365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Law Day 10K race

+9
Alex Kubacki
Schuey
T Miller
amyjoann
fostever
Gobbles
Michele "1L" Keane
KBFitz
wheakory
13 posters

Go down

Law Day 10K race Empty Law Day 10K race

Post  wheakory Sun May 06, 2012 2:45 am

Ran the Law Day 10k Run today. I felt pretty good and surprised myself on the time. Because I didn't taper or really try to do this race with fresh legs. This was mainly a test for fitness to see what I could muster while trying to get as many miles as I could this week with limited time. Thursday I did 11 miles and 12
Friday with Acceleration intervals mixed in. Total of 70 miles

Left home at 7:30 to get to the race befor 8am with my daughter. She also ran the 10K Law Day Race and did a good job after running her city track meet yesterday.

Got there and warmed up a bit... I had on shorts long sleeve shirt and a singlet on top of that.at 39 degrees. Really didn't feel cold and the warm-up felt good. The 10k Course was short by .2 according to my garmin. I really wish they would make it the full 6.2 because I like to run the official distance to know your true 10k time.

First Mile: 6:50 (flat) Since my recovery I hadn't been able to start like I feel fast or in a groove, but It might just be me being mentally conservative since I havent ran races for a while..

Second Mile: 6:55, (flat and hilly) More the same not pushing at least I think. I knew hills were coming and just felt like I shouldn't push it yet. This thought was in the back of my head, but maybe I should have pushed just to see what would happen. I've always told myselt trust in your training.

Third Mile: 6:35 (flat and hilly) Ok I started to feel I was warming up and started passing other runners and felt in a groove. My shoe came untied at this point, but I wasn't going to stop so I just ran this way the rest of the race.

Fourth Mile: 6:24 (flat more uphill) Feeling still good and passing runners and just having fun. I really felt good even with the shoe completely undone. It really felt a weird sense of freshness and strength at this point. I really felt my stride and pace was good and healthy/strong with the sciatic nerve not bothering me.

Five Mile: 6:00 (flat) Fastest Mile since my recovery. Something was happening here it just felt so easy that I was floating. I felt like my old self.

Sixth Mile 5:59 (flat) Lied...REPEAT my fastest mile since my recovery and I passed two runners at this point and finished 4 overall in the race and first in my age division. The great thing is I didn't feel exhausted and just kept the pace strong to the finishing line.

38:30 Time 4 place and first in my age division out of 200 runners.
Overall felt good and will continue to try and achieve more.

Afterwards I ran almost three miles to the start line to get the car with Barry Smith and Bill Mandler. What a fun chatty run. We just had fun and I enjoyed the company as much as running the race. They are both great guys to run with and they did well in the race.

Then I drove to the finish line and let my daughter drive home while I ran another 9.20 miles home.

Off to mow my grandpa's lawn and a daughter's volleyball game.

Last edited by kory.wheatley@gmail.com on Mon May 07, 2012 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add information)
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Law Day 10K race Empty Re: Law Day 10K race

Post  KBFitz Sun May 06, 2012 8:47 am

Beautifully Done Mr. Wheatly! Your mile 5 description had me smiling broadly. Indeed, something appears to have been happening there. Your performance and that felling of ease is a testament to your talent, patience and fortitude.

Three Cheers! cheers
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun May 06, 2012 10:54 am

Damn, Kory - awesome run. That is how to run a 10K! I'm so glad to see everything coming together again. (39F - are you freaking kidding me!)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Sun May 06, 2012 12:15 pm

KBFitz wrote:Beautifully Done Mr. Wheatly! Your mile 5 description had me smiling broadly. Indeed, something appears to have been happening there. Your performance and that felling of ease is a testament to your talent, patience and fortitude.

Three Cheers! cheers
Thanks KBFitz - your right what happen at mile 5 was a key and just magical where I felt like the hard work has paid off. Feeling my old running self again is humbling.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Sun May 06, 2012 12:18 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Damn, Kory - awesome run. That is how to run a 10K! I'm so glad to see everything coming together again. (39F - are you freaking kidding me!)

That's Michele - you've given me a lot of determination with your post to keep pushing. I really appreciate that. You've done some great things and are very skilled.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Sun May 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Kory:

Been keeping up with your story, and wishing you the best.
Congrats on a great race - Even if it wasn't as fast as you were, the split progression is magnificent. Wish I could do that more often.
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun May 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Nice negative split race, sounds like you had a better time in you, but smart to hold off at first to get a feel where you are at recovery wise. Congrats on the AG win and solid race!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon May 07, 2012 4:46 pm

sounds like a great race ! And I would say your training really seems to be working .Having all that energy to get more work done and volleyball game I say awesome!
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon May 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Awesome! Congrats Kory.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon May 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Way to go Kory! Nice to see the road back is coming along just great for you!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue May 08, 2012 7:36 am

Great race. Nice splits. Congrats.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue May 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Once a racer, always a racer. Inspirational, Kory!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed May 09, 2012 2:16 pm

Wow, 4th place and first in your age group! Great job! It's great to hear you're back to running again! Congrats!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Sun May 13, 2012 3:25 am

Jerry wrote:Once a racer, always a racer. Inspirational, Kory!
Thanks Jerry - It's something that's hard to shake when you know that you may have some racing left.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Sun May 13, 2012 3:26 am

Penelope wrote:Wow, 4th place and first in your age group! Great job! It's great to hear you're back to running again! Congrats!

Thanks Penelope - its amazing what God can do.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Tue May 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Awesome job Kory! You still have a few more races in you, I can tell. Great negative splits!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed May 16, 2012 3:32 pm

This race report brings a smile to my face, Kory!!! Very Happy Great to see you continue your comeback....and first sub-6 at the end of a race? I love it.

Keep up the hard work buddy
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down