365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heart getting efficient

+4
beanrunner
Nick Morris
mul21
ounce
8 posters

Go down

Heart getting efficient Empty Heart getting efficient

Post  ounce Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:42 am

We all know that when our legs need more muscle fibers that mitochondria is the what gets created.

But what about the heart? That durn muscle is so efficient at getting stronger, but does it get bigger? Just how does the heart get efficient. Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Heart getting efficient Empty Re: Heart getting efficient

Post  mul21 Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:53 am

The heart itself doesn't get more efficient. It pumps a relatively constant amount of blood with each beat. What happens is that all the other systems (particularly the capillaries) become more efficient at carrying oxygen throughout your body, therefore requring your heart to pump less frequently to get oxygen distributed throughout your body. Hence, the better shape you get in, the same heart rate will allow you to go faster at the same amount of effort than you could prior to the improvement in fitness.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:41 pm

ounce wrote:We all know that when our legs need more muscle fibers that mitochondria is the what gets created.

But what about the heart? That durn muscle is so efficient at getting stronger, but does it get bigger? Just how does the heart get efficient. Thanks.

If that was the case, my heart would be HUGE!!lol!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  beanrunner Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:08 pm

mul21 wrote:The heart itself doesn't get more efficient. It pumps a relatively constant amount of blood with each beat. What happens is that all the other systems (particularly the capillaries) become more efficient at carrying oxygen throughout your body, therefore requring your heart to pump less frequently to get oxygen distributed throughout your body. Hence, the better shape you get in, the same heart rate will allow you to go faster at the same amount of effort than you could prior to the improvement in fitness.

What makes you run crappy @145-155 BPM but makes you run like the wind @ 160-172 BPM?

beanrunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 pm

mul21 wrote:The heart itself doesn't get more efficient. It pumps a relatively constant amount of blood with each beat.

Well, not exactly true. Exercise does improve stroke volume, the amount of blood pumped with each beat. Prolonged aerobic exercise does make the heart more efficient, and usually results in a lower resting heart rate.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:55 pm

beanrunner wrote:
mul21 wrote:The heart itself doesn't get more efficient. It pumps a relatively constant amount of blood with each beat. What happens is that all the other systems (particularly the capillaries) become more efficient at carrying oxygen throughout your body, therefore requring your heart to pump less frequently to get oxygen distributed throughout your body. Hence, the better shape you get in, the same heart rate will allow you to go faster at the same amount of effort than you could prior to the improvement in fitness.

What makes you run crappy @145-155 BPM but makes you run like the wind @ 160-172 BPM?

Poor aerobic conditioning.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KathyK Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Mr MattM wrote:
mul21 wrote:The heart itself doesn't get more efficient. It pumps a relatively constant amount of blood with each beat.

Well, not exactly true. Exercise does improve stroke volume, the amount of blood pumped with each beat. Prolonged aerobic exercise does make the heart more efficient, and usually results in a lower resting heart rate.

I always find it interesting that the heart doesn't lie. Whenever I go in to see any sort of health care provider and they check my heart rate, I always get the same response...."You must be a runner."..that's even before they ask any questions about my exercise/eating habits. My heart tells them the story without me having to say a word.
KathyK
KathyK
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:25 pm

KathyK wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:

I always find it interesting that the heart doesn't lie. Whenever I go in to see any sort of health care provider and they check my heart rate, I always get the same response...."You must be a runner."..that's even before they ask any questions about my exercise/eating habits. My heart tells them the story without me having to say a word.
Also the running shoes and jacket are a dead give away.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down