365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What time would you run marathon in if....

+15
wrichman
Chris M
ssilvert
carleenp
Kenny B.
Jeff F
mountandog
Michele "1L" Keane
Mark B
Admin
John Kilpatrick
Glenn
Mike MacLellan
Jerry
Alex Kubacki
19 posters

Go down

What time would you run marathon in if.... Empty What time would you run marathon in if....

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:47 am

Saw this on Lets Run a few weeks ago and thought it was interesting.

You have 15min from right now from wherever you are to start a marathon. What kind of time would you run it in? Factor in if you have running shoes and clothing near you, if you did a run already, if you just ate a big meal, if you're actually training for one or just finished one, etc.

Also, what would you use the 15min for?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

What time would you run marathon in if.... Empty Re: What time would you run marathon in if....

Post  Jerry Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:57 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:

Also, what would you use the 15min for?

Use restroom. Very Happy

I can finish under 4 hours.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

What time would you run marathon in if.... Empty Re: What time would you run marathon in if....

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:06 pm

5min: change clothes, grab granola bars and gels, turn on Garmin.
5min: bathroom.
5min: drive to bottom of hill (500' elevation loss, no way to run a marathon up here without including one of those hills).

I could run a 3:45. 3:30 if I was motivated and felt good. 3:20 would be a stretch at this moment.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:10 pm

~ 4:30. I'd use the 15 minutes to go get my running stuff and put it on. I had a light breakfast, and I rested yesterday, and I'm pretty much recovered from my March 4 marathon, so i could run one easily, but not at my best, and I wouldn't push it.
Glenn
Glenn
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Great question - I would have to take the 15 use the bathroom, drink something, use the bathroom again, and then maybe stretch a little. If I just ate a big meal I would be in big trouble! If I had already done a run I probably wouldn't even look at a watch but just wing it at an easy pace. I would probably run easy anyway to test out the hip and I would drop at first sign of pain. If you would of asked me 4 months ago I would of said that I would expect 3:20-3:30 under that scenario. Now, probably something like 4-4:30.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:53 pm

5 hours and 23 minutes.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:55 pm

I'd use the 15 minutes to hit the head, load up on fuel and fluids and throw on some running gear.

And at this point, I'd probably finish somewhere in the 5s.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:07 pm

Well, I ran 21 this morning, so if I had to go again right now - probably 6 hrs. If I could have just added on the remaining miles this morning - 3:55-4 hrs.

As for the 15 min, change, bathroom, grab gels, water and fuel belt.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:47 pm

All the same stuff for the 15 minutes - I would guess in the 3:15-3:20 range.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:31 am

since I am not training for a marathon right now...probably a very uncomfortable 5 hours.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:06 am

Considering I just ran 18 miles and now reading this I'd say probably 4 to 5 hours. or 3:30 3:40 adding on 8 more miles.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:26 pm

I just got done with an 8 mile progressive run, so I'm a bit tired. I'm in marathon training right now, with my longest recent long run at 16 miles. My running clothes are nearby. I guess I would get dressed and grab some gels, then head out and go nice and slow (when I already am naturally show) and maybe do some run walk during it. I'll put myself at around 6-6:30 hours.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:46 pm

I just ran an easy 4.5. I've still got my running clothes on and I'm ready to go. But it's 75 degrees outside -- not so good for marathoning.

I'd use the 15 minutes to rest, eat some carbs, and drink some water. Then I'd go out and finish in about 4 hours.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:21 pm

I just ate but not too much and I'm not too wiped since my long run is tomorrow. I'd do it at something around 7:15-7:30 pace. Maybe something around 3:15 or so if I could avoid bathroom stops, 3:20+ if I had some issues .
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:36 pm

uhhh, a long time. Probably 5-6 hours since I just ran 31 miles today on the Ice Age Trail. gnarly, hilly - 2 face plants and 2 rolled ankles. good times! I'd rather watch Syracuse plau in 25 minutes and drink my wine Smile
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:15 pm

wrichman wrote:uhhh, a long time. Probably 5-6 hours since I just ran 31 miles today on the Ice Age Trail. gnarly, hilly - 2 face plants and 2 rolled ankles. good times! I'd rather watch Syracuse plau in 25 minutes and drink my wine Smile

Ran a trail twice == total faceplants equals 7 plus two cracked ribs. Good Times!! -- like that Very Happy
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:24 am

I am on Jeff's team - an uncomfortable 5 hours or so would be looming ahead and my tendonitis might stop me completely - Embarassed sooner than later.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:37 am

wrichman wrote:uhhh, a long time. Probably 5-6 hours since I just ran 31 miles today on the Ice Age Trail. gnarly, hilly - 2 face plants and 2 rolled ankles. good times! I'd rather watch Syracuse plau in 25 minutes and drink my wine Smile
Watch them lose to the mighty Buckeyes! Sorry, couldn't restrain my enthusiasm! Good game though, with bad officiating both sides.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:42 pm

fostever wrote:
Watch them lose to the mighty Buckeyes! Sorry, couldn't restrain my enthusiasm! Good game though, with bad officiating both sides.

I know! the amount of "fouls" were insane.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:38 pm

I think I could run a sub-3 on any given day. That's on the slow end of my long run pace so I don't see why not.

But that's not your question. Your question depends very heavily on whether or not I've run yet today. Given that I just hammered a hard tempo less than an hour ago, I think even finishing would be tough, since that'd put me at over 38 miles for the day.

Bad timing to answer, I guess.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:45 pm

2:02 with tailwind of course.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:56 am

I would hit up Fleet Feet for GUs and other fuels and then hit the rest room...a few times Smile

I could do one under 3:45, right now...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down