365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Good Sunglasses

+8
Ben Z
Schuey
Jerry
Mike MacLellan
Kenny B.
Chris M
Michele "1L" Keane
wheakory
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need Good Sunglasses Empty Need Good Sunglasses

Post  wheakory Wed May 09, 2012 2:24 pm

I need to get a good pair of Sun Glasses for the road racing and training. I looked at the Oakley Fast Jacket sunglasses which are nice. I would want some that the lens are polarized and anti-fog/sweat where you don't have to interchange the lens. You don't want to interchange a lens when your out on a run. I also looked at the cheaper tifosi Pave/Tyrant Sun Glasses and they look nice as well. What are others wearing to fight off the sun and sweat?
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Need Good Sunglasses Empty Re: Need Good Sunglasses

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed May 09, 2012 2:37 pm

I like my Tifosi glasses since they do not fog, and in this humidity, that is a major plus. And they were relatively inexpensive. Not sure what model they are though.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed May 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I like my Tifosi glasses since they do not fog, and in this humidity, that is a major plus. And they were relatively inexpensive. Not sure what model they are though.
Thanks Michele could you find your model and where did you get them Road runner?
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed May 09, 2012 2:53 pm

I use the Oakley Half Jacket Polarized. I've been through 3-4 pairs although its all user (me) error with needing to get a replacement because I let them get crushed by a suitcase, lost them or left them somewhere my dog could get at them.

I've been able to find them on sale right at $100 but list is usually closer to $150-$160. Hunt around a bit.

I love them because they are super light weight. I like the half jacket (no hard frame under bottom of each lens) more than the Flak Jacket (hard frame all around each lens). I think the full Flak's are a bit more expensive.

Here's what I have:

Need Good Sunglasses Oakhjp10
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed May 09, 2012 3:02 pm

http://www.julbousa.com/performance/

I love this companies glasses I have a pair of the instincts for 5 years now and they look bran new. No scratches etc and I wear them on runs all the time.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed May 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Chris M wrote:I use the Oakley Half Jacket Polarized. I've been through 3-4 pairs although its all user (me) error with needing to get a replacement because I let them get crushed by a suitcase, lost them or left them somewhere my dog could get at them.

I've been able to find them on sale right at $100 but list is usually closer to $150-$160. Hunt around a bit.

I love them because they are super light weight. I like the half jacket (no hard frame under bottom of each lens) more than the Flak Jacket (hard frame all around each lens). I think the full Flak's are a bit more expensive.

Here's what I have:

Need Good Sunglasses Oakhjp10

Where did you buy yours at when you did see them onsale? Do they do well with sweat and fog on glasses.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed May 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Little more to my question. I sometimes run in really dark to sunrise conditions and then the Sun explodes on your face so the pairs that have been mentioned will they adapt to these conditions.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed May 09, 2012 4:58 pm

kory.wheatley@gmail.com wrote:Little more to my question. I sometimes run in really dark to sunrise conditions and then the Sun explodes on your face so the pairs that have been mentioned will they adapt to these conditions.

On your questions, they seem really good at handling moisture. It just kind of beads on the outside. They do fog a bit sometimes. I'm not sure if there's something you can spray on them to help with that. It happens rarely enough to me that I havent bothered with that but they do fog at times.

One of the reasons I like how incredibly light they are is I simply prop them up on my forehead when the light conditions don't warrant using them. I can run a whole marathon with them up there and they don't move and I don't notice them. So I flip them down when it is sunny, flip them up when I run in a tunnel or it gets dark etc etc

I think I found my last pair online at Overstock.Com but I'll look around and see if I see any on sale. Seems like list is always $150+ but you can find them for $100-$120 if you are patient.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed May 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Mine look like Chris', so I'm pretty sure they're the same. I won them, so can't help you with a place to get them cheap. I wear them motorcycling, as well, and they do fog if I have a bandana over my nose and am breathing through it. Sweat doesn't ever really become a problem unless it's the middle of the summer.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed May 09, 2012 7:40 pm

I just can't believe some of you spend $100 without trying if it actually fits?Last time I tried Oakley, none fit. Maybe Oakley is designed for mid age white men? lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed May 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Jerry wrote:I just can't believe some of you spend $100 without trying if it actually fits?Last time I tried Oakley, none fit. Maybe Oakley is designed for mid age white men? lol!

Or people that way more then 80 pounds! lol!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed May 09, 2012 11:21 pm

I have those Oakley glasses all the Ironmen wear. The Radar Path I think? I hate them.

Go with Julbo or Rudy Project with Polarized lenses.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed May 09, 2012 11:22 pm

Jerry wrote:I just can't believe some of you spend $100 without trying if it actually fits?Last time I tried Oakley, none fit. Maybe Oakley is designed for mid age white men? lol!

'Asian Fit'. No joke:

http://www.oakley.com/products/2242/6480
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu May 10, 2012 9:44 am

Ben Z wrote:

'Asian Fit'. No joke:

http://www.oakley.com/products/2242/6480

Haha.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu May 10, 2012 9:49 am

Since we are on the topic, do we need to be careful how to place this high priced sunglasses?

I have a native sports with dark blue coating. I constantly put the glasses on the tables with the glasses contacting the table, then the coating coming off. I didn't expect a $160 glasses to do that. but I read I did it wrong.

Geez, I hate the iPhone for the same reason too. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Thu May 10, 2012 10:57 am

Since I'm stupid on good quality sunglasses.and have only bought cheap ones. What model.would you get if I choose out of ruby and julbo. A lot on ruby show cycling and I guess I would choose out of the triathlete. Hate to admit it but I don't think have ever spend more than $20 on a pair.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu May 10, 2012 12:25 pm

kory.wheatley@gmail.com wrote:Since I'm stupid on good quality sunglasses.and have only bought cheap ones. What model.would you get if I choose out of ruby and julbo. A lot on ruby show cycling and I guess I would choose out of the triathlete. Hate to admit it but I don't think have ever spend more than $20 on a pair.

Julbo go with the Zebra Light lenses

Zebra Light®—from dawn to dusk
/ New in 2011, Julbo has enhanced the Performance range with a new
Zebra Light photochromic lens in protections categories 1 to 3.
Ultra-clear when unactivated, it offers excellent visibility in very low
light conditions and darkens extremely quickly to protect the eyes when
exposed to full light levels.

THis would be the ULTRA ones which is the most expensive of course at $180.00 If you want the next best thing go with

Zebra®—taking you out of the shadows and into the light
/ Lens developed for the Performance range and Julbo Goggles,
recommended for mountain biking, skiing and riding, and running and
climbing.

You have more to choose from I'd look into the RACE $150 or the Reflex/INSTINCT $130
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Thu May 10, 2012 2:54 pm

kory.wheatley@gmail.com wrote:Since I'm stupid on good quality sunglasses.and have only bought cheap ones. What model.would you get if I choose out of ruby and julbo. A lot on ruby show cycling and I guess I would choose out of the triathlete. Hate to admit it but I don't think have ever spend more than $20 on a pair.

These look pretty cool with the photochromic lenses (which change from 12-87% light transmission):

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_inner_detail.php?group_id=1&cat_id=30&item_id=SP043869

Looks like many / most of their sunglasses can be switched out with photochromic lenses. Pretty cool.

People rave about the Julbo glasses Kenny mentioned too.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Thu May 10, 2012 3:08 pm

Ben Z wrote:

These look pretty cool with the photochromic lenses (which change from 12-87% light transmission):

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_inner_detail.php?group_id=1&cat_id=30&item_id=SP043869

Looks like many / most of their sunglasses can be switched out with photochromic lenses. Pretty cool.

People rave about the Julbo glasses Kenny mentioned too.

These look nice and I like the way they transition and interchange. This is narrowing my decision
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu May 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Has anyone had any experience with Native sunglasses? A girl at REI has had a pair for 18 months for running & hiking and loves them. Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue May 15, 2012 8:58 pm

bump
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Wed May 16, 2012 5:57 am

I am bumnin' reading this thread. I had my $500 prescription Maui Jim's ripped off a couple of weeks ago. Why anyone would do that is beyond me. Need another Rx pair. Sucks as they are so expensive.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed May 16, 2012 9:55 am

mountandog wrote:I am bumnin' reading this thread. I had my $500 prescription Maui Jim's ripped off a couple of weeks ago. Why anyone would do that is beyond me. Need another Rx pair. Sucks as they are so expensive.

I guess they felt they needed those sunglasses more than you!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed May 16, 2012 10:03 am

ounce wrote:Has anyone had any experience with Native sunglasses? A girl at REI has had a pair for 18 months for running & hiking and loves them. Thanks.

I have it.

http://www.amazon.com/Native-Eyewear-Hardtop-Sunglasses-Platinum/dp/B000R2LKZU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1337176840&sr=8-9

Very comfortable, except I messed up the lens and may need to order.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Wed May 16, 2012 10:39 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I like my Tifosi glasses since they do not fog, and in this humidity, that is a major plus. And they were relatively inexpensive. Not sure what model they are though.

Love my Tifosi's! I was actually going to post about how nice they are for the same reason Michele did, but she beat me to it. Cool
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next