365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Thread - September 28, 2012 - Fall Edition

+8
Admin
Michele "1L" Keane
Mark B
John Kilpatrick
Chris M
Dave-O
mul21
Mike MacLellan
12 posters

Go down

Friday Thread - September 28, 2012 - Fall Edition Empty Friday Thread - September 28, 2012 - Fall Edition

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:31 am

So the autumnal equinox was last Saturday... But I didn't think to make a Friday thread the day before. Besides, that would've been jumping the gun, and I'd rather not jinx the onset of fall, since it's still in the 90s every day here. Gross.

Anyway...

fall (v.) - to drop or descend under the force of gravity, as to a lower place through loss or lack of support.
1. Any recent running-related falls?
2. Worst running-related fall?
3. Worst fall, period?
4. Would you fall from a bridge if the only thing attached to you was a bungee cord?
5. How about from a plane, if the only thing attached to you was a parachute?
6. Why do leaves fall?
7. Do you noticeably fall in love, or just kind of realize it happened one day?
8. Please describe the proper technique for falling backwards.
8a. How about out of a moving vehicle?
9. Is running really just controlled falling?
10. Does the word "fall" look funny yet? Fall.

fall (n.) - the season of the year that comes after summer and before winter; autumn.
1. Is it fall yet in your part of the world?
2. Have you had your first pumpkin-flavored treat (pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin bagel/cream cheese, pumpkin muffin, etc.) yet? If so, what was it?
3. Have any amazing winter squash/pumpkin recipes?
4. Do you even like pumpkins?
5. Why did I automatically go from fall to pumpkins?
6. Football is only worth watching when there's a nip in the air, right?
7. Speaking of football, go ahead and vent about the replacement refs.
8. Do you think the NHL season will go as planned, given the stalled salary talks?
9. When do the leaves typically change in your part of the world?
10. Is it nice to have the kids back in school? I know they've been there for a while, but when I was a kid, we started at the end of September, so there.
11. Do you notice that your running declines as fall approaches winter?
12. Do you prefer fall or spring racing?
13. Halloween. Make your argument. (For or against.)
14. Thanksgiving. Make your argument. (For or against.)
15. Favorite thing about fall that I haven't mentioned in this questionnaire?

Happy Friday, all.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread - September 28, 2012 - Fall Edition Empty Re: Friday Thread - September 28, 2012 - Fall Edition

Post  mul21 Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:49 am

fall (v.) - to drop or descend under the force of gravity, as to a lower place through loss or lack of support.
1. Any recent running-related falls? Nope
2. Worst running-related fall? A slightly twisted ankle, but never anything serious
3. Worst fall, period? A bike wipeout when I was probably 8 that I still have a scar on my knee from
4. Would you fall from a bridge if the only thing attached to you was a bungee cord? Definitely
5. How about from a plane, if the only thing attached to you was a parachute? Definitely
6. Why do leaves fall? Technically, it has everything to do with the number of hours of sunlight in a day.
7. Do you noticeably fall in love, or just kind of realize it happened one day? depends
8. Please describe the proper technique for falling backwards. Make sure someone is there to catch you?
8a. How about out of a moving vehicle? There is none.
9. Is running really just controlled falling? Only if you're doing it wrong!
10. Does the word "fall" look funny yet? Fall. Fell, fallen, falled, felled, felt?

fall (n.) - the season of the year that comes after summer and before winter; autumn.
1. Is it fall yet in your part of the world? Yes, and thank god! The only bad part is the dwindling daylight.
Have you had your first pumpkin-flavored treat (pumpkin spice latte,
pumpkin bagel/cream cheese, pumpkin muffin, etc.) yet? If so, what was
it? Yep, pumpkin beer!
3. Have any amazing winter squash/pumpkin recipes? Not really my area of expertise. Ask a meat question!
4. Do you even like pumpkins? Definitely
5. Why did I automatically go from fall to pumpkins? You're weird? Or normal?
6. Football is only worth watching when there's a nip in the air, right? While I'm in favor of naked ladies at sporting events, I'm thinking that's usually frowned upon.
7. Speaking of football, go ahead and vent about the replacement refs. I think they made a fantastic call to end the game in Seattle!
8. Do you think the NHL season will go as planned, given the stalled salary talks? Not a chance.
9. When do the leaves typically change in your part of the world? Late October, earlier this year due to drought.
Is it nice to have the kids back in school? I know they've been there
for a while, but when I was a kid, we started at the end of September,
so there. I wouldn't know about that yet.
11. Do you notice that your running declines as fall approaches winter? Depends on when my marathon is, but usually a little.
12. Do you prefer fall or spring racing? Fall
13. Halloween. Make your argument. (For or against.) It's fun, but I eat too much of the munchkin's candy!
14. Thanksgiving. Make your argument. (For or against.) If you don't like turkey, football and a 4 day weekend, I can't help you much! Oh, and the family stuff is nice too.
15. Favorite thing about fall that I haven't mentioned in this questionnaire? Cross country season!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread - September 28, 2012 - Fall Edition Empty Re: Friday Thread - September 28, 2012 - Fall Edition

Post  Dave-O Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:02 pm

1. Any recent running-related falls? I took a slight fall at Dances with Dirt last weekend.
2. Worst running-related fall? I can think of one on ice that left some bruising, but nothing serious
3. Worst fall, period? Not technically a fall, but I took a helmet to stomach hit in football that caused me to vomit on the field.
4. Would you fall from a bridge if the only thing attached to you was a bungee cord? Hell yes! I have bungeed from a crane and in Cancun, but never from a bridge.
5. How about from a plane, if the only thing attached to you was a parachute? Have done so 3 times, once solo.
6. Why do leaves fall? They die.
7. Do you noticeably fall in love, or just kind of realize it happened one day? Realized it happened one day after I had tried to break it off.
8. Please describe the proper technique for falling backwards. Onto a mattress.
8a. How about out of a moving vehicle? Roll baby roll
9. Is running really just controlled falling? No.
10. Does the word "fall" look funny yet? Fall. Fall.

1. Is it fall yet in your part of the world? Mostly, and it better stay that way dammit!
2. Have you had your first pumpkin-flavored treat (pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin bagel/cream cheese, pumpkin muffin, etc.) yet? If so, what was it? Yup, I've made the switch to Pumpkin Spiced coffee every morning.
3. Have any amazing winter squash/pumpkin recipes? I'm not so talented in the kitchen
4. Do you even like pumpkins? I do. And the seeds.
5. Why did I automatically go from fall to pumpkins? Because of Charlie Brown?
6. Football is only worth watching when there's a nip in the air, right? No. Football is always worth watching.
7. Speaking of football, go ahead and vent about the replacement refs. I've maintained all along they weren't as bad as people acted. The coaches and players acting like 3rd graders with a substitute teachers exacerbated the problem.
8. Do you think the NHL season will go as planned, given the stalled salary talks? Like last NBA season, which opened on Christmas Day, the NHL will begin with the Winter Classic on January 1.
9. When do the leaves typically change in your part of the world? Early October
10. Is it nice to have the kids back in school? I know they've been there for a while, but when I was a kid, we started at the end of September, so there. Its nice not to have teacher's complaining dominating facebook updates.
11. Do you notice that your running declines as fall approaches winter? Sometimes, though its usually a planned recovery period.
12. Do you prefer fall or spring racing? Prefer fall, but oddly, have had better results in spring.
13. Halloween. Make your argument. (For or against.) Halloween in Chicago is an absolute blast. The bars are a riot, everyone in a great mood, one of my favorite nights of the year.
14. Thanksgiving. Make your argument. (For or against.) Family, food, beer, football. Nuf said.
15. Favorite thing about fall that I haven't mentioned in this questionnaire? Hoodies.

Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:25 pm

So the autumnal equinox was last Saturday... But I didn't think to make a Friday thread the day before. Besides, that would've been jumping the gun, and I'd rather not jinx the onset of fall, since it's still in the 90s every day here. Gross.

Anyway...

1. Any recent running-related falls? I don't know how I didn't fall in a recent trail race but I've gone a decent amount of time now without a fall.

2. Worst running-related fall? Most painful one physically was one along the Potomac River where I got tripped up among some rocks and went down HARD with my hands breaking my fall. Still have a scar on my right palm from that and actually BROKE a handheld water bottle I was carrying in my left hand and that probably saved that hand from a couple of broken bones. Most emabrassing was right in front of a couple hundred people as I returned to a cruise ship in Malta and tried to navigate a 180 degree turn and slipped right on my butt. Only my pride hurt in that one.

3. Worst fall, period? When I was a little kid, this crazy old lady who was our next door neighbor fell off her exercise bike in her basement and accused me and my buddy Dave of having loosened the screws on her bike to cause it. She broke her hip and went to our parents and was threatening to go to the police claiming that two 8 year olds had broken into her house, messed around with her exercise equipment and set it up so that she would fall off. It was nuts. Hmm, I about to say that OF COURSE we didn't do it and had never been in her basement at all....but maybe I should call my buddy Dave and just confirm that he really didn't go do that all those years ago.....nah, I'm kidding....I know he didn't. Mrs. O'Reilly was just flat out nuts but it was scary having her pointing the finger at us as perps. The whole thing was crazy and it was a lot for kids to take on being accused of a serious crime that they did not commit.

4. Would you fall from a bridge if the only thing attached to you was a bungee cord? Up until I was 30-something, sure. Nowadays, NO WAY.

5. How about from a plane, if the only thing attached to you was a parachute? DITTO.

6. Why do leaves fall? They are dead. But what is dead may never die but rises again harder and stronger.

7. Do you noticeably fall in love, or just kind of realize it happened one day? If its real, it happens without you noticing it or meaning for it to happen. It just does happen.

8. Please describe the proper technique for falling backwards. Eliminate or supress fear. Rock back on your heels and let yourself go....

8a. How about out of a moving vehicle? Hit the ground rolling.

9. Is running really just controlled falling? No. Isn't that 'Chi Running'? It looks dumb to be leaning forward like that as you run. I have no idea what that concept is supposed to get at.

10. Does the word "fall" look funny yet? Fall. Winter is a cooler looking word.

1. Is it fall yet in your part of the world? Unfortunately, real Fall doesn't happen in DC. This is the time when I miss being in New England. Fall is a lame season around here.

2. Have you had your first pumpkin-flavored treat (pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin bagel/cream cheese, pumpkin muffin, etc.) yet? If so, what was it? Not yet.

3. Have any amazing winter squash/pumpkin recipes? Cooking? Pass.

4. Do you even like pumpkins? Not to eat. i like having them in front of the house as decoration, though.

5. Why did I automatically go from fall to pumpkins? tis the season.

6. Football is only worth watching when there's a nip in the air, right? The NFL is worth watching all the time.

7. Speaking of football, go ahead and vent about the replacement refs. It got really bad. I thought everyone was making too big a deal about it but it got really bad and I'm glad it ended. Imagine a Division II or II college QB being asked to take snaps this weekend for the Titans. That's what they were asking these refs to do and they were in WAY over their head.

8. Do you think the NHL season will go as planned, given the stalled salary talks? No. I think the NHL owners (through their own fault) don't make enough money and there's not a compelling enough reason for them to end the strike.

9. When do the leaves typically change in your part of the world? Eh, its all kind of vague around here. October sometime but its hardly what I would call real folliage.

10. Is it nice to have the kids back in school? I know they've been there for a while, but when I was a kid, we started at the end of September, so there. Yes, she had a great Summer but she does love school and is happy to be back.

11. Do you notice that your running declines as fall approaches winter? No way. I love running in the cooler weather.

12. Do you prefer fall or spring racing? i prefer Fall racing.

13. Halloween. Make your argument. (For or against.) A night devoted to candy? What's not to like?

14. Thanksgiving. Make your argument. (For or against.) The most "family focussed" of the holidays and therefore one of my favorites.

15. Favorite thing about fall that I haven't mentioned in this questionnaire? My birthday!

Happy Friday, all.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:So the autumnal equinox was last Saturday... But I didn't think to make a Friday thread the day before. Besides, that would've been jumping the gun, and I'd rather not jinx the onset of fall, since it's still in the 90s every day here. Gross.

Anyway...

(re)introducing myself to running all on the treadmill these days so I hope not!
Haven't fallen yet while running - most embarrassing fall(s) are when forgetting to unclip bike pedals. Usually only happens when someone is there to see it!
3. Worst fall, period?
Fell down a huge flight of steps when in the 6th grade. Not good for the ankle... Of course, some cute girls were there to witness it!
4. Would you fall from a bridge if the only thing attached to you was a bungee cord?
Some of my fondest memories as a kid were jumping off bridges into rivers. So, sure!
Would love to!
6. Why do leaves fall?
to give the adults something to do and give kids something to jump in
Maybe a little of both - the feeling is sort of there for a while and then one day it becomes clear I guess
Try not to
Sounds like you have a story to tell?
With my running form probably. With most people, probably not.
Not really - but funny is a funny word

Nope - I miss the midwest. Down here, what leaves do fall just sort of turn brown and then fall off. No pretty colors... And no real winter either.
2. Have you had your first pumpkin-flavored treat (pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin bagel/cream cheese, pumpkin muffin, etc.) yet? If so, what was it?
Candy Corn! Love that stuff, but only for a time or two a year.
My favorite part is roasting pumpkin seeds
Pumpkin pie for sure
Because you were thinking of the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown movie just now? One of my all time favorites.
Unless you are a Virginia Tech fan and it is 2012. Then, it is not worth watching at all hahaha.
Here is my rant. Teachers go on strike and many people are angry at them and say they are just greedy and don't care about education at all. Refs go on strike and many people blame the league for being greedy and want them back because they perform an important function and should be rewarded. Not sure what that all means, but seems a little strange to me...
8. Do you think the NHL season will go as planned, given the stalled salary talks?
Who cares really. They lost me at the last strike. The NHL was really growing and now this again. As if they learned nothing. What a bummer.
October through December
10. Is it nice to have the kids back in school? I know they've been there for a while, but when I was a kid, we started at the end of September, so there.
That explains a lot hahaha
No - makes me want to run more and cycle less!
Right now, I would gladly take either!
It is fun for the kids, but should not be on a school night in my opinion.
It is all about family and that is a very good thing.
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. And the election will be over before too long and people can quit hating one another and thinking that those that don't agree with them must be stupid, etc. I really look forward to the United States that I love where people can disagree and still respect each other and not call each other names or beat up on them. Just sayin...
Happy Friday, all.
Back to you!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:24 pm

1. Any recent running-related falls? Nope, though this uptempo work has got me jell-o-legged enough to think I was going to faceplant once or twice.
2. Worst running-related fall? Drunk. Racing Aileen. She was sober. I tried to "run through her." Still have scars.
3. Worst fall, period? Separated shoulder on bike when I was in 8th grade. Went face first off a skateboard (feet strapped in with bungee cords) at ~15-20mph. A few bad spills on the road bike at 20-25mph.
4. Would you fall from a bridge if the only thing attached to you was a bungee cord? Eep. Probably.
5. How about from a plane, if the only thing attached to you was a parachute? Done it 3x.
6. Why do leaves fall? Snow + leaves = too much weight for tree.
7. Do you noticeably fall in love, or just kind of realize it happened one day? Kind of realize it in increments as it happens.
8. Please describe the proper technique for falling backwards. Try to roll and "slap" the ground with open hands. Don't use them to brace yourself.
8a. How about out of a moving vehicle? Roll off the side of the road. Cover face.
9. Is running really just controlled falling? Kind of, but no. I do keep my hips tilted forwards though.
10. Does the word "fall" look funny yet? Fall. When I was typing it, it did.

1. Is it fall yet in your part of the world? No. Grumblegrumblegrumble.
2. Have you had your first pumpkin-flavored treat (pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin bagel/cream cheese, pumpkin muffin, etc.) yet? If so, what was it? Yep, last night. First pumpkin spice latte ever. Wasn't impressed.
3. Have any amazing winter squash/pumpkin recipes? Yes. Small delicata squash, cut in half, seeded. Mix chopped tomato, garlic, salt, pepper, basil, and sausage (or meatless sausage), drizzle with olive oil, stuff, and bake. Top with seeds.
4. Do you even like pumpkins? Oh yeah.
5. Why did I automatically go from fall to pumpkins? See above.
6. Football is only worth watching when there's a nip in the air, right? Yes. Can't watch it if I'm in a t-shirt.
7. Speaking of football, go ahead and vent about the replacement refs. No opinion.
8. Do you think the NHL season will go as planned, given the stalled salary talks? Since the Ducks traded George Parros, I don't care.
9. When do the leaves typically change in your part of the world? Oct-Nov, here.
10. Is it nice to have the kids back in school? I know they've been there for a while, but when I was a kid, we started at the end of September, so there. I like being back in school. I like the excitement of elementary school.
11. Do you notice that your running declines as fall approaches winter? I become a sloth sometime in November through Christmas.
12. Do you prefer fall or spring racing? Both.
13. Halloween. Make your argument. (For or against.) Love. It. No argument needed, really.
14. Thanksgiving. Make your argument. (For or against.) What you've all said. Family + food. Also, end of training cycle and, in effect, training year. Meaning lots of food. And booze.
15. Favorite thing about fall that I haven't mentioned in this questionnaire? Coffeeshops are worth going to again. Get to sleep in more and not run in the heat. Blankets.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:43 pm

None recently.

I rolled my ankle on a root during a trail run a month before Tecumseh last year. I did a pretty spectacular wipe-out, but the main damage was from the twist. I paid for it on race day, reinjuring it, and spent weeks recuperating afterwards.

3. Worst fall, period?
Hellacious bike wipe-out when I was about 12. My nose hasn't been the same since.

Probably not. It'd be a pretty stupid way to die if something went wrong.

Depends if the plane was about to crash.

6. Why do leaves fall?
Because it is their nature to do so.

Yes, and yes.

Tuck and roll.

Tuck and roll.

People say it is, but it isn't. It's repeated leaping.

Not yet! You must be *falling* down on the job.

It's starting. It's a little cooler in the morning, and some leaves are stating to change color.

Not yet.

Sorry.

My birthday is the day before Halloween. For THIRTEEN FREAKIN' YEARS, I had to put up with little jack o' lantern candles on my cake. Which meant the cake HAD to have orange frosting, which meant it HAD to be angel food cake, which I DIDN'T REALLY LIKE, BUT I WASN'T MAKING THE CAKE, WAS I? SO JUST SHUT UP AND ... ahem. Er. What were we talking about? Oh, right. No, I'm not a huge pumpkin fan. Wink

You're a color-coordinated guy. Enough with the pumpkins, already!

Late summer night games are pretty fun, though.

As a Seahawks fan, I can't really complain. Very Happy

They still play hockey in this country? Who knew?

They're starting now, and will continue well into November.

I suppose. Alec is enjoying school a lot, and with Alita at school, too (she's a paraeducator), it's just me and the kittens sometimes.

Haven't raced all year, so I can't answer this one.

Fall, probably. I tend to have problems training through the winter only to hit a mini heat fest in a spring race and wilt.

All for it. It's a way to celebrate my birthday, albeit one day late. drunken

All for it. It's more genuine than a lot of holidays out there.

The quality of the light. It's beautiful.

Happy Friday, all.
Right back at you, Mike. Thanks for the fun thread!

Last edited by Mark B on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:45 pm

1. Any recent running-related falls? Not recently, although that surprises me somewhat.
2. Worst running-related fall? I slipped on wet leaves back in 2001 and severely sprained my ankle. It has never been right since and it is the same ankle/foot that I re-injure (achilles now).
3. Worst fall, period? I fell down the stairs tripping over my dog in 1986 and I had to have an ambulance come get me since i could not move. I still have a spot on my lower back that is numb from nerve damage.
4. Would you fall from a bridge if the only thing attached to you was a bungee cord? Not on your life.
5. How about from a plane, if the only thing attached to you was a parachute? See above, unless my life depended on it.
6. Why do leaves fall? Circle of life
7. Do you noticeably fall in love, or just kind of realize it happened one day? I ease into everything, except unconditional love of my daughter.
8. Please describe the proper technique for falling backwards. Not a clue.
8a. How about out of a moving vehicle? Less of a clue.
9. Is running really just controlled falling? In a way, yes.

1. Is it fall yet in your part of the world? In a metaphorical way, yes, but not in reality.
2. Have you had your first pumpkin-flavored treat (pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin bagel/cream cheese, pumpkin muffin, etc.) yet? If so, what was it? Pumpkin latte.
3. Have any amazing winter squash/pumpkin recipes? Pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin bread.
4. Do you even like pumpkins? Not without a lot of sugar Wink
5. Why did I automatically go from fall to pumpkins? No clue, but fall reminds you of halloween and halloween is about pumpkins.
6. Football is only worth watching when there's a nip in the air, right? Yes!
7. Speaking of football, go ahead and vent about the replacement refs. The Browns suck with or without them. Why when I leave the ATL do the teams become good again?
8. Do you think the NHL season will go as planned, given the stalled salary talks? I hope so or my daughter will be deeply depressed.
9. When do the leaves typically change in your part of the world? next couple of weeks. Some were already looking like they were beginning in the Metroparks last night.
10. Is it nice to have the kids back in school? I know they've been there for a while, but when I was a kid, we started at the end of September, so there. No, but that is for different reasons.
11. Do you notice that your running declines as fall approaches winter? Nope, I love running in the winter.
12. Do you prefer fall or spring racing? Fall, but this coming year it will have to be Spring, 2013.
13. Halloween. Make your argument. (For or against.) For, I guess, but I have no argument.
14. Thanksgiving. Make your argument. (For or against.) For, it celebrates our heritage and lets us eat a lot and watch football.
15. Favorite thing about fall that I haven't mentioned in this questionnaire? Cold, crisp weather and clear night skies.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Just pretend that I answered each question in a witty and indomitable fashion...

I saw old Autumn in the misty morn stand shadowless like silence, listening to silence.

Enjoy the Harvest Moon this weekend, folks.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:28 pm

1. Any recent running-related falls? Over the summer, I fell while doing a long run on the rail trail, which is stone dust at that point. Did a real number on the palms of my hands, huge bruise on my thigh, and did something (that still hurts some) around the ball of my left foot. Ouch. Got up, dusted myself off, and finished the run (several miles more - I forget how far).
2. Worst running-related fall? I think the one above was by far the worst. None of the others involved bleeding.
3. Worst fall, period? Lost my balance while standing on a bed in a dorm room in college, while holding a tray of glassware pilfered from the campus bars. Teetered on one foot for several moments, while the glassware fell off and crashed to the floor, one by one, leaving a deadly landing spot. Managed to do a controlled fall away from this disaster.
4. Would you fall from a bridge if the only thing attached to you was a bungee cord? No, I am afraid of heights in a big way and could not possible do so.
5. How about from a plane, if the only thing attached to you was a parachute? Only if the only alternative was certain death.
6. Why do leaves fall? Wind, rain, gravity, depression, aging. Just like humans!
7. Do you noticeably fall in love, or just kind of realize it happened one day? Every time is a little different.
8. Please describe the proper technique for falling backwards. I would try to go down on my butt. Shortest distance.
8a. How about out of a moving vehicle? Roll.
9. Is running really just controlled falling? No, it is controlled not falling.
10. Does the word "fall" look funny yet? Fall. No, doesn't seem odd to me at all. On the other hand, Fal or Phall would look strange.

1. Is it fall yet in your part of the world? Really just starting in southern New England.
2. Have you had your first pumpkin-flavored treat (pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin bagel/cream cheese, pumpkin muffin, etc.) yet? If so, what was it? Not yet. I do have a pumpkin plant, complete with quite a few small pumpkins, growing out of my woodpile, though!
3. Have any amazing winter squash/pumpkin recipes? No, but if you bake butternut squash with some real maple syrup drizzled on it, it comes out really good!
4. Do you even like pumpkins? I like to carve them, and that's about it.
5. Why did I automatically go from fall to pumpkins? Good branding by the pumpkin lobby!
6. Football is only worth watching when there's a nip in the air, right? Agreed. Nothing worse than watching football being played in the heat, or sitting in the heat and watching football. Ugh.
7. Speaking of football, go ahead and vent about the replacement refs. They were fun to watch, as long as you had nothing invested in the outcome!
8. Do you think the NHL season will go as planned, given the stalled salary talks? They still have the NHL?
9. When do the leaves typically change in your part of the world? Depends on all sorts of things. The elm trees go yellow first, and some have already done so. Stressed trees (those in swampy areas, for example) have started already. But the really good stuff is usually not until mid to late October. By Halloween, the leaves are mostly down, most years. I will be in New Hampshire, a couple of hours north of here, tomorrow and Sunday, and shall see how advanced it is up there. Expecting it to look nice.
10. Is it nice to have the kids back in school? I know they've been there for a while, but when I was a kid, we started at the end of September, so there. Yes and no. Miss my daughter, who is off at college. And now there are school buses to block traffic.
11. Do you notice that your running declines as fall approaches winter? After my fall marathon, I take a brief rest, and then usually take it easy until just after Christmas.
12. Do you prefer fall or spring racing? Short stuff in spring, long stuff in fall.
13. Halloween. Make your argument. (For or against.) Waste of time. Should be prohibited.
14. Thanksgiving. Make your argument. (For or against.) Awesome. Need more white meat. All stores should be ordered closed for a week.
15. Favorite thing about fall that I haven't mentioned in this questionnaire? Huge piles of burning leaves! Oh, that's right, we can't do that any more. Crying or Very sad
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:46 pm

1. Any recent running-related falls? Nope (knocking on wood)
2. Worst running-related fall? I don't think that I have actually fallen while running. I have tripped a few time for sure.
3. Worst fall, period? Tripped on a root ontop of a mountain in Hawaii. I fell off the ridgetop and almost fell about 1,000 feet off a cliff, but I happened to grab onto a small tree at the edge of the cliff.
4. Would you fall from a bridge if the only thing attached to you was a bungee cord? Yes!!
5. How about from a plane, if the only thing attached to you was a parachute? I already have...
6. Why do leaves fall? Death + gravity = falling
7. Do you noticeably fall in love, or just kind of realize it happened one day? I don't think that I have ever really fallen in love.
8. Please describe the proper technique for falling backwards. Hold your head up
8a. How about out of a moving vehicle? Get your legs and feet moving really fast.
9. Is running really just controlled falling? No
10. Does the word "fall" look funny yet? Fall. No

1. Is it fall yet in your part of the world? I think so, it is cold in the mornings now
2. Have you had your first pumpkin-flavored treat (pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin bagel/cream cheese, pumpkin muffin, etc.) yet? If so, what was it? Pumpkin bread
3. Have any amazing winter squash/pumpkin recipes? No, but baked squash with brown sugar in the middle is awesome
4. Do you even like pumpkins? Yes
5. Why did I automatically go from fall to pumpkins? Got pumpkin on the brain
6. Football is only worth watching when there's a nip in the air, right? No
7. Speaking of football, go ahead and vent about the replacement refs. They were doing the best they could
8. Do you think the NHL season will go as planned, given the stalled salary talks? What is the NHL?
9. When do the leaves typically change in your part of the world? Normally it starts at the end of september/beginning of october
10. Is it nice to have the kids back in school? I know they've been there for a while, but when I was a kid, we started at the end of September, so there. I don't have kids...
11. Do you notice that your running declines as fall approaches winter? That's because it is normally right after my goal marathon.
13. Halloween. Make your argument. (For or against.) Meh.
14. Thanksgiving. Make your argument. (For or against.) Meh.
15. Favorite thing about fall that I haven't mentioned in this questionnaire? There isn't a lot of good, but cooler race temps...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:40 am

1. Any recent running-related falls? Not lately, which is amazing, since I am a clutz...knock on wood.
2. Worst running-related fall? Probably in Bellingham, years ago. It was the first time, and I was so......shocked! I just lay there in a heap on the trail. Then I inspected my pretty slick skid marks.
3. Worst fall, period? From a horse, when I was in my twenties. The horse then stepped on my ankle. I still have a divet in my bone.
4. Would you fall from a bridge if the only thing attached to you was a bungee cord? Nosirreebob
5. How about from a plane, if the only thing attached to you was a parachute? And that would also be a....no
6. Why do leaves fall? to make way for new ones
7. Do you noticeably fall in love, or just kind of realize it happened one day? I wasn't so sure, but then when he smiled, I saw Cupid.
8. Please describe the proper technique for falling backwards. into someone's arms
8a. How about out of a moving vehicle? in a ball...protected your head and core.
9. Is running really just controlled falling? No
10. Does the word "fall" look funny yet? um, no.

1. Is it fall yet in your part of the world? The equinox has passed, and the days are getting shorter, but the weather is still glorious!
2. Have you had your first pumpkin-flavored treat (pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin bagel/cream cheese, pumpkin muffin, etc.) yet? If so, what was it? No, but I have had apple pie, apple butter and apple cider.
3. Have any amazing winter squash/pumpkin recipes? I just like pie, lots of it.
4. Do you even like pumpkins? Yes
5. Why did I automatically go from fall to pumpkins? Hallmark brainwashed you
6. Football is only worth watching when there's a nip in the air, right? football is dumb. Cross country is the proper fall sport.
7. Speaking of football, go ahead and vent about the replacement refs. Meh. They allowed the true nature of the players to come through.
8. Do you think the NHL season will go as planned, given the stalled salary talks? ?
9. When do the leaves typically change in your part of the world? Mid-October, but most of them stay green.
10. Is it nice to have the kids back in school? I hope it is nice for the kids.
11. Do you notice that your running declines as fall approaches winter? No, I love running in the rain. If I did not get outside, I would go insane. It may be slower, though...
13. Halloween. Make your argument. (For or against.) For. People need to learn that their neighbors are not scary.
14. Thanksgiving. Make your argument. (For or against.) FAMILY! COOKING!
15. Favorite thing about fall that I haven't mentioned in this questionnaire? It is when my birthday is. So it feels like my new year.
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:28 pm

about a month ago on a dark sidewalk

5 yrs ago when I ripped my shoulder, or maybe last summer when I hurt my other shoulder.

3. Worst fall, period?

My bike accident 4 yrs ago.

no

My grandpa did that (a paratrooper), I don't think it's for me.

6. Why do leaves fall?

They're dead.

Pretty noticeable. Even my grandma thought I was in love and I didn't say anything.

You shouldn't fall backwards, you should fall on the outer thigh or one butt cheek, per my ice skating PE class in college.

Vehicle better be pretty slow.

I don't think so.

Not quite.

yes

I made pumpkin muffins a few weeks ago with pumpkin I had frozen last fall.

Yes

yes

They're closely related in your brain and it's a pretty common association.

FB is never really worth watching IMO.

The last few weeks they started and things just keep getting prettier.

Not applicable since my daughter is 3 and when she is old enough will be home schooled.

Just when it starts to get icy.

Fall

Against. Really can't get away from the roots no matter how cutesy you try to make it.

For, because it's distinctly American and Christian, and we do all have much to be thankful for. However for my family it's a really tough holiday because of two really close family deaths around that time. Ever since I was 6 I associated it with when we visited my grandparents and my grandpa died the next day and last year we had another precious family member die shortly after Thanksgiving, so we're skipping celebrating this year (sorry if way more than you were asking).

After a hot summer, it's just nice to have the windows open and have nice fresh air.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down