365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

running post injury

+3
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
John Kilpatrick
7 posters

Go down

running post injury Empty running post injury

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:55 am

Does this (http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml) seem reasonable (plan as follows) for returning to running? I hear all the time don't push it and listen to your body, but what if you are sort of deaf and can't hear too well? Any other ideas? This seems awfully conservative, but maybe that is a good thing.

If you want to do more, say long runs in the 2-3 hour range but the plan calls for say, 50 minutes, can you make up the rest of the time on a stair stepper/elliptical/cycling? Thanks!

[img]running post injury Return11[/img]

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

running post injury Empty Re: running post injury

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:08 am

Be awfully conservative. No reason to do a 2-3hr long run this early in your training, anyway. It takes a long time for the ligaments and tendons to remember how this running thing works. Don't overdo it (I damn nearly threw my knee again leading up to Boston after it'd been fine for 3 months).
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:38 pm

All I can say is that I will know if you have done a 2-3 hr run in the next 7 wks, and I will personally come down there and whip your butt. DO.NOT.RUSH.THIS.RECOVERY.THING. DO.YOU.WISH.TO.BE.HERE.AGAIN. Ok, it wasn't until I really put that in practice that I seemed to put the stupid niggly things and bigger injuries behind me, and now I have been relatively injury free since since Fall, 2009. Now I have had my days, but in looking at my log, I have not missed more than 2 days in a row due to injury since then.

Please be smart as there is no need to rush.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:30 pm

I was out for many many weeks with AT injury came back created my own 18 week program and I was flying high again with new PR's. It did not incorporate any walking but low low mileage at the start. If interested PM your email ill send you what i used!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:18 pm

The two times I came back from injury I used a run/walk routine. As my fitness returned I lengthened the running and shortened the walking. Built up to 5 miles 6 days a week then started a training program.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:10 pm

Dave Wolfe wrote:The two times I came back from injury I used a run/walk routine. As my fitness returned I lengthened the running and shortened the walking. Built up to 5 miles 6 days a week then started a training program.

I did a similar thing after injuries - Once I can run I am pretty aggressive with my return to running, but if it hurts AT ALL then I stop. I'd also stay away from any speed/tempo runs until you are running comfortably at a decent mow for 3-4 weeks.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:53 pm

wrichman wrote:
Dave Wolfe wrote:The two times I came back from injury I used a run/walk routine. As my fitness returned I lengthened the running and shortened the walking. Built up to 5 miles 6 days a week then started a training program.

I did a similar thing after injuries - Once I can run I am pretty aggressive with my return to running, but if it hurts AT ALL then I stop. I'd also stay away from any speed/tempo runs until you are running comfortably at a decent mow for 3-4 weeks.

Agree! However, if it is healed it is healed. There is no gray area IMO.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:07 pm

I don't think that there is a good boilerplate plan for coming off an injury. Each case is different enough that it should warrant a lot of 'tweaking' based on subjective feedback. Run a little easy... don't push it... see how it feels the next day. Rest and repeat. If you find you feel good after a few easy runs, then run a little more, but keep it easy. Don't do any higher intensity stuff until you know you are 100%.

My $0.02...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down