365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Thread - May 4, 2012

+8
Nick Morris
Mrs. Schuey
Chris M
Mark B
Admin
Julie
Jerry
Mike MacLellan
12 posters

Go down

Friday Thread - May 4, 2012 Empty Friday Thread - May 4, 2012

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri May 04, 2012 10:47 am

Kind of a grab-bag today with a slightly summery theme. Because it's 52 degrees out right now, and 52 degrees = summer.

1. Is it summer yet where you are?
1a. What does summer entail in your part of the woods? Heat? Humidity? Feel free to complain now.

2. In how many different languages can you say summer?

3. You're going camping (out of a car, not backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity unlimited). What is it?
3a. You're going camping (backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity limited). What is it?

4. Speaking of camping, can you navigate with a compass and map? How about just the map? This can apply to vehicular navigation, too.

5. Speaking of maps, do you generally map new running routes before doing them? What if you're in a new area?

6. Speaking of new areas, any summer plans to visit a new destination?
6a. Is it the journey or the destination?

7. Which is tougher: RAAM or the Tour de France?
7a. Which is tougher: A 100-mile race (Western States, Leadville, Badwater [okay, it's 135, so what?]) or running across the country in one go (a la Karnazes)?

8. Did you read the NYTimes winning essay on the ethics of eating meat?
8a. Have you ever written an award-winning essay/paper? Been published? How about for photos/film/whatever?

9. If you had unlimited resources and time and logistical ability but had to use it to do something for the collective human race - not helping everyone individually - what would you do and why? (After a few posts, I'll share my father's answer for this, since I thought it was pretty good.)

10. If you could teach one person one thing, who, what, and why?

11. "Overall, I think the world has become more __________ in the last two decades." Fill in the blank. Feel free to toy with the syntax to make your descriptor fit.

12. Math/science or English?

13. You have the chance to start a new career in any field and any position you want. What do you do and what's your job title? Money isn't an issue.

14. Adulthood: age or relative milestone? How old or at what point in life?

15. Post a recommendation for a book, movie, restaurant, recipe, vacation place, type of run, whatever - ANYTHING - for the person above. Person above, try to do it, if within your means.

Happy happy, all.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread - May 4, 2012 Empty Re: Friday Thread - May 4, 2012

Post  Jerry Fri May 04, 2012 11:07 am

Kind of a grab-bag today with a slightly summery theme. Because it's 52 degrees out right now, and 52 degrees = summer.

1. Is it summer yet where you are? Not yet in Texas standard.
1a. What does summer entail in your part of the woods? Heat? Humidity? Feel free to complain now.

Heat. I don't feel humidity well. Maybe a good thing?

Jerry may be lazy from time to time. Jerry doesn't whine.

English and Chinese.

3. You're going camping (out of a car, not backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity unlimited). What is it? Beer, cause I don't like camping and would rather get drunk.
3a. You're going camping (backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity limited). What is it?

Not sure what a backpacking really is. If there is a chance to get lost, Jerry will. So Jerry will stick to water, especially the quantity is limited.

4. Speaking of camping, can you navigate with a compass and map? How about just the map? This can apply to vehicular navigation, too.

Jerry will get lost regardless.

5. Speaking of maps, do you generally map new running routes before doing them? What if you're in a new area?

No. In new area, Jerry stay with the TM.

6. Speaking of new areas, any summer plans to visit a new destination? No. We are relocating south for 20 miles. Does that count?

7. Which is tougher: RAAM or the Tour de France? No idea.
7a. Which is tougher: A 100-mile race (Western States, Leadville, Badwater [okay, it's 135, so what?]) or running across the country in one go (a la Karnazes)?

Why does someone do either?

8. Did you read the NYTimes winning essay on the ethics of eating meat? No.
8a. Have you ever written an award-winning essay/paper? Been published? How about for photos/film/whatever?

No.

9. If you had unlimited resources and time and logistical ability but had to use it to do something for the collective human race - not helping everyone individually - what would you do and why? (After a few posts, I'll share my father's answer for this, since I thought it was pretty good.)

I would mandate Americans to call soccer football.

My wife to listen to me.

11. "Overall, I think the world has become more __open________ in the last two decades." Fill in the blank. Feel free to toy with the syntax to make your descriptor fit.

Soccer, oh no, football.

13. You have the chance to start a new career in any field and any position you want. What do you do and what's your job title? Money isn't an issue.

Pro footballer or soccer player.

Deep mid life crisis.

15. Post a recommendation for a book, movie, restaurant, recipe, vacation place, type of run, whatever - ANYTHING - for the person above. Person above, try to do it, if within your means.

Play sports with your kids.

Correction: for Mike, try to have kids tonight.

Happy happy, all.

Last edited by Jerry on Fri May 04, 2012 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri May 04, 2012 11:45 am

1. Is it summer yet where you are? Sure seems like it some days and then some days not.

We live in a C Climate and really get both heat and humidity

3. You're going camping (out of a car, not backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity unlimited). What is it?

Ice water

Ice water

I'm terrible with maps, my husband helps with that.

No I just try to go out and back so I don't get lost

6. Speaking of new areas, any summer plans to visit a new destination? Well, September going to CA (I've been to CA but the desert part, not the bay area)

Both

7. Which is tougher: RAAM or the Tour de France? Not sure

7a. Which is tougher: A 100-mile race (Western States, Leadville, Badwater [okay, it's 135, so what?]) or running across the country in one go (a la Karnazes)? I'm not sure, but I imagine most people don't have the time or budget to run across the country

8. Did you read the NYTimes winning essay on the ethics of eating meat? no

I've been published for a bunch of stuff, but a lot of small magazines (like, thank you for this scholarship, photos of my rabbits in small rabbit magazines) I've been on TV talking about my toddler and breastfeeding (yeah just what you all want to hear about but it is how babies/toddlers are normally fed).

There are so many needs but I do strongly believe everyone's greatest need is for a Savior so it would involve something regarding sharing the good news of salvation available in Jesus.

I need to learn patience (well, more of it) and if I could teach it maybe it meant I had learned it

11. "Overall, I think the world has become more __________ in the last two decades." Fill in the blank. Feel free to toy with the syntax to make your descriptor fit.

depraved

Math and English, but if I had to choose just English. I love all languages.

I'd love to have a non-profit organization helping families with budgets especially those who want to have a stay at home parents (actually I'm in the middle of training to be a volunteer budget coach right now so it's not that far off).

14. Adulthood: age or relative milestone? How old or at what point in life?'

Relative...when you learn enough and get independent, it sure isn't 18 or 19 for everyone.

For Jerry? He says he doesn't train, how about Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzginer?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri May 04, 2012 11:53 am

--Still Spring

--Heat. Sometimes oppressive heat. Sometimes humidity.

--One

--Water

--Jack Daniels

--Of course

--Never

--Nope.

--Yes?

--Chuck Norris

--Chuck Norris

--Don't read NYTimes

--Published in Stars & Stripes and Marathon Maniacs newsletter

--Sustainable, economical, and environmentally friendly production of energy, food, and fresh water.

--Myself, the ability to teach, so I could teach others.

--Commercial

--I'll take Literature for $100, Alex.

--I'd start a company named Facebook and be it's CEO.

--Legally, philosophically, or psychologically?

--Read this: Of Self-Identity by David Hume

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri May 04, 2012 12:04 pm

1. Is it summer yet where you are? Ha-ha-ha-ha! Are you kidding? Summer doesn't start here until well after July 4.
1a. What does summer entail in your part of the woods? Heat? Humidity? Feel free to complain now. Lack of rain. Moss dries out.

2. In how many different languages can you say summer? Two. (English and Thai)

3. You're going camping (out of a car, not backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity unlimited). What is it? Water.
3a. You're going camping (backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity limited). What is it? Water.

4. Speaking of camping, can you navigate with a compass and map? How about just the map? This can apply to vehicular navigation, too. I could manage, though I'm far from expert.

5. Speaking of maps, do you generally map new running routes before doing them? What if you're in a new area? I'm just as likely to map it afterwards. There's some adventure in getting lost.

6. Speaking of new areas, any summer plans to visit a new destination? Yes. Colorado.
6a. Is it the journey or the destination? Journey.

7. Which is tougher: RAAM or the Tour de France? Race Across America.
7a. Which is tougher: A 100-mile race (Western States, Leadville, Badwater [okay, it's 135, so what?]) or running across the country in one go (a la Karnazes)? 100-mile races, because they're races.

8. Did you read the NYTimes winning essay on the ethics of eating meat? No.
8a. Have you ever written an award-winning essay/paper? Been published? How about for photos/film/whatever? Yes, yes, yes. But I'd not be employed in the career I have if I hadn't, so this question is kind of a gimmie.

9. If you had unlimited resources and time and logistical ability but had to use it to do something for the collective human race - not helping everyone individually - what would you do and why? Collect and publish the stories (and photos) of every person on the planet. Everybody has a story, but only a few get to share them.

10. If you could teach one person one thing, who, what, and why? I'd like to teach my son to be himself, but not selfishly so.

11. "Overall, I think the world has become more fluid in the last two decades." Fill in the blank. Feel free to toy with the syntax to make your descriptor fit.

12. Math/science or English? English by choice, science by interest.

13. You have the chance to start a new career in any field and any position you want. What do you do and what's your job title? Money isn't an issue. I've always been interested in health/medicine, so maybe there. But I'd probably just end up a journalist again. Very Happy

14. Adulthood: age or relative milestone? How old or at what point in life? Adulthood is more a subtle transition than a milestone or age. You wake up one day and go "Holy crap! When did that happen?" FWIW, I've seen 11-year-olds who are more "adult" than their middle-aged parents.

15. Post a recommendation for a book, movie, restaurant, recipe, vacation place, type of run, whatever - ANYTHING - for the person above. Person above, try to do it, if within your means. Run with your kids.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri May 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Summer is almost here. It is in the 80s now but not beastly humid yet. DC in sticky days of Summer sucks.

I was going to say 2 because I took German for years but I can't even remember the word now so I'm stuck at 1!

Either way, I'm going to go with Diet Mountain Dew. Sure, there are some nice beers or wines I'd like to have along but if it can only be one type of drink, I gotta have my caffeine!

I'm good with a map. Have no idea how to work a compass and just let the little dial spin around and say "cooool" as I watch it.

I get a recommendation from someone if I'm running somewhere new or look up a running path on the web. I don't design or plot out routes on my own. I want someone else to have run it and say "yeah, that's a good place to run"

This Summer, we are being pretty boring. Just going to the Outer Banks which we do every year. We are going to Alaska next Summer and I've never been there.

I'm amazed by what they go through in Tour de France, particularly at that sustained intensity level.

A race, definitely.

Huh? No. But I'd like to have a burger right now.

I had a law review note published. Trying to think about anything else. Hmmm. Some interviews etc for work but nothing I wrote.

I like what the Gates Foundation is doing with its vaccinne and medicine program. I think pouring a ton more into that is money well spent.

I would teach my daughter how to keep all of life in balance because that's the best thing you can learn to do!

Amazing. In 1992, we were just at really the beginning of the Information Age. How things have accelerated since then has been incredible to watch and be a part of.

I was an English Lit major so that's an easy answer!

I always wanted to be the GM of the Red Sox. But I suspect that's a far harder and less fun job than I used to think it would be. Now I would like to sit on 3-4 Boards of Directors and have that be my only gig. Not very much work at all but the little work you do is only on the interesting stuff. It keeps you involved and interested but you are basically retired and with oodles of free time. Ah, that sounds soooo good.

I think once you work full-time for a living or start a family instead of being a student, you pass into adulthood. Different age for different people but that's a big milestone crossing over point.

Person above? Oh, you mean in this thread? I never read the other posts before I post mine. It taints my answers! So generic recommendations:

book - I'm enjoying the Game of Thrones books now
movie - just saw Memento again the other day on TV. That's a classic. See it if you haven't
restaurant - Inn at Little Washington in Virginia. Go there for a major major celebration
recipe - order take out!
vacation place - Maui
type of run - Garmin-less. Seriously. People should unplug more often and just run with only a vague concept of how long or fast they are running. Do it once a week and stop being so dependent on the devices. Even when running with the Garmin, don't look at it for an entire run.

Happy happy, all.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri May 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Julie wrote:

For Jerry? He says he doesn't train, how about Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzginer?

Jerry believes his first sub 3 was with the 24x70 program in AM. Very Happy
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Fri May 04, 2012 12:57 pm

1. Is it summer yet where you are? Not yet Sad
1a. What does summer entail in your part of the woods? Heat? Humidity? Feel free to complain now. It entails heat, humidity and hot wind...can't complain - rather have that than cold Smile

2. In how many different languages can you say summer? English, French and Spanish

3. You're going camping (out of a car, not backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity unlimited). What is it? Beer!
3a. You're going camping (backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity limited). What is it? Water.

4. Speaking of camping, can you navigate with a compass and map? How about just the map? This can apply to vehicular navigation, too. Hahahaha! No. In all seriousness, I am not a directions person. I am a "McDonald's on the left side of the road and turn right" type person. You take my landmark away, I'm screwed.

5. Speaking of maps, do you generally map new running routes before doing them? What if you're in a new area? I'll do so if I'm in a new area, but not typically.

6. Speaking of new areas, any summer plans to visit a new destination? No
6a. Is it the journey or the destination? N/A

7. Which is tougher: RAAM or the Tour de France? I'd say RAAM...you're done quicker going down those hills in the Tour.
7a. Which is tougher: A 100-mile race (Western States, Leadville, Badwater [okay, it's 135, so what?]) or running across the country in one go (a la Karnazes)? Each pose their own level of tough...however, I'll go with running across the country

8. Did you read the NYTimes winning essay on the ethics of eating meat? No, but meat is yummy! Along with potatoes and beer!
8a. Have you ever written an award-winning essay/paper? Been published? How about for photos/film/whatever? No

9. If you had unlimited resources and time and logistical ability but had to use it to do something for the collective human race - not helping everyone individually - what would you do and why? (After a few posts, I'll share my father's answer for this, since I thought it was pretty good.) Teach the world to sing..hahaha..kidding. I don't know.

10. If you could teach one person one thing, who, what, and why? Just one? Hmmmm...an arrogant person. I'd teach them how to be humble and to respect the opinions of others because no one likes holier-than-thou people.

11. "Overall, I think the world has become more overly politically correct in the last two decades." Fill in the blank. Feel free to toy with the syntax to make your descriptor fit.

12. Math/science or English? English

13. You have the chance to start a new career in any field and any position you want. What do you do and what's your job title? Money isn't an issue. Beach bum who won the lottery Very Happy bounce

14. Adulthood: age or relative milestone? How old or at what point in life? State of mind. 120 years old

A 50 Mile Race
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri May 04, 2012 2:45 pm

1. Is it summer yet where you are? Ha...what is summer?
1a. What does summer entail in your part of the woods? Heat? Humidity? Feel free to complain now. Normally the two months that we have are hot and humid.

2. In how many different languages can you say summer? 1

You're going camping (out of a car, not backpacking) for a weekend and
can only bring one beverage (quantity unlimited). What is it? Water
3a. You're going camping (backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity limited). What is it? Water

Speaking of camping, can you navigate with a compass and map? How
about just the map? This can apply to vehicular navigation, too. Of course I can

5. Speaking of maps, do you generally map new running routes before doing them? What if you're in a new area? I will always map out new running routes when I am in a new area or business travel

6. Speaking of new areas, any summer plans to visit a new destination? No

7. Which is tougher: RAAM or the Tour de France? Tour
7a.
Which is tougher: A 100-mile race (Western States, Leadville, Badwater
[okay, it's 135, so what?]) or running across the country in one go (a
la Karnazes)? 100 mile race

8. Did you read the NYTimes winning essay on the ethics of eating meat? No
8a. Have you ever written an award-winning essay/paper? Been published? How about for photos/film/whatever? No

If you had unlimited resources and time and logistical ability but had
to use it to do something for the collective human race - not helping
everyone individually - what would you do and why? (After a few posts,
I'll share my father's answer for this, since I thought it was pretty
good.) Teach everyone how to use sustainable resources

10. If you could teach one person one thing, who, what, and why? Not sure

"Overall, I think the world has become more _Consuming_ in the last two
decades." Fill in the blank. Feel free to toy with the syntax to make
your descriptor fit.

12. Math/science or English? Math

You have the chance to start a new career in any field and any position
you want. What do you do and what's your job title? Money isn't an
issue. President of Getting Paid a Boatload of Money to do Jack Shit Friday Thread - May 4, 2012 2472758156

14. Adulthood: age or relative milestone? How old or at what point in life? 25, I finally realized that it was time to be responsible

Post a recommendation for a book, movie, restaurant, recipe, vacation
place, type of run, whatever - ANYTHING - for the person above. Person
above, try to do it, if within your means. Check out the movie The Adjustment Bureau
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri May 04, 2012 3:28 pm

1. Is it summer yet where you are? YES!!!! And 52 degrees is winter this year.
1a. What does summer entail in your part of the woods? Heat? Humidity? Feel free to complain now. Heat and humidity in Atlanta, but it is the same in NW NY state and NE Ohio where I will be soon. It just lasts a shorter time.

2. In how many different languages can you say summer? Two - french and english. I can spell it in ASL - aren't you proud of me?

3. You're going camping (out of a car, not backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity unlimited). What is it? I don't camp, so I have no idea, but probably water.
3a. You're going camping (backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity limited). What is it? Definitely water, but it should be alcoholic because I must be nuts to be doing this.

4. Speaking of camping, can you navigate with a compass and map? How about just the map? This can apply to vehicular navigation, too. Yes and yes.

5. Speaking of maps, do you generally map new running routes before doing them? What if you're in a new area? That depends on how well I know the area. If it is new, then I most definitely look at the map first. Now, I never carry one and just go by instinct when I'm out there.

6. Speaking of new areas, any summer plans to visit a new destination? Not unless you count taking my daughter to college.
6a. Is it the journey or the destination? Journey for her.

7. Which is tougher: RAAM or the Tour de France? TDF
7a. Which is tougher: A 100-mile race (Western States, Leadville, Badwater [okay, it's 135, so what?]) or running across the country in one go (a la Karnazes)? 100-mile Race, since it is a race.

8. Did you read the NYTimes winning essay on the ethics of eating meat? Nope.
8a. Have you ever written an award-winning essay/paper? No Been published? Yes How about for photos/film/whatever? No

9. If you had unlimited resources and time and logistical ability but had to use it to do something for the collective human race - not helping everyone individually - what would you do and why? (After a few posts, I'll share my father's answer for this, since I thought it was pretty good.) Use my knowledge and work on the water problem in the entire world

10. If you could teach one person one thing, who, what, and why? My daughter to be responsible because as my parent, it is my job.

11. "Overall, I think the world has become more __________ in the last two decades." Fill in the blank. Feel free to toy with the syntax to make your descriptor fit. SELFISH

12. Math/science or English? Math/science

13. You have the chance to start a new career in any field and any position you want. What do you do and what's your job title? Money isn't an issue. Not sure would have to really give this some thought.

14. Adulthood: age or relative milestone? How old or at what point in life? Milestone - reached when you have become responsible for yourself and others and you are mastering it

15. Post a recommendation for a book, movie, restaurant, recipe, vacation place, type of run, whatever - ANYTHING - for the person above. Person above, try to do it, if within your means. Run a destination race - think it would be fun for you.

Happy happy, all.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Fri May 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Kind of a grab-bag today with a slightly summery theme. Because it's 52 degrees out right now, and 52 degrees = summer.

I'm in Florida. It's always hot here. And it doesn't rain. Just ask my lawn.

Summer. Done.
3. You're going camping (out of a car, not backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity unlimited). What is it? Beer. Is this a trick question?
I fail to see the difference.
4. Speaking of camping, can you navigate with a compass and map? How about just the map? This can apply to vehicular navigation, too. Probably

No
6. Speaking of new areas, any summer plans to visit a new destination? I wish. Our major vacations were done by the end of March.
6a. Is it the journey or the destination? Yes

7. Which is tougher: RAAM or the Tour de France? Yes
7a. Which is tougher: A 100-mile race (Western States, Leadville, Badwater [okay, it's 135, so what?]) or running across the country in one go (a la Karnazes)? Race

8. Did you read the NYTimes winning essay on the ethics of eating meat? No

9. If you had unlimited resources and time and logistical ability but had to use it to do something for the collective human race - not helping everyone individually - what would you do and why? (After a few posts, I'll share my father's answer for this, since I thought it was pretty good.) I would dedicate my life to shutting down WalMart

10. If you could teach one person one thing, who, what, and why? I would teach my kids toughness. And I'm working on it.

11. "Overall, I think the world has become more __________ in the last two decades." Fill in the blank. Feel free to toy with the syntax to make your descriptor fit. Competitive

12. Math/science or English? Math

13. You have the chance to start a new career in any field and any position you want. What do you do and what's your job title? Money isn't an issue. Scout college football talent for the NFL

14. Adulthood: age or relative milestone? How old or at what point in life? I may be too stupid for this quiz

Man, I have tons of these but I'll make it something easy to accomplish. Actually, two movies - The Station Agent (2003) with Peter Dinklage and Patricia Clarkson, and The Man on the Train (2002) with Johnny Halladay and Jean Rochefort (French)

Happy happy, all.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri May 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:

15. Post a recommendation for a book, movie, restaurant, recipe, vacation place, type of run, whatever - ANYTHING - for the person above. Person above, try to do it, if within your means. Run a destination race - think it would be fun for you.

Happy happy, all.

Done. Heading to Canada in November cheers cheers
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Fri May 04, 2012 10:43 pm

heat and humidity - not quite yet...mid June. I love it though - I love sweat-tastic runs!

2. In how many different languages can you say summer? 2 - English and Teacher (Freedom!) don't teach anymore though

3. You're going camping (out of a car, not backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity unlimited). What is it? ugh, I dislike camping - bugs, cold, not my warm, cozy bed. Weirdly, I'm not high maintenance except for when I sleep. oh, the original question - I suppose some white wine to deal with it Very Happy
3a. You're going camping (backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity limited). What is it? water

4. Speaking of camping, can you navigate with a compass and map? How about just the map? This can apply to vehicular navigation, too. My husband calls me a human GPS. I have a knack for knowing when N, S, E, and W is at all times, and can usually figure out where to go based on my instinct. Apparently when I was 3 my grandmother was visiting, and I told her how to get to McDonald's. I don't know what this says about my sense of direction or my family's McDonald's use.

5. Speaking of maps, do you generally map new running routes before doing them? What if you're in a new area? I love to just go explore - my favorite thing to do as soon as I arrive in a new place is explore it during a run. I will map out a planned long run to make sure I get the distance in though.

6. Speaking of new areas, any summer plans to visit a new destination? Bar Harbor, ME for our 5 year Anniversary. We got married there. I'll visit the fam in Virginia as well.
6a. Is it the journey or the destination? Depends on where you're going.

7. Which is tougher: RAAM or the Tour de France? I've never done either, so I can't say.
7a. Which is tougher: A 100-mile race (Western States, Leadville, Badwater [okay, it's 135, so what?]) or running across the country in one go (a la Karnazes)? Again, how am I to know? Maybe someday I'll be able to tell you.

8. Did you read the NYTimes winning essay on the ethics of eating meat? no
8a. Have you ever written an award-winning essay/paper? Been published? How about for photos/film/whatever? No. I've been in the process of writing a children's book for a few years - I need to finish it!

9. If you had unlimited resources and time and logistical ability but had to use it to do something for the collective human race - not helping everyone individually - what would you do and why? (After a few posts, I'll share my father's answer for this, since I thought it was pretty good.) I'd have to think about that a bit more.

10. If you could teach one person one thing, who, what, and why? A non-verbal autistic child how to communicate his/her wants and needs. That would open up the world for the child and parents.

11. "Overall, I think the world has become more __________ in the last two decades." Fill in the blank. Feel free to toy with the syntax to make your descriptor fit. impatient

12. Math/science or English? gym

13. You have the chance to start a new career in any field and any position you want. What do you do and what's your job title? Money isn't an issue. work at Runners World. or be a sponsored pro-athlete (duh)

14. Adulthood: age or relative milestone? How old or at what point in life? I'm 31 and I still feel like I'm in my mid 20s, so my view is skewed.

can I do a few? run - Big Sur Marathon, in Queenstown, NZ on the trail surrounding the lake, across the Sydney Harbor bridge, do a 50 miler.

Happy happy, all.

Mike MacLellan

wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat May 05, 2012 2:52 pm

1. Is it summer yet where you are? Sort of. Summer = 90-100, now = 80-90.
1a. What does summer entail in your part of the woods? Heat? Humidity? Feel free to complain now. Hot. Windy now. Ugh.

2. In how many different languages can you say summer? I know that I know the word for it in Spanish, I just can't remember it. So 2(+1).

3. You're going camping (out of a car, not backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity unlimited). What is it? Jalapeno/ginger margaritas. Just discovered them. Amazing.
3a. You're going camping (backpacking) for a weekend and can only bring one beverage (quantity limited). What is it? Either a 10-14% abv stout or a bold red wine. ~1L of either. Because with a water filter/iodine pills, you can collect your own.

4. Speaking of camping, can you navigate with a compass and map? How about just the map? This can apply to vehicular navigation, too. Map, yes. Compass, no. General sense of where I am, yes.

5. Speaking of maps, do you generally map new running routes before doing them? What if you're in a new area? Yep. Yep.

6. Speaking of new areas, any summer plans to visit a new destination? Big Sur in two weeks. Santa Rosa next weekend. Vegas at the beginning of August. California coast bike tour after that.
6a. Is it the journey or the destination? During the journey, the destination. Once arrived, the journey.

7. Which is tougher: RAAM or the Tour de France? RAAM. Sorry, but it is.
7a. Which is tougher: A 100-mile race (Western States, Leadville, Badwater [okay, it's 135, so what?]) or running across the country in one go (a la Karnazes)? The race.

8. Did you read the NYTimes winning essay on the ethics of eating meat? Yep.
8a. Have you ever written an award-winning essay/paper? Been published? How about for photos/film/whatever? Had a photo published in a book. Had some photos on an episode of Law and Order: SVU about 3 months ago.

9. If you had unlimited resources and time and logistical ability but had to use it to do something for the collective human race - not helping everyone individually - what would you do and why? (After a few posts, I'll share my father's answer for this, since I thought it was pretty good.) My father's: take everyone to the moon and have them look at the Earth in complete silence.

10. If you could teach one person one thing, who, what, and why? I'd teach my parents (hey, they're a single unit, ok?) to communicate with one another.

11. "Overall, I think the world has become more complicated in the last two decades." Fill in the blank. Feel free to toy with the syntax to make your descriptor fit.

12. Math/science or English? Natural inclination towards math/science but love to write.

13. You have the chance to start a new career in any field and any position you want. What do you do and what's your job title? Money isn't an issue. Open an eco-friendly bed and breakfast in either Basque country or Tuscany. Teach visitors to cook using stuff from the sustainable/organic garden/homestead on the property and take them on bike tours of the countryside.

14. Adulthood: age or relative milestone? How old or at what point in life? Milestone. Not there yet.

15. Post a recommendation for a book, movie, restaurant, recipe, vacation place, type of run, whatever - ANYTHING - for the person above. Person above, try to do it, if within your means. Hmmm... Rim to Rim to Rim. (I'm actually planning this for October 2013 if you happen to read it and it sparks interest...)

Happy happy, all.[/quote]
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat May 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Thanks Mike!

- No, it comes and goes. 80 degrees sometimes, 50 degrees other times. Another month or so.

- Heat mostly, sometimes humidity. I can't complain about it, the weather seems much more volatile now than ever.

- Just English

- Have to say water. It's pretty essential to daily life

- Still water

- I can navigate with both

In a new area, I try to do Google Earth ahead of time, or look on running boards. At a hotel, I'll ask for directions. It's fun to just run but in a strange area, it's usually not worth it as you may be only a mile from a cool trail but wouldn't come across it unless you looked.

- We just went to South Carolina for a week's beach vacation, that was a new area to visit

- It's the journey since the destination can be disappointing but you control the journey

I don't know but the Tour seems pretty tough when I've watched it

100 mile race. There's no pressure in Karnazes trip.

No, I have no issue eating meat, will have to google this and see what it's about.

Nada

This is tough.

- If I have to do the teaching, this does limit it.

connected

English

I would want to own my own business, in pretty much any area.

I really am enjoying this Hunger Games trilogy
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down