365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5K (swim) training

3 posters

Go down

5K (swim) training Empty 5K (swim) training

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Don't know if this is really the place for this as it has little to do with running, but there is a ton of information out there on where to begin for running training for various race lengths, but little that I'm aware of regarding 5k open water swim training. I think I'm going to do an ocean 5K race in May and wonder if some of the former/current swimmers have any experience here? For me, swimming is weird in that a super hard effort results in maybe a minute faster a mile than a fairly moderate effort - I don't know if I should model a running training for swimming, just swim as much as I can take, how to mix in VO2 max/sprint stuff, etc. I may have to back off a little as my shoulders are starting to feel like they are really taking a beating...

Any thoughts?

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

5K (swim) training Empty Re: 5K (swim) training

Post  T Miller Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:45 am

Yea, You're nuts.

This way, after your first ironman, you can start looking at double ironman events.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Me nuts? Swimming is easy compared running - and it wasn't good enough to beat the cr@p out of us with marathons, now you and Martin have to do it in ultramarathons too!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Ocean 5K??????? Yup, nuts. I've done several Open Water swims (back in my college days), but they were all 1-1.5 miles and in freshwater. Sorry, nothing great to add except that you're nuts.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down