back onto the single track that none of us saw. It cost me at least 10 minutes or more. Schuey is running the 50 miler there in August, but they supposedly fixed it this last year. Sorry about your race especially since you had a good mojo go'in!

Thanks you too!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down