365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IL Half Marathon (run as a training run)

+12
Jerry
John Kilpatrick
Mark B
Dave-O
fostever
Kenny B.
dot520
Michele "1L" Keane
Jeff F
Alex Kubacki
mul21
carleenp
16 posters

Go down

IL Half Marathon (run as a training run) Empty IL Half Marathon (run as a training run)

Post  carleenp Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:49 pm

I ran the IL half as a training run for my upcoming marathon in 4 weeks (Traverse City Bayshore). I enjoyed meeting Jim, Jeff, and Kenny at Biaggis the night before the race, although the restaurant wasn't prepared for the heavy traffic and took forever getting our food, resulting in a comped meal. Weather for the race turned out OK for me. Not too much wind on the course for the half, but as Kenny's race report reflects, it was windy on the full course, and it was windy around the stadium after I finished.

I planned to run this at a 10:15-10:30 pace run for my marathon training, since I am planning on going for a 4:30 or 4:35 marathon (still deciding on which). I figured that with my legs still tired from my 20 mile long run last week, that how I felt after a half at planned marathon pace could be telling. I lined up behind the 4:30 marathon pace group and told myself that I wasn't allow to pass them to ensure that I didn't suddenly decide to race it (a mistake I made last year where I got a nice PR, but then was too beat up for my marathon).

I stuck loosely with the pace group until I accidentally passed them at the mile 7 aid station. But I stayed generally on pace and they caught back up with me around mile 11. I felt good the entire run. Never felt like my heart rate was getting up and, although my legs felt a bit tired or sore the whole race, I felt I easily could have kept going for quite some time. I finished at 2:14:11, which is a 10:15 pace. I didn't feel worn out at all, and just had the normal soreness I get from a harder training run. I feel rather good today, even better than normal for the day after a harder run for me!

I did get very chilled after the race though. The race had ran out of space blankets even by my finish time and I noted that there were likely going to be a lot on marathoners unhappy about that (edit/update: apparently they were hidden in the medical area, so people just were not finding them). The wind then picked up and I got cold while looking for family and friends. I went against the rules and took a very hot shower and then sat in the hot tub when I got back just to get warm. I don't seem to be suffering for that at all today though. I went out with friends afterward and we walked around campus and visited a few college bars, which is always interesting. Overall, it was a good weekend.

So, now I get to decide whether to go for a 4:30 marathon (10:18 pace) or stick with my older 4:35 goal (10:30 pace). I have had a lot of good pace runs in the 10:10-10:15 pace range and my last all out race time (an 8k in march) predicted 4:27:15 in McMillian, so I might go for the 4:30. The thing that holds me back is that it would be a pretty decent PR jump for me (My current PR is 4:46:05) and I do tend to fade about mile 20-22, but I think I might fade the same regardless of which pace I aim for if that happens. Still pondering it....
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

IL Half Marathon (run as a training run) Empty Re: IL Half Marathon (run as a training run)

Post  mul21 Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:11 pm

If you felt as good as you say you did at that pace yesterday, I say go for 4:30. I went from a 3:31:45 in fall 2010 to a 3:16:43 in spring 2011, so it's certainly doable.

Nice meeting your crew as well! And I couldn't come up with the guy's name at dinner, but your friend's husband looks like this guy.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

IL Half Marathon (run as a training run) Empty Re: IL Half Marathon (run as a training run)

Post  Alex Kubacki Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Great job. See you at Bayshore.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:27 pm

Carleen, it was great meeting you, your husband and your friends. I know dinner was a little long but I enjoyed the time visiting with everyone. Nice run, I agree with Jim you should go for the 4:30, the only way you will find out is to go for it. Did you guys check out Black Dog on Saturday or Sunday? Where did you go?
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:34 pm

Jeff F wrote:Carleen, it was great meeting you, your husband and your friends. I know dinner was a little long but I enjoyed the time visiting with everyone. Nice run, I agree with Jim you should go for the 4:30, the only way you will find out is to go for it. Did you guys check out Black Dog on Saturday or Sunday? Where did you go?

We ended up eating dinner at Destihl since they were able to give us a reservation for 8 people. Then we went to Kams bar to relive some old college days. That was a rather interesting experience, given the sticky floor, bad beer, and young people mingling with older runners at the college bar. We overheard one kid ask another "why are there so many old people around?" LOL! We got back to the hotel by 10:30pm though, just when the college kids were starting to show up more. Before that, I think runners out numbered students at the bar. We are definitely going to check out Black Dog next time we are driving through the area!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Nice run Carleen. You sound ready to go for Bayshore. My advice would be to start at the 4:35 pace and then pick it up - bet you'll surprise yourself doing that.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Great restraint on keeping your head and running the speed you needed to this weekend. Congratulations.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Some really good running! You are ready for Bayshore no doubt! Nice meeting you and your crew!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:06 pm

Good job hitting right on your predicted goal pace and executing well. Nice running, Carleen!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Seems like you're on track for a 4:30 to me...
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:45 pm

Nicely done! You're on track for a good race at Bayshore.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Good job Carleen. Not to give advice, but if it was me, I would go for the 4:30. It isn't like it is an unreasonable goal, but either way you are looking good upcoming.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue May 01, 2012 10:42 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:Good job Carleen. Not to give advice, but if it was me, I would go for the 4:30. It isn't like it is an unreasonable goal, but either way you are looking good upcoming.

Trust me, I need all the advice that I can get!!!

I'm leaning for going for 4:30, or more likely in between, because I will probably start at the slower pace and then pick it up after a few miles.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue May 01, 2012 11:00 am

Go for 4:30!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Guess we'll have to wait for Taper Madness and the weather report. Good enough weather would be worth 5 minutes.

Good luck with it!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed May 02, 2012 8:00 pm

This is great to read how good you felt in this race, I would have to agree with everyone else 4:30!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Thu May 03, 2012 11:01 am

I think a 4:30 pace will be the plan with the first mile or two slower if I can force myself to do it. I did end up more sore than usual this week. DOMS hit me late. I got a massage yesterday though and things are loosening up. I also booked a massage for next week to help me recover from my last long run before the taper. Heck I might book one for early race week too!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri May 04, 2012 4:37 pm

Very nice effort and training run!
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Wed May 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Great job! I like your self-discipline in staying behind the 4:30 group so you didn't overdo it. I vote for the 4:30 goal!
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down