365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another question about an oldie but goodie

3 posters

Go down

Another question about an oldie but goodie Empty Another question about an oldie but goodie

Post  Diego Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:25 pm

Do any of you run the Hudson (2 x) 6-5-4-3-2-1 minute tempo with 6=MP, 5=HMP, 4=10k, 3=8k, 2=5k, and 1=3k pace?

There are 1 minute intervals and 5 minutes between sets.

I ran this last night as my introduction back into speedwork and wondered how others felt during/ after this workout.

I really liked it because it's relatively hard and you also keep your heart rate high for almost an hour.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Another question about an oldie but goodie Empty Re: Another question about an oldie but goodie

Post  Ben Z Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:03 pm

I have not done this exact workout but Hudson's other speed work intro workout: the 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3 @ 10k pace and faster with equal recoveries at a decent clip multiple times. I normally feel quite fatigued at the end and after 2-3 cool down miles. Just a notch below a true interval workout.

I'm becoming a big fan of these types of workouts, though what you did is obviously harder. You don't need a track and can run them by effort if needed based on the terrain.

As I learn more about the type of training most Kenyans do on a weekly basis I think these are a good idea year-round: fartlek runs. I've read most Kenyans do a weekly fartlek run and often it becomes a run of attrition. One seems to be 20 * 2 min 'on' and 1 min 'off' with the 'off' portions still with a decent effort.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Another question about an oldie but goodie Empty Re: Another question about an oldie but goodie

Post  Dave-O Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:20 pm

So I was crunched for time last Thursday and wanted to get some sort of workout done before having to catch a flight. I decided on the 6-5-4-3-2-1, but with only 1 set.

My impression: Uh, I don't know if I would have made it through again.

Either that or I ran way too hard on the interval, because the numbers just don't make sense. I was stuck on a treadmill, and to make it easy, I kept the interval at 6:00 pace, thinking that was okay because its meant to be a fartlek workout. Well, in the 27:00, I covered a tad over 5 miles, which puts me at a sub-5:30 pace. Thus, going through a second time would put me at roughly a 10 mile workout in about 54:00. Which would have been 30 seconds off a 10 mile race PR. There's no way I would recommend someone going that hard in a workout, unless its meant to be a once-per-cycle type workout.

So what did I do wrong?
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Dave-O wrote:So I was crunched for time last Thursday and wanted to get some sort of workout done before having to catch a flight. I decided on the 6-5-4-3-2-1, but with only 1 set.

My impression: Uh, I don't know if I would have made it through again.

Either that or I ran way too hard on the interval, because the numbers just don't make sense. I was stuck on a treadmill, and to make it easy, I kept the interval at 6:00 pace, thinking that was okay because its meant to be a fartlek workout. Well, in the 27:00, I covered a tad over 5 miles, which puts me at a sub-5:30 pace. Thus, going through a second time would put me at roughly a 10 mile workout in about 54:00. Which would have been 30 seconds off a 10 mile race PR. There's no way I would recommend someone going that hard in a workout, unless its meant to be a once-per-cycle type workout.

So what did I do wrong?

I did the intervals at MP plus 45 rather than MP + 10. I also went with current 5k,3k,8k pace.

Hudson wanted this workout to be an introduction to speedwork rather than a midcycle workout.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down