365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

35, 5, and 2

+22
Paula Sue
Michael Enright
Schuey
nkrichards
mul21
dot520
JohnP
Jerry
carleenp
Dave P
Michael Mitchell
Joel H
John Kilpatrick
Peg Coover
Liz R
KathyK
Reina
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
Mark B
ounce
26 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

35, 5, and 2 - Page 32 Empty Re: 35, 5, and 2

Post  ounce Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:39 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Y'all are going to have to help me out, here.  I don't see where 12 is any kind of reasonable.

I see miles 6-10 as slowing, for the same HR.
6.  11:49, 154 bpm
7.  12:06, 155 bpm
8   12:10, 158 bpm
9.  12:16, 156 bpm
10. 12:27, 158 bpm

I liked the 150 bpm pace, as I didn't think I was being pushed.  It seemed like a good target, even though I couldn't nail 1 mile with the numbers 1-5-0.  I think it's logical that the more I train, the more realistic holding 150 longer becomes and the tighter the times become.

But I need a little help getting that 12 is reasonable or very reasonable.
You're looking at the WRONG miles, Doug. Look at Miles 1-5.

1. 11:23, 149 bpm
2. 11:47, 153 bpm
3. 11:56, 156 bpm
4. 12:03, 155 bpm
5. 12:03, 157 bpm

You started off WAY TOO FAST in this race, and paid for it pretty quickly. But imagine what would have happened if you'd aimed to run that first mile at about 12 -- I'd bet you wouldn't have experienced the HR creep and pace fall-off you experienced later.

This race wasn't as much about practicing perfect pacing as it was about stimulating your body and boosting your lactate threshold. You achieved that goal very well. Once race day comes around, with more training and a good taper, those benefits will be obvious.

So that's why I think 12/mi is a very reasonable pace for you in a marathon - as long as you stick to the plan. If you rabbit out of the gate, all bets are off.
I got to 150 HR much quicker than I anticipated.  I figured it would take me a half mile to a mile to get to 150.  I guess the warm up mile or two made it possible to get into the right HR?

I thought I was supposed to get to 150 and stay there.  Actually, it worked out to getting to 156 and staying there +/- 3 bpm.  So, should I run 130 the first mile, then 140 the second, until getting to 150 in the 3rd?
This is where we're running into some confusion. This run - targeting 150 - was more a stimulus to your LT than anything. Seeing what happened to your HR and pace during that run suggests that using a traditional pacing of 12/mi could work for you on race day. It's a slightly different animal.
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Agreed that you started too fast - yes you should be at 130, then 140, and settle into 150 by mile 3 or 4.  Then you should pick a target to stay at - for instance, Wendy stayed at 148-150 during the miles that I ran with her, and I kept checking when it felt like we sped up and we would adjust.  Same holds true for a marathon.  Then in the latter miles, you can let it drift upwards.  I usually try to run the first 20 miles or so at 65-75% and then I let it go (if all is well).
mul21 wrote:And there's Michele with a boatload of racing experience with a completely different take on where her HR is during a well run race.  It really is different for everyone.  However, I think that if you know your max HR is ~200, then you can pretty well guarantee that your LT is 85% of that, or 170.  Now, figuring out exactly what pace you hit 85% is definitely an exercise that takes some practice.  The pace charts will get you close, but dialing it in just right will take a few runs. 

And Mark is dead on about finding a number not to exceed until maybe even the last 5K.  If you crack 165, you're probably working too hard unless you're in the last 10K.  At that point, it's a battle of wills and how high your pain threshold is.  At least that's been my experience in the last 10K of a marathon.  It's more about fighting muscle fatigue than it is about aerobic effort once you've pounded your body for that long.
So let me see if I understand what y'all are saying by stating it differently.

For the marathon and all things being optimal, I should:
1.  Run miles 4-20 at either 12/mile or 75% HR, whichever comes first?  Any cardiac creep up to 80% is acceptable, as long as it c-r-e-e-p-s.
and 2.  Run miles 1, 2 and 3 at a HR progression starting at 65%. 
and 3.  Run the last 6 at a pace suitable at that time.

How's that?  Sorry about going down to the gnat's ass on this, but it aids in absorption.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:12 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Y'all are going to have to help me out, here.  I don't see where 12 is any kind of reasonable.

I liked the 150 bpm pace, as I didn't think I was being pushed.  It seemed like a good target, even though I couldn't nail 1 mile with the numbers 1-5-0.  I think it's logical that the more I train, the more realistic holding 150 longer becomes and the tighter the times become.

You started off WAY TOO FAST in this race, and paid for it pretty quickly. But imagine what would have happened if you'd aimed to run that first mile at about 12 -- I'd bet you wouldn't have experienced the HR creep and pace fall-off you experienced later.

This race wasn't as much about practicing perfect pacing as it was about stimulating your body and boosting your lactate threshold. You achieved that goal very well. Once race day comes around, with more training and a good taper, those benefits will be obvious.

So that's why I think 12/mi is a very reasonable pace for you in a marathon - as long as you stick to the plan. If you rabbit out of the gate, all bets are off.
I got to 150 HR much quicker than I anticipated.  I figured it would take me a half mile to a mile to get to 150.  I guess the warm up mile or two made it possible to get into the right HR?

I thought I was supposed to get to 150 and stay there.  Actually, it worked out to getting to 156 and staying there +/- 3 bpm.  So, should I run 130 the first mile, then 140 the second, until getting to 150 in the 3rd?
This is where we're running into some confusion. This run - targeting 150 - was more a stimulus to your LT than anything. Seeing what happened to your HR and pace during that run suggests that using a traditional pacing of 12/mi could work for you on race day. It's a slightly different animal.
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Agreed that you started too fast - yes you should be at 130, then 140, and settle into 150 by mile 3 or 4.  Then you should pick a target to stay at - for instance, Wendy stayed at 148-150 during the miles that I ran with her, and I kept checking when it felt like we sped up and we would adjust.  Same holds true for a marathon.  Then in the latter miles, you can let it drift upwards.  I usually try to run the first 20 miles or so at 65-75% and then I let it go (if all is well).
mul21 wrote:And there's Michele with a boatload of racing experience with a completely different take on where her HR is during a well run race.  It really is different for everyone.  However, I think that if you know your max HR is ~200, then you can pretty well guarantee that your LT is 85% of that, or 170.  Now, figuring out exactly what pace you hit 85% is definitely an exercise that takes some practice.  The pace charts will get you close, but dialing it in just right will take a few runs. 

And Mark is dead on about finding a number not to exceed until maybe even the last 5K.  If you crack 165, you're probably working too hard unless you're in the last 10K.  At that point, it's a battle of wills and how high your pain threshold is.  At least that's been my experience in the last 10K of a marathon.  It's more about fighting muscle fatigue than it is about aerobic effort once you've pounded your body for that long.

1.  Run miles 4-20 at either 12/mile or 75% HR, whichever comes first?  Any cardiac creep up to 80% is acceptable, as long as it c-r-e-e-p-s.

How's that?  Sorry about going down to the gnat's ass on this, but it aids in absorption.
Boy, this is getting so complicated.
1. Don't start off too fast.  Work your way down to 12 minute miles (GMP) if that is your goal pace.  I'm not sure HR is the best number to use here.
2. Don't run too hard in the middle miles.  Keep it at 12 minute miles (GMP) unless you start working too hard to maintain and then let your heart rate be your guide.
3. Finish off at a pace that is the fastest that you can sustain.  Let it rip but ideally by speeding up throughout the remainder of the race instead of kicking it in and crashing midway through.

How's that?
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:00 pm

Works like a champ.  Thanks, Tim.  Fine job at JFK, too.  Approval
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:01 pm

T Miller wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Boy, this is getting so complicated.
1. Don't start off too fast.  Work your way down to 12 minute miles (GMP) if that is your goal pace.  I'm not sure HR is the best number to use here.
2. Don't run too hard in the middle miles.  Keep it at 12 minute miles (GMP) unless you start working too hard to maintain and then let your heart rate be your guide.
3. Finish off at a pace that is the fastest that you can sustain.  Let it rip but ideally by speeding up throughout the remainder of the race instead of kicking it in and crashing midway through.

How's that?
                ^
What he said.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:39 am

BK level was 0.1, this morning, down from yesterday's 0.6.  This was possibly due to taste testing a variation to pumpkin pie filling that I'm creating (sugar-free).  The carbs from the pumpkin plus some bacon last night might be the culprits. 

Lots of pre-cooking to be done this evening and in the morning for Thanksgiving. 

I didn't run this morning, even though I set out the stuff last night.  So, my next opportunity to run will be on Monday.  If nothing else, it gives my body the opportunity to heal in some places.  Did yoga last night and it was very chilly in the room, as it's in the CrossFit box I attend and it's neither heated nor air conditioned.  My toes were freezing.

Y'all have a safe Thanksgiving.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Hopefully not too many days off during the heavy eating time of year.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Dave P wrote:Hopefully not too many days off during the heavy eating time of year.
Hey, Dave!  Thanks for stopping by & nice to read you.

No, I won't be eating heavily at all.  Being Low Carb/High Fat doesn't allow for random pigging out during this time of year.  I can have a "Lo" blood ketone level sporadically, but it has to be planned, like after a race. 

I have found out what happens when many consecutive "Lo"'s happen and it affects the running.  And with 7-1/2 weeks to go, I can't let that happen.

Have a grateful Thanksgiving, Dave.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:15 am

I'm the stuffing maker for family Thanksgiving events.  Also, the biscuit maker, chocolatier, and smoker.  Last year's stuffing was dry, so I remembered to make a point to make it moister because there are few things worse than dry stuffing.  This is cornbread stuffing.  In addition to adding more butter, I added about 5 diced up mushrooms, which were sauteed along with the onions and celery because mushrooms hold so much water in them.  It worked out and didn't need any gravy, which is like great BBQ in that, great BBQ doesn't need sauce.

BK was "Lo" this morning and I expect it to be Lo for a couple more mornings until the carbs work their way out.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:13 pm

week 16 of 22
There wasn't much of a point to take my blood ketone levels until I thought I'd get something other than a Lo.  This morning, I was curious and curiosity brought me a 0.1 BK level.  My goal race is 7 weeks from today on January 19.  There's lots of work to get done between now and then.  It's divided up into eating and running.

I remember a reply Dr Peter Attia gave me to a question regarding proper intake of protein and its affect on  blood ketone levels.  He suggested the timing of when the protein is eaten would influence the level.  I've thought about that over the holiday period and decided to concentrate my protein consumption as far from the next BK level as I could.  I take the level in the mornings, so breakfast will be my protein period to where it can do its thing without adversely affecting the number, in theory.  Lunch and dinner will be the "creamed, sauteed veggie of the meal" and you & I will see the levels.

Starting tomorrow, my PT visits are going to be just 2x/week, instead of 3x.  I guess I'm using it as a security blanket in order to fix any issues between now and the end of the year that might crop up.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:27 am

BK level doubled to 0.2Rolling Eyes   Hey, but an increase is a good thing.

I was going to run 9 miles this morning in my new, blue 'n green Kinvaras, but they started making the sensitive area medial to my left tibia hurt at about 1/4 mile and enough to make me stop at 1 mile.  I walked home, put on my orange, 150 mile Kinvaras and ran 1.5 miles before the discomfort was enough to not make it any worse.  THEN, I put the blue ones back on and barely got a tenth of a mile.

I had been walking around in the blue Kinvaras since purchasing them on November 22 and they were doing fine.  But walking ain't running, I guess.  I was thinking of shaving some of the sole of the heel to accelerate the break-in, but the PT didn't think too much of that idea.  I brought the left shoes of each color to PT, so they could see the wear pattern on the orange pair. 

I might just run in the blue ones each day this week to see if I can break them in.  Seems like I might need 40 miles to break them in, but that'll take a while at 1 mile a day.

Also thinking of looking for a completely different shoe.  I have the 30K race on the 15th and one more long run on Christmas, so I'm running out of time to get a race day shoe.  Crap.  Thoughts?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:42 am

Dang. I thought the Kinvara was working out for you. Did you have this problem earlier on with the orange pair? Or the blue ones?

If you didn't, then the problem might not be the shoes. Is there something else new you're doing? And how far up the tibia is the pain?

If it IS the shoes, it may have something to do with the smaller heel drop in the Kinvara. It's 4 mm. The heel-top-toe drop in the old Vomeros you had was 12 mm. I think a smaller heel lift is a good thing, but that's a big change in a short time period. If you do look for a replacement race shoe, consider something in between, with a standard 8-10 mm drop.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:54 am

Mark B wrote:Dang. I thought the Kinvara was working out for you. Did you have this problem earlier on with the orange pair? Or the blue ones?

If you didn't, then the problem might not be the shoes. Is there something else new you're doing? And how far up the tibia is the pain?

If it IS the shoes, it may have something to do with the smaller heel drop in the Kinvara. It's 4 mm. The heel-top-toe drop in the old Vomeros you had was 12 mm. I think a smaller heel lift is a good thing, but that's a big change in a short time period. If you do look for a replacement race shoe, consider something in between, with a standard 8-10 mm drop.
I did have the issue with the orange ones, but it was lateral to the tibia and resolved over a week or two.  I don't remember it being this painful.  However, the area medial to the tibia is in a healing mode anyway and is the weak link in both legs.  And it could very well be that going to a different pair would produce the same pain.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:49 am

I forgot to give the monthly weight, when the month changed.  My weight is 183 pounds, down 1 pound from the end of October.  I don't weigh myself as often as before.  I usually get a good idea by how clothes fit.  I have a lot of clothes to donate of the XL size and even some Large sized stuff is too big.  Although, runner's clothes in a Large still either look shrink-wrapped or very tapered.

This morning's BK level doubled AGAIN to 0.4.  The pain in my left lower leg is better this morning, as before going to bed I took 30 mg of Meloxicam that has served me well in the past for pain and swelling.  The PT-suggested ibuprofen wasn't doing any thing.

I tried trotting on my hurt leg, last night before 7, but I didn't even make it outside.  As it turned out, that was a good thing as I had a family emergency that was evolving at that time.  The emergency resolved itself just before midnight.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Neutral on the family emergency. Hope it's better now.

Approval on the weight loss, and ketone reading.

Might want to ice and warm pack the lower leg to speed healing. Sounds like more of an actual injury than tendonitis, which is more achy and annoying.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Mark B wrote:Neutral on the family emergency. Hope it's better now.

Approval on the weight loss, and ketone reading.

Might want to ice and warm pack the lower leg to speed healing. Sounds like more of an actual injury than tendonitis, which is more achy and annoying.
Thanks.  70% recovered and should be 100% by Thursday.

Yeah, I think the weight loss is due to muscle loss, since I'm not lifting weights as much.  1 or 2 pounds spread across my upper body isn't much, but I don't want to wither away, either.

I do need to get back to the cold/hot thing.  I have felt no pain at all, today.  There again, I haven't tried to extend or flex it, either.  Just normal walking.  I'll get a lot of flexion at yoga, tonight, and some extension work, too.

The new NB 890's should be arriving tomorrow.  (And so my mind doesn't figure out what's going on, this week is a 'mini-taper' for the 30K on the 15th.  shhhh.)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:43 am

This morning's BK level dropped by half to 0.2.  I had some leftover pork tenderloin after yoga, last night, plus had some liver 'n onions for lunch.

Ah, but the headline today is no pain in the tibia area.  When last we left our concerned runner, I had taken 30 milligrams of Meloxicam on Monday night.  All day Tuesday, I was pain free just doing normal walking around the office and had no pain during yoga.

I woke up this morning with no pain and the idea to try out the old foot with the new blue Kinvaras.  By the way, it was 68 degrees this morning with all the humidity science allows and a steady south wind at 10-15 mph. 

I started out trotting along with no pain, just that little residual 'trash-in-the-fibers' feeling.  I continued on with the trek, gradually increasing speed after each mile with no pain.  When's the bottom going to fall out?  Well, it never did.  Indeed, there were a couple of parts where there was no bad feeling at all.  I'm over the hump.  The second half of the run was executed at marathon pace or so.  I am very pleased.

6.7 miles, 1:26:51, 12:57 pace, 135 avg bpm, 165 max HR during the last mile, 1st half pace 14:06, 2nd half pace 11:48, 1st half time 47 minutes, 2nd half time 39 minutes.

1. 15:15, 113 bpm
  2. 14:12, 123 bpm
  3. 13:38, 130 bpm
  4. 12:31, 140 bpm
  5. 11:45, 151 bpm
  6. 11:39, 153 bpm
  7. 11:07 pace, 155 bpm

And I'm sitting here with an ice pack on my foot as a preventative.  I have PT at 7, today.  I'm thinking about doing a long run tomorrow, instead of Friday when it's supposed to be raining animals.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:29 am

Nicely done. Glad your foot/ankle are speaking to you again.

I wouldn't worry too much about a little loss of upper body mass. Given the work you have been doing in that area, you're way more beefcake than the rest of us. cyclops 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Well, I just wanted to stay up with the strength, so in February when I restart CrossFit that I'll be stronger than I did this past February.

And this 'beefcake' still has a lot of marbling.  I know my abs are tighter than ever, but I describe it as 3 pack abs in an igloo.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:57 pm

ounce wrote:Well, I just wanted to stay up with the strength, so in February when I restart CrossFit that I'll be stronger than I did this past February.

And this 'beefcake' still has a lot of marbling.  I know my abs are tighter than ever, but I describe it as 3 pack abs in an igloo.
Maybe you should change your screen name to "Angus." What a Face
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:04 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Well, I just wanted to stay up with the strength, so in February when I restart CrossFit that I'll be stronger than I did this past February.

Maybe you should change your screen name to "Angus." What a Face
Adjusted my signature.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:28 am

So, my BK level increased 400% to 0.8, this morning, and that's perfectly fine and elevating.

No running today, as I am waiting for the cold front to sweep through the area and plummet the temps from 75 now to around 48, tomorrow morning, maybe with some rain.  Good running weather.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:16 am

ounce wrote:So, my BK level increased 400% to 0.8, this morning, and that's perfectly fine and elevating.

No running today, as I am waiting for the cold front to sweep through the area and plummet the temps from 75 now to around 48, tomorrow morning, maybe with some rain.  Good running weather.
Hope the temperature doesn't swing too much on you; it's 17 degrees here right now. That might cause a few problems for you ...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:31 am

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:So, my BK level increased 400% to 0.8, this morning, and that's perfectly fine and elevating.

Hope the temperature doesn't swing too much on you; it's 17 degrees here right now. That might cause a few problems for you ...
Nah, it'll get wet and a little cooler, but 35 degree drops are usually our maximum swing.  On Saturday night/Sunday morning, freezing rain might occur, but no snow because too much warm air in the atmosphere.  Monday night is supposed to be colder with communities north of Houston (like 50 miles north) getting a hard freeze in the mid-20's.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:47 pm

BK level had slipped to 0.5, this morning.

It was 36 degrees with a wind out of the north between 7 and 15 mph, before getting out to run.  There was a probability of rain, but it had mostly been a steady mist, prior to my run.

The objective of this run was to further familiarize my lower left leg and foot to the new blue 'n green Kinvaras in order to see if they're going to be good play buddies.  It was going to be a long run of somewhere between 9 and 16 miles.  The shorter the distance, the less social my leg and shoe were acting together.

I wore three long sleeve shirts, which is a crew neck UA Cold Spot shrink wrap dual layer shirt that even when I bought it 3 years ago as a 2XL and 50 pounds heavier, it still is shrink wrap fitting.  2nd layer was a loose fitting UA dual layer in XL and my Coolmax Navy PF shirt.  I put a cut-to-size dry cleaning bag over all of the shirts to deflect the rain and wind.  I wore my usual running shorts with no tights, my Buff, my very functional thick baseball cap style hat with ear muffs and a pair of gloves.

12.45 miles, 2:42, 13:00 pace, 140 bpm, 156 max bpm during the last mile, 1st half pace 13:02 , 2nd half pace 12:58

1. 13:17, 129 bpm
  2. 12:58, 135 bpm
  3. 12:47, 139 bpm
  4. 13:06, 141 bpm
  5. 13:16, 135 bpm
  6. 13:01, 138 bpm
  7. 12:53, 142 bpm
  8. 13:01, 142 bpm
  9. 13:01, 143 bpm
  10. 13:06, 142 bpm
  11. 12:52, 145 bpm
  12. 12:45, 149 bpm
  13. 12:53 pace, 150 bpm

The gloves I used this time were the pair I bought at REI for my Half Dome hike in 2010 at Yosemite and Carleen had given me the idea in the "What bugs you about cold weather running?" thread that I authored yesterday.  The gloves were wool and had finger holes to the 2nd joint and a flap that covers the fingers, plus the tip of the thumb can be exposed for texting, etc.  Carleen had mentioned about her Brooks gloves that she can peel back.  These gloves were warm and deflected more cold air than my other cheap gloves.  And like she said, when my fingers got warm, I just peeled back the flap to cool them down.  And it also helped changing songs on my Shuffle.  My gloves are definitely not running gloves, but that's okay because the dry cleaning bag isn't a running jacket.

As I was walking from my apartment to the start point, my left foot was already whining.  I stopped and loosened the shoe string, so there wasn't any onerous pressure in that area.  I started out slow for the first mile at 130 bpm, with my left foot quietly grumbling.  I also seemed rather lethargic through the first few miles.  It had been Wednesday since my last run and I was out of Nutritional Ketosis for 3 days over the Thanksgiving holiday.  It would be good to know that being 3 days out of NK would affect me this way.  It could also be just slow to start, but I usually am not slow to start after not running for 2 days.

At mile 2, I bumped it up to 140 bpm, with no legitimate grumblings.  At mile 4.2, I stopped for some water.  I was heading out of Memorial Park for the next piece of a 4 mile total out 'n back, when I got this new, sharp pain in my lower leg at mile 4.25.  Immediately, I stopped, turned around, and started heading back to Memorial Park.  I was 4.25 miles from home and I turned around because I didn't want to be 6 miles away, if it got really bad.  Cold air, sweating, a persistent mist, and a leg injury doesn't make for a fun hobble of 6 miles.

The pain started subsiding and the only thing I could think for a cause was the down time for the drink of water and the restart because it was only 300 feet when it was bubbling up.  Anywho, I started running the loop at Memorial Park and the pain became a grumble and stayed a grumble for the remainder of the run.  Pissy muscles.

So, I finished about 12.5 miles at a 13 minute pace (1st half pace was 13:02).

One thing that happened near mile 9, I received some solid energy in my legs.  This would lead me to believe that 3 days of being out of NK probably causes my body to be slow to commit fatty acids to the energy burning state OR my body was looking for glycogen to burn and finding none, made the conversion to burning fatty acids.  That takes almost 2 hours to make that realization and conversion.  Of course, it could've happened sooner, but it was mile 9 when I noticed it.

When I look at and post the splits, I might be able to figure out when my legs got the juice.

Finally, I am so glad I wore the dry cleaning bag because it misted, then showered decently in the first half of the run and that bag kept my shirts from getting damp on the chest and back.  The only time I noticed my chest being cool was when I ripped the bag off on my walk back home.  The breeze came up and I noticed the cold air on my stomach.  Better products through chemistry.

Last edited by ounce on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : insert splits.)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:05 am

BK level dropped to 0.2, this morning.  I'm going to work on keeping a number (instead of "Lo") for the weekend because it makes it easier to increase the number during the week.

No residual stiffness, this morning, although I was a little wobbly, late last night, and it continued to be there this morning.  Usually, this is a low sodium event and occurs in the summer.  I had been consistent on taking 2 grams (1/4 teaspoon) of salt every day, most of the time by adding it to food.  Maybe over the weeks/months since September I have been gradually depleting sodium.  I took a 1/4 tsp this morning with my vitamins.  And while still not fixed, I'm on the right track...presuming it's a sodium issue.

It's 5 degrees cooler this morning than yesterday morning at a balmy 31 degrees.  Y'all stay warm.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum