365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painful Bump on Knee

+2
ounce
Vivian
6 posters

Go down

Painful Bump on Knee Empty Painful Bump on Knee

Post  Vivian Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:30 am

On Apr. 1, I took a bad spill during a trail run and hurt my knee. It was swollen, bruised and had a deep cut. I went to an orthopedic surgeon and had it x-rayed and he found no fracture and no torn tendons. The swelling has gone away and I can walk a lot better than I had been, but I still have pain on a nickel-sized area on my knee cap, right where the worst of the cut was. There is a firm bump and every time I flex my knee beyond a certain point, it is painful (like a too tight rubberband). Anybody have any experience with this type of thing? I tried running on it a couple of days ago and only made it a quarter mile.
Vivian
Vivian

Back to top Go down

Painful Bump on Knee Empty Re: Painful Bump on Knee

Post  ounce Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:35 am

I'd say it's where the tissue has the most area to repair, including nerve endings. Since it's in a high movement area, I'd give it some time to heal by just running to the point of mild discomfort.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:18 am

The lump sounds like it could be scar tissue formation, which explains the tight rubberband like sensation. It should slowly let up over time. I would gently try to stretch the area or massage it lightly around the area to loosen up the tissue. If you are too aggressive, it might aggravate the area so be careful of course. Listen to your body is a good rule of thumb. Eventually it will heal; perhaps not quickly enough, but it will do so.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:47 am

jon c wrote:The lump sounds like it could be scar tissue formation, which explains the tight rubberband like sensation. It should slowly let up over time. I would gently try to stretch the area or massage it lightly around the area to loosen up the tissue. If you are too aggressive, it might aggravate the area so be careful of course. Listen to your body is a good rule of thumb. Eventually it will heal; perhaps not quickly enough, but it will do so.

That's exactly what I thought and what I would recommend as well. It should loosen up the more you work it, but don't be surprised if it's a little painful as you try to get it to loosen up.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:20 am

I'm not positive that she'd recommend it on the knee, but this is usually where Wendy Miller chimes in with "Graston it." Paging Wendy, paging Wendy...
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Vivian Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:57 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:I'm not positive that she'd recommend it on the knee, but this is usually where Wendy Miller chimes in with "Graston it." Paging Wendy, paging Wendy...

I have a high pain tolerance when it comes to the muscle or IT Band, but I can't imagine Graston right on the knee cap--all bone. I will try running today and see if it loosens up.
Vivian
Vivian

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Rather than Wendy's "graston", you might be able to use a foam roller, or stick, or even rolling pin to massage the area and see if the tissue "loosens" up if it is a knot. A self-massage approach since it is the knee cap.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down